Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 24
Re: NEW!- EAZY SLEAZY — Mick Jagger with Dave Grohl
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 15, 2021 11:17

georgelicks
Over 1.1 million views in 30 hours, not bad for a guy reaching 78 years old in 2 months, that's the way things work right now, a surprise drop, no physical format available, quick, fast and collect views on Youtube.

This looks like a total 'I just made it all by myself, and just share it at my youtube channel' thing. Like anyone of us could do. Just do it and put it out. No contracts, no record company, no other instance, involved.

Funnily, taken the punk vibe the track has - that reminds me of the times when punk rock came along - it was not just the music, or certain style of it, it was the idea of doing all by yourself without any bigger authorities, record companies or business side of the things, no rock star bullshit - print your own records, own papers, have your own small clubs with performers and the audience being equal, etc. It was 'anti'- against all the forms of rock star culture by then (and that's why bands like the Stones were 'enemies'). Just 'trust yourself - do what you want and fvck the rest'. The attitude.

(I guess that - 'punk revolution in rock' - was more of European thing, as far as I know punk never had that big influence in USA, except in places like New York that had its own scene. In Continental Europe, after coping the basic idea from England, punk really was a big thing and despite its heyday being just a couple of years it had a lasting impact on culture - one of the most important traits was emphasizing locality - bands starting to sing in their own language, instead of the 'official', universal language of rock stars, English. With the language, as it typically is, some local cultural specialities and traits came along with it. For example, here in Finland the whole genre of Finnish rock was born out of it.)

So funnily the modern technology - over forty years later - allows people to realize those old punk ideals much easier than it was back then. Co-incident or not, the world's biggest rock star - the public enemy number one of whole punk culture back then - is doing it. The irony....

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 11:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: April 15, 2021 11:27

Swayed1967
Never thought I’d say this but what an absolute pleasure it is to hear Jagger sing like Johnny Rotten. Would love to hear the Stones cover the punk classics.

What a great idea. That should be their next album. Imagine them doing Neat Neat Neat by the Damned, Bodies by the Pistols and Teenage Lobotomy by the Ramones. Who wouldn't want to hear that? They could even tour it, 100 nights at the 100 Club anyone?

Date: April 15, 2021 11:34

This tune is just a little glimpse of light in our grey, boring, every day pandemic-life.

Thank you, Mick thumbs up

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 15, 2021 12:10

[SORRY WRONG THREAD, Please Delete]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 14:37 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: April 15, 2021 12:19

It's quite amazing reading all the comments. Nice range between "Love it" and "that's crap". Funny to see how people analyze a new song that should be rather viewed with a wink.

Hell, people, there are two bored musicians that produced a new song. That's it. I guess neither Mick nor Dave are expecting this song becoming a global hit single. They've just put out a tune both like, and obviuosly many people like too. That's all, don't take the whole damn thing too hard.

PS: I'm among those who like that track

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 15, 2021 12:49

If Mick had asked Keith to join in on this song, it would probably have been played just as fast as...You can´t always get what you want...Keith really IS 78 this year...not 52, like Mick and Dave...

Date: April 15, 2021 13:19

Bjorn
If Mick had asked Keith to join in on this song, it would probably have been played just as fast as...You can´t always get what you want...Keith really IS 78 this year...not 52, like Mick and Dave...

Like the ending of YCAGWYW? winking smiley

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 15, 2021 13:33

Easy Sleazy is an amuse bouche, not a full course in a dinner. And after all the amuses of the last few years, I'm really starting to get hungry....

Perhaps that's also the problem for a fairly unpretentious collaboration like this: it's not seen as a snack because the serving of the main meal keeps getting postponed.

Suppose that since A Bigger Bang 2 studio albums and 1 cover album would have come out. Then songs like Doom & Gloom, Living in A Ghost Town and Easy Sleazy wouldn't have as much weight in the eyes of fans either and would probably be judged more mildly. After all, who doesn't like a snack?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 15, 2021 14:12

the more I hear it...the more I like it...catchy little ditty....great job Mick and Dave

Date: April 15, 2021 14:28

Just heard it for the first time. I admire Jagger's power to go on and on, no matter the quality of the music.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 15, 2021 14:40

Doxa
georgelicks
Over 1.1 million views in 30 hours, not bad for a guy reaching 78 years old in 2 months, that's the way things work right now, a surprise drop, no physical format available, quick, fast and collect views on Youtube.

This looks like a total 'I just made it all by myself, and just share it at my youtube channel' thing. Like anyone of us could do. Just do it and put it out. No contracts, no record company, no other instance, involved.

Funnily, taken the punk vibe the track has - that reminds me of the times when punk rock came along - it was not just the music, or certain style of it, it was the idea of doing all by yourself without any bigger authorities, record companies or business side of the things, no rock star bullshit - print your own records, own papers, have your own small clubs with performers and the audience being equal, etc. It was 'anti'- against all the forms of rock star culture by then (and that's why bands like the Stones were 'enemies'). Just 'trust yourself - do what you want and fvck the rest'. The attitude.

(I guess that - 'punk revolution in rock' - was more of European thing, as far as I know punk never had that big influence in USA, except in places like New York that had its own scene. In Continental Europe, after coping the basic idea from England, punk really was a big thing and despite its heyday being just a couple of years it had a lasting impact on culture - one of the most important traits was emphasizing locality - bands starting to sing in their own language, instead of the 'official', universal language of rock stars, English. With the language, as it typically is, some local cultural specialities and traits came along with it. For example, here in Finland the whole genre of Finnish rock was born out of it.)

So funnily the modern technology - over forty years later - allows people to realize those old punk ideals much easier than it was back then. Co-incident or not, the world's biggest rock star - the public enemy number one of whole punk culture back then - is doing it. The irony....

- Doxa

Wondering if by not releasing it for purchase(yet), it is also a nod to the genre, or if as George says "that's just the way things work right now".

Not doubting George's expertise and knowledge, but like LIAGT, if the Stones released this, I'd probably already have a t-shirt and a whatever colored vinyl in route winking smiley

Date: April 15, 2021 14:44

Meise
It's quite amazing reading all the comments. Nice range between "Love it" and "that's crap". Funny to see how people analyze a new song that should be rather viewed with a wink.

Hell, people, there are two bored musicians that produced a new song. That's it. I guess neither Mick nor Dave are expecting this song becoming a global hit single. They've just put out a tune both like, and obviuosly many people like too. That's all, don't take the whole damn thing too hard.

PS: I'm among those who like that track

Haha, if it really turns out that it is only released/'shared' in YouTube, they really weren't looking for a global hit, to put it mildly. I mean, there will be no radio play, no Spotify streaming... (and since we are here talking about an old catalogue artist, and knowing his target audience, not having physical release to go with is absolutely a commercial disaster). Still having almost 1.3 million views now is pretty impressive, no matter how you look at it (but 'no money in it', like Keith once said to Chuck Berry for the latter suggesting him to play jazz).

But think of it, any rock song to make a chart these days is a rarity (except making some bloody artificial 'rock chart', etc.)... and we are here talking about a dirty little bugger with a punk vibe.... The song doesn't exactly scream commercial pop success... haha...

But I am sure even no matter how avantgarde it is (compared to anything in charts nowadays and Mick will not get almost any penny out of it), we will sooner or later hear the good old 'Jagger is only chasing trends here' and 'desperatively looking for a hit song or to be relevant'... Although I admit the expected Jagger bashing typical to a certain block of Stones fanbase has discovered some novel angles in this thread. That's refreshing. grinning smiley (Seriously: mostly it is just a question of differing taste, and only a couple of contributors with a big mouth seem to have a bigger agenda here.)

That said, like georgelicks mentioned above, the way the whole thing is done and distributed that's very 2021 - and something we will sooner or later to be get used to as far as releasing any new music go. Not just physical releases, also the radio stations, charts, the record companies - those all will die off. You ain't seen nothing yet... just a glimpse of it. Music will not die off, of course, but its function and meaning will dramatically change in compared to Golden Age of Popular Music (we all here have lived in).

One thing to notice nowadays is that how irrelevant the charts altogether actually are. Most of the people - a VERY big majority - nowadays have no any idea what a supposed hit song is or sounds like. The cultural resonance or impact is pretty small - there is no 'expressing the zeitgeit' or 'providing a soundtrack' for ages to come, and be someday nostalgic about. It is not just the old people not being into kid's stuff any longer - the same thing is happening among the kids as well. The music is not any longer all around, to be heard anywhere. Something one cannot avoid no matter what one thinks of it. There is no contemporary equavalent for "Rock Around The Clock" or "Satisfaction" - or even "Smells Like A Teen Spirit", if you like - and had been for ages. Now it is a personal concern, an inner thing of certain societies (some being bigger, some smaller) - you need to look for it. There is still a radio channel for each taste and more (some bigger, some smaller), but the ratings go down, down, down all over the board. Somebody is still making big money out of it - even more than ever - since there still are somehow major enough radio stations and channels (to play given song lists) and likewise the online platforms are dominated by big record companies (and the original deals between actors like Spotify and the record companies were very favourable for the latter ones - in order to fight the piratism made possible by modern technology; they escaped the bullet there). But the clock is ticking....

Oh man, this new release get me really going... I pull the brakes now... grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 14:59 by Doxa.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 15:21

Mind you Mick Jagger. If you release music that mixes blues and rock with contemporary elements you will be called a wanna-be pop star, who apparently follows every step of the Biebers and Swifts. "That's not creative, that's pop shit! I hate Disco, only dubious people listen to Disco! Too much synth! Stick to your Roots!"

Then you decide to release just a basic straight-forward rock song with nothing but guitars, bass, drums and vocals, obviously not taking itself too seriously. "You wanna-be punk! Way too simple and superficial! Can't you write heart-touching songs like Keith? Do you have to keep up with what's going on with the younger generation? Tik Tok? Zoom? How pathetic!!"

What ever you do, Mick, in some people's eyes on here, it's all about competition and Keith can throw out a generic half-hearted 12-bar blues (way more creative than just copying "Liar" Pffff) in a 1 min video and he wins, no matter what....

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 15, 2021 15:23

MonkeyMan2000
Mind you Mick Jagger. If you release music that mixes blues and rock with contemporary elements you will be called a wanna-be pop star, who apparently follows every step of the Biebers and Swifts. "That's not creative, that's pop shit! I hate Disco, only dubious people listen to Disco! Too much synth! Stick to your Roots!"

Then you decide to release just a basic straight-forward rock song with nothing but guitars, bass, drums and vocals, obviously not taking itself too seriously. "You wanna-be punk! Way too simple and superficial! Can't you write heart-touching songs like Keith? Do you have to keep up with what's going on with the younger generation? Tik Tok? Zoom? How pathetic!!"

What ever you do, Mick, in some people's eyes on here, it's all about competition and Keith can throw out a generic half-hearted 12-bar blues (way more creative than just copying "Liar" Pffff) in a 1 min video and he wins, no matter what....

thumbs up

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 15, 2021 16:05

The song has only recently been published on YouTube. I'd be pretty surprised if it were not soon to be available for streaming and download, at least.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 16:16

Musically it’s listenable simple stuff.But the lyrics and Jaggers singing are horrible.That annoying cockney accent.And people who accuse Mick Taylor of overplaying, how about Jagger’soversinging,if you can call it singing.More like rapping.It’s like he is trying to win a singing contest for how many words you can shout out per note.Glad this isn’t a Stones song

Date: April 15, 2021 16:29

I roughly understand the scope of the meaning of the title.
But...
The words "easy" and "sleazy" when they are together do they make up a specific expression with its own meaning (something like "piece of cake") or do I just have to add up (so to speak) their separate meanings?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 16:33 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 15, 2021 16:33

Just plugged the phone into the amp and listened to it for the first time, at full volume as it is supposed to be listened.

No, it is not a masterpiece. No, it will not remembered as the JJF of this century. Fair enough, the "roll" is quite stiff.

Still, I like it!

Should I join the Bon Jovi forum?

C

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 15, 2021 16:35

Given it a third spin. It is catchy with the lyrics and all but after a while it becomes annoying. Hearing it on radio a couple of times, which I haven't, will give a final decision.
So far I think it's in line with "Doom and Gloom". Something that would fit on his latest solo album. Jagger is staying busy though - you can't take that away from him.

Date: April 15, 2021 16:43

MisterDDDD

Wondering if by not releasing it for purchase(yet), it is also a nod to the genre, or if as George says "that's just the way things work right now".

Not doubting George's expertise and knowledge, but like LIAGT, if the Stones released this, I'd probably already have a t-shirt and a whatever colored vinyl in route winking smiley

Yeah, this is a pretty interesting issue. It looks like that there is not any commercial interest there - and it is Mick Jagger we talk about! But he still promotes it by giving interviews etc. But all of its promotion, from the base we know now, serves just to make people to listen it. It can be listened/viewed in YouTube - probably the easiest platform for anyone to catch it - but at the same time the one the artist himself get smallest relative percentage of views in any online service (if there are not any specific deal with YouTube...). It looks like released just for arts sake and nothing else.

It is totally different with 'proper' Stones releases. There we have the whole UMG industry milking any possible cent out of it. Like you mentioned, all the t-shirts and different physical copies, etc. (it is very important to notice that controlling the merchandise was a part of the renewed deal with UMG in 2018). I think if we are looking at GOATS HEAD SOUP re-issue last year - and Macca's latest album - one cannot help but being a bit cynical seeing how desperate the record companies are in trying to use their old milk cows as long as there still are people - we old school fans of theirs - alive buying stuff and fulfilling our collections. The problem is the very substance in both cases - the new music by the Stones or Macca - is not that worthy any longer in its own terms. It is the package it is served that makes the money. I am sure that for The Stones and Macca that is alright - they do their part of the deal and get good money.

So in a way I interpret Mick's new manouvre like taking a holiday of all that and just focusing on music with just the wish that 'it will be nice if people just listen what I do'. No need to use your credit card or anything - just click the thing and listen. Mick's vanity - like I guess any performer's - is probably satisfied by reaching an audience as big as possible - even by the cost of some direct money. He has 'afford' to it as his milk cow resides in somewhere else. I think altogether Mick has welcomed the online platforms as a means to spread new music - this 'digital turn' has been the trend since "Gotta Get A Grip". That's the way to make music familiar - something seemingly doesn't work any longer if just left to the shoulders of (decreasing) old fan base still buying physical copies. If and when The Stones tour again everyone in audience will know "Living In A Ghost Town" - and not treat it as an excuse to visit toilet.

I guess the option for someone like Mick Jagger (with a catalogue like monster and unbeatable by any means and who loves people to enjoy in concerts) nowadays is between 'release an old school album and make good money and keep record company happy but expect most of the music go unnoticed and all soon forgotten and you will bore people to death if you try to play it live' or 'release an individual number occasionally online - since it is easily reachable and since that's all there is, they put all their attention to it, get familiar with it, and thereby it will not shock them if played live - but you need to forget the big money'.

There surely are some holes in my logic and who knows what else, but - with Mick Jagger voice in "England Lost" - that's what I thought...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 19:36 by Doxa.

Date: April 15, 2021 17:02

Wouldn't surprise me if this track turns up as the only track on an expensive vinyl release soon, though.

With Gotta Get A Grip / England Lost in mind, especially the horrific price they charged for it, anything else will baffle me.

Yes, it's Mick we're talking about grinning smiley

With that said, I'll buy it and play it loud, like always, hehe.

Btw, I've listened a lot to this track, and I like it. I think there's more to this tune than that of Doom And Gloom. It stands on its own, without flashy production techniques. Doom And Gloom needed the Bhasker-remix to make it swing, imo.

The chorus on Eazy, Sleazy is more melodic, and I really, really like the punk-ish, almost Michael Monroe-esque, sentences/phrases in the verses (..."lobotomising me"). Suits Mick well, like we heard on the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue-albums.

Good stuff thumbs up

Date: April 15, 2021 17:03

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

...not bad our eclectic Mick!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 17:07 by KRiffhard.

Date: April 15, 2021 17:16

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 15, 2021 17:25

Sighunt
From my perspective, I think it is great that this almost 78 year old man is still out there producing music. No, it isn't "You Cant Always Get What You Want" as one other poster observed, but there will be a time (sooner rather than later), when Stones fans are crying in their beer, wishing Mick Jagger (and/or the Stones) were still around....

Mick doesn't seem like a man who's on his deathbed to me

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 15, 2021 17:35

Hey, "shiny happy fans" who were complaining about (but not only) not being able to buy ES, here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is and good news it's for charity too, nothing that will line-up Mick's pocket or let him by a new "prison" ! Good luck !

[niftygateway.com]

[dctjpv2dbdrsi.cloudfront.net]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 17:37 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 15, 2021 17:40

NilsHolgersson
Sighunt
From my perspective, I think it is great that this almost 78 year old man is still out there producing music. No, it isn't "You Cant Always Get What You Want" as one other poster observed, but there will be a time (sooner rather than later), when Stones fans are crying in their beer, wishing Mick Jagger (and/or the Stones) were still around....

Mick doesn't seem like a man who's on his deathbed to me

I cant believe I have to interpret my own f'ing posts. The point of the matter is, WE as Stones fans should be happy that Mick Jagger is still out there producing music. There is gonna come a time when this man will not be around. Yes, his current endeavor with Dave Grohl does not resemble music from the classic period (take your pick, mine is 68-72), but how could it be? Let's continue to enjoy the ride (and journey) of the greatest front man in rock and roll music! Everything he and the Stones have given us up to this point has been a bonus...

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 15, 2021 17:45

gotdablouse
Hey, "shiny happy fans" who were complaining about (but not only) not being able to buy ES, here's your chance to put your money where your mouth is and good news it's for charity too, nothing that will line-up Mick's pocket or let him by a new "prison" ! Good luck !

[niftygateway.com]

I don't know, I feel too old to buy digital art.. what am I gonna do with a GIF-file..

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: April 15, 2021 18:01

From The London Times (linked by Hairball) :

Sometimes the rhyming god abandons old Rubber Lips, such as when he pairs “easy” and “cheesy” with “please please me”, ......

Does the writer from The London Times take this a s a serious rhyme and not get the jokingly hint at the Beatles song?

If really so he can't apply for a job as a Paperback Writer ....

Resotele

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 15, 2021 18:13

NilsHolgersson
gotdablouse

[niftygateway.com]

I don't know, I feel too old to buy digital art.. what am I gonna do with a GIF-file..

Perhaps Mick's hoping the sale price will meet the $69 million fetched by Beeple's NFT. Nice for the charity, if so!

Posted by: FancyBluesMan ()
Date: April 15, 2021 18:28

Just because Mick is remaining active and recording/putting out crap like 'Eazy Sleazy' doesn't immunize him from the criticism being hurled in his direction by those who find this latest 'effort' a bore. Would you be lavishing him with praise if he were to release a collection of children's songs while the Stones continue to remain dormant, simply because "he's almost 80 years old and won't be around forever"?

"Ooh, 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star', 'The Eencie Weencie Spider', 'London Bridge is Falling Down'. Hey Mick, thanks so much for making my day. It may not sound like the Stones, but I'm SO thankful you've given us something to listen to". Spare me.

I'm fully aware that Mick is free to do whatever he pleases at this stage of the game but I'm sorry, I want the genuine article...Keith's Open G riffs, Ronnie's fills, Charlie's metronomic drumming (sorry Daryl...you just don't move me anymore)...and will accept nothing less. No more solo stuff, no more collaborations, no more 'I'm bored, trapped in my villa and this is the best I can offer you'. Stop dangling the carrot and get back to doing what you do best!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 24

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1152
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home