Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Lynyrd Skynyrd Live at Knebworth 1976
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 22, 2021 17:31

Sloppy, tired, messy, lazy, discombobulated...take your pick.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 22, 2021 17:35

I'll stick with Rock & Roll, son.

Date: April 22, 2021 17:41

And I'll go with sloppy, tired, messy, lazy, discombobulated Rock & Roll - clearly not the Stones at their finest, or even near their finest.

Date: April 22, 2021 18:24

teleblaster
It was towards the end of the set, probably during Freebird. Ronnie pushed the guitarists down the catwalk (which I didn't realise was a tongue until the stage was lit for the Stones.

smileys with beer

Starting around the 7:00 mark

Date: April 22, 2021 18:54

Always amazing to see Skynyrd dominating, firing on all cylinders, and at their finest, along with the crowd being completely swept up with the excitement the entire way.
Putting on an amazing performance like that while it was still daylight, and as if their life depended on it, no doubt they were a very tough act to follow.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: April 22, 2021 19:28

The version of T is for Texas from that show has been a favorite of mine for ages. Actually, every song from that show rocks.

Thanks for the heads up on this release.

Greetings from NJ.

Date: April 22, 2021 19:35

MisterDDDD

As good as this is.. The Oakland '77 show version, w similar daylight and a huge crowd was sooo much better.
The band (and crowd) in Knebworth seem a "little tired" in comparison..

All great though.. every outing can't be one's best ever. smiling smiley
Good on the Stones for having 'em...

Date: April 22, 2021 19:46

misterfrias
The version of T is for Texas from that show has been a favorite of mine for ages. Actually, every song from that show rocks.

Greetings from NJ.

Yes such a great show as they dominated the entire day at Knebworth, and while they were no doubt firing on all cylinders and at their finest, it wasn't even up there with their absolute best ever performances.
If the tired and ragged Stones c. '76 couldn't keep up with them at Knebworth, imagine them trying to keep up with Skynyrd during their absolute best performances? Not an easy task no matter what the circumstances.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 22, 2021 19:54

misterfrias

Greetings from NJ.

Combines Jimmie Rodgers' lyrics (and some of Ronnie's) with the Allman Brothers version of "One Way Out". Good stuff!

Date: April 22, 2021 19:54

The Stones didn't have to 'keep up' with anyone. It's only good for them that the warm up acts put on a good show. It's the Stones people come to see anyway. Different leagues.

Date: April 22, 2021 19:58

Yet Lynyrd Skynyrd left an undeniable impression on many even to the point of some claiming Skynyrd were far better.

Date: April 22, 2021 20:03

Elmo Lewis
One could argue that "Freebird" at Knebworth was apex of blues based rock and roll.

It's all been downhill since.......

I said one could argue that, not necessarily me.

Valid, and not sure I'd argue that either, but it was certainly a mesmerizing and historical performance by the band with people still talking about it to this day.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 22, 2021 20:23

I can't grasp why anybody like this band.

Date: April 22, 2021 20:35

Erik_Snow
I can't grasp why anybody like this band.

The Stones? winking smiley

Date: April 22, 2021 20:45

Speaking of warmup acts dominating, I saw a young Guns'N'Roses open for a tired old Aerosmith back in '88, and after G'N'R stole all the thunder as opening act, the show could have ended right there and then and 99% of the people would have been satisfied - including the majority of those who actually went to see Aerosmith. Having an opening act that dominates so heavily isn't really such a good idea for the headliner - especially when the headliner is all but forgotten the next day. Of course G'N'R went on to self implode into oblivion, but they left their mark on many in the beginning. I also saw them one year later open for the Stones in '89 at the L.A. Coliseum
(along with the forgettable Living Colour), and by then the damage was done and they were already done and over with...shadows of their former selves. Needless to say the Stones ruled the day, though I do recall some people thinking G'N'R were better - even from people who post here, so go figure.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 3, 2021 13:45

I just watched this yesterday and enjoyed it a lot . A lot of memories and good times . The band sounded fantastic and such a tight groove . I had fun singing along to this yesterday .

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: May 3, 2021 14:07

Hairball
Four Stone Walls
Yes, I was there. Great day - and they are the main reason.

They really woke the crowd up.
Best Freebird I've heard. All there on YouTube too.
Whisky Rock-'n'- Roller too!

And yes, best act of the day.

Most of that park's elm trees in which people are perched will have gone now.

I've read from quite a few people here and elsewhere they were the highlight of the day.
They were fresh, energetic, and on fire vs. the Stones coming on late and being way too sloppy and discombobulated.
On the other hand, there are some who feel the Stones were #1 and ruled the day, but that's mostly coming from diehard Stones fans.
Guess it all depends on individual perspectives, but like the SARS Benefit in 2003, many thought AC/DC were the highlight of the day.

As you say, Hairball, it indeed depends on individual perspectives. I saw both AC/DC and the Stones in Oberhausen (Germany). I really enjoyed AC/DC ( and their fans), but .... the Stones are the Stones (the Young brothers joined in with them for Rock Me Baby!) and they are from a different Galaxy winking smiley
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: May 3, 2021 14:21

georgie48
Hairball
Four Stone Walls

I've read from quite a few people here and elsewhere they were the highlight of the day.
They were fresh, energetic, and on fire vs. the Stones coming on late and being way too sloppy and discombobulated.
On the other hand, there are some who feel the Stones were #1 and ruled the day, but that's mostly coming from diehard Stones fans.
Guess it all depends on individual perspectives, but like the SARS Benefit in 2003, many thought AC/DC were the highlight of the day.

As you say, Hairball, it indeed depends on individual perspectives. I saw both AC/DC and the Stones in Oberhausen (Germany). I really enjoyed AC/DC ( and their fans), but .... the Stones are the Stones (the Young brothers joined in with them for Rock Me Baby!) and they are from a different Galaxy winking smiley
smileys with beer

Yes individual perspectives - there were some who said Metallica blew away the Stones in San Francisco during the ABB Tour - some of whom have written about it here!
I was at that show, but wouldn't know as I was at a bar pre-party during the opening set, but even if I did see Metallica hard to fathom how they could possibly blow away the Stones.
Yet no matter how hard it might be to imagine, there are some who are adamant about it which just goes to show...there's many things that can shape one's judgement and perspectives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-03 14:22 by Hairball.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: May 3, 2021 14:40

Just watched the 10 track dvd I’ve got of the Stones set. If I’d describe it in one word it would be ”loose”. Very loose. The Stones play more like it was a club gig than a mega festival. Mick starting to improvise on Country Honk etc.
Not the best Stones by any means but good in 1976 standards.

Date: May 3, 2021 18:48

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
Four Stone Walls

smileys with beer

Yes individual perspectives - there were some who said Metallica blew away the Stones in San Francisco during the ABB Tour - some of whom have written about it here!
I was at that show, but wouldn't know as I was at a bar pre-party during the opening set, but even if I did see Metallica hard to fathom how they could possibly blow away the Stones.
Yet no matter how hard it might be to imagine, there are some who are adamant about it which just goes to show...there's many things that can shape one's judgement and perspectives.

My oldest daughter happens to be a Metallica fan (what did I do wrong ? winking smiley). I joined her at their concert in Arnhem. Blow away? Yes, but then purely by noise power ... Not my cup of tea, but they made a couple of very nice songs which I listen to sometimes cool smiley

Date: May 3, 2021 19:48

georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
Four Stone Walls

smileys with beer

My oldest daughter happens to be a Metallica fan (what did I do wrong ? winking smiley). I joined her at their concert in Arnhem. Blow away? Yes, but then purely by noise power ... Not my cup of tea, but they made a couple of very nice songs which I listen to sometimes cool smiley

There was a time georgie back in the early-mid '80's when I had an appreciation for Metallica, but I was still around 20-ish and didn't really know any better. winking smiley
However I did see them live open for Ozzy c. '85, and it's safe to say that their "noise power" was louder/better than his, while Ozzy was drunk and a sloppy mess.
Fast forward to San Francisco during A Bigger Bang Tour apprx. 20 years later, and I hardly even knew Metallica still existed deciding to skip seeing them with many other revelers at a nearby bar.
But I vividly recall after the Stones set was over, while leaving the stadium there were gangs of younger fans practically chanting in unison "Metallica blew the Stones away!" while marching towards the streets.
I couldn't help but laugh thinking "not a chance", but they might have been there to see Metallica in the first place, and then I remembered back in the mid-'80's a similar scenario at the Ozzy show I attended.

Date: May 3, 2021 22:00

Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
georgie48
Hairball
Four Stone Walls

smileys with beer

There was a time georgie back in the early-mid '80's when I had an appreciation for Metallica, but I was still around 20-ish and didn't really know any better. winking smiley
However I did see them live open for Ozzy c. '85, and it's safe to say that their "noise power" was louder/better than his, while Ozzy was drunk and a sloppy mess.
Fast forward to San Francisco during A Bigger Bang Tour apprx. 20 years later, and I hardly even knew Metallica still existed deciding to skip seeing them with many other revelers at a nearby bar.
But I vividly recall after the Stones set was over, while leaving the stadium there were gangs of younger fans practically chanting in unison "Metallica blew the Stones away!" while marching towards the streets.
I couldn't help but laugh thinking "not a chance", but they might have been there to see Metallica in the first place, and then I remembered back in the mid-'80's a similar scenario at the Ozzy show I attended.

I (we, bunch of Stones fans front of stage) have very fine memories about AC/DC fans in Oberhausen (2003). They came to us and asked if they could get in front of us during the opening show of their favorite band and they promised to retreat as soon as AC/DC would leave the stage. Off course we said "Okay" and they kept their promise and thanked us for trusting them. Great. When the Young brothers joined the Stones we, the fans, exchanged smiles and thumbs up. That's the way it should always be.
smileys with beer

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 4, 2021 00:29

i saw the san fran shows with metallica opening. they were good, entertaining. but not better than the stones. the nice thing about a good, popular, successful opening act is they really prime the stage for the stones. wanna like skynyrd, fine, but from what i've see of knebworth the stones were good. it's the stones themselves that hate knebworth because they got royally ripped-off by the promoter. bill was the one who told that story. plus, spanish tony never made it backstage with the primo stash keith was waiting for. but enough with the 'skynyrd blew the stones off the stage'. their sets were twelve hours apart. skynyrd never had five seconds where they were better than the stones.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 4, 2021 01:06

sundevil
i saw the san fran shows with metallica opening. they were good, entertaining. but not better than the stones. the nice thing about a good, popular, successful opening act is they really prime the stage for the stones. wanna like skynyrd, fine, but from what i've see of knebworth the stones were good. it's the stones themselves that hate knebworth because they got royally ripped-off by the promoter. bill was the one who told that story. plus, spanish tony never made it backstage with the primo stash keith was waiting for. but enough with the 'skynyrd blew the stones off the stage'. their sets were twelve hours apart. skynyrd never had five seconds where they were better than the stones.

The Stones are my boys, but Allen, Steve, and even Gary could play rings around Ronnie Wood.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: May 4, 2021 14:50

MisterDDDD
teleblaster
It was towards the end of the set, probably during Freebird. Ronnie pushed the guitarists down the catwalk (which I didn't realise was a tongue until the stage was lit for the Stones.

smileys with beer

Starting around the 7:00 mark

I noticed a guy in the audience (before LS started playing) with this very funny (paper or plastic) cap on his head. The cap has the alternatieve shape of the Stones logo, anyone seen that one before?

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: May 4, 2021 18:43

DandelionPowderman
I don't think anyone in their right mind would call this "sounding tired" smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Good lord, call me a biased Stones fan but I would rather see/hear this every day and twice on Sunday than the Skynyrd set. That last few minutes of' Free Bird' just makes my ears/eyes glaze over. Fast frenzied guitar slashing just doesn't move me like those Berry licks....though, sure...LS is hitting all the notes, it's just that I don't care. To each their own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-04 23:31 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 5, 2021 13:27

Another observation from watching this on Sunday was how good the tone of the 3 guitarist was . I mean they were playing some nice vintage Fenders and Gibson's and that tone was delicious for me . The one that was lowest in the mix was Stevie Gaines and I would have liked to hear him better when he was soloing .

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: May 5, 2021 18:15

Well Wild Horses the Stones put on Youtube was from the Knebworth gig and it was pretty cool. It leads me to think they were satisfied with that performance enough to put it online. I enjoyed the rest I saw as well. It obviously was pretty cold that night but the band was fire.

Date: May 5, 2021 19:44

Mariuana
Well Wild Horses the Stones put on Youtube was from the Knebworth gig and it was pretty cool. It leads me to think they were satisfied with that performance enough to put it online. I enjoyed the rest I saw as well. It obviously was pretty cold that night but the band was fire.

They released the video on iTunes.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 6, 2021 19:21

Mariuana

It wasn't cold at all. A very warm night after a blazing hot day. There had been warnings on the TV not to start any fires as the vegetation was so dry.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home