Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 24
Re: NEW!- EAZY SLEAZY — Mick Jagger with Dave Grohl
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 19, 2021 19:09

I’m a big Grohl fan, for sure. Foo Fighters May be a little meat and potatoes, but they’re consistently decent and are an act I’d enjoy seeing in a live setting.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 19, 2021 19:12

I kinda like this song but I don't know much from the Foo Fighters

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 19, 2021 19:15

Big Al
I’m a big Grohl fan, for sure. Foo Fighters May be a little meat and potatoes, but they’re consistently decent and are an act I’d enjoy seeing in a live setting.

I've seen them 6-7 times. High energy every time. Drops 100+ f-bombs, just in case you have kids with sensitive ears. Never phones it in. Saw them in 1999-2000 play in a small record store in Knoxville for free, the afternoon before they opened for RHCP. I slapped Grohl on the shoulder when he ran around the floor (night show).

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 19, 2021 20:26

Big Al
The majority, I would imagine. Grohl still talks about Nirvana endlessly. Foo Fighters, themselves, have been releasing music since 1995; only a year after Nirvana's final release. I feel Grohl, and indeed, Foo Fighters, will forever be intrinsically linked with Kurt and Nirvana.

Just to clarify ... and because I know from living it, i.e. as a huge Nirvana fan and then Foo Fighters...

Grohl does not really talk about Nirvana endlessly. In fact, in the beginning of Foo, he purposely released it as Foo Fighters with no fanfare so that people did NOT just listen to it because he was in Nirvana - he tried to keep that unknown. And he would NEVER discuss Nirvana for several years - it was taboo from any reporter, he was very hurt over the loss of his bandmate and did not want to relive it over & over.

It was probably around the mid 2000s (well after Foo Fighters were selling out huge stadiums) that he finally felt he was over it and could talk about Nirvana/Kurt with reporters. 2006, i saw them live and he told a story about Kurt, which was a shock, something he never did before that!! ... Now he has gone the other way, he discusses it freely, and Foo Fighters even did a Nirvana song live once (well it is a Vaselines cover: Molly's Lips).

The reality is, he almost quit music after Nirvana. It was Tom Petty that got him back into it, when they asked him to drum on SNL, and then Tom wanted him to be their full time drummer. Grohl took an amazing risk turning down a sure thing to start his own band as a lead singer, guitar player, and succeeded (which also, btw, wasn't his intent - he just figured they would be a garage type band playing small clubs ... foo fighters really exploded after the MTV video hit: Big Me).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-19 20:32 by LeonidP.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: April 19, 2021 21:48

LeonidP
Big Al
The majority, I would imagine. Grohl still talks about Nirvana endlessly. Foo Fighters, themselves, have been releasing music since 1995; only a year after Nirvana's final release. I feel Grohl, and indeed, Foo Fighters, will forever be intrinsically linked with Kurt and Nirvana.

Just to clarify ... and because I know from living it, i.e. as a huge Nirvana fan and then Foo Fighters...

Grohl does not really talk about Nirvana endlessly. In fact, in the beginning of Foo, he purposely released it as Foo Fighters with no fanfare so that people did NOT just listen to it because he was in Nirvana - he tried to keep that unknown. And he would NEVER discuss Nirvana for several years - it was taboo from any reporter, he was very hurt over the loss of his bandmate and did not want to relive it over & over.

It was probably around the mid 2000s (well after Foo Fighters were selling out huge stadiums) that he finally felt he was over it and could talk about Nirvana/Kurt with reporters. 2006, i saw them live and he told a story about Kurt, which was a shock, something he never did before that!! ... Now he has gone the other way, he discusses it freely, and Foo Fighters even did a Nirvana song live once (well it is a Vaselines cover: Molly's Lips).

The reality is, he almost quit music after Nirvana. It was Tom Petty that got him back into it, when they asked him to drum on SNL, and then Tom wanted him to be their full time drummer. Grohl took an amazing risk turning down a sure thing to start his own band as a lead singer, guitar player, and succeeded (which also, btw, wasn't his intent - he just figured they would be a garage type band playing small clubs ... foo fighters really exploded after the MTV video hit: Big Me).

I really want to thanks you for your post, i was about to make it to tell the truth about Dave Grohl.He is really a good personnality, humble man, he is a catalyser and lots of musicians enjoy to play or record with.
Mick Jagger has made a good choice to record with him and the song is really good.Anyway maybe Keith dont want to be in, he still Plays olds blues with friends,as we saw in twitter.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 20, 2021 00:47

Rockman
Play five times before ya listen ........

Nope, after one lost it, almost like thinkin' about basketball, kinda makes ya lose the feeling....Sorry Mick, you just don't move me any more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-20 00:52 by shadooby.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 20, 2021 02:34

MisterDDDD
retired_dog
Doxa
Still wondering about the 'official status' of this track. Still the only way it is released is via YouTube. And there is no any hint of Universal or any other company being involved (rights, license) - that's not the case, for example, with Jagger's earlier single "Get A Grip"/"England Lost". All those earlier videos in youtube are strictly pointed out being "licenced by" Universal. The track's' only home and source is Mick's own youtube channel.

Could it really be that Mick and Dave - with a little help from some of their friends - really did and relaese this whole thing just by themselves? Aren't there some contractual commitments for both guys to obey in regard their releases? Or can all of those be passed or ignored in youtube as a form of personal social media postings or something? In the sense Mick - or Keith - is sharing in instagram (or wherever) short clips of them rehearsing in studio or something. That this is legally similar, just a more worked piece? Can that be even possible?

Sad that any of those quite long reviews of it I've seen by now - busy to spell out after first watch its whatever faults from tiktoks to technical shortcomings and it not being the second coming of "Gimme Shelter" - aren't really paying any attention to its nature - what kind of release it exactly is.

- Doxa

Interesting question, once again. Technically, Mick as a solo artist is free from any current contractual obligations, while the Foo Fighters are signed to Sony as a band and without knowing their contractual details with Sony it's just guessing if Sony has any stake or legal stand in any of Dave's solo activities. Even if that's actually the case, the days of George Harrison appearing under the pseudonym of "L'Angelo Misterioso" on Cream's "Badge" for contractual reasons are over. Record companies are much more cooperative on stuff like that nowadays, as long as it does not hurt them financially, and that's surely not the case as the cooperation with Mick Jagger actually adds to the "value" of Grohl.

But the question is if this is really a "commercial release" after all as so far a streaming video is all that is available? Is it really any different than the Foo Fighters backing Mick on "19th Nervous Breakdown" and "IORR" on Saturday Night Live? Is this release any different from a live or pre-recorded TV Broadcast just because it's a new and previously unheard song?

I'd say "no", and for the busy reviewers all over the world, the legalities of such a move don't seem to make any difference.

Interesting questions.. I think this likely qualifies as a "commercial release", particularly after the NFT release and auction, although that's such a new medium perhaps no legal contractual language even exists for those yet.

Is there going to be any actual profits from this release to argue over is what I'm also curious about. With 100% of the NFT auction proceeds going to charity, and no physical or streaming of the song for purchase.. it would appear that so far none that any label would/could seek damages for. Imagine there's some Youtube money involved, less than 100k if the views are monetized, but perhaps production costs etc offset or proceeds are also donated.

Obviously there's no way to know how (what was used) Mick released Eazy Sleazy, we only know where it's available, but when using a digital distributer there are options regarding where it gets released. In other words, a single/EP/LP can go to

iTunes/AppleMusic
AmazonMusic
YouTube
YouTube Music
Pandora
Deezer

LOADS of others

Depending on what digital distributor Mick used, he either paid to have it released or went free with the 15% option of sales as a fee (or whatever). I'm gonna guess he paid.

And seeing that it's only a video single he could've released it on AppleMusic as well as a few others but he only chose YouTube. Which is quite smart, really: it's only available at one outlet and it isn't being paid for specifically - there's no money involved with the release. He can do that as much as he wants.

Quite clever.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 20, 2021 02:59

GasLightStreet
Obviously there's no way to know how (what was used) Mick released Eazy Sleazy, we only know where it's available, but when using a digital distributer there are options regarding where it gets released. In other words, a single/EP/LP can go to

iTunes/AppleMusic
AmazonMusic
YouTube
YouTube Music
Pandora
Deezer

LOADS of others

Depending on what digital distributor Mick used, he either paid to have it released or went free with the 15% option of sales as a fee (or whatever). I'm gonna guess he paid.

And seeing that it's only a video single he could've released it on AppleMusic as well as a few others but he only chose YouTube. Which is quite smart, really: it's only available at one outlet and it isn't being paid for specifically - there's no money involved with the release. He can do that as much as he wants.

Quite clever.

Yeah... clearly it could be on any of those primary outlets and more, hence the reason for the speculation.

It is interesting that even on YouTube, he chose not to monetize it.
No ads in it is the tell, as far as I know.

Good on both he and Grohl for throwing it out there for free, as well as raising funds for charity (other musicians/venues). Gotta wonder if perhaps there's more to come (also likely for charity) of this release.

"As an independent Artist, you can earn money on YouTube by joining the YouTube Partner Program and using ads to generate revenue. While you focus on making music, YouTube matches ads with your channel and the fans who watch your videos. ... You can also earn money from YouTube Premium subscriptions."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-20 03:01 by MisterDDDD.

Date: April 20, 2021 03:44

BTW, Dave Grohl is pretty funny too! See this performance on Craig Kilborn, covering Stairway to Heaven, where he improvises on some of the lyrics, and check out at the 3:40 mark, where he sings the guitar solo!

Dave Grohl / Taylor Hawkins - Stairway to Heaven (Kilborn)

I find it pretty funny anyway!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 20, 2021 14:26

shadooby
Rockman
Play five times before ya listen ........

Nope, after one lost it, almost like thinkin' about basketball, kinda makes ya lose the feeling....Sorry Mick, you just don't move me any more.
hot take....blah blah blah

Posted by: stillife ()
Date: April 20, 2021 15:49

Not a classic for sure, and we tend to compare with classic Stones. But for sure better song than 80% of what is release nowadays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-20 15:51 by stillife.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: April 20, 2021 18:33

stillife
Not a classic for sure, and we tend to compare with classic Stones. But for sure better song than 80% of what is release nowadays.

Yet again... this ridiculous comment.

Simply untrue.

Date: April 20, 2021 19:31

The only good thing about it is Mick Jagger who, well I almost forgot for what he was known for once. But sure it wasn't for substandard lyrics, substandard music or substandard co-musicians, and I'm not talking about "success".

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 20, 2021 20:27

I want to say a nice thing about the thing: mick singing is not bad

yesterday I went out driving, in 20 mins the song popped up twice on 2 different radio stations. I say it for those who think that: if it gets attention, airplay, good reviews than it means that it is objectively good
i don't think so

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-20 20:36 by maumau.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 20, 2021 22:57

[www.youtube.com] People making noise together - different people now and then - what´s not to like about that?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 20, 2021 23:06

Bjorn
[www.youtube.com] People making noise together - different people now and then - what´s not to like about that?

smileys with beer
Damn he can drum tho.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 20, 2021 23:07

I'm wondering about all the criticism. People are expecting something epic, I wouldn't mind it myself, but I do think it's great all things considered. Also, seems there's a lot of concern about how simple or unsophisticated the music and lyrics are. And of course there's the comparison to The Sex Pistols. This I admire, because it adds the much needed element of anger for present times. Dave Grohl is the right guy for this too. Not sure the reason why it's so disliked because it's typical Mick in my opinion, minus the dance music of course. Maybe people prefer that? And then there's the "what does Keith think" Actually I'm a Keith fan over Mick but this is not something I thought of until I read it here. In the end I'm really happy about this song and I think it's very nice of Mick and Dave to share it for free. It's very punk of them. Cheers!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2021 00:18

YEAH ... I like it ....
Its just a locked throttle punk song .....
Got energy and those lyrics get in ya head ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 21, 2021 05:25

Rockman
YEAH ... I like it ....

True, but it's no, satyameva jayathe.

That's a true ear worm.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: April 21, 2021 18:57

I love it!!!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 21, 2021 22:58

treaclefingers
Rockman
YEAH ... I like it ....

That's a true ear worm.

It may not be a satyameva jayathe, but it's definitely a kamatiso tamashimash.

That's old panucish language and means "fantastic music".

Whatever, it's great. In my opinion. But that's the only one that counts. At least for me!

Date: April 22, 2021 00:54

retired_dog
treaclefingers
Rockman
YEAH ... I like it ....

That's a true ear worm.

Whatever, it's great. In my opinion. But that's the only one that counts. At least for me!

I am in whole-hearted agreement and just to clarify, satyameva jayathe is the title of one of the Superheavy cuts, I think it was released as a single in India.

EVERYBODY SING...

SATYAME....VAJAYTHE!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 22, 2021 01:58

Cool video

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 22, 2021 02:59

When will it be available for purchase?????

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 22, 2021 08:40

treaclefingers
retired_dog
treaclefingers
Rockman
YEAH ... I like it ....

That's a true ear worm.

I am in whole-hearted agreement and just to clarify, satyameva jayathe is the title of one of the Superheavy cuts, I think it was released as a single in India.

EVERYBODY SING...

SATYAME....VAJAYTHE!

Satyame Vajaythe it's one of the worst song ever from the horrible Superheavy album!!!

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 22, 2021 10:07

82% positive reaction here.
Thats a great quote.
FANTASTIC!
And the normal IORR quote around any new Stones song released since BB.

Date: April 22, 2021 10:10

KRiffhard
treaclefingers
retired_dog
treaclefingers
Rockman
YEAH ... I like it ....

That's a true ear worm.

EVERYBODY SING...

SATYAME....VAJAYTHE!

Satyame Vajaythe it's one of the worst song ever from the horrible Superheavy album!!!

I said sing it, not say it. COME ON!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 22, 2021 12:09

Bastion
stillife

Simply untrue.

Why is it simply untrue? It’s the OPs opinion. In their OPINION it’s true that this song is better than 80% of what’s released nowadays. They are wrong of course-as it’s a dreadful song! :-)

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-22 12:11 by bitusa2012.

Date: April 22, 2021 18:05

bitusa2012
Bastion
stillife

Simply untrue.

Why is it simply untrue? It’s the OPs opinion. In their OPINION it’s true that this song is better than 80% of what’s released nowadays. They are wrong of course-as it’s a dreadful song! :-)

I like it, though it is definitely not a "great" tune. But still, I agree the statement (better than 80%) was ridiculous, it is probably better than 95% of what is released nowadays.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: April 23, 2021 01:14

Without overanalyzing it: It's a great tune and it's great to see some output from Jagger & co.

www.rsundercover.eu

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 24

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home