Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 24
Re: NEW!- EAZY SLEAZY — Mick Jagger with Dave Grohl
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 15, 2021 23:03

Nikkei
Honestly I enjoy seeing Mick doing something, anything but I don't enjoy the song. After a couple of listens, the melody of the chorus is really grating on me and while the verses are fun in some way, I also see the recurring pattern of Mick name-checking the latest buzzwords as if to convince future listeners that he actually was around up until that time. Everyone is trying to be ironic these days which made irony itself a bottomless hole. At the same time he seems to be trying for an everyman's perspective on the lockdown experience (who would ever believe that he actually put on any weight?) which just reinforced how ironically detached he really is. In the end it becomes more incoherent the closer you look at it. Yet it's not supposed to be examined that close, we're supposed to enjoy it musically? In that regard it's unremarkable. What Grohl does is by-the-numbers. Again it's nice to see Mick is doing something but his main point seems to be showing the fans that he's doing something so he might as well get back at doing what he does best.

+1 thumbs up could not say it better than that

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 15, 2021 23:09

Have to admit, love the energy of it. Would have been better with the stones. Standout track? Not at all but it’s the energy kind of like LIES off SOME GIRLS. I hope some of this energy is captured on a new stones record. And I would rather hear this than some funky/ dance jagger song

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 15, 2021 23:30

Nikkei
Honestly I enjoy seeing Mick doing something, anything but I don't enjoy the song. After a couple of listens, the melody of the chorus is really grating on me and while the verses are fun in some way, I also see the recurring pattern of Mick name-checking the latest buzzwords as if to convince future listeners that he actually was around up until that time. Everyone is trying to be ironic these days which made irony itself a bottomless hole. At the same time he seems to be trying for an everyman's perspective on the lockdown experience (who would ever believe that he actually put on any weight?) which just reinforced how ironically detached he really is. In the end it becomes more incoherent the closer you look at it. Yet it's not supposed to be examined that close, we're supposed to enjoy it musically? In that regard it's unremarkable. What Grohl does is by-the-numbers. Again it's nice to see Mick is doing something but his main point seems to be showing the fans that he's doing something so he might as well get back at doing what he does best.

What the hell is the poor bastard supposed to do? He's getting slammed because he's trying to be 'relatable'? Would you prefer he bring out the lyrics to charmed life?

Come on Nikkei, how bad has the lockdown been in Germany anyway? It's getting to you!

If I were Mick I wouldn't get back with Keith just to spite all the ingrates out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 23:30 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 15, 2021 23:33

Funny to read that Bob Lefzets "review".

It is kinda cool to read some totally negative and long review these days. Mostly people don't really bother any longer. But at the same reading stuff like that makes one ask: what's the point of reviewing a song by an act one doesn't like one inch to begin with? The song could be whatever-like since he basically hates anything in Jagger and Grohl. The point of this review is just to spell out why he hates those two guys so much in general. This one song is an excuse for that (for him, of course, another proof of how awful these two guys are).

Honestly, I find that a bit childish (although I am sure here are people who love it). Also he recicles such old notions, romantical myths and prejudices (Mick vs. Keith and all that) that it also out-dated and intellectually questionable (read: stupid and ignorant). To call that 'criticism' is over-rating its textual value.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 23:55 by Doxa.

Date: April 15, 2021 23:35

retired_dog
bye bye johnny
Bob Lefsetz's take:

Easy Sleazy

[www.youtube.com]

Somewhere Keith Richards is smiling, if not outright laughing. Without him, Mick Jagger appears completely out of touch with no soul. Mick may be the front man, but who is behind him turns out to be the essence of his success.

This is not the first time Mick has tried to go solo. And he always fails, even with the biggest push behind him. His Columbia albums of yore were too slick, anything but down and dirty, as if made by a posh guy who went to the London School of Economics… Whew, that’s what he did, right? Is that who he is? Has he been hanging with the rich and famous so long that he has lost his perspective?

Even worse is Dave Grohl. This track reveals the flaws of Mr. Rock Music up front and center… Dynamics? THERE ARE NONE! So, it’s loud and in your face, but it’s easy to reject, easy not to pay attention, furthermore, it’s all so SAFE! Rock and roll used to be dangerous, but Dave Grohl is the guy you want to bring home to mom, explain that to me please.

Of course this track has no traction, not even a million plays on YouTube as I write this, the fact that he’s a Stone is irrelevant in a marketplace where status and hype are secondary, if relevant at all, to the music itself. The penumbra has never meant less, can you deliver the goods?

Where has Mick been camping all these days? We’re looking for something gritty, insightful, that captures our feelings. Instead we’ve got a rich guy playing the guitar expressing emotions…not at all. Yes, the lyrics say something, but the delivery is all one note.

As for the lyrics… He almost appears to be pulling a Van Morrison, anti-lockdown. But upon further reflection it appears… Well, it’s not exactly clear what he is saying, other than lockdown is ending. But I’d rather dance in the streets to Martha and the Vandellas than this crap.

And it’s not the 1960s anymore, where I’m forced to listen to what I don’t like until maybe I do, like it that is. It’s painful to make it all the way through “Easy Sleazy,” I only did because I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something, so that I could write this screed with full authority, but you aren’t missing anything if you check out early.

And “sleazy”? That’s not a word I think of when I contemplate the covid lockdown, nor emergence from it. Sleazy is late night in the dark high on drugs, it’s never sleazy with the bright lights on, and this track is nothing if not bright.

Come on, listen to the intro to “Gimmie Shelter”… “Easy Sleazy” is just the opposite, but one can argue today is darker than yesterday, now is not the time to be mindless.

As for singing about what is happening now… It works with gravitas, just ask Neil Young, with “Ohio,” never mind Marvin Gaye with “What’s Going On.” As for more recent numbers capturing the zeitgeist…it’s hard to find them, at least successful ones. We’re told by the successful to write a song with a score of people and dress well so you can tell the audience what they’re missing out on, so they can envy you, when the truth is they should run in the opposite direction. There’s no truth-telling like there was with N.W.A. and Ice-T and the seers of yore. I mean the cops just killed somebody in Minnesota, shouldn’t the song be about that instead of partying?

Once upon a time Mick Jagger captured the zeitgeist, now it’s nowhere to be found in his life or his lexicon, he’s lost touch. Now is when you make a statement, this track no different from George Bush telling everybody after 9/11 to go out and shop, to keep the economy humming, the real issues? Oh, of course “Easy Sleazy” goes deeper than that, but its message is so confusing, there’s so much irony, that it goes straight over the heads of those who do listen, and it’s not like the focus is on the lyrics anyway, they’re overwhelmed by the buzzing guitar sound.

A sound Keith Richards never employed.

Keith Richard was the anti-gunslinger, the anti-guitar hero. Forget playing a lot of notes in a small period of time, he frequently played no notes at all! It was about chords, sound, closer to the Edge than Yngwie Malmsteen.

You see most of creativity, most of excellence, happens between the ears. That’s the essence of rock and roll, that’s the essence of the Ramones, you don’t need to be highly skilled to get your message down, to make a great record, but you certainly have to think about it. It’s about channeling God, capturing lightning in a bottle, if you do it right the zeitgeist is right there in the grooves. If you find the zeitgeist in “Easy Sleazy” you don’t know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones.

Come on, compare Nirvana with Foo Fighters, Cobain with Grohl. And this is less of a put-down of Grohl than an exaltation of Cobain. Anybody can go through the motions, but to ascend to the pantheon you need a certain vision, a certain attitude, a willingness to push buttons and test limits…can you say “John Lennon”?

You can also say “Keith Richards.”

Keith has led anything but a perfect life. Better to watch the movie than live it. But he’s never wavered from his focus on creating the best music, with the essence of life, attitude and truth involved. Has he always succeeded? No, but he’s never failed on the level of Mick Jagger.

Mick needs Keith’s pull to keep him in line, to focus him, to bring him down to earth. Just like Bono needs the Edge. It’s Edge’s guitarwork that anchors U2, not Bono’s lyrics, they’re just the cherry on top. Bono goes out and tries to save the world, but he’d have no voice if it weren’t for the Edge, who’s got almost no voice at all.

Mick thinks being a rock star is being famous. Riding the crest of the wave, being held up by the people. But if he did a solo show he wouldn’t be able to crowdsurf, no one would hold him up! Especially the ancient who are only going on name value.

“Easy Sleazy” is drivel. And the best thing about today is drivel can be completely ignored, can fall out of sight nearly instantly. Which this will do.

Mick… Check with Keith, check with someone with their feet truly on the ground before you take action, make another misstep.

As for Mr. Grohl… So you played with a Stone, who cares? At this point we’ve all had brushes with greatness, this song is barely better than a selfie. Now it’s about the work.

And you’ve got to work harder.

[lefsetz.com]

Mick...Keith...Mick...Keith...Mick...Keith...Keith...Keith...Mick...Keith...Mick...Keith and on an on.

One just has to fly over the interview to get a glimpse of the rubbish that constitutes this review. Jeeez, they're not married. Jeeez, it's a solo tune. No need to explore the origins of the universe to establish the reason why the reviewer does not like it. It's just a piece of music. It's only rock 'n roll, you like it or not. Mick just did what many here have asked our beloved band to do: Don't think twice all too much. Just create. Just bang it out for us to hear. Now Mick did just that. And it's not right again?

wow, after reading that review, I guess that means I mustn't like the song after all!

Date: April 15, 2021 23:37

Dude is almost 78.

I'm not saying 'give him a break', I'm saying our minds should be exploding right now.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 15, 2021 23:39

Great song. And that 78-year old codger can still rock. Do you realize Mick has been associated with the only two great songs about the pandemic, Ghost Town, and now this.

Date: April 15, 2021 23:42

24FPS
Great song. And that 78-year old codger can still rock. Do you realize Mick has been associated with the only two great songs about the pandemic, Ghost Town, and now this.

smileys with beer

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 15, 2021 23:55

the comments on his newsletter are closed...what an ass wipe....he couldn't take the heat?...didn't get an interview with Mick?...not gonna happen now buddy...what a jack ass.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: April 16, 2021 00:01

Different key and beat but sounds awfully similar to this:

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 16, 2021 00:04

treaclefingers
retired_dog
bye bye johnny
Bob Lefsetz's take:

Easy Sleazy

[www.youtube.com]

Somewhere Keith Richards is smiling, if not outright laughing. Without him, Mick Jagger appears completely out of touch with no soul. Mick may be the front man, but who is behind him turns out to be the essence of his success.

This is not the first time Mick has tried to go solo. And he always fails, even with the biggest push behind him. His Columbia albums of yore were too slick, anything but down and dirty, as if made by a posh guy who went to the London School of Economics… Whew, that’s what he did, right? Is that who he is? Has he been hanging with the rich and famous so long that he has lost his perspective?

Even worse is Dave Grohl. This track reveals the flaws of Mr. Rock Music up front and center… Dynamics? THERE ARE NONE! So, it’s loud and in your face, but it’s easy to reject, easy not to pay attention, furthermore, it’s all so SAFE! Rock and roll used to be dangerous, but Dave Grohl is the guy you want to bring home to mom, explain that to me please.

Of course this track has no traction, not even a million plays on YouTube as I write this, the fact that he’s a Stone is irrelevant in a marketplace where status and hype are secondary, if relevant at all, to the music itself. The penumbra has never meant less, can you deliver the goods?

Where has Mick been camping all these days? We’re looking for something gritty, insightful, that captures our feelings. Instead we’ve got a rich guy playing the guitar expressing emotions…not at all. Yes, the lyrics say something, but the delivery is all one note.

As for the lyrics… He almost appears to be pulling a Van Morrison, anti-lockdown. But upon further reflection it appears… Well, it’s not exactly clear what he is saying, other than lockdown is ending. But I’d rather dance in the streets to Martha and the Vandellas than this crap.

And it’s not the 1960s anymore, where I’m forced to listen to what I don’t like until maybe I do, like it that is. It’s painful to make it all the way through “Easy Sleazy,” I only did because I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something, so that I could write this screed with full authority, but you aren’t missing anything if you check out early.

And “sleazy”? That’s not a word I think of when I contemplate the covid lockdown, nor emergence from it. Sleazy is late night in the dark high on drugs, it’s never sleazy with the bright lights on, and this track is nothing if not bright.

Come on, listen to the intro to “Gimmie Shelter”… “Easy Sleazy” is just the opposite, but one can argue today is darker than yesterday, now is not the time to be mindless.

As for singing about what is happening now… It works with gravitas, just ask Neil Young, with “Ohio,” never mind Marvin Gaye with “What’s Going On.” As for more recent numbers capturing the zeitgeist…it’s hard to find them, at least successful ones. We’re told by the successful to write a song with a score of people and dress well so you can tell the audience what they’re missing out on, so they can envy you, when the truth is they should run in the opposite direction. There’s no truth-telling like there was with N.W.A. and Ice-T and the seers of yore. I mean the cops just killed somebody in Minnesota, shouldn’t the song be about that instead of partying?

Once upon a time Mick Jagger captured the zeitgeist, now it’s nowhere to be found in his life or his lexicon, he’s lost touch. Now is when you make a statement, this track no different from George Bush telling everybody after 9/11 to go out and shop, to keep the economy humming, the real issues? Oh, of course “Easy Sleazy” goes deeper than that, but its message is so confusing, there’s so much irony, that it goes straight over the heads of those who do listen, and it’s not like the focus is on the lyrics anyway, they’re overwhelmed by the buzzing guitar sound.

Keith Richard was the anti-gunslinger, the anti-guitar hero. Forget playing a lot of notes in a small period of time, he frequently played no notes at all! It was about chords, sound, closer to the Edge than Yngwie Malmsteen.

You see most of creativity, most of excellence, happens between the ears. That’s the essence of rock and roll, that’s the essence of the Ramones, you don’t need to be highly skilled to get your message down, to make a great record, but you certainly have to think about it. It’s about channeling God, capturing lightning in a bottle, if you do it right the zeitgeist is right there in the grooves. If you find the zeitgeist in “Easy Sleazy” you don’t know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones.

Come on, compare Nirvana with Foo Fighters, Cobain with Grohl. And this is less of a put-down of Grohl than an exaltation of Cobain. Anybody can go through the motions, but to ascend to the pantheon you need a certain vision, a certain attitude, a willingness to push buttons and test limits…can you say “John Lennon”?

Keith has led anything but a perfect life. Better to watch the movie than live it. But he’s never wavered from his focus on creating the best music, with the essence of life, attitude and truth involved. Has he always succeeded? No, but he’s never failed on the level of Mick Jagger.

Mick needs Keith’s pull to keep him in line, to focus him, to bring him down to earth. Just like Bono needs the Edge. It’s Edge’s guitarwork that anchors U2, not Bono’s lyrics, they’re just the cherry on top. Bono goes out and tries to save the world, but he’d have no voice if it weren’t for the Edge, who’s got almost no voice at all.

Mick thinks being a rock star is being famous. Riding the crest of the wave, being held up by the people. But if he did a solo show he wouldn’t be able to crowdsurf, no one would hold him up! Especially the ancient who are only going on name value.

“Easy Sleazy” is drivel. And the best thing about today is drivel can be completely ignored, can fall out of sight nearly instantly. Which this will do.

Mick… Check with Keith, check with someone with their feet truly on the ground before you take action, make another misstep.

As for Mr. Grohl… So you played with a Stone, who cares? At this point we’ve all had brushes with greatness, this song is barely better than a selfie. Now it’s about the work.

[lefsetz.com]

Mick...Keith...Mick...Keith...Mick...Keith...Keith...Keith...Mick...Keith...Mick...Keith and on an on.

One just has to fly over it to get a glimpse of the rubbish that constitutes this review. Jeeez, they're not married. Jeeez, it's a solo tune. No need to explore the origins of the universe to establish the reason why the reviewer does not like it. It's just a piece of music. It's only rock 'n roll, you like it or not. Mick just did what many here have asked our beloved band to do: Don't think twice all too much. Just create. Just bang it out for us to hear. Now Mick did just that. And it's not right again?

wow, after reading that review, I guess that means I mustn't like the song after all!

So my comment must come as a kind of relief for you, right? You don't have to feel guilty if you like it. You're not betraying Keith if you like it! You're not alone if you like it! Count me in!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 16, 2021 00:15

treaclefingers

What the hell is the poor bastard supposed to do? He's getting slammed because he's trying to be 'relatable'? Would you prefer he bring out the lyrics to charmed life?

Come on Nikkei, how bad has the lockdown been in Germany anyway? It's getting to you!

If I were Mick I wouldn't get back with Keith just to spite all the ingrates out there.

I do admit it's beginning to wear me out and I already feel sort of bad about what I've written. I really don't want to slam him, I admire him for trying to make me feel better. I can't really help not feeling it much but that's on me. I feel compelled now to say that for instance I feel strongly about the 90s outtakes from last month. Desperate Man, it goes to show your assessment must be on point. But it's all just feelings... LIAGT also really struck that chord with me. That was relatable and maybe I rather need more of that.

Date: April 16, 2021 00:20

Nikkei
treaclefingers

I do admit it's beginning to wear me out and I already feel sort of bad about what I've written. I really don't want to slam him, I admire him for trying to make me feel better. I can't really help not feeling it much but that's on me. I feel compelled now to say that for instance I feel strongly about the 90s outtakes from last month. Desperate Man, it goes to show your assessment must be on point. But it's all just feelings... LIAGT also really struck that chord with me. That was relatable and maybe I rather need more of that.

Hey Nikkei, to quasi-quote Mick, I was just havin' the mick with ya!

I hope all's well very soon for you...things are lookin' better than they have in awhile as the weather starts improving and the vaccines are flowing.

And you're entitled to hate the song...while no Rocks Off I didn't think I had a right to get something so cool delivered to my in basket yesterday!

Carry on!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 16, 2021 00:37

treaclefingers
Nikkei
treaclefingers

Hey Nikkei, to quasi-quote Mick, I was just havin' the mick with ya!

I hope all's well very soon for you...things are lookin' better than they have in awhile as the weather starts improving and the vaccines are flowing.

And you're entitled to hate the song...while no Rocks Off I didn't think I had a right to get something so cool delivered to my in basket yesterday!

Carry on!

But you're right, there's no point for me to be negative about it. Mick knows the ways of the world lots better than I do, in this case it's probably that things will get better when you make it so. I should watch and learn... when things are so bleak there must be a point from where it can only get better. I'll try my best, keeping your example in mind!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 16, 2021 00:59

retired_dog
treaclefingers

So my comment must come as a kind of relief for you, right? You don't have to feel guilty if you like it. You're not betraying Keith if you like it! You're not alone if you like it! Count me in!

But isn't it cool that Mick's doings are still taken so seriously that people - even some so called music critics - feel the urge to mock him and seemingly get still some kicks (supposed respect?) out of it? Like Mick still is a real, competent player on the field, with no any free pass given for being that damn old. I mean, don't we generally treat with silky gloves people with marvellous career behind and who now happen to are deep in their senior years? No one, for example, has heart to critizise Uncle Keith or Uncle Paul or Uncle Bob... by contrast, if they show any small sign of their former greatness or creativity that is praised and hailed... that's a normal human reaction, since they are fragile shadows of what they used to be...

In a way Mick himself, for being too energetic and vibrant, is asking for that....grinning smiley

So who knows if as long as Mick is mocked and seen as controversial and makes people feel irrated (at best: make music critics feel important by critizising him), that's the sign of The Stones are still keep on rolling... the moment he is given a free pass - that's the end?

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 01:35 by Doxa.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 16, 2021 01:11

I'm glad he's working and writing and putting stuff out.

That's my full review.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 16, 2021 01:34

My opinion of Bob Lefsetz (thumbs down) confirmed, yet again. There are few "critics" so full of their own importance and infallibility.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 16, 2021 02:23

Doxa
retired_dog
treaclefingers

But isn't it cool that Mick's doings are still taken so seriously that people - even some so called music critics - feel the urge to mock him and seemingly get still some kicks (supposed respect?) out of it? Like Mick still is a real, competent player on the field, with no any free pass given for being that damn old. I mean, don't we generally treat with silky gloves people with marvellous career behind and who now happen to are deep in their senior years? No one, for example, has heart to critizise Uncle Keith or Uncle Paul or Uncle Bob... by contrast, if they show any small sign of their former greatness or creativity that is praised and hailed... that's a normal human reaction, since they are fragile shadows of what they used to be...

In a way Mick himself, for being too energetic and vibrant, is asking for that....grinning smiley

So who knows if as long as Mick is mocked and seen as controversial and makes people feel irrated (at best: make music critics feel important by critizising him), that's the sign of The Stones are still keep on rolling... the moment he is given a free pass - that's the end?

- Doxa

Interesting questions, the last one in particular. Well, in fact I think that he's actually given a free pass as long as he does what people expect from him - acting as the lead singer of the Rolling Stones, with Keith, Ronnie and Charlie by his side. I have a hard time remembering any overly critical reviews of albums or even shows in what must be decades by now. They seem to be untouchable in whatever they do. Like Uncle Paul or Uncle Bob...
...maybe that's what he finds increasingly boring, despite the financial rewards - and maybe that's why he is still (occasionally!) doing solo stuff, despite the less than satisfactory financial rewards, but for the feeling of being taken seriously - for the better or the worse.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 16, 2021 02:32

Aquamarine
My opinion of Bob Lefsetz (thumbs down) confirmed, yet again. There are few "critics" so full of their own importance and infallibility.

Yeah seems he’s has run ins with artists in the past (Gene Simmons, Taylor Swift) and others. Plus he’s from CT, most likely a Keith guy. The Hell with him I say

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: April 16, 2021 02:51

Mick keeps telling us that he has been working on loads of songs...... If this is the one he decides to make public, imagine how bad the rest of them must be?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 16, 2021 03:03

strat72
Mick keeps telling us that he has been working on loads of songs...... If this is the one he decides to make public, imagine how bad the rest of them must be?

"I wrote it really quickly a few weeks ago. I thought, “Well, I might as well do one on the whole experience of it in a semi-humorous way.” I mean, it’s not at all humorous, obviously, because it’s not a subject of total humor. But, it’s an experience of having to be in a very different kind of world for a whole year now. Then we’re seeing that in a lot of places — we’re coming to see the end of it, or coming to the end of this part of it, and being a bit optimistic in the choruses. So, that was my push for this song. I thought, “Well, it has to come out now because this is the period of optimism. I can’t wait another six months.” So, I thought, you know, that would be good to do."
[iorr.org]

You're welcome.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: April 16, 2021 03:17

Keith needs to rein Mick in, and Mick needs to push Keith out, and somewhere in the middle we will get The Stones.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: April 16, 2021 03:22

Mick put out a new song. It isn’t great, but it isn’t awful. It’s just a quick tune. It was quite unexpected and gave us all something to listen to for a change. I’m glad he did it, good for him, and for those who hate it, just don’t listen to it again. It was meant to be fun, I think. Everyone could use a little FUN after a year of pandemic isolation. Thanks, Mick!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 16, 2021 03:31

From NME:

Mick Jagger and Dave Grohl’s coronabanger ‘Easy Sleazy’ is lockdown in a song

"Open the windows and open the doors... Everything's gonna get really freaky." It's like your grandad and uncle have self-released their COVID song. Bless!

Grohl Jagger

By Alexandra Haddow
15th April 2021

Everything you love has gone a bit… wrong. That’s been the theme of the past year, hasn’t it? The pub, sex with people you’ve just met, someone cooking for you, the cinema, gigs, and now music gods. Mick Jagger and Dave Grohl have released a song with lyrics about the past year called ‘Easy Sleazy’ and, as I write this after watching the video, I am looking online to see if I can apply for compensation. I don’t know if I’ve been watching too much Line Of Duty recently, but the only possible explanation can be a bribe. They owe someone a debt too big to be repaid, and somehow this song was their penance. Either that or it’s a modern art piece, a joke, maybe masterminded by Kanye? It could happen. Anything could happen. This song has happened.

But how?

Dave Grohl, the nicest man in rock, who has released another banger of a Foo Fighters album this year (to critical acclaim), who has walked the halls of rock royalty ever since his foot pedal hit the bass drum in Nirvana in 1990, who has overcome the tragic death of his bandmate and gone on to front an equally as successful globally loved band. Mick Jagger, who is… Mick Jagger. Was this a pissed-up zoom idea at the Legends of Rock’n’Roll Christmas do? Did their record company do it for a dare?

If you haven’t heard it, ‘Easy Sleazy’ is a song that your dad might have written when he took retirement six months earlier than planned due to COVID. The video is sort of ‘We converted our shed into a man cave ’cause we had nothing to do and that lad studying for a film degree down the road has filmed something for me.’ The lyrics sound like one of those Nationwide ads that have been popping up in between Gogglebox where someone has written a poem about the pandemic (full disclosure: I submitted one that didn’t get featured – side-eyes at you, Nationwide).

“That’s a pretty mask / But never take a chance TikTok stupid dance / Took a samba class yeah I landed on my ass / Trying to write a tune you better hook me up to Zoom,” Jagger purrs. I just…. what is this? We should not be living in a world where Mick Jagger is singing about TikTok. I also enjoy the thought that he’s trying to hit on a woman but is also encouraging safety. “Let me shag you with your mask, on love!” The opening verse sounds like something lifted straight from Laurence Fox’s Mayoral campaign literature: “We took it on the chin / The numbers were so grim / Bossed around by pricks / Stiffen upper lips / Pacing in the yard / You’re trying to take the mick . You must think I’m really thick.”

Reclaim your Stone and your Foo please, they’re lost. It’s like watching two people who have been teamed up at a ‘Write your own song’ workshop and they’ve given it a good go. My question, while writing this, was just… why? I’ve checked, no mention of it being a charity single. No war-torn land will benefit from this. Then I saw Jagger’s message underneath the video on YouTube (where he has only 77k subscribers – why so low? Then again, this TikTok song might open him up to a new audience) which reads: “I wanted to share this song that I wrote about eventually coming out of lockdown, with some much needed optimism – thank you to Dave Grohl for jumping on drums, bass and guitar, it was a lot of fun working with you on this – hope you all enjoy Eazy Sleazy!”

And actually, my heart melted a bit. This message is so pure! So innocent! It’s just a guy with his guitar who’s been a bit bored in lockdown and recruited his pal – who happens to be another superstar – to have a jam with him. Ultimately, this song is just the latest on the list of mad things that have happened over the last 12 months. But @#$%& it – people have had a rough time, including Mick Jagger it would seem. Sure, he mentions the Bill Gates microchip – “Shooting the vaccine / Bill Gates is in my bloodstream / It’s mind control” – and you start to worry, but then he adds: “The earth is flat and cold.” Rejoice! It’s satire! Instead of joining the ‘Man In Rock Conspiracy Theorist’ ranks alongside Ian Brown (let’s hope he comes back to us), Mick’s just written a song.

The final line, too, is prescient: “It’ll be a memory you’re trying to remember to forget.” Yes you really have to concentrate for it to make any sense, and perhaps, in this performance art piece, Jagger is laughing at himself. We will try and forget this song. It’s profound. Or maybe it’s just a bored bloke in lockdown messing about. Your move, McCartney.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 16, 2021 05:37

Doxa
Funny to read that Bob Lefzets "review".

It is kinda cool to read some totally negative and long review these days. Mostly people don't really bother any longer. But at the same reading stuff like that makes one ask: what's the point of reviewing a song by an act one doesn't like one inch to begin with? The song could be whatever-like since he basically hates anything in Jagger and Grohl. The point of this review is just to spell out why he hates those two guys so much in general. This one song is an excuse for that (for him, of course, another proof of how awful these two guys are).

Honestly, I find that a bit childish (although I am sure here are people who love it). Also he recicles such old notions, romantical myths and prejudices (Mick vs. Keith and all that) that it also out-dated and intellectually questionable (read: stupid and ignorant). To call that 'criticism' is over-rating its textual value.

- Doxa

He's woke.

That's as dumb as it gets it seems.

Date: April 16, 2021 05:47

retired_dog
treaclefingers
retired_dog
bye bye johnny
Bob Lefsetz's take:

Easy Sleazy

[www.youtube.com]

[lefsetz.com]

One just has to fly over it to get a glimpse of the rubbish that constitutes this review. Jeeez, they're not married. Jeeez, it's a solo tune. No need to explore the origins of the universe to establish the reason why the reviewer does not like it. It's just a piece of music. It's only rock 'n roll, you like it or not. Mick just did what many here have asked our beloved band to do: Don't think twice all too much. Just create. Just bang it out for us to hear. Now Mick did just that. And it's not right again?

Bob Lefsetz is pathetic.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 16, 2021 05:58

>The point of this review is just to spell out why he hates those two guys so much in general.

Actually I think you are giving him way too much credit. Seems to me the point of the review is to show everyone what a genius he (the reviewer) is, and probably to get paid for some column inches. Its just everyday hack "journalism", especially prevalent in the "music press", now as then.

And I may not actually disagree with some of what he says. So its not like I am completely prejudiced to begin with.

jb

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: April 16, 2021 06:31

GhostTown2021
I've been listening to the Stones long enough now, close to sixty years, to know that NOT every song features "Keith's OPEN G riffs, Ronnie's fills, or Charlie's metronomic drumming". However, I'll thank you for taking the time to point that out but you clearly missed my point: I want to hear something from the band as a unit, not these side projects that amount to nothing more than a frivolous throwaway.

I find it amusing that you suggest...or infer...that since I'm so picky, selective, and discriminatory in my musical wants, that I cherry pick through the Stones' catalog, past and/or future, in order to avoid disappointment. Appreciate your concern for my well-being but your benevolence is misguided and misplaced...and certainly not needed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 06:35 by FancyBluesMan.

Date: April 16, 2021 06:35

Dave Grohl must be giggling.

The drummer from Nirvana... recorded a song with Mick Jagger.

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: April 16, 2021 06:38

GhostTown2021
FancyBluesMan

I'm fully aware that Mick is free to do whatever he pleases at this stage of the game but I'm sorry, I want the genuine article...Keith's Open G riffs, Ronnie's fills, Charlie's metronomic drumming (sorry Daryl...you just don't move me anymore)...and will accept nothing less.

Be sure to skip those tracks that don't have the open G riffs. I think that's most of the sixties. And wanting Ronnie's fills leave you out of five or six years more of the Stones. And what about those Stones songs, where Charlie ISN'T drumming? Shudder, maybe best to stay away from the whole album, just be sure.

And what if the new album still has Darryl playing the bass? Ooh, tough one...
I know, you can just say that it sounds like Jagger solo record and use more time bashing it than playing it. Works for you?

I've been listening to the Stones long enough now, close to sixty years, to know that NOT every song features "Keith's OPEN G riffs, Ronnie's fills, or Charlie's metronomic drumming". However, I'll thank you for taking the time to point that out but you clearly missed my point: I want to hear something from the band as a unit, not these side projects that amount to nothing more than a frivolous throwaway.

I find it amusing that you suggest...or infer...that since I'm so picky, selective, and discriminatory in my musical wants, that I cherry pick through the Stones' catalog, past and/or future, in order to avoid disappointment. Appreciate your concern for my well-being but your benevolence is misguided and misplaced...and certainly not needed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 24

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2074
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home