Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 24
Re: NEW!- EAZY SLEAZY — Mick Jagger with Dave Grohl
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 15, 2021 18:29

From the Foo Fighters site..

"Mick Jagger today unveils an exciting surprise for his fans worldwide in the form of the instant release of a track titled ‘Eazy Sleazy.’ The hard-rocking tune written by Mick in lockdown features Jagger on vocals & guitar in collaboration with Foo Fighters main man Dave Grohl providing his signature powerhouse drums, guitar and bass too.

The infectious ‘Eazy Sleazy’ is every inch a song of our times, full of caged energy, a rock ‘n’ roll attitude and tongue in cheek, satirical messaging. MJ muses about the life we’ve all been living with deliciously dark sardonic humour. He reflects on a world of ‘zoom calls’, ‘home in these prison walls’, poncey books, fake applause and too much TV. With optimism and change in sight he looks forward to the world beyond lockdown and the “garden of earthly delights” that lies beyond.

A performance video clip for ‘Eazy Sleazy’ was unveiled simultaneously on April 13 featuring Jagger at home & Grohl in the Foo Fighters studio.

‘Eazy Sleazy’ – Mick Jagger with Dave Grohl, produced by Matt Clifford, is available via YouTube and social platforms. WATCH HERE

Mick commented – “It’s a song that I wrote about coming out of lockdown, with some much needed optimism. Thanks to Dave Grohl for jumping on drums, bass and guitar, it was a lot of fun working with him. – hope you all enjoy Eazy Sleazy”

Dave commented – “It’s hard to put into words what recording this song with Sir Mick means to me. It’s beyond a dream come true. Just when I thought life couldn’t get any crazier……and it’s the song of the summer, without a doubt!!”
[www.foofighters.com]

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 15, 2021 18:42

FancyBluesMan
Just because Mick is remaining active and recording/putting out crap like 'Eazy Sleazy' doesn't immunize him from the criticism being hurled in his direction by those who find this latest 'effort' a bore. Would you be lavishing him with praise if he were to release a collection of children's songs while the Stones continue to remain dormant, simply because "he's almost 80 years old and won't be around forever"?

"Ooh, 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', 'The Eencie Weencie Spider', 'London Bridge is Falling Down'. Hey Mick, thanks so much for making my day. It may not sound like the Stones, but I'm SO thankful you've given us something to listen to". Spare me.

I'm fully aware that Mick is free to do whatever he pleases at this stage of the game but I'm sorry, I want the genuine article...Keith's Open G riffs, Ronnie's fills, Charlie's metronomic drumming (sorry Daryl...you just don't move me anymore)...and will accept nothing less. No more solo stuff, no more collaborations, no more 'I'm bored, trapped in my villa and this is the best I can offer you'. Stop dangling the carrot and get back to doing what you do best!

Perfectly valid opinion as long as this "accept no substitute"-stance doesn't stop you from actually listening to the music in question.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 15, 2021 19:20

If I'm not mistaken, Foghat interchanged "Sleazy" and "Easy" on Slow Ride, during the outro of the song.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 19:21 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 15, 2021 19:26

WorriedAboutYou
Swayed1967
Never thought I’d say this but what an absolute pleasure it is to hear Jagger sing like Johnny Rotten. Would love to hear the Stones cover the punk classics.

What a great idea. That should be their next album. Imagine them doing Neat Neat Neat by the Damned, Bodies by the Pistols and Teenage Lobotomy by the Ramones. Who wouldn't want to hear that? They could even tour it, 100 nights at the 100 Club anyone?

Sounds more like a Mick solo project as I doubt the Stones as a band would ever want to go down that route. A song or two on Some Girls might have been slightly influenced by the punk vibe, but they were far from it as far as actually sounding like punk rock. In this case, seems clear to many where Mick lifted the idea, and he does so with no shame or apologies which in a sense if a bit of a punk attitude in itself.

So next, maybe Mick could do a full on punk covers album that would actually give credit to the tunes he's releasing...thinking the Dead Kennedys' Lets Kill the Landlord...or Police Truck.
And maybe Black Flag's Rise Above or even Nervous Breakdown (which would sort of be close to home). All deal with real life issues and filled with social commentary, and right up his current wheelhouse.

On second thought, scratch that idea completely - bad idea. Glad he's released something "new" and staying busy, but just hoping that at 77 yrs. old he was able to get all this punky angst out of his system for a while.
It's not the worst thing in the world as some here have claimed, and it's far better than Getta Grip/England Lost - no real harm, but realistically it's sort of a novelty song that will be forgotten by most within a couple of weeks.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 15, 2021 19:28

His accent on this is not unlike what he did on Where The Boys Go.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 15, 2021 19:32

Jagger puts out solo tunes one or two at a time. Keith can always do the same, instead of working forever on the 12 tune album format. In fact Keith should do this. You get inspired, so you put it out on youtube.

Ghost Town also was sudden inspiration, so was put out by itself. It got tons of youtube views and acclaim. Gave the Stones lots of visibility. Ya gotta strike while iron is hot!

Date: April 15, 2021 19:42

Hairball
WorriedAboutYou
Swayed1967
Never thought I’d say this but what an absolute pleasure it is to hear Jagger sing like Johnny Rotten. Would love to hear the Stones cover the punk classics.

What a great idea. That should be their next album. Imagine them doing Neat Neat Neat by the Damned, Bodies by the Pistols and Teenage Lobotomy by the Ramones. Who wouldn't want to hear that? They could even tour it, 100 nights at the 100 Club anyone?

Sounds more like a Mick solo project as I doubt the Stones as a band would ever want to go down that route. A song or two on Some Girls might have been slightly influenced by the punk vibe, but they were far from it as far as actually sounding like punk rock. In this case, seems clear to many where Mick lifted the idea, and he does so with no shame or apologies which in a sense if a bit of a punk attitude in itself.

So next, maybe Mick could do a full on punk covers album that would actually give credit to the tunes he's releasing...thinking the Dead Kennedys' Lets Kill the Landlord...or Police Truck.
And maybe Black Flag's Rise Above or even Nervous Breakdown (which would sort of be close to home). All deal with real life issues and filled with social commentary, and right up his current wheelhouse.

On second thought, scratch that idea completely - bad idea. Glad he's released something "new" and staying busy, but just hoping that at 77 yrs. old he was able to get all this punky angst out of his system for a while.
It's not the worst thing in the world as some here have claimed, and it's far better than Getta Grip/England Lost - no real harm, but realistically it's sort of a novelty song that will be forgotten by most within a couple of weeks.

Good point, a lot of punk sounds similar eye rolling smiley
Also think Mick already addressed the issue in a round about way... winking smiley

"Why did you decide to write about (Mick) conspiracy theories?
It just seems to be that even people you know that are relatively sensible about a lot of things have one thing (Mick) that they just don’t kind of get. I have several friends and relations and they go off on these (Mick) things that just doesn’t… They’re just irrational. Of course, there’s no point in speaking to people about (Mick) it. They don’t get it. They got what they believe in and they believe in that. And it doesn’t matter what you say, they’re gonna believe in it. And rational thought doesn’t work."

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 15, 2021 19:45

Hairball

At least one Some Girls video was very punk inspired. --->>> "Respectable" --->>> [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 15, 2021 19:45

DandelionPowderman

The chorus on Eazy, Sleazy is more melodic, and I really, really like the punk-ish, almost Michael Monroe-esque, sentences/phrases in the verses (..."lobotomising me"). Suits Mick well, like we heard on the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue-albums.

Good stuff thumbs up

Haha, a good one! There was something very familiar to me - especially in that "Lobotomizing me" part - that I couldn't quite locate. But could it be accidental, both channeling a bit Johnny Rotten there?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 19:46 by Doxa.

Date: April 15, 2021 19:48

triceratops
Hairball

At least one Some Girls video was very punk inspired. --->>> "Respectable" --->>> [www.youtube.com]

True enough, but I was referring specifically to the sound and vibe of those tunes.

As for this new tune, maybe there will be a radically remixed extended version ...sort of a punk reggae dub version...some heavy reverb on the guitars...dropping a few vocal lines in and out...crank up the bass...
tone down and change the beat of the drums....getting rid of some of the harsh/compressed noise...making it totally unrecognizable from the original...could be a massive improvement.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 15, 2021 19:53

The Stones cover of Just My Imagination came my way via the Walkman and I thought, "My god, how hard they could/can play." It brought to mind this song with Grohl and how much energy is in it. Still don't like it, but the energy is undeniable. It made me think of how the Stones as a collective could/should innervate their sound, throw caution to the wind, rather than make another album based on tried and true sounds and formulas. At this point in time what in the hell do they have to lose? Just because you're older doesn't mean you can't rock your as* off.

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 19:55

FancyBluesMan

I'm fully aware that Mick is free to do whatever he pleases at this stage of the game but I'm sorry, I want the genuine article...Keith's Open G riffs, Ronnie's fills, Charlie's metronomic drumming (sorry Daryl...you just don't move me anymore)...and will accept nothing less.

Be sure to skip those tracks that don't have the open G riffs. I think that's most of the sixties. And wanting Ronnie's fills leave you out of five or six years more of the Stones. And what about those Stones songs, where Charlie ISN'T drumming? Shudder, maybe best to stay away from the whole album, just be sure.

And what if the new album still has Darryl playing the bass? Ooh, tough one...
I know, you can just say that it sounds like Jagger solo record and use more time bashing it than playing it. Works for you?

Date: April 15, 2021 20:03

dmay
The Stones cover of Just My Imagination came my way via the Walkman and I thought, "My god, how hard they could/can play." It brought to mind this song with Grohl and how much energy is in it. Still don't like it, but the energy is undeniable. It made me think of how the Stones as a collective could/should innervate their sound, throw caution to the wind, rather than make another album based on tried and true sounds and formulas. At this point in time what in the hell do they have to lose? Just because you're older doesn't mean you can't rock your as* off.

Interesting thought, but did you see the recent clip of Keith in the studio? Or some of his performances from the last several tours?
I think the days of Keith "rocking his ass off" are far behind him - at least as far as fast paced tunes like this one - maybe that's why Mick opted for the much younger and more energetic Grohl.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 15, 2021 20:05

retired_dog
FancyBluesMan
Just because Mick is remaining active and recording/putting out crap like 'Eazy Sleazy' doesn't immunize him from the criticism being hurled in his direction by those who find this latest 'effort' a bore. Would you be lavishing him with praise if he were to release a collection of children's songs while the Stones continue to remain dormant, simply because "he's almost 80 years old and won't be around forever"?

"Ooh, 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', 'The Eencie Weencie Spider', 'London Bridge is Falling Down'. Hey Mick, thanks so much for making my day. It may not sound like the Stones, but I'm SO thankful you've given us something to listen to". Spare me.

I'm fully aware that Mick is free to do whatever he pleases at this stage of the game but I'm sorry, I want the genuine article...Keith's Open G riffs, Ronnie's fills, Charlie's metronomic drumming (sorry Daryl...you just don't move me anymore)...and will accept nothing less. No more solo stuff, no more collaborations, no more 'I'm bored, trapped in my villa and this is the best I can offer you'. Stop dangling the carrot and get back to doing what you do best!

Perfectly valid opinion as long as this "accept no substitute"-stance doesn't stop you from actually listening to the music in question.

Exactly, especially since last anyone with ears checked ES doesn't exactly sound like 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', maybe we can cross that bridge if/when we get there ?

@MisterDDDD - thanks for posting what appears on the FF site, so they are saying it's a Mick song as seemed obvious from the get-go and interviews, not sure why it was branded as a co-write in some articles. I still hear Grohl's "interesting" voicings in the chorus though.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 15, 2021 20:10

DandelionPowderman
Wouldn't surprise me if this track turns up as the only track on an expensive vinyl release soon, though.

With Gotta Get A Grip / England Lost in mind, especially the horrific price they charged for it, anything else will baffle me.

Yes, it's Mick we're talking about grinning smiley

With that said, I'll buy it and play it loud, like always, hehe.

Btw, I've listened a lot to this track, and I like it. I think there's more to this tune than that of Doom And Gloom. It stands on its own, without flashy production techniques. Doom And Gloom needed the Bhasker-remix to make it swing, imo.

The chorus on Eazy, Sleazy is more melodic, and I really, really like the punk-ish, almost Michael Monroe-esque, sentences/phrases in the verses (..."lobotomising me"). Suits Mick well, like we heard on the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue-albums.

Good stuff thumbs up

Oh, this time I have to disagree with you, my friend. "Doom And Gloom" got my heart beat faster upon first listen; this one definitely not!smileys with beer

Date: April 15, 2021 20:15

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Good stuff thumbs up

Haha, a good one! There was something very familiar to me - especially in that "Lobotomizing me" part - that I couldn't quite locate. But could it be accidental, both channeling a bit Johnny Rotten there?

- Doxa

Probably smiling smiley

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 20:37

Do we think Mick is anti the pandemic lockdowns? Or celebrating their end?

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 15, 2021 20:45

I think he doesn't really have an opinion.. he's talking on the phone calling people asking them if they've got the vaccine already, and when they say well I have my doubts he writes a song about wacky conspiracy theories

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 15, 2021 20:49

Bob Lefsetz's take:

Easy Sleazy

[www.youtube.com]

Somewhere Keith Richards is smiling, if not outright laughing. Without him, Mick Jagger appears completely out of touch with no soul. Mick may be the front man, but who is behind him turns out to be the essence of his success.

This is not the first time Mick has tried to go solo. And he always fails, even with the biggest push behind him. His Columbia albums of yore were too slick, anything but down and dirty, as if made by a posh guy who went to the London School of Economics… Whew, that’s what he did, right? Is that who he is? Has he been hanging with the rich and famous so long that he has lost his perspective?

Even worse is Dave Grohl. This track reveals the flaws of Mr. Rock Music up front and center… Dynamics? THERE ARE NONE! So, it’s loud and in your face, but it’s easy to reject, easy not to pay attention, furthermore, it’s all so SAFE! Rock and roll used to be dangerous, but Dave Grohl is the guy you want to bring home to mom, explain that to me please.

Of course this track has no traction, not even a million plays on YouTube as I write this, the fact that he’s a Stone is irrelevant in a marketplace where status and hype are secondary, if relevant at all, to the music itself. The penumbra has never meant less, can you deliver the goods?

Where has Mick been camping all these days? We’re looking for something gritty, insightful, that captures our feelings. Instead we’ve got a rich guy playing the guitar expressing emotions…not at all. Yes, the lyrics say something, but the delivery is all one note.

As for the lyrics… He almost appears to be pulling a Van Morrison, anti-lockdown. But upon further reflection it appears… Well, it’s not exactly clear what he is saying, other than lockdown is ending. But I’d rather dance in the streets to Martha and the Vandellas than this crap.

And it’s not the 1960s anymore, where I’m forced to listen to what I don’t like until maybe I do, like it that is. It’s painful to make it all the way through “Easy Sleazy,” I only did because I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something, so that I could write this screed with full authority, but you aren’t missing anything if you check out early.

And “sleazy”? That’s not a word I think of when I contemplate the covid lockdown, nor emergence from it. Sleazy is late night in the dark high on drugs, it’s never sleazy with the bright lights on, and this track is nothing if not bright.

Come on, listen to the intro to “Gimmie Shelter”… “Easy Sleazy” is just the opposite, but one can argue today is darker than yesterday, now is not the time to be mindless.

As for singing about what is happening now… It works with gravitas, just ask Neil Young, with “Ohio,” never mind Marvin Gaye with “What’s Going On.” As for more recent numbers capturing the zeitgeist…it’s hard to find them, at least successful ones. We’re told by the successful to write a song with a score of people and dress well so you can tell the audience what they’re missing out on, so they can envy you, when the truth is they should run in the opposite direction. There’s no truth-telling like there was with N.W.A. and Ice-T and the seers of yore. I mean the cops just killed somebody in Minnesota, shouldn’t the song be about that instead of partying?

Once upon a time Mick Jagger captured the zeitgeist, now it’s nowhere to be found in his life or his lexicon, he’s lost touch. Now is when you make a statement, this track no different from George Bush telling everybody after 9/11 to go out and shop, to keep the economy humming, the real issues? Oh, of course “Easy Sleazy” goes deeper than that, but its message is so confusing, there’s so much irony, that it goes straight over the heads of those who do listen, and it’s not like the focus is on the lyrics anyway, they’re overwhelmed by the buzzing guitar sound.

A sound Keith Richards never employed.

Keith Richard was the anti-gunslinger, the anti-guitar hero. Forget playing a lot of notes in a small period of time, he frequently played no notes at all! It was about chords, sound, closer to the Edge than Yngwie Malmsteen.

You see most of creativity, most of excellence, happens between the ears. That’s the essence of rock and roll, that’s the essence of the Ramones, you don’t need to be highly skilled to get your message down, to make a great record, but you certainly have to think about it. It’s about channeling God, capturing lightning in a bottle, if you do it right the zeitgeist is right there in the grooves. If you find the zeitgeist in “Easy Sleazy” you don’t know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones.

Come on, compare Nirvana with Foo Fighters, Cobain with Grohl. And this is less of a put-down of Grohl than an exaltation of Cobain. Anybody can go through the motions, but to ascend to the pantheon you need a certain vision, a certain attitude, a willingness to push buttons and test limits…can you say “John Lennon”?

You can also say “Keith Richards.”

Keith has led anything but a perfect life. Better to watch the movie than live it. But he’s never wavered from his focus on creating the best music, with the essence of life, attitude and truth involved. Has he always succeeded? No, but he’s never failed on the level of Mick Jagger.

Mick needs Keith’s pull to keep him in line, to focus him, to bring him down to earth. Just like Bono needs the Edge. It’s Edge’s guitarwork that anchors U2, not Bono’s lyrics, they’re just the cherry on top. Bono goes out and tries to save the world, but he’d have no voice if it weren’t for the Edge, who’s got almost no voice at all.

Mick thinks being a rock star is being famous. Riding the crest of the wave, being held up by the people. But if he did a solo show he wouldn’t be able to crowdsurf, no one would hold him up! Especially the ancient who are only going on name value.

“Easy Sleazy” is drivel. And the best thing about today is drivel can be completely ignored, can fall out of sight nearly instantly. Which this will do.

Mick… Check with Keith, check with someone with their feet truly on the ground before you take action, make another misstep.

As for Mr. Grohl… So you played with a Stone, who cares? At this point we’ve all had brushes with greatness, this song is barely better than a selfie. Now it’s about the work.

And you’ve got to work harder.

[lefsetz.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 15, 2021 21:11

Bidding in the auction already up to almost $9 million after one hour.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 15, 2021 21:13

That's the worst review I've ever read. Christgau wannabe.

Date: April 15, 2021 21:18

bye bye johnny
Bob Lefsetz's take:

Somewhere Keith Richards is smiling, if not outright laughing
I

You know what Keith Richards is not doing?

Releasing new music.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 15, 2021 21:24

jahisnotdead
bye bye johnny
Bob Lefsetz's take:

Somewhere Keith Richards is smiling, if not outright laughing
I

You know what Keith Richards is not doing?

Releasing new music.

According to Lefsetz, that is a safe way not to fail.

Date: April 15, 2021 21:24

If you find the zeitgeist in “Easy Sleazy” you don’t know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones.

What part of "it's only rock and roll" do you not understand, Mr.Lefsetz?

Date: April 15, 2021 21:30

bye bye johnny
Bob Lefsetz's take:

Easy Sleazy

[lefsetz.com]

Thanks for posting bye bye johnny, and credit to Bob Lefsetz for giving his honest opinion. The good, the bad, and the ugly...warts and all...no holds barred.
Might ruffle some feathers and hurt some feelings, but he's not afraid to give his opinion, and thankfully there's a thing called freedom of speech.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 21:52

bye bye johnny
Bob Lefsetz's take:

Easy Sleazy

[www.youtube.com]

Somewhere Keith Richards is smiling, if not outright laughing. Without him, Mick Jagger appears completely out of touch with no soul. Mick may be the front man, but who is behind him turns out to be the essence of his success.

This is not the first time Mick has tried to go solo. And he always fails, even with the biggest push behind him. His Columbia albums of yore were too slick, anything but down and dirty, as if made by a posh guy who went to the London School of Economics… Whew, that’s what he did, right? Is that who he is? Has he been hanging with the rich and famous so long that he has lost his perspective?

Even worse is Dave Grohl. This track reveals the flaws of Mr. Rock Music up front and center… Dynamics? THERE ARE NONE! So, it’s loud and in your face, but it’s easy to reject, easy not to pay attention, furthermore, it’s all so SAFE! Rock and roll used to be dangerous, but Dave Grohl is the guy you want to bring home to mom, explain that to me please.

Of course this track has no traction, not even a million plays on YouTube as I write this, the fact that he’s a Stone is irrelevant in a marketplace where status and hype are secondary, if relevant at all, to the music itself. The penumbra has never meant less, can you deliver the goods?

Where has Mick been camping all these days? We’re looking for something gritty, insightful, that captures our feelings. Instead we’ve got a rich guy playing the guitar expressing emotions…not at all. Yes, the lyrics say something, but the delivery is all one note.

As for the lyrics… He almost appears to be pulling a Van Morrison, anti-lockdown. But upon further reflection it appears… Well, it’s not exactly clear what he is saying, other than lockdown is ending. But I’d rather dance in the streets to Martha and the Vandellas than this crap.

And it’s not the 1960s anymore, where I’m forced to listen to what I don’t like until maybe I do, like it that is. It’s painful to make it all the way through “Easy Sleazy,” I only did because I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss something, so that I could write this screed with full authority, but you aren’t missing anything if you check out early.

And “sleazy”? That’s not a word I think of when I contemplate the covid lockdown, nor emergence from it. Sleazy is late night in the dark high on drugs, it’s never sleazy with the bright lights on, and this track is nothing if not bright.

Come on, listen to the intro to “Gimmie Shelter”… “Easy Sleazy” is just the opposite, but one can argue today is darker than yesterday, now is not the time to be mindless.

As for singing about what is happening now… It works with gravitas, just ask Neil Young, with “Ohio,” never mind Marvin Gaye with “What’s Going On.” As for more recent numbers capturing the zeitgeist…it’s hard to find them, at least successful ones. We’re told by the successful to write a song with a score of people and dress well so you can tell the audience what they’re missing out on, so they can envy you, when the truth is they should run in the opposite direction. There’s no truth-telling like there was with N.W.A. and Ice-T and the seers of yore. I mean the cops just killed somebody in Minnesota, shouldn’t the song be about that instead of partying?

Once upon a time Mick Jagger captured the zeitgeist, now it’s nowhere to be found in his life or his lexicon, he’s lost touch. Now is when you make a statement, this track no different from George Bush telling everybody after 9/11 to go out and shop, to keep the economy humming, the real issues? Oh, of course “Easy Sleazy” goes deeper than that, but its message is so confusing, there’s so much irony, that it goes straight over the heads of those who do listen, and it’s not like the focus is on the lyrics anyway, they’re overwhelmed by the buzzing guitar sound.

Keith Richard was the anti-gunslinger, the anti-guitar hero. Forget playing a lot of notes in a small period of time, he frequently played no notes at all! It was about chords, sound, closer to the Edge than Yngwie Malmsteen.

You see most of creativity, most of excellence, happens between the ears. That’s the essence of rock and roll, that’s the essence of the Ramones, you don’t need to be highly skilled to get your message down, to make a great record, but you certainly have to think about it. It’s about channeling God, capturing lightning in a bottle, if you do it right the zeitgeist is right there in the grooves. If you find the zeitgeist in “Easy Sleazy” you don’t know what it is, do you, Mr. Jones.

Come on, compare Nirvana with Foo Fighters, Cobain with Grohl. And this is less of a put-down of Grohl than an exaltation of Cobain. Anybody can go through the motions, but to ascend to the pantheon you need a certain vision, a certain attitude, a willingness to push buttons and test limits…can you say “John Lennon”?

Keith has led anything but a perfect life. Better to watch the movie than live it. But he’s never wavered from his focus on creating the best music, with the essence of life, attitude and truth involved. Has he always succeeded? No, but he’s never failed on the level of Mick Jagger.

Mick needs Keith’s pull to keep him in line, to focus him, to bring him down to earth. Just like Bono needs the Edge. It’s Edge’s guitarwork that anchors U2, not Bono’s lyrics, they’re just the cherry on top. Bono goes out and tries to save the world, but he’d have no voice if it weren’t for the Edge, who’s got almost no voice at all.

Mick thinks being a rock star is being famous. Riding the crest of the wave, being held up by the people. But if he did a solo show he wouldn’t be able to crowdsurf, no one would hold him up! Especially the ancient who are only going on name value.

“Easy Sleazy” is drivel. And the best thing about today is drivel can be completely ignored, can fall out of sight nearly instantly. Which this will do.

Mick… Check with Keith, check with someone with their feet truly on the ground before you take action, make another misstep.

As for Mr. Grohl… So you played with a Stone, who cares? At this point we’ve all had brushes with greatness, this song is barely better than a selfie. Now it’s about the work.

[lefsetz.com]

I love good ol’ Keef as much as anyone but - let’s be honest - he ran out of gas decades ago. At least Mick is still going for it. Kudos to the man.

Date: April 15, 2021 21:55

Boy that guy is arrogant. For someone who name drops so many other artists and loves showing off his musical knowledge, he doesn't seem to know a thing about music.

It's a narrow view of the music world to continue to picture Mick and Keith as Siamese Twins.

I'm sure Keith got first crack at this, and we all know he's not going to work via Zoom. Grohl would. Simple as that. The Rolling Stones are now a huge ocean liner, and a release like "Eazy Sleazy" is meant to be a nimble sailboat. It was written, recorded, and released quickly. This is nothing new. Songs sometimes are meant to hold a mirror to the times they were written in. Mick acknowledges that this song wouldn't be relevant in a few months. It's a snapshot of time.

This critic didn't even want to finish one listen! That's ridiculous. It seems punk songs were made especially for guys like him, and frankly I'm glad that "Eazy Sleazy" had the power to disgust him.

Comparing "Eazy Sleazy" to "Gimmie Shelter" is like comparing "Where The Boys All Go" or "Respectable" to "Gimmie Shelter" - they're totally different songs with different aims, and for a music critic to not realize that is just plain dumb. Again, such an incredibly narrow view of music from someone who claims to enjoy music and has wide-ranging musical knowledge.

If Keith wants to write, record, and release a song, he can do it. I'd be up for it. If Keith is really laughing, let's put the cards on the table and hear one of his dynamite riffs as a killer surprise song release. Didn't he say there was new music on the horizon? Well, we're ready and waiting. Soon as he's done laughing, he can put it out and we can all see how much better his song is. It shouldn't be a hard task at all.

Date: April 15, 2021 21:56

Look hard enough you'll find another idiot with "a blog an an email newsletter".

One line proves this guys membership in the idiot brigade.. I honestly could care less about criticism of the music, different tastes/likes/etc.. but this clown is part of the oddly weird anti-mick cult we see here on the hourly. Embarrassing.

"As for the lyrics… He almost appears to be pulling a Van Morrison, anti-lockdown. But upon further reflection it appears… Well, it’s not exactly clear what he is saying, other than lockdown is ending"

Does the guy read a paper even (realize he's not in one.. butconfused smiley )

Love it.
Mick can still piss these clowns off..

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 15, 2021 22:16

Honestly I enjoy seeing Mick doing something, anything but I don't enjoy the song. After a couple of listens, the melody of the chorus is really grating on me and while the verses are fun in some way, I also see the recurring pattern of Mick name-checking the latest buzzwords as if to convince future listeners that he actually was around up until that time. Everyone is trying to be ironic these days which made irony itself a bottomless hole. At the same time he seems to be trying for an everyman's perspective on the lockdown experience (who would ever believe that he actually put on any weight?) which just reinforced how ironically detached he really is. In the end it becomes more incoherent the closer you look at it. Yet it's not supposed to be examined that close, we're supposed to enjoy it musically? In that regard it's unremarkable. What Grohl does is by-the-numbers. Again it's nice to see Mick is doing something but his main point seems to be showing the fans that he's doing something so he might as well get back at doing what he does best.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 15, 2021 22:49

bye bye johnny
Bob Lefsetz's take:

Easy Sleazy

[www.youtube.com]

[lefsetz.com]

Mick...Keith...Mick...Keith...Mick...Keith...Keith...Keith...Mick...Keith...Mick...Keith and on an on.

One just has to fly over it to get a glimpse of the rubbish that constitutes this review. Jeeez, they're not married. Jeeez, it's a solo tune. No need to explore the origins of the universe to establish the reason why the reviewer does not like it. It's just a piece of music. It's only rock 'n roll, you like it or not. Mick just did what many here have asked our beloved band to do: Don't think twice all too much. Just create. Just bang it out for us to hear. Now Mick did just that. And it's not right again?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 23:47 by retired_dog.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 24

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home