Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 24
Re: NEW!- EAZY SLEAZY — Mick Jagger with Dave Grohl
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 16, 2021 08:05

bye bye johnny
Bob Lefsetz's take:

Easy Sleazy

[www.youtube.com]

Somewhere Keith Richards is smiling, if not outright laughing. Without him, Mick Jagger appears completely out of touch with no soul. Mick may be the front man, but who is behind him turns out to be the essence of his success.

This is not the first time Mick has tried to go solo. And he always fails, even with the biggest push behind him. His Columbia albums of yore were too slick, anything but down and dirty, as if made by a posh guy who went to the London School of Economics… Whew, that’s what he did, right? Is that who he is? Has he been hanging with the rich and famous so long that he has lost his perspective?

Even worse is Dave Grohl. This track reveals the flaws of Mr. Rock Music up front and center… Dynamics? THERE ARE NONE! So, it’s loud and in your face, but it’s easy to reject, easy not to pay attention, furthermore, it’s all so SAFE! Rock and roll used to be dangerous, but Dave Grohl is the guy you want to bring home to mom, explain that to me please.

Of course this track has no traction, not even a million plays on YouTube as I write this, the fact that he’s a Stone is irrelevant in a marketplace where status and hype are secondary, if relevant at all, to the music itself. The penumbra has never meant less, can you deliver the goods?

Where has Mick been camping all these days? We’re looking for something gritty, insightful, that captures our feelings. Instead we’ve got a rich guy playing the guitar expressing emotions…not at all. Yes, the lyrics say something, but the delivery is all one note.

As for the lyrics… He almost appears to be pulling a Van Morrison, anti-lockdown. But upon further reflection it appears… Well, it’s not exactly clear what he is saying, other than lockdown is ending. But I’d rather dance in the streets to Martha and the Vandellas than this crap.

And it’s not the 1960s anymore, where I’m forced to listen to what I don’t like until maybe I do, like it that is. It’s painful to make it all the way through “Easy Sleazy,” I only did because I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something, so that I could write this screed with full authority, but you aren’t missing anything if you check out early.

And “sleazy”? That’s not a word I think of when I contemplate the covid lockdown, nor emergence from it. Sleazy is late night in the dark high on drugs, it’s never sleazy with the bright lights on, and this track is nothing if not bright.

Come on, listen to the intro to “Gimmie Shelter”… “Easy Sleazy” is just the opposite, but one can argue today is darker than yesterday, now is not the time to be mindless.

As for singing about what is happening now… It works with gravitas, just ask Neil Young, with “Ohio,” never mind Marvin Gaye with “What’s Going On.” As for more recent numbers capturing the zeitgeist…it’s hard to find them, at least successful ones. We’re told by the successful to write a song with a score of people and dress well so you can tell the audience what they’re missing out on, so they can envy you, when the truth is they should run in the opposite direction. There’s no truth-telling like there was with N.W.A. and Ice-T and the seers of yore. I mean the cops just killed somebody in Minnesota, shouldn’t the song be about that instead of partying?

Once upon a time Mick Jagger captured the zeitgeist, now it’s nowhere to be found in his life or his lexicon, he’s lost touch. Now is when you make a statement, this track no different from George Bush telling everybody after 9/11 to go out and shop, to keep the economy humming, the real issues? Oh, of course “Easy Sleazy” goes deeper than that, but its message is so confusing, there’s so much irony, that it goes straight over the heads of those who do listen, and it’s not like the focus is on the lyrics anyway, they’re overwhelmed by the buzzing guitar sound.

A sound Keith Richards never employed.

Keith Richard was the anti-gunslinger, the anti-guitar hero. Forget playing a lot of notes in a small period of time, he frequently played no notes at all! It was about chords, sound, closer to the Edge than Yngwie Malmsteen.

You see most of creativity, most of excellence, happens between the ears. That’s the essence of rock and roll, that’s the essence of the Ramones, you don’t need to be highly skilled to get your message down, to make a great record, but you certainly have to think about it. It’s about channeling God, capturing lightning in a bottle, if you do it right the zeitgeist is right there in the grooves. If you find the zeitgeist in “Easy Sleazy” you don’t know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones.

Come on, compare Nirvana with Foo Fighters, Cobain with Grohl. And this is less of a put-down of Grohl than an exaltation of Cobain. Anybody can go through the motions, but to ascend to the pantheon you need a certain vision, a certain attitude, a willingness to push buttons and test limits…can you say “John Lennon”?

You can also say “Keith Richards.”

Keith has led anything but a perfect life. Better to watch the movie than live it. But he’s never wavered from his focus on creating the best music, with the essence of life, attitude and truth involved. Has he always succeeded? No, but he’s never failed on the level of Mick Jagger.

Mick needs Keith’s pull to keep him in line, to focus him, to bring him down to earth. Just like Bono needs the Edge. It’s Edge’s guitarwork that anchors U2, not Bono’s lyrics, they’re just the cherry on top. Bono goes out and tries to save the world, but he’d have no voice if it weren’t for the Edge, who’s got almost no voice at all.

Mick thinks being a rock star is being famous. Riding the crest of the wave, being held up by the people. But if he did a solo show he wouldn’t be able to crowdsurf, no one would hold him up! Especially the ancient who are only going on name value.

“Easy Sleazy” is drivel. And the best thing about today is drivel can be completely ignored, can fall out of sight nearly instantly. Which this will do.

Mick… Check with Keith, check with someone with their feet truly on the ground before you take action, make another misstep.

As for Mr. Grohl… So you played with a Stone, who cares? At this point we’ve all had brushes with greatness, this song is barely better than a selfie. Now it’s about the work.

And you’ve got to work harder.

[lefsetz.com]

A bunch of bullshit.

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: April 16, 2021 08:27

FancyBluesMan

I find it amusing that you suggest...or infer...that since I'm so picky, selective, and discriminatory in my musical wants, that I cherry pick through the Stones' catalog, past and/or future, in order to avoid disappointment. Appreciate your concern for my well-being but your benevolence is misguided and misplaced...and certainly not needed.

Glad I could amuse you, not a totally wasted post then winking smiley
Seriously, yes I too would like to hear something from the band. But just because it has the brand 'Rolling Stones' on it, does not make me excited. Side projects, other artists, whatever, the musics the point.A fine solo album is better than bad group effort.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: April 16, 2021 09:53

Doxa
retired_dog
treaclefingers

wow, after reading that review, I guess that means I mustn't like the song after all!

So my comment must come as a kind of relief for you, right? You don't have to feel guilty if you like it. You're not betraying Keith if you like it! You're not alone if you like it! Count me in!

But isn't it cool that Mick's doings are still taken so seriously that people - even some so called music critics - feel the urge to mock him and seemingly get still some kicks (supposed respect?) out of it? Like Mick still is a real, competent player on the field, with no any free pass given for being that damn old. I mean, don't we generally treat with silky gloves people with marvellous career behind and who now happen to are deep in their senior years? No one, for example, has heart to critizise Uncle Keith or Uncle Paul or Uncle Bob... by contrast, if they show any small sign of their former greatness or creativity that is praised and hailed... that's a normal human reaction, since they are fragile shadows of what they used to be...

In a way Mick himself, for being too energetic and vibrant, is asking for that....grinning smiley

So who knows if as long as Mick is mocked and seen as controversial and makes people feel irrated (at best: make music critics feel important by critizising him), that's the sign of The Stones are still keep on rolling... the moment he is given a free pass - that's the end?

- Doxa

Yeah, I think that's true. That "critic" makes one of the major (and rather common) faults that critics can make: not to review the actual piece of work, but the previous (which is what they exspect - or demand - to get once again).
In this vein the critic in Melody Maker (or was it NME?) panned Honky Tonk Woman when it was published.

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: April 16, 2021 09:55

GhostTown2021
FancyBluesMan

I find it amusing that you suggest...or infer...that since I'm so picky, selective, and discriminatory in my musical wants, that I cherry pick through the Stones' catalog, past and/or future, in order to avoid disappointment. Appreciate your concern for my well-being but your benevolence is misguided and misplaced...and certainly not needed.

Glad I could amuse you, not a totally wasted post then winking smiley
Seriously, yes I too would like to hear something from the band. But just because it has the brand 'Rolling Stones' on it, does not make me excited. Side projects, other artists, whatever, the musics the point.A fine solo album is better than bad group effort.

Ghost...

You make a valid point...and I completely agree. There's always the possibility that a group effort could fall flat on its' face but I'm hopeful that won't be the case...if, in fact they eventually do release an album of new material. However, given the long hiatus...and their inability to complete an LP of original material a few years back, which led to 'Blue and Lonesome' (which I loved), you have to wonder if they'll be able to deliver a respectable product.

When Mick and Keith first began recording as soloists, I looked forward to listening to their stuff with the same level of anticipation I held for every new Stones' LP. However, after their first couple of efforts, respectively, the more recent releases simply didn't move the needle for me.

I quickly soured on Mick's stuff...except for a couple of tracks here and there...and could only muster a lukewarm reaction to 'Crosseyed Heart'. A few hits...a few misses. Truth be told, over the years, I've reacted much more positively to Ronnie's solo offerings.

Despite our different viewpoints on the topic at hand, I do understand where you're coming from. Ultimately, it IS about the music. If Mick or Keith were to put something out there that truly grabbed my soul then I wouldn't hesitate to applaud them. I just happen to have a very low take on 'Eazy Sleazy'.

I also realize that these recent solo 'drops' may be all there is to tide us over for the time being but I've grown a bit impatient. The Stones aren't getting any younger...and neither am I. I just want one more reminder as to why they've been my favorite band for all these decades.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 16, 2021 09:56

Totally agree, KRiffhard. What a waste of time writing such nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 09:56 by Meise.

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: April 16, 2021 12:16

FancyBluesMan

I quickly soured on Mick's stuff...except for a couple of tracks here and there...and could only muster a lukewarm reaction to 'Crosseyed Heart'. A few hits...a few misses. Truth be told, over the years, I've reacted much more positively to Ronnie's solo offerings.

As far solo ALBUMS go, I too think Ronnie's are the best, most even of the bunch. Maybe excluding Not For Beginners, they all get regular plays. Newer Mick & Keith solos not so much. But older ones I play every now and then, especially Wandering Spirit, which is pretty good IMHO.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: April 16, 2021 13:44

IDK who Bob Lefsetz is but he sounds like a total Keith fanboy. Jealous much?

Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: April 16, 2021 15:30

Anybody know what the line "You gotta pay Peter if you're robbing Paul" might refer to?
I can't think of anything (even remotely) related, beyond "Peter, Paul & Mary"...

EDIT: something biblical, maybe?
these Christian saints (Peter & Paul) are celebrtated together, apparently - Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 15:33 by deeeskannnie.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 16, 2021 16:02

deeeskannnie
Anybody know what the line "You gotta pay Peter if you're robbing Paul" might refer to?
I can't think of anything (even remotely) related, beyond "Peter, Paul & Mary"...

these Christian saints (Peter & Paul) are celebrtated together, apparently - Wiki

Fairly common expression (in US). Usually, robbing Peter to pay Paul means taking the money one would pay off one debt to pay off another debt where there is not enough money to go around and one must choose which debt is more urgently in need of payment.

Mick uses the "rob Peter to pay Paul" line first (in lockdown), then "pay Peter to rob Paul" post lockdown. I'm assuming Mick is referring to all of the government "stimulus" type government payments around the world.

"The origin comes from the Peter tax and the Paul tax: The expression refers to times before the Reformation when Church taxes had to be paid to St. Paul's church in London and to St. Peter's church in Rome; originally it referred to neglecting the Peter tax in order to have money to pay the Paul tax."
[english.stackexchange.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 16:05 by MisterDDDD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 16:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: frankotero ()

I think it’s about ying and yang. Can’t have one without the other. This is part of the attraction of this song to me. You can imagine what certain things might mean. This also makes me think that someone on here claimed Mick was talking about himself in that line about putting on weight. I never thought it was about himself.

Posted by: deeeskannnie ()
Date: April 16, 2021 16:51

MisterDDDD
deeeskannnie

Fairly common expression (in US). Usually, robbing Peter to pay Paul means taking the money one would pay off one debt to pay off another debt where there is not enough money to go around and one must choose which debt is more urgently in need of payment.

Mick uses the "rob Peter to pay Paul" line first (in lockdown), then "pay Peter to rob Paul" post lockdown. I'm assuming Mick is referring to all of the government "stimulus" type government payments around the world.

"The origin comes from the Peter tax and the Paul tax: The expression refers to times before the Reformation when Church taxes had to be paid to St. Paul's church in London and to St. Peter's church in Rome; originally it referred to neglecting the Peter tax in order to have money to pay the Paul tax."
[english.stackexchange.com]

Chrz for that, MisterDDD!
Thx for the effort you've put in this very detailed info.
Didn't know this at all; always glad to learn something new.

Aaaah... Church taxes! So, in origin, something 'biblical' after all... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

P.S.: we met & shared L.Dips (& beer) at "No Filter" in Cardiff, remember? Filip, from Belgium. smoking smiley

Date: April 16, 2021 17:08

deeeskannnie

Chrz for that, MisterDDD!
Thx for the effort you've put in this very detailed info.
Didn't know this at all; always glad to learn something new.

Aaaah... Church taxes! So, in origin, something 'biblical' after all... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

P.S.: we met & shared L.Dips (& beer) at "No Filter" in Cardiff, remember? Filip, from Belgium. smoking smiley

Indeed Filip!!
A lot of fond memories from the Cardiff trip/show for me, high on the list was meeting you and your friends pre-show and finagling our LD sets smileys with beer

Still wonder about the young American couple (I'm terrible remembering names) we got LD's for that were renting a car to travel around after the Cardiff show.
I've driven professionally at times in my life, but would never trust my skills for driving around the UK without some practice/instruction. Hope they made out ok winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 16, 2021 19:17

Ok....this has become a bit of an earworm I'm afraid. Careful what you wish for!

Easy Sleazy Digital Art Auction
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 16, 2021 13:43

Already up to $10,200 for this one of a kind truly unique piece. This is an interesting space in the art world. The Weeknd just did something similar a week or two ago.
Sleazy Art

Re: Easy Sleazy Digital Art Auction
Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: April 16, 2021 14:35

Am I missing something or is this another case of 'the Emperor's new clothes' in the art world?

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 16, 2021 14:48

If that is representative of what an NFT is, then it's worse than bitcoin IMO

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 16, 2021 14:50

I don't know.. it looks like a GIF-file from the Bigger Bang days

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 16, 2021 17:01

[comment edited]
Not intended for this merged thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 22:15 by schillid.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 16, 2021 17:08

[comment edited]
Not intended for this merged thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 22:16 by schillid.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 16, 2021 19:32

I quite liked this when I first heard it a few times. I heard the “tone” of the Some Girls album. Now, though, I can’t stand it. It’s Mick’s snarl. Can’t abide the vocals whatsoever. Glad he’s doing something though. Gruff, snarky snapped vocals are not his best style I don’t reckon. He’s not a tough gruff man after all.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-17 06:01 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 16, 2021 19:40

The NFT bid is now up to $35 million, with under 30 minutes to go.

Can someone who knows about these things explain why someone would bid that amount when the previous bid was "only" $10.2 million?

Is the motive philanthropic, as the proceeds are going to charity, or is it to do with trying to make the NFT more valuable in the long run or what?

EDIT: Maybe the answer is the former or is it for a tax break? Current highest bidder at $50,000 is a 40-year old US philanthropist (among other things).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 20:09 by Beast.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 16, 2021 20:33

The song has some really nice changes, and energy like we haven't heard in years.

Date: April 16, 2021 21:07

Beast
The NFT bid is now up to $35 million, with under 30 minutes to go.

Can someone who knows about these things explain why someone would bid that amount when the previous bid was "only" $10.2 million?

Is the motive philanthropic, as the proceeds are going to charity, or is it to do with trying to make the NFT more valuable in the long run or what?

EDIT: Maybe the answer is the former or is it for a tax break? Current highest bidder at $50,000 is a 40-year old US philanthropist (among other things).

I think it's a combination of both, but would lean on it being an art investment as well as a tax deduction with the charity aspect. The "one of a kind" aspect being the most appealing I suppose. Like most of us, don't know much about them, but I think the guy probably got a deal.

video: [media.niftygateway.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 17, 2021 00:12

what is this "NFT" that is going for millions?

the auction for the artwork or whatever it is ended with high bid of fifty grand.

next bid increments often depend on auction house rules and are often in a form of an increment equal to a percentage of the current bid. So when the current bid is high, it is increasingly expensive to better the bid as the value increases.

jb

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 17, 2021 00:58

I understand the dislike. The lyrics are meaningless, ust a bunch of cliches strung together, and if you challenged him on that he'd just say that the song is a joke (in the past he's said Satanic and ER were jokes). His inability to stand behind is work is annoying.
Maybe you can't blame him. The Undercover album was a serious lyrical effort; and when nobody took it seriously, he mostly stopped trying.
And I'm not going to let him play that, 'he's an old man, I'm glad he's still working' card.
And Grohl is just 'professional rock star.' He was boring when he was in his 20s. He's derivative.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: April 17, 2021 01:10

Hey Wondergirl quick smoking that stuff and chirping from that hole just below your neck.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 17, 2021 01:53

stargroover
Hey Wondergirl quick smoking that stuff and chirping from that hole just below your neck.

Wow. You hardly ever see that kind of trolling on this board.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: April 17, 2021 02:21

That's pretty bad.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 17, 2021 02:34

I like it,better that some of the stuff the band has been putting out in the last few years..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 24

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home