Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick BBC interview incl Tour comments
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 14, 2021 22:42

NashvilleBlues
Hi everyone. New member. First post.
Looking at the NFL schedule and considering they plan to have full stadiums all season, it looks like The Stones could (in theory) start their US tour September 10 (one day after the NFL regular season kickoff) Since they take at least 3 days off between shows, they could fit in all 14-15 gigs in between September 10 and November 5. Thoughts?

Absolutely feasible NB, and Welcome!
Don't listen to the historically wrong resident downers who will look for every reason to say it isn't, your theory is a good one. They've juggled venues with the NFL before, no doubt they can do it again. Logistics will be tough, but they've had a loooooong time to work on potentials.

Unprecedented times call for unprecedented actions. I think we'll see a mix of the original venues with perhaps a few arenas and some creative outdoor spaces thrown in. Too early to speculate on dates etc., but I believe, like Mick mentioned "might start before you think; need to complete the US Tour"
Hoping for Aug- Sept personally.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 14, 2021 23:49

Thanks for welcoming me.
Everyone over 16 in the US can be fully vaccinated by mid-June. For me, that is the point when things should start getting back to some semblance of normal. I’m fully vaccinated and have never had covid, despite working in an elementary school with almost 500 mostly unmasked kids since August.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: April 15, 2021 04:07

Mick specifically mentions they "signed a contract" to do the US tour and "sold the tickets."

This is what I have been saying all along. That tour is there, it's black on white. Their intention (and that of every other party involved, incl. the promoters) is to actually perform that tour.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2021 04:23

Topi
Mick specifically mentions they "signed a contract" to do the US tour and "sold the tickets."

This is what I have been saying all along. That tour is there, it's black on white. Their intention (and that of every other party involved, incl. the promoters) is to actually perform that tour.

Perhaps Topi, but the question is when?

Nobody knows, and even Mick was reasonable enough not to make any promises or guarantees ""Hopefully things will be somewhere near normal by the end of the summer, let's hope, anyway",
Even with that cautious statement, some fans are falling over themselves as if it's all been etched in stone. Nice to hear Mick refer to the tour, but doesn't mean much at this point - not until the coast is somewhat clear.

And by the way, you were also saying the live pics on their site and social media were an absolute sign that the rescheduled tour announcement was imminent- that was over a month ago...still waiting.........

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 15, 2021 04:24

bv
They will tour eventually. That is for sure. Get your vaccine shots whenever offered. Be ready!
no poison for me.

Date: April 15, 2021 04:28

Hairball
Topi

Nobody knows, and even Mick was reasonable enough not to make any promises or guarantees ""Hopefully things will be somewhere near normal by the end of the summer, let's hope, anyway",
Even with that cautious statement, some fans are falling over themselves as if it's all been etched in stone. Nice to hear Mick refer to the tour, but doesn't mean much at this point - not until the coast is somewhat clear.

And by the way, you were also saying the live pics on their site and social media were an absolute sign that the rescheduled tour announcement was imminent- that was over a month ago...still waiting.........

I don't think I said the live clips/profile pic changes were an absolute sign of an announcement, I just pointed out that they have usually proved to be such. I think I used the acronym "FWIW" too.

Of course the question is "when", but the question might not be "if". At their age, it unfortunately also is a question of "if". Of course Mick's not making any guarantees, it's not his call at this point.

Date: April 15, 2021 04:33

Topi
Hairball
Topi

I don't think I said the live clips/profile pic changes were an absolute sign of an announcement, I just pointed out that they have usually proved to be such. I think I used the acronym "FWIW" too.

Of course the question is "when", but the question might not be "if". At their age, it unfortunately also is a question of "if". Of course Mick's not making any guarantees, it's not his call at this point.

thumbs up

Good to see you're being rational and realistic unlike some people marching around like a cheerleader announcing "the Stones are coming back soon - hip, hip hooray"!

Date: April 15, 2021 04:34

(pls delete)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 11:02 by Topi.

Date: April 15, 2021 04:42

Hairball, here's what I posted on March 23

Topi
"FWIW, the Stones just update their social media profile pictures. They don't do it that often, and it's often done in conjuction with a release (such as the GHS reissue and the Ghost Town single last year). It's just the generic red tongue at this point."

And here's what I posted back on February 21:

Topi
"We are still at the pre-teaser stage. This is where they tell you to subscribe to the mailing list and post those live songs. In years past, those have always been signs of an imminent tour date announcement, is all I'm saying."¨

In late February they did remind people of the mailing list and they did post all those live clips. Yes, it's died down since.

But - as I said back in February - we already have a tour. There's no need to actually "tease" an announcement anymore. You have a tour you signed up to do, you sold the tickets (even if you refunded some of them). You just have to re-schedule it. Of course they will be making a bigger deal out of it when they actually - eventually - hell, hopefully! - DO reschedule it.

Can't remember if any "signs" were there before the rescheduling of the 2019 dates after Mick's heart surgery. I wanna say they did post on Facebook etc. saying "we are going to have the new rescheduled dates soon" or something like that before all systems went go.

And yes I believe am being very realistic about all this. Sadly, we're all just watching the sand slowly running out on the hourglass. Can only hope the band is still in good enough health to perform when the time comes. From a purely legal/contractual standpoint the realism here is that there's still ink on the dotted line on the US tour, but nothing else that we know of so far, however strong those 60th anniversary London/RAH/UK rumors may be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 04:46 by Topi.

Date: April 15, 2021 04:51

I wasn't referring to March, but the Feb. posts - you even posted on Feb 20 in the tour thread "The Stones posted yet another live clip on Facebook" as if something might be brewing, but no biggie I gotcha.
The bottom line is nothing happened since those "clues" were given - no announcement, no new Stones tune, and as of today still nothing except a hopeful comment from Mick.
If I were a betting man I'd say nothing will be announced for quite some time, and when/if it is ever announced, the rescheduled dates probably wont be until 2022.

Topi
And yes I believe am being very realistic about all this. Sadly, we're all just watching the sand slowly running out on the hourglass. Can only hope the band is still in good enough health to perform when the time comes. From a purely legal/contractual standpoint the realism here is that there's still ink on the dotted line on the US tour, but nothing else that we know of so far, however strong those 60th anniversary London/RAH/UK rumors may be.

Amen. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 04:53 by Hairball.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 15, 2021 04:56

The question will be: can they still make (the requisite amount of) money when they can only half-fill the venues? And if the 6 foot distance rule even means anything, that would pretty much mean one-sixth filled venues?

I kinda don't see it until venues can be pretty much if not completely filled to capacity, all tickets sold or nearly so. Any less would mean they would lose or not make much money, certainly not up to the expectations in "normal" times, and it would be pretty embarrassing if they could not sell even those diminished expectation number of tickets due to public wariness of the plague.

jb

Date: April 15, 2021 04:58

Hairball, I also don't think any shows will happen this year. 2022 is my best bet. Spring/early summer 2022 in the US - God willing, and maybe the Royal Albert Hall shows in London to close everything out in the fall/winter of 2022?

Date: April 15, 2021 04:59

jbwelda
The question will be: can they still make (the requisite amount of) money when they can only half-fill the venues? And if the 6 foot distance rule even means anything, that would pretty much mean one-sixth filled venues?

I kinda don't see it until venues can be pretty much if not completely filled to capacity, all tickets sold or nearly so. Any less would mean they would lose or not make much money, certainly not up to the expectations in "normal" times, and it would be pretty embarrassing if they could not sell even those diminished expectation number of tickets due to public wariness of the plague.

jb

That's exactly why they are trying to buy time - which they quite frankly don't have - by dragging this thing out (to 2022). Since most of the tickets have been sold, how would you enforce the percentage limit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 05:00 by Topi.

Date: April 15, 2021 05:03

Topi
Hairball, I also don't think any shows will happen this year. 2022 is my best bet. Spring/early summer 2022 in the US - God willing, and maybe the Royal Albert Hall shows in London to close everything out in the fall/winter of 2022?

Yeah, that's my hope also Topi, but I'm really not that sure about the US dates being rescheduled ever to be quite honest - lets just say I'm hopeful, but uncertain.
Spring/Summer 2022 is over a year away, and at their old age...well the aging process tends to escalate. Best hope is for a short run at the Royal Albert Hall,
or maybe the larger O2 Arena...wrap it all up in London would be poetic, and would be a nice way to bid their farewells.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 05:04 by Hairball.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 09:24

Topi

You guys in the US are like lemmings, I’m sorry. The numbers are on the RISE again over there, despite fantastic vaccine efforts, because close to 1/4 of your population don’t think there’s a problem.

I really do not see our AGED Rolling Stones touring there or anywhere where there are risks. These risks. Not the risk of a plane crash or some other episode. These risks. If you think 2021 is realistic I reckon you’re dead wrong. As Mick sang 4 years ago “ get a grip” on reality guys. The pandemic is still with us.

Rod

Date: April 15, 2021 09:57

"You guys in the US"?

I'm not in the US. I'm in Finland. =)

And I full well know the pandemic is still with us. That's why I'm saying there likely won't be a tour before next year - and we'll be extremely lucky if it materializes even then.

I never once said 2021 would be realistic. I think 2021 will (sadly) be another off-year as far as major live shows are concerned, at least the big outdoor/stadium shows.

The fact, however is, that they still have not cancelled the tour and as Mick said, their intention is to perform it - though he did say it won't necessarily be the exact same tour that was booked. Did you listen to what he said? I went back and listened to it and here's what he says about the tour:

"- - in a way we kind of have to, because we signed up that we were gonna do an American tour last year. And we sold the tickets - - and, and, and - - people who didn't give them up, I mean some of them gave them back, but not everyone - so, I mean, I don't think we can do that exact tour, because, you know, won't be the exact time (??? *), but I think we are pretty much committed to having to do something like that. "

That's what Mick said himself, he specifically mentions the contract, he specifically mentions the US.

And he's not from or in the US. =)

Look, I know it's not his call as to when and how it will be safe to perform but the intention is clearly there. Too big of a payday to just scrap the whole thing now. But can they still pull it off - in some fashion - next year when CW is already 81? That's the, well, million dollar question, if you will.

(Asterisk: I don't know what Mick means by "(it) won't be the exact time". Is he talking about time of year or what?)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 10:13 by Topi.

Date: April 15, 2021 11:04

jbwelda

jb

Actually wonder whose risk that is. The promoter's? Band's still on a guarantee, right? Of course I have no way of knowing what kind of clauaes they have in the contract in the eventuality of a pandemic...

Date: April 15, 2021 11:12

black n blue
bv
They will tour eventually. That is for sure. Get your vaccine shots whenever offered. Be ready!
no poison for me.

Oh, just like 38 % of beer drinkers don't want to drink Corona? winking smiley

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: April 15, 2021 12:19

The vaccines work and reduce the risks of serious illness and death for those vaccinated to flu levels. We may get lots of infections, but nothing unusual compared to the past 100 years. You can see the results of vaccines in the UK, Israeli and even US numbers now.

That means the Band and Touring Entourage will be as safe as any other year - maybe better than 2016 in South America with Zika. So there are three issues:

- will something change again with the virus so the vaccines don't work? then the whole world shuts down again.

- will local authorities allow stadiums to be filled with people? this will depends on attitudes to risk, business, and the virus/hospital/mortality issues. The US seems more relaxed than most of Europe to me in this question.

- will the Insurers cover the risks? They won't cover all risks, and the Band must have lost plenty of money last year so they won't want to double up on that or worse.

It's not surprising some people won't take the vaccine, as plenty of people smoke for years knowing it will take 10-25 years off of their life. Or drink too much, or get very unfit etc. I guess it's your choice of poison. Difference is Covid kills in 4 weeks, not 40 years.

Shouldn't stop the rest of us, vaccinated, enjoying a Tour. But it will need normal numbers in Stadiums: half full, unless we all pay double, won't work financially.

Date: April 15, 2021 13:26

Apologies Topi.

Tours have been canceled in the past. It happens. Contract or not. Tickets are refunded.

Rod

Date: April 15, 2021 13:32

No worries! Yes, I'm aware tours get cancelled. And yes, contracts can be terminated/have out clauses. Especially easy if both parties agree to terminate.

My point is the band - and the promoters - have kept this one so far with the apparent intention to wait things out and deliver the tour as soon as it's deemed safe to do so. And this is what I took away from Mick's interview as well. What we don't know is the "when" and "how", but Mick at least seemed to hint it's not a question of "if" with him.

Keep hope alive!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 13:36 by Topi.

Date: April 15, 2021 13:45

Yes Topi. But this pandemic I fear will outlast them

Rod

Date: April 15, 2021 13:50

Topi
No worries! Yes, I'm aware tours get cancelled. And yes, contracts can be terminated/have out clauses. Especially easy if both parties agree to terminate.

My point is the band - and the promoters - have kept this one so far with the apparent intention to wait things out and deliver the tour as soon as it's deemed safe to do so. And this is what I took away from Mick's interview as well. What we don't know is the "when" and "how", but Mick at least seemed to hint it's not a question of "if" with him.

Keep hope alive!

Exactly this.

They will pull off this US leg (although much different now) as soon as it is deemed safe to do so. Mick is clear in that desire.."because the tour could be sooner than I think" has me hopeful for '21 still, but clearly it will be a challenge.

With lots of open air venues, proof of vax, and perhaps other measures, my money (literally) is still on a late summer '21 opener.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 17:43

MisterDDDD
Topi

Keep hope alive!

Exactly this.

They will pull off this US leg (although much different now) as soon as it is deemed safe to do so. Mick is clear in that desire.."because the tour could be sooner than I think" has me hopeful for '21 still, but clearly it will be a challenge.

With lots of open air venues, proof of vax, and perhaps other measures, my money (literally) is still on a late summer '21 opener.

I'll bet you $50 there's no tour by September.

honor system...loser gives to their favorite charity.

In other news, realizing you and I disagree wholeheartedly on "proof of vaccine" issue....I would just state that (IMO) Vax Passports are likely gonna be a lengthy (legal) battle unless they get the "may cause death by clot" side effect worked out.

IMO, it seems a bit of an uphill battle legally-speaking to force-segregate people for refusing to take something that "science" can't guarantee won't kill them....

Date: April 15, 2021 18:05

stickyfingers101
MisterDDDD

Exactly this.

I'll bet you $50 there's no tour by September.

honor system...loser gives to their favorite charity

In other news, realizing you and I disagree wholeheartedly on "proof of vaccine" issue....I would just state that (IMO) Vax Passports are likely gonna be a lengthy (legal) battle unless they get the "may cause death by clot" side effect worked out.

IMO, it seems a bit of an uphill battle legally-speaking to force-segregate people for refusing to take something that "science" can't guarantee won't kill them....

Done.

As for vax requirements, I get your point(s), but private facilities will be able to require them, barring a ban on them by the state (couple states trying to do that now).
As they should imo. If disclaimers are wanted, sure.. but let's also print up ones showing the risks of catching covid in unprotected crowds etc., unless they get the whole "death due to Covid" side affect worked out.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 20:41

The 2019 tour finished within days of the NFL’s deadline/requirements. So I wouldn’t expect the rescheduled tour to run through the NFL season. Most teams use their stadiums daily for meetings, offices, training, film, weight rooms, practice etc.

AEG (and Live Nation) have also said their tours will require proof of vaccine. Or possibly a current negative test or antibodies test.

The States don’t have enough people vaccinated yet to move forward with tour details and announcements. Or what entry requirements will be. Hopefully in another few months they will have details.

But don’t be surprised if vaccine proof is required.

Date: April 15, 2021 20:47

thecitadel
The vaccines work and reduce the risks of serious illness and death for those vaccinated to flu levels. We may get lots of infections, but nothing unusual compared to the past 100 years. You can see the results of vaccines in the UK, Israeli and even US numbers now.

That means the Band and Touring Entourage will be as safe as any other year - maybe better than 2016 in South America with Zika. So there are three issues:

- will something change again with the virus so the vaccines don't work? then the whole world shuts down again.

- will local authorities allow stadiums to be filled with people? this will depends on attitudes to risk, business, and the virus/hospital/mortality issues. The US seems more relaxed than most of Europe to me in this question.

- will the Insurers cover the risks? They won't cover all risks, and the Band must have lost plenty of money last year so they won't want to double up on that or worse.

It's not surprising some people won't take the vaccine, as plenty of people smoke for years knowing it will take 10-25 years off of their life. Or drink too much, or get very unfit etc. I guess it's your choice of poison. Difference is Covid kills in 4 weeks, not 40 years.

Shouldn't stop the rest of us, vaccinated, enjoying a Tour. But it will need normal numbers in Stadiums: half full, unless we all pay double, won't work financially.

Sure the vaccines reduce the risk of serious illness and death down to flu levels, but imagine being 80 years old and having the flu?
At that age, any illness can lead to other issues such as pneumonia which is considered a serious illness and can ultimately lead to death.
Can't speak for any of the Stones, but seems sensible that none of them would want to take any sort of risk involving illness, no matter how small that risk might be.
Which then leads to the the insurers...it's not going be easy considering all the unknowns and possible major risks that still surround the pandemic.
There's just way too many unanswered questions and problems to overcome, some of which you mentioned, to think this tour can possibly happen any time soon.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2021 23:42

I stopped going to Stones concerts after the boring 2013 tour. Now I might go see them one last time for sentimental sake. And McCartney too.

Date: April 16, 2021 00:43

24FPS
I stopped going to Stones concerts after the boring 2013 tour. Now I might go see them one last time for sentimental sake. And McCartney too.

Missed some great ones since then imo.
Even if I ever stopped going to shows, (which would never happen), I'd miss the fans, camaraderie, and hoopla.

Understand Macca. No disrespect intended, but the quality of his voice is hard for me to listen to these days. Last time I saw him was Desert Trip, where it was fine with some help from Neil Young and Rihanna, but his fading voice is hard to witness. Wasn't long ago his voice and shows were great, glad I went to quite a few over the decades, starting when he was the first act at The Kingdome in Seattle '76.

Date: April 16, 2021 01:51

mpj200
The 2019 tour finished within days of the NFL’s deadline/requirements. So I wouldn’t expect the rescheduled tour to run through the NFL season. Most teams use their stadiums daily for meetings, offices, training, film, weight rooms, practice etc.

AEG (and Live Nation) have also said their tours will require proof of vaccine. Or possibly a current negative test or antibodies test.

The States don’t have enough people vaccinated yet to move forward with tour details and announcements. Or what entry requirements will be. Hopefully in another few months they will have details.

But don’t be surprised if vaccine proof is required.

It will definitely take some time before anything can get ironed out, and I imagine for something massive like a Stones tour there are thousand of details involved.
Even before all of these current covid hurdles entered the picture, it must have taken a team of rocket scientists to figure it all out! Not sure what it will take in todays world, but it certainly won't be quick and easy.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home