Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Any love for The Band?
Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 14, 2021 00:47

I am right now listening to The Band Live at the Academy of Music 1971. I think this is one of the finest live albums that has ever been released. Any single track is outstanding and the mixing done by Bob Clearmountain sounds so crystal clear but is not lacking any atmosphere. A perfect example of how vintage concert releases should sound. If you've never listened to this album you really should do it. It's music in perfection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-14 00:47 by hockenheim95.

Re: OT - Any love for The Band?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 14, 2021 00:56

They were awesome. Between them and Little Feat... excellent musicianship, great songs.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 14, 2021 00:59

hockenheim95
I am right now listening to The Band Live at the Academy of Music 1971. I think this is one of the finest live albums that has ever been released. Any single track is outstanding and the mixing done by Bob Clearmountain sounds so crystal clear but is not lacking any atmosphere. A perfect example of how vintage concert releases should sound. If you've never listened to this album you really should do it. It's music in perfection.

The 1971 Live at Albert Hall concert that was included on the Stage Fright box-set is also great!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 14, 2021 02:06

I do love The Band - for me there was always a certain timelessness and mysteriousness about them...as if they'd been around for over a century...

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 14, 2021 02:19

With the release of Music From Big Pink they became one of my faves. It was a whole new sound to me. The album The Band was something extraordinary. I believe it's what got me into roots music which somewhere down the road came to be called Americana. Their Rock Of Ages live album is very good. I saw them live with the original lineup probably at least 7 or 8 times, that's how much they captured me. I have some of the early Robbie Robertson solo stuff along with a couple of Levon Helm albums. A number of their songs are in my ongoing music mix on the Walkman.

Here's Marty Stuart and the Staples Singers covering The Weight. (If you don't know of or have the Rhythm Country and Blues album, go forth and get it. It's a treat.)

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 14, 2021 02:25

Yes I really appreciate the band, enjoying the Stagefright 50th anniversary. They are a bittersweet but intriguing story, the early passing of Manuel and Danko what a bummer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-14 06:12 by Maindefender.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: April 14, 2021 04:14

I have the Rock of Ages release, but I never bought the Academy of Music release.

It's the same shows, I think....right?

If you have both, how would you compare them.

I really like Rock of Ages, so I'm guessing the more recent AoM edition is pretty damn solid as well.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 14, 2021 07:45

yes!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 14, 2021 07:55

Never really knew who they were until I saw The Last Waltz on tv! Absolutely love Neil Young performing Helpless with them.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 14, 2021 09:34

Love them. Amazing playing and musicianship. And some amazing songs as well.
The currently ongoing reissue series (with the Bob Clearmountain remixes) is highly recommended.

The Academy Music album is from the same concerts as Rock of Ages but remixed and with a longer song list. This new version is among my favorite reissues of classic albums (along with the Goats Head Soup reissue).

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 14, 2021 11:54

I was there when The Band burst upon the scene. I am not exaggerating. Their uniqueness blew everyone's minds. Even Eric Clapton who wanted to run away and join them. He couldn't genuflect to them enough. I saw them live circa 1969 at my university. Albert Grossman was on the soundboard, stationed in middle of the audience

Wheels on Fire is my favorite tune and also the Byrd's version

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2021 12:03

Those first two albums ... ya can taste the dirt in em ....
Danko's Make No Difference from Waltz still makes the heart stagger ....

Share Your Love is a heart crippler tooooooo ....,
Richard Manuel .. what a voice ... sad exit ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 14, 2021 12:59

Yes!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 14, 2021 13:32

A mighty awesome group of the highest caliber and talent ever assembled .

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 14, 2021 13:56

I love them, my favourite song is Look Out Cleveland, I had it in my head all the way when I flew out from Cleveland having seen Oasis, to Houston to go through to LA to record a demo with my cousin in september 2005. I gotta get this live recording, mixed by Clearmountain! Must be great!

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 14, 2021 14:20

they were the only musicians who worked with/for Bob Dylan and who where able to step out of his shadow

Date: April 14, 2021 14:23

TheGreek
Drugs and heroin was their downfall. Alcohol is only mentioned with Richard Manuel, but probably this too. What a shame.

Date: April 14, 2021 14:27

Bjorn
Yes!

Strangely enough the Band's premier website comes out of Norway.

The Band
theband.hiof.no
Welcome to The Band web site, the definitive Internet resource on one of the greatest ensembles in the history of rock music. This site is no longer active, but our massive archives will be kept on-line.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 14, 2021 15:15

DGA35
Never really knew who they were until I saw The Last Waltz on tv! Absolutely love Neil Young performing Helpless with them.

Note the white powder under Neil's nose....

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 14, 2021 17:05

The Band were a fantastic group.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 14, 2021 19:07

Bob Dylan loved them.
Chest Fever is one of my favorite songs.
Love The Band!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 14, 2021 19:20

Small Town Talk is a great book

jb

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 14, 2021 20:27

I've only got one album by The Band and that was the 1969 album with the same name I bought back then.

A really great album I play quite a lot these days.

Just recently I posted about the UK Americana awards best album ever .
You had to put in 3 votes for albums on the short list of 20 .
I was hoping a pal of mine, Peter Bruntnell might get it and he did get placed 6th.

The Band came second and my third choice was Son Volt who came seventh.

Here are the Top 20 if anyone's interested. thumbs up

[americana-uk.com]

Date: April 14, 2021 21:31

triceratops
TheGreek
Drugs and heroin was their downfall. Alcohol is only mentioned with Richard Manuel, but probably this too. What a shame.
yeah but they are all stoned . All of the bands and artists . Some are better at it than others . The Band were a super group before that was even invented/ created . Singing in 3 part harmony and super talents on their instruments . It's like catching lighting in a bottle . What a shame is right that Robbie had to kill the group , because he went all Hollywood and because he didn't want to die . Hey who knows ? That is one fella not beloved in certain parts of the country .

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: April 15, 2021 04:33

Tremendous group! Got hooked on them early on. Seen them in nyc felt forum in 69. also central park. in 74 saw them 3 nites in a row with dylan! 2in the garden-1 in nassau coliseum-wild. also that little gig in upstate ny.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 15, 2021 14:13

I think Danko was my first "man crush"...is that enough love for The BAnd?

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: April 15, 2021 14:21

Absolutely love The Band.
Everytime I listen to them I find something new, some little melody, some rhythmic element, some little melody, some counterpoint I hadn't noticed before.

I can't listen to music in the background, so I listen to music very focussed, so it doesn't happen very often, but if so, it's always pure joy to listen to The Band.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 15, 2021 14:54

The Band is incredible. I've always loved the Last Waltz even if its a glorified document of them. Honestly, never bothered me. They deserve it, and it was a good call from Robbie in the long run. The Band has always been one of the greats and that 10 year period they were around, as well as with Bob Dylan as his backing band, are easy Hall Of Fame worthy. Each one of those band members was an insane talent. Its sad we've lost so many of them already. Each one is a legend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 14:54 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 21:36

I'm a fan of Robbie's solo work but The Band just doesn't do much for me. Levon's singing too hokey for me. Sorry - you asked LOL

Date: April 16, 2021 17:13

Lynd8
I'm a fan of Robbie's solo work but The Band just doesn't do much for me. Levon's singing too hokey for me. Sorry - you asked LOL
Is this April fools day ? You like Robbie's voice ? Did you know in the Band they had his mic turned off so he wouldn't send concert goers heading for the doors with his screeches and other assorted non singing sounds emanating from his windpipe .

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1427
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home