Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 24
Re: NEW!- EAZY SLEAZY — Mick Jagger with Dave Grohl
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 18, 2021 02:52

shadooby
Accolades mean squat, the proof's in the pudding to me. Jethro Tull once WON A GRAMMY and beat Metallica for best metal album, come on man...that didn't automatically make them a great METAL band...rap and hip hop artists are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, that doesn't automatically make them great ROCK acts now does it? I do take your opinion into consideration and agree to disagree.

This incident is often cited as an example of the Grammy Awards selection committee being out of touch with popular sentiment
[en.wikipedia.org]

Milli Vanilli WON A GRAMMY
[en.wikipedia.org]

Internationally, Milli Vanilli sold approximately 30 MILLION (take that Dave) singles.

Foo Fighters have sold 30 Million ALBUMS.
(12 million was US sales, also 2015 stats so more now)
Additionally, they have put out 56 singles despite being a rock band vs Milli's pop status (most of their singles sold were their same hit, just in different languages/countries)

Grabbing a pop anomaly and thinking it somehow proves the point, is weak.
12 Grammys, Best Rock Albums etc., etc., etc., are pretty strong bona-fides..beyond subjective imo. HOF beefs have nothing to do with this issue.

Hey man, I'm no huge fan either.. but to deny Grohl's status and talent all for the purpose of Mick bashing is a bit much drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-18 03:14 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2021 03:58

Play five times before ya listen ........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2021 14:00

Still wondering about the 'official status' of this track. Still the only way it is released is via YouTube. And there is no any hint of Universal or any other company being involved (rights, license) - that's not the case, for example, with Jagger's earlier single "Get A Grip"/"England Lost". All those earlier videos in youtube are strictly pointed out being "licenced by" Universal. The track's' only home and source is Mick's own youtube channel.

Could it really be that Mick and Dave - with a little help from some of their friends - really did and relaese this whole thing just by themselves? Aren't there some contractual commitments for both guys to obey in regard their releases? Or can all of those be passed or ignored in youtube as a form of personal social media postings or something? In the sense Mick - or Keith - is sharing in instagram (or wherever) short clips of them rehearsing in studio or something. That this is legally similar, just a more worked piece? Can that be even possible?

Sad that any of those quite long reviews of it I've seen by now - busy to spell out after first watch its whatever faults from tiktoks to technical shortcomings and it not being the second coming of "Gimme Shelter" - aren't really paying any attention to its nature - what kind of release it exactly is.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-18 14:10 by Doxa.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 18, 2021 14:21

everything’s smooth and greasy.

Date: April 18, 2021 14:26

Haha, while checking the infos about Mick's earlies videos, I listened "Gotta Get A Grip", something I haven't done for some time I notice, and I made a funny observation. I recall it being a busy and high-level energetic track, but now - after "Easy Sleazy" - it sounded pretty lame in that regard... Mick is pulling more gas...

- Doxa

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 18, 2021 15:07

Doxa
Still wondering about the 'official status' of this track. Still the only way it is released is via YouTube. And there is no any hint of Universal or any other company being involved (rights, license) - that's not the case, for example, with Jagger's earlier single "Get A Grip"/"England Lost". All those earlier videos in youtube are strictly pointed out being "licenced by" Universal. The track's' only home and source is Mick's own youtube channel.

Could it really be that Mick and Dave - with a little help from some of their friends - really did and relaese this whole thing just by themselves? Aren't there some contractual commitments for both guys to obey in regard their releases? Or can all of those be passed or ignored in youtube as a form of personal social media postings or something? In the sense Mick - or Keith - is sharing in instagram (or wherever) short clips of them rehearsing in studio or something. That this is legally similar, just a more worked piece? Can that be even possible?

Sad that any of those quite long reviews of it I've seen by now - busy to spell out after first watch its whatever faults from tiktoks to technical shortcomings and it not being the second coming of "Gimme Shelter" - aren't really paying any attention to its nature - what kind of release it exactly is.

- Doxa

Interesting question, once again. Technically, Mick as a solo artist is free from any current contractual obligations, while the Foo Fighters are signed to Sony as a band and without knowing their contractual details with Sony it's just guessing if Sony has any stake or legal stand in any of Dave's solo activities. Even if that's actually the case, the days of George Harrison appearing under the pseudonym of "L'Angelo Misterioso" on Cream's "Badge" for contractual reasons are over. Record companies are much more cooperative on stuff like that nowadays, as long as it does not hurt them financially, and that's surely not the case as the cooperation with Mick Jagger actually adds to the "value" of Grohl.

But the question is if this is really a "commercial release" after all as so far a streaming video is all that is available? Is it really any different than the Foo Fighters backing Mick on "19th Nervous Breakdown" and "IORR" on Saturday Night Live? Is this release any different from a live or pre-recorded TV Broadcast just because it's a new and previously unheard song?

I'd say "no", and for the busy reviewers all over the world, the legalities of such a move don't seem to make any difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-18 15:11 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 18, 2021 15:44

I think he did this one for the grandkids.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 18, 2021 16:00

Doxa
Haha, while checking the infos about Mick's earlies videos, I listened "Gotta Get A Grip", something I haven't done for some time I notice, and I made a funny observation. I recall it being a busy and high-level energetic track, but now - after "Easy Sleazy" - it sounded pretty lame in that regard... Mick is pulling more gas...

- Doxa

GGAG (Kevin Parker Remix) it's still good!!
[youtu.be]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2021 16:26

shadooby
Mick has always felt the need to collaborate with younger or current popular artists try to continue to be "hip" or whatever regardless of their true talent. Like he really needs to...NOT. I mean after all he is the king of the hipsters and always will be, and I mean that. After all he's Mick Freakin' Jagger! Grohl was a good drummer in a great band for their time, nothing more. Everything he's done since is just him capitalizing on Cobain's Nirvana and without being in that band you wouldn't even know his name.

what is this "Nirvana" you speak of?

Date: April 18, 2021 16:35

shadooby
treaclefingers
shadooby
I’m sorry to any poor soul that likes this guy he just does absolutely nothing for me. I simply cannot get into anything he does. And I even like a few Nirvana songs.

You refute yourself immediately. Well played.

I meant his stuff post Nirvana of which he was just the drummer, as Cobain was the main singer/songwriter. It would make sense to anyone with half a brain, well played.

OH...got it now. So when you say you feel sorry for 'any poor soul that likes this guy', you're just being sarcastic, and not actually feeling sorry for them.

You spend an inordinate amount of time on a thread for a song you claim you don't like. Why would you say that is? Is it because you REALLY don't like the guy and want all of us to know that?

Don't you think that's a bit compulsive? Just curious, because a lot of people might just have 'moved on' instead. Mind sharing for us?

Thanks!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 18, 2021 16:56

retired_dog
Doxa

- Doxa

Interesting question, once again. Technically, Mick as a solo artist is free from any current contractual obligations, while the Foo Fighters are signed to Sony as a band and without knowing their contractual details with Sony it's just guessing if Sony has any stake or legal stand in any of Dave's solo activities. Even if that's actually the case, the days of George Harrison appearing under the pseudonym of "L'Angelo Misterioso" on Cream's "Badge" for contractual reasons are over. Record companies are much more cooperative on stuff like that nowadays, as long as it does not hurt them financially, and that's surely not the case as the cooperation with Mick Jagger actually adds to the "value" of Grohl.

But the question is if this is really a "commercial release" after all as so far a streaming video is all that is available? Is it really any different than the Foo Fighters backing Mick on "19th Nervous Breakdown" and "IORR" on Saturday Night Live? Is this release any different from a live or pre-recorded TV Broadcast just because it's a new and previously unheard song?

I'd say "no", and for the busy reviewers all over the world, the legalities of such a move don't seem to make any difference.

Interesting questions.. I think this likely qualifies as a "commercial release", particularly after the NFT release and auction, although that's such a new medium perhaps no legal contractual language even exists for those yet.

Is there going to be any actual profits from this release to argue over is what I'm also curious about. With 100% of the NFT auction proceeds going to charity, and no physical or streaming of the song for purchase.. it would appear that so far none that any label would/could seek damages for. Imagine there's some Youtube money involved, less than 100k if the views are monetized, but perhaps production costs etc offset or proceeds are also donated.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 18, 2021 17:14

KRiffhard
Doxa

- Doxa

[youtu.be]

Yeah that's the best version, possibly because KP (dude from Tame Impala) tried to inject a little more melody in that otherwise barren track (unusual for Mick since he seems to be a fan of "striking" bridges) with a nice guitar riff between 1:24 and 1:43 and repeated a couple of times later. in ES it seems Grohl may have injected a bit of his "touch" in the chorus/bridge too.

By the way, anyone wanting to listen to the best live version of IORR on a quiet Sunday afternoon without having it handy, here you go : [www.dailymotion.com]
Can be downloaded here : [gofile.io]
You're welcome !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-18 17:15 by gotdablouse.

Date: April 18, 2021 17:43

KRiffhard
Doxa

- Doxa

[youtu.be]

Oh yes it is! Parker actually made so much changes - especially the addition godtablouse mentioned above - that he might almost have earned a songcredit. Actually I like all of its reincarnations (it really was a bunch of songs, like I argued at the time), and my point was not to downplay its worthy but just refresh my own recollection how energetic the track - in any its versions - sounded back then. But "Easy Sleazy" showed that there is even more gas left in Mick's tank...

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-18 17:44 by Doxa.

Date: April 18, 2021 18:20

MisterDDDD
retired_dog
Doxa

- Doxa

Interesting questions.. I think this likely qualifies as a "commercial release", particularly after the NFT release and auction, although that's such a new medium perhaps no legal contractual language even exists for those yet.

Is there going to be any actual profits from this release to argue over is what I'm also curious about. With 100% of the NFT auction proceeds going to charity, and no physical or streaming of the song for purchase.. it would appear that so far none that any label would/could seek damages for. Imagine there's some Youtube money involved, less than 100k if the views are monetized, but perhaps production costs etc offset or proceeds are also donated.

Thank you, both of you for replies. Yeah, it could be very well that since there are not any financial profit to be seen, and no matter what way Jagger and Grohl are contractually linked to UMG/Sony, the record companies do not mind or have okayed the project ('let the good clients have just fun with themselves'). The fact that it is not distributed in Spotify and similar online services might also indicate that they have made sure that no clash of interest arises.

From what I see YouTube still remains a kind of 'no one's land' or relatively 'free world' in streaming business - record companies use it as a platform to release 'officially' some old arhives material for a day or two to avoid losing rights (hello ABKCO), the artists to put out these non-contractual 'robin hood' releases like Mick supposedly now, the bootleggers still being relatively well tolerated, if there is not a bad conflict with official releases... As I have understood (like I mentioned earlier in this thread), YouTube pays relatively less to artists than other services (was it something like one to ten if compared to Spotify per view/stream). But at the same time it most likely reaches biggest audience.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-18 18:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 18, 2021 18:56

treaclefingers
shadooby
Mick has always felt the need to collaborate with younger or current popular artists try to continue to be "hip" or whatever regardless of their true talent. Like he really needs to...NOT. I mean after all he is the king of the hipsters and always will be, and I mean that. After all he's Mick Freakin' Jagger! Grohl was a good drummer in a great band for their time, nothing more. Everything he's done since is just him capitalizing on Cobain's Nirvana and without being in that band you wouldn't even know his name.

Yes, who would have ever heard of Dave Grohl without Nirvana? A group that ended rather abruptly around this time 27 years ago. Meanwhile the Foo Fighters continue in popularity. How many rock stars went from playing drums to lead a world famous group on guitar? The guestion by now should be how many people know the popular guitarist and lead singer of the Foo Fighters was once the drummer for a long ago rock group?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 18, 2021 20:22

Well, since first listen and playing it again just now, I have to say I love this song even more! Thanks to both Mick and Dave for this enjoyment. Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-18 20:26 by frankotero.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 18, 2021 20:55

24FPS
treaclefingers
shadooby

Yes, who would have ever heard of Dave Grohl without Nirvana? A group that ended rather abruptly around this time 27 years ago. Meanwhile the Foo Fighters continue in popularity. How many rock stars went from playing drums to lead a world famous group on guitar? The guestion by now should be how many people know the popular guitarist and lead singer of the Foo Fighters was once the drummer for a long ago rock group?

Yeah, not too many...Phil Collins comes to mind, although he'd picked up singing duties with Genesis after Gabriel left.

I remember Courtney Love being rather dismissive of Grohl at one point, not out of character for her I suppose !

I'd never paid that much attention to the Foo Fighters but become a bit of a fan when they did the "Sound City" documentary, that was really cool.

Which reminds me I need to watch "Times Like Those" : [youtu.be]
Looks like they're watching the old pics in the same place where Grohl was filmed in ES.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-18 20:57 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 18, 2021 21:49

gotdablouse
24FPS
treaclefingers
shadooby

Yeah, not too many...Phil Collins comes to mind, although he'd picked up singing duties with Genesis after Gabriel left.

I remember Courtney Love being rather dismissive of Grohl at one point, not out of character for her I suppose !

I'd never paid that much attention to the Foo Fighters but become a bit of a fan when they did the "Sound City" documentary, that was really cool.

Which reminds me I need to watch "Times Like Those" : [youtu.be]
Looks like they're watching the old pics in the same place where Grohl was filmed in ES.

Keith on Nirvana: "Never heard of them, but I've been there".

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 19, 2021 00:00

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-19 00:10 by Stoneage.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 19, 2021 00:32

Refreshingly straight forward punky rock! One of the best Stones-related tunes in decades! I love it!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: April 19, 2021 04:22

Heard it on Sirius XM The Spectrum channel today as part of their 5 new tracks you must hear this week. Still no sign of it on Spotify...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 19, 2021 05:51

gotdablouse
24FPS
treaclefingers
shadooby

"I remember Courtney Love being rather dismissive of Grohl at one point, not out of character for her I suppose !"

[youtu.be]

Yeah, Courtney's a real winner. How's 'Hole' doing these days?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 19, 2021 13:08

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-19 16:16 by hopkins.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 19, 2021 13:17

24FPS

The majority, I would imagine. Grohl still talks about Nirvana endlessly. Foo Fighters, themselves, have been releasing music since 1995; only a year after Nirvana's final release. I feel Grohl, and indeed, Foo Fighters, will forever be intrinsically linked with Kurt and Nirvana.

Date: April 19, 2021 13:21

..if you can't say something nice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-19 16:17 by hopkins.

Date: April 19, 2021 13:25

Big Al
24FPS

The majority, I would imagine. Grohl still talks about Nirvana endlessly. Foo Fighters, themselves, have been releasing music since 1995; only a year after Nirvana's final release. I feel Grohl, and indeed, Foo Fighters, will forever be intrinsically linked with Kurt and Nirvana.

Could be because in the bigger picture Dave was a great ferocious dynamic presence and player in an iconic and groundbreaking trio because of Kurt's charisma and writing basically.. tho understand that EACH player was pivotal.

I just personally never felt that Dave would have had Foo Fighter deal based on soley his own stuff but hundreds of Millions disagree apparent.
But, you know me. I'm right, they are wrong.
It's a burden.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 19, 2021 16:19

tune is no Brown Sugar but it rocks and the more I hear it I like it....screw the critics on here...so glad we are getting something new...more please..and thanks Mick!

Date: April 19, 2021 16:35

24FPS
gotdablouse
24FPS
treaclefingers
shadooby

"I remember Courtney Love being rather dismissive of Grohl at one point, not out of character for her I suppose !"

[youtu.be]

Yeah, Courtney's a real winner. How's 'Hole' doing these days?

Beggin' for cigarettes, beggin' for nylons, in the American zone.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 19, 2021 18:58

Dave Grohl is the man. End of story. Thanks for reading.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 19, 2021 19:00

Watch "Sound City," read up on "Probot," for more on Grohl that may help you see why he is so beloved.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 24

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1677
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home