Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers, and the Man Who Made the Most Notorious Album Art of 1971
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 16, 2021 03:50

Featured in this article is Braun’s account behind the invention of the Sticky Fingers LP cover, from the identity of the crotch(es) on the album to the reputed source of the Rolling Stones’ iconic lips-and-tongue logo.

[www.vanityfair.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 05:09 by Sighunt.

Re: The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers, and the Man Who Made the Most Notorious Album Art of 1971
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 16, 2021 05:30

The article, interesting as it is, is pretty much unreadable for me.

Someone has, I'd surmise, transcribed a tape of the interview, and done it literally and precisely. Literal transcription of casual conversation is hard to read, and when the speaker is being very colloquial in his own language (I'm being polite there), it's dire.

Some folk may recall the Watergate break in, and then arising from that was the revelation that Nixon was recording everything in his office. The tapes of that became (largely) available, and when you read those you see lots of half sentences, etc etc. Spoken word is not the same as the written word.

I'd suggest using Google Translate, but that does not cover this.

It really should have been edited. (And if it has already been edited, what Patois was Braun speaking in the original!)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Re: The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers, and the Man Who Made the Most Notorious Album Art of 1971
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 16, 2021 05:40

CaptainCorella

Someone has, I'd surmise, transcribed a tape of the interview, and done it literally and precisely. Literal transcription of casual conversation is hard to read, and when the speaker is being very colloquial in his own language (I'm being polite there), it's dire.

It really should have been edited. (And if it has already been edited, what Patois was Braun speaking in the original!)

Very true, and I almost didn't post it for that reason. But I thought it may be interesting to some given the 50th anniversary of Sticky Fingers.

Date: April 16, 2021 05:48

Sighunt
CaptainCorella

Very true, and I almost didn't post it for that reason. But I thought it may be interesting to some given the 50th anniversary of Sticky Fingers.

Oh, but it does seem really interesting! Not least taken in the context of the never-ending-thread elsewhere here about who/when/how designed the Tongue Logo!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 16, 2021 06:27

CaptainCorella

Some folk may recall the Watergate break in, and then arising from that was the revelation that Nixon was recording everything in his office. The tapes of that became (largely) available, and when you read those you see lots of half sentences, etc etc. Spoken word is not the same as the written word.

I'd suggest using Google Translate, but that does not cover this.

That was challenging.

I got a few sentences in and started skimming. Nothing new but whatever. A great editor would've smoothed that out and made it flow. A good editor would've made it painless. An editor would've made it at least readable minus the need for a break.

It's the print version of the mastering for A BIGGER BANG.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 16, 2021 19:22

Yep, that's Graig Braun allright!
I have most of it on emails from him, but I was focussing on the logo, not the album. I was never given "green light", but it's all out now anyway, so that's great.
Several of the album images he mentioned and photos of the two stamps I do have in my files, but I would have to ask Braun first whether I can show them here.
He mentioned the very gifted Walter Velez (as I told before on "that other thread" and whose name I revealed there) eventually came up with "that perfectly sharp lined image" which became the USA version.
The mechanical man was Tony DiMicelli. He was there to make the three colour image perfectly complete, so it could be "distributed" for use on labels and off course the back of the Sticky Fingers sleeve.
At that time printing companies in Europe and elsewhere were already working with that primitive stamp image on label. Hence the differences.
When I was communicating with Braun, his saying on the logo design was sort of in line, but he told me he was very nervous and afraid that the Stones would sue him.
Good that he also mentions Aldridge's book here too, because that was at some point an issue for possibly "not getting the green light" for me.
What happened between Aldridge and the Stones back in 1968 is still "in the clouds" winking smiley
Nice interview!
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 16, 2021 20:25

The two stamps with 'The Rolling Stones' and 'Sticky Fingers' can be seen in Picture-3 here: [iorr.org] .

Date: April 16, 2021 21:50

Irix
The two stamps with 'The Rolling Stones' and 'Sticky Fingers' can be seen in Picture-3 here: [iorr.org] .

Thanks Irix!

Almost 6 years ago ... I didn't remember. Anyway, those images support Braun's recent interview. Still, I see what/where I have those album images ...
smileys with beer

Date: April 17, 2021 00:46

georgie48
Yep, that's Graig Braun allright!
[SNIP]
Nice interview!
smileys with beer

Any chance of a translation?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 17, 2021 01:10

CaptainCorella

Why? It's in English - [www.VanityFair.com] .

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: April 17, 2021 04:35

Craig is a pathetic liar. He claims to have done the art, yet he never did anything else...he owned the studio where it was created, which is why The Stones themselves credit it to Braun/Cefalu. Ernie Cefalu drew it.

Date: April 17, 2021 05:00

roller99

The Stones themselves credit it to Braun/Cefalu.

No, the Stones themselves credit it separately to John Pasche - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] , Craig Braun concept packaging - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] , Craig Braun / Ernie Cefalu - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] .

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 17, 2021 16:31

Irix
CaptainCorella

a tough but interesting read.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: April 18, 2021 02:34

Irix
roller99

The Stones themselves credit it to Braun/Cefalu.

No, the Stones themselves credit it separately to John Pasche - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] , Craig Braun concept packaging - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] , Craig Braun / Ernie Cefalu - [TheRollingStonesShop.com] .

I was only referring to the second one, same thing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 18, 2021 02:57

roller99
Craig is a pathetic liar. He claims to have done the art, yet he never did anything else...he owned the studio where it was created, which is why The Stones themselves credit it to Braun/Cefalu. Ernie Cefalu drew it.

“Look, you mentioned that some kid in an art school is working on a logo for Mick?” And he said, “Yeah.” So I said, “I need that, Marshall. Get the logo.”

"So I got my guy down, the illustrator guy, Walter Velez was his name. We combined the two in a salad, like a design salad. So I went through maybe six different iterations of that logo."

It's a proverbial "we" and "I" it seems involving the John Pasche logo.

Date: April 18, 2021 03:52

Irix
CaptainCorella

Read my earlier posting in this thread.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 18, 2021 15:00

CaptainCorella

CaptainCorella

Read my earlier posting in this thread.

Ahh, now I see - [iorr.org] - you meant a better transcription with a more fluid, more readable text ....

Date: April 18, 2021 16:49

GasLightStreet
roller99

“Look, you mentioned that some kid in an art school is working on a logo for Mick?” And he said, “Yeah.” So I said, “I need that, Marshall. Get the logo.”

"So I got my guy down, the illustrator guy, Walter Velez was his name. We combined the two in a salad, like a design salad. So I went through maybe six different iterations of that logo."

It's a proverbial "we" and "I" it seems involving the John Pasche logo.

That's right GLS. They started off with the black&white faxed (from England to the USA) image from Pasche in 1970.
Don't take the "I" and "we" stuff to literally. It's Braun's way of talking. In reality he discussed several options with Velez before reaching a "vedict". The most satisfying version was handed to DiMicelli for color technical treatment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-18 16:55 by georgie48.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home