Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones epiphany
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 20, 2021 20:09

Let me state I am a long time, die hard fan (as many, if not most on IORR are). I had a moment the other day when I realized just how good this band is:

I was driving down the road listening to SirusXM Deep Tracks. "Blinded By Love" came on. While I consider this one of their weaker, filler type songs, I was amazed at how much better it was than the other songs being played.

While, BBL is no JJF or GS, it just shows that many of their "poorer" song are better than what others are putting out.

For example, Dirty Work was better than most of the crap being released in 1986 - Huey Lewis, anyone?

Re: Stones epiphany
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 20, 2021 21:14

I get what you're saying. I'll hear some Stones song, not necessarily a popular one, come up in my mix or Sirius and go, "Damn, I forgot how good they sound" compared to some other songs that've floated by. Regarding Huey Lewis and The News, if I remember the band name right, give 'em some props. They did some catchy tunes of which, alas, I can't remember one as I write this.

Date: April 20, 2021 21:47

dmay
I get what you're saying. I'll hear some Stones song, not necessarily a popular one, come up in my mix or Sirius and go, "Damn, I forgot how good they sound" compared to some other songs that've floated by. Regarding Huey Lewis and The News, if I remember the band name right, give 'em some props. They did some catchy tunes of which, alas, I can't remember one as I write this.

Maybe you found the "new drug" Huey was searching for..... LOL

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: April 20, 2021 21:59

Elmo Lewis-I hear what your saying as well. I had a similar experience with Almost Hear you Sigh. In the late 90s I was in my early 20s and working on the Dock at a JC Penney and my shift started at 4AM. I wasn't and never will be a morning person. So we would play the piped in music really loud. JC Penney at this time had a Music system similar to MUSAC but wasn't elevator music, it was a mixture of contemporary Jewel, Paula Cole, Wall Flowers, Goo Goo Dolls with a mixture of "older" soft rock i.e Rocketman by Elton John, Sister Golden Hair by America, etc. One month they had Almost Hear you Sigh in semi regular rotation. Never gave that one much thought in '89/'90 but hearing it mixed into contemporary music, it sounded REALLY good. Anothe rone that stood out was Sure Know Something by KISS from '79'sDynasty. Now know one on here is going to claim to like the Dynasty album or Sure Know Something but man that one was better than almost everything else too.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 20, 2021 22:33

Power of Love is a/the good one by H Lewis and the News.

Lewis being a Welsh name, like Jones. So an obvious Stones' connection there.

And both BbL and AMYS are ofcourse wonderful Stones' songs.

The latter had great dynamics live too. Worked really well do slow down the mood on those tours.
Like Love N Vain in '69 - 70.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-21 15:35 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: April 20, 2021 22:59

I love "Sure Know Something"!

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: April 21, 2021 00:36

Interesting that you say that. I was driving the other day listening to something similar when "Let Me Down Slow" from A Bigger Bang came on and I had almost the exact opposite reaction. I honestly thought a high school garage band down the street could something this bad. The lyrics were forced and sophomoric. The singing was uninspired and the music was the best part of the song and it was tepid at best. I think that for a band on cruise control it's hard to find genuine inspiration.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 21, 2021 01:05

Elmo Lewis
Let me state I am a long time, die hard fan (as many, if not most on IORR are). I had a moment the other day when I realized just how good this band is:

I was driving down the road listening to SirusXM Deep Tracks. "Blinded By Love" came on. While I consider this one of their weaker, filler type songs, I was amazed at how much better it was than the other songs being played.

While, BBL is no JJF or GS, it just shows that many of their "poorer" song are better than what others are putting out.

For example, Dirty Work was better than most of the crap being released in 1986 - Huey Lewis, anyone?
This is a great post! There is a certain flair which surrounds the Stones - it adds magic even to songs that are no masterpieces.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home