Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Lynyrd Skynyrd Live at Knebworth 1976
Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: April 20, 2021 09:38

New release as BR/CD or DVD/LPs. I always thought they were on fire on "One More From The Road". But they are even more powerful on this one. Good quality concerning the BR. Love the pictures of the audience.

Re: OT: Lynyrd Skynyrd Live at Knebworth 1976
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 20, 2021 11:18

I just assume they were excellent that entire One More From The Road tour. So sad that they had just been renewed with Steve Gaines only to be cut short like a year later. They were firing on all cylinders.

Wasn't this when they broke the Stones rule and went out on their tongue during their set? Legends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-20 11:25 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 20, 2021 13:33

It was towards the end of the set, probably during Freebird. Ronnie pushed the guitarists down the catwalk (which I didn't realise was a tongue until the stage was lit for the Stones.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 20, 2021 13:51

RollingFreak
I just assume they were excellent that entire One More From The Road tour. So sad that they had just been renewed with Steve Gaines only to be cut short like a year later. They were firing on all cylinders.

Wasn't this when they broke the Stones rule and went out on their tongue during their set? Legends.

I saw the One More From the Road tour. One of my early shows. They were mighty. Also, Journey pre Steve Perry opened & were real good, too.

PS: I remember the tickets were a whole $6! There was another band on the bill but I"m forgetting who that was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-20 13:52 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 20, 2021 14:54

Yes, I was there. Great day - and they are the main reason.

They really woke the crowd up.
Best Freebird I've heard. All there on YouTube too.
Whisky Rock-'n'- Roller too!

And yes, best act of the day.

Most of that park's elm trees in which people are perched will have gone now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-20 14:56 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 20, 2021 19:01

Four Stone Walls
Yes, I was there. Great day - and they are the main reason.

They really woke the crowd up.
Best Freebird I've heard. All there on YouTube too.
Whisky Rock-'n'- Roller too!

And yes, best act of the day.

Most of that park's elm trees in which people are perched will have gone now.

I've read from quite a few people here and elsewhere they were the highlight of the day.
They were fresh, energetic, and on fire vs. the Stones coming on late and being way too sloppy and discombobulated.
On the other hand, there are some who feel the Stones were #1 and ruled the day, but that's mostly coming from diehard Stones fans.
Guess it all depends on individual perspectives, but like the SARS Benefit in 2003, many thought AC/DC were the highlight of the day.

Date: April 20, 2021 19:31

I was a die-hard Stones fan.

There were not many more die hard than me.

Stones were VERY disappointing. More on them later.

But this a Lynyrd Skynyrd thread!

So good to have all the Skynyrd footage.
They came on at the hottest part of the day ( very hot) and they still got people animated and on their feet. Far to hot to dance reall. You had to walk a long long way to get water. Most people were sitting tight and guarding their spots if the could.

Anyway, you can watch Freebird. Just joyous. One Big party them, from start to finish.
THAT was Rock-'n'-roll. As was disobeying Sir Michael's order not to step on his tongue.

Bassist wearing a policeman's helmet. ' Way to go'.

If I could post the link, I would.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-20 22:36 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 20, 2021 19:58

Why so little love for the Stones' set? Absolutely loved it!!

C

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 20, 2021 20:02

I saw them twice in 1976 - once in January with just Gary and Allen on guitars.

Once on August 1 with Steve Gaines - he really inspired the band to up their game due to his guitar chops, songwriting, singing, and all around nice guy personality. Hell, they even let him sing 2 songs on Street Survivors as a new member and having as notable a front man as Ronnie Van Zant! This is akin to The Stones letting Ronnie Wood sing a couple on Black and Blue or Some Girls!

Date: April 20, 2021 22:41

Ah, but I bet Steve Gaines can sing?!

It's about time they let Ronnie play and eng one on an album though.

One More For the Road is one of the best live albums there is.

As is On the Road by Traffic of course.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-20 22:44 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 21, 2021 21:25

Just watched the trailer and I am looking forward to this release . What a treat of a 3 headed guitar assault . To the Stones - how about releasing your performance AT Knebworth on CD/DVD ?

Date: April 21, 2021 21:38

Might be nice if the Stones released their performance at Knebworth on cd, dvd, etc. but maybe they aren't satisfied with the performance, though that hasn't stopped them from releasing other poor performances in the past.
As Four Stone Walls mentioned, the "Stones were VERY disappointing", but it still might be interesting to see them in front of such a large outdoor audience back in 1976. The same way it might be interesting to see the subpar SARS benefit performance from 2003....it would an interesting glimpse of the times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-21 21:38 by Hairball.

Date: April 21, 2021 21:51

liddas

C

Same here, liddas. There are about four numbers from the Stones’ set (that I’m aware of) on YouTube. The quality of the videos themselves isn’t exactly perfect but, even so, you can see that the Stones played well - in fact it was a gas!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 22, 2021 00:28

liddas

C

Pretty standard for even an off topic thread these days.
Band is quiet, so gotta find something to complain about it seems.

A few that were there, some liked, some didn't like it... fair enough.
Then there are those that weren't there but use "a lot of people are saying" or some such nonsense, using the slightest opening to bash the boys like it's their job.

Taking it as far as whining about "why no release??", while trashing it is a bit of a new creative low though. Someone did the same on the Mick & Red Devils thread...
"It's trash" and then "he should release it!" in the same sentence.
Very odd, but not unexpected.

Date: April 22, 2021 00:44

SonofHarlemShuffler
liddas

C

Same here, liddas. There are about four numbers from the Stones’ set (that I’m aware of) on YouTube. The quality of the videos themselves isn’t exactly perfect but, even so, you can see that the Stones played well - in fact it was a gas!

Not so sure about that as I always thought the videos showed them as sloppy and tired. Yes the quality of the videos is low, but you can still get the gist of it, as is the case with most videos.
And while some might have liked the performance and being there, Four Stone Walls has confirmed what the videos show - it was disappointing, and probably why the Stones never bothered to release it.

Date: April 22, 2021 01:46

Hairball
SonofHarlemShuffler
liddas

C

Not so sure about that as I always thought the videos showed them as sloppy and tired. Yes the quality of the videos is low, but you can still get the gist of it, as is the case with most videos.
And while some might have liked the performance and being there, Four Stone Walls has confirmed what the videos show - it was disappointing, and probably why the Stones never bothered to release it.

Four Stone Walls has confirmed nothing other than his opinion - and yours. I mentioned the videos because I thought they would show that the Stones’ performance was fine. That, of course, is my opinion and that of the majority of the audience judging by the reaction.

Date: April 22, 2021 02:04

SonofHarlemShuffler
Hairball
SonofHarlemShuffler
liddas

C

Four Stone Walls has confirmed nothing other than his opinion - and yours. I mentioned the videos because I thought they would show that the Stones’ performance was fine. That, of course, is my opinion and that of the majority of the audience judging by the reaction.

Yeah, he was there and confirmed my opinion along with others who feel the same, while unless you were actually there, you have your opinion and perception of the crowd based on low quality youtube videos.
The fact is, the Stones have never bothered to release it, and one can only conclude that at least part of their reasoning is because of the disappointing performance.
Same for the SARS benefit where they were clearly running out of gas, but you don't have to take my word for it as many who were there have written about it right here on IORR.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-22 02:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: April 22, 2021 03:12

This guy talks about The Stones in this video.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: April 22, 2021 11:28

MisterDDDD
liddas

C

Pretty standard for even an off topic thread these days.
Band is quiet, so gotta find something to complain about it seems.

A few that were there, some liked, some didn't like it... fair enough.
Then there are those that weren't there but use "a lot of people are saying" or some such nonsense, using the slightest opening to bash the boys like it's their job.

Taking it as far as whining about "why no release??", while trashing it is a bit of a new creative low though. Someone did the same on the Mick & Red Devils thread...
"It's trash" and then "he should release it!" in the same sentence.
Very odd, but not unexpected.

I was there.

I liked.

A lot.

Nobody blew anybody offstage. Skynyrd were on fire and played to a rapt audience in the blazing sunshine. The Stones came on in the middle of the night and played to a rather stoned and initially confused audience (there were rumours going round that everything had to stop at midnight). My friend was out cold for most of their set. The momentum created by Skynyrd dropped stone dead when 10CC played.

Skynyrd and the Stones felt like two different shows rather than two bands on the same bill.

Date: April 22, 2021 11:49

JohnnyBGoode
This guy talks about The Stones in this video.

[www.youtube.com]

Lol...dudes a comedian...in regards to Lynyrd Skynyrd going out on the tongue stage and supposedly stealing the show:

"Not only are we going to outplay you today, we're also gonna go down here and we're going to shit on your tongue.
Not only are we going to go down here and play amazingly, and go down here and shit on your tongue, we are also going to make sure that we are an act you cannot follow"

Date: April 22, 2021 11:56

I don't think anyone in their right mind would call this "sounding tired" smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: April 22, 2021 12:18

That was still early in the setlist, and it might be the main highlight of the entire set, but as the show goes on some of it gradually begins to sound like a trainwreck - much of it due to Ronnie's awkward sloppiness.
Better heard on boots vs. youtube videos, but it's not really a go to type of bootleg that I'd ever take the time to listen to very often, if at all. Mick seems to struggle a bit at times also. All in all, not their finest hour.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 22, 2021 12:21

DandelionPowderman
I don't think anyone in their right mind would call this "sounding tired" smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

This 'competition' is all BS. I was there, 30 yards from the stage)....anyone who thinks the Stones were 'tired' or 2nd fiddle to LS are deluded. (Including members of LS)
Yes, LS were amazing, no doubt but the Stones are in a class of their own, they played brilliantly and....this was England not Alabama. People were there for the Stones and stayed despite the late hour.

Those vids on Youtube are ok, but they don't convey the whole story, the vibe of the night, either from the band or crowd.

Normally I would say, "Oh, it's all subjective" but this time I think anyone who thinks the Stones were 'tired' were either tired themselves (either physically or mentally or both or....were harbouring an anti Stones sentiment which was starting to surface in London thanks to a few DJs cottoning on to punk which was just emerging on the club scene and slagging off 'rich' bands like Floyd, Zep and the Stones who did big shows.

Date: April 22, 2021 13:14

Hairball
SonofHarlemShuffler
Hairball
SonofHarlemShuffler
liddas

C

Yeah, he was there and confirmed my opinion along with others who feel the same, while unless you were actually there, you have your opinion and perception of the crowd based on low quality youtube videos.
The fact is, the Stones have never bothered to release it, and one can only conclude that at least part of their reasoning is because of the disappointing performance.
Same for the SARS benefit where they were clearly running out of gas, but you don't have to take my word for it as many who were there have written about it right here on IORR.

Yes, I was there.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 22, 2021 13:41

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]
DP , You just graced me with such a wonderful example of the Stones at there finest ( yeah I said that ! ) Mick dancing and prancing and singing , Keith Rocking out on his Zemaitis guitar and playing those Chuck Berry licks , Ronnie rocking out on his lead cig and he is so cool . The Stones are seriously rocking out and I want this concert in it's entirety in CD/DVD post haste -lets Go Glimmers - gives us what we want !!!!!!!!!!!Please !!!!!!!!!!!! If I were an attorney in a court of law I would most certainly use this clip to prove that the Stones at there most stoned or wasted or what ever other adjective you want to use can out play any other bands or artists period . This clip does not lie as it's right there for your eyes and ears to soak and bask in there full glory . The only negative is in the sound mix/board . That is so easy to fix in a remaster .Mick mic cutting out or dropping in volume when he went out on the tongue ramp .This is small stuff and if this is an example of there performance at Knebworth than I don't get all the complaining about there performance being less than . In fact I want more !!!!! A fine example right here of the Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 22, 2021 15:47

One could argue that "Freebird" at Knebworth was apex of blues based rock and roll.

It's all been downhill since.......

I said one could argue that, not necessarily me.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 22, 2021 16:33

EddieByword
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

This 'competition' is all BS. I was there, 30 yards from the stage)....anyone who thinks the Stones were 'tired' or 2nd fiddle to LS are deluded. (Including members of LS)
Yes, LS were amazing, no doubt but the Stones are in a class of their own, they played brilliantly and....this was England not Alabama. People were there for the Stones and stayed despite the late hour.

Those vids on Youtube are ok, but they don't convey the whole story, the vibe of the night, either from the band or crowd.

Normally I would say, "Oh, it's all subjective" but this time I think anyone who thinks the Stones were 'tired' were either tired themselves (either physically or mentally or both or....were harbouring an anti Stones sentiment which was starting to surface in London thanks to a few DJs cottoning on to punk which was just emerging on the club scene and slagging off 'rich' bands like Floyd, Zep and the Stones who did big shows.

This is a good call.

Personally - get over it if you think one band played better than the other.

The Stones in a league of their own...as "average" as they played is still a powerfull performance

Date: April 22, 2021 16:41

TheGreek
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]
DP , You just graced me with such a wonderful example of the Stones at there finest ( yeah I said that ! ) Mick dancing and prancing and singing , Keith Rocking out on his Zemaitis guitar and playing those Chuck Berry licks , Ronnie rocking out on his lead cig and he is so cool . The Stones are seriously rocking out and I want this concert in it's entirety in CD/DVD post haste -lets Go Glimmers - gives us what we want !!!!!!!!!!!Please !!!!!!!!!!!! If I were an attorney in a court of law I would most certainly use this clip to prove that the Stones at there most stoned or wasted or what ever other adjective you want to use can out play any other bands or artists period . This clip does not lie as it's right there for your eyes and ears to soak and bask in there full glory . The only negative is in the sound mix/board . That is so easy to fix in a remaster .Mick mic cutting out or dropping in volume when he went out on the tongue ramp .This is small stuff and if this is an example of there performance at Knebworth than I don't get all the complaining about there performance being less than . In fact I want more !!!!! A fine example right here of the Worlds Greatest Rock and Roll Band !!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
smileys with beer

Date: April 22, 2021 17:10

Compared to '73/'72, it must have come as quite a shock for many to see the general deterioration of the musicianship (most specifically lead guitar), not to mention the growl that Mick's voice had become, but these issues were recently discussed in a different thread. Of course at this festival, it was very late at night and the Stones came on very late, but those reasons shouldn't fully account for the generally "disappointing" performance.
But aside from the people who were there and thought it was generally bad, there's people who were actually there that thought it was generally good. It could be a case of "I guess you had to be there", but based on the videos and boots, it's clearly not the Stones at their finest unless you like sloppiness blended with growling vocals.

Date: April 22, 2021 17:30

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

They've rebranded it to "sloppy with growling vocals".
Straight faced.. Like that's a bad thing spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home