Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: After the Stones, my go to band or singer is ...................
Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: April 13, 2021 10:38

Lady Jayne
Bowie.

I also have a deplorable fondness for 70's disco and Abba.

Well good for you! My answer is:

Singer - Bowie

Band - Pet Shop Boys

Posted by: walkingthedog ()
Date: April 13, 2021 12:38

Genesis/Peter Gabriel
Van der Graaf Generator

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 13, 2021 12:52

Neil Young
Bob Dylan
Ian Dury

Then, not in any particular order....

Lee Perry
The KLF
Love and rockets
Humble Pie
Roger Waters
Peter Tosh
The Doors

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-13 13:03 by EddieByword.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: April 14, 2021 06:00

DGA35
sf37
The Beatles
The Who
The Eagles
CCR
Steve Miller Band
The Doors
The Kinks
Blue Rodeo
David Bowie
Fleetwood Mac
Genesis
Supertramp

Nice list, surprised to see Blue Rodeo! Are you from Canada? If not, how did you discover them?

Thanks DGA35 - - yes, I am Canadian. Saw Blue Rodeo in concert for the first time way back in 1989 and have followed them closely ever since. Great to “chill out” to!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 14, 2021 07:33

sf37
DGA35
sf37
The Beatles
The Who
The Eagles
CCR
Steve Miller Band
The Doors
The Kinks
Blue Rodeo
David Bowie
Fleetwood Mac
Genesis
Supertramp

Nice list, surprised to see Blue Rodeo! Are you from Canada? If not, how did you discover them?

Thanks DGA35 - - yes, I am Canadian. Saw Blue Rodeo in concert for the first time way back in 1989 and have followed them closely ever since. Great to “chill out” to!

Ah...then no Tragically Hip? Quite right...that makes you so Canadian.

Or Loverboy, Streetheart, Trooper, Headpins, Rush, BTO, Guess Who, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, KD Lang, Sarah MacLachlan, Shania Twain, Bruce Cockburn, Tal Bachman, Tom Cochrane, Rufus Wainright, THE FREAKING BAND, Jeff Healy, Oscar Peterson, Guy Lombardo, Alanis Morrisette, Alana Myles, Elvis Costello's wife, what's her name, oh what's her name? Right, DIANA KRALL, PAUL Mutha F*ckin' ANKA, Cory Hart, Drake, The Weeknd, Arcade Fire, JONI MITCHELL, Bryan Adams, KD Lang, Michael Buble, Robbie Robertson.

Right, quite right...Blue Rodeo. You're totally Canadian then.

At least you didn't say Justin Bieber...there's hope!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 14, 2021 07:58

treaclefingers
sf37
DGA35
sf37
The Beatles
The Who
The Eagles
CCR
Steve Miller Band
The Doors
The Kinks
Blue Rodeo
David Bowie
Fleetwood Mac
Genesis
Supertramp

Or Loverboy, Streetheart, Trooper, Headpins, Rush, BTO, Guess Who, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murray, KD Lang, Sarah MacLachlan, Shania Twain, Bruce Cockburn, Tal Bachman, Tom Cochrane, Rufus Wainright, THE FREAKING BAND, Jeff Healy, Oscar Peterson, Guy Lombardo, Alanis Morrisette, Alana Myles, Elvis Costello's wife, what's her name, oh what's her name? Right, DIANA KRALL, PAUL Mutha F*ckin' ANKA, Cory Hart, Drake, The Weeknd, Arcade Fire, JONI MITCHELL, Bryan Adams, KD Lang, Michael Buble, Robbie Robertson.

You can also throw in Prism, Triumph, Pat Travers, Kim Mitchell, Frank Marino, Colin James and.....Nickelback

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 14, 2021 07:59

I think my top five favorites after the Stones would have to be (in alphabetical order):

Beastie Boys
The Go! Team
Paul McCartney
The Monkees
Ramones

I also like

ABBA
AC/DC
Beck (Before Sea Change)
John Carpenter
Bobby Darin
Bob Dylan
Janis Joplin
Louis Jordan
Kiss
Lil Nas X
Tom Petty
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sofi Tukker
Van Halen (with David Lee Roth)
Jack White

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: April 14, 2021 09:33

Based on the wording of the question, I think we were only supposed to name one band or singer, but I agree that isn’t easy as most of us have a number of artists tied for second place. But I will pick just one: Neil Young.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2021 11:56

listen to a stacks of other artists
but NO one touches Stones for sexuality ....even LD knows that

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 14, 2021 14:14

Oasis, Bob Dylan and The Who.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 14, 2021 15:43

treaclefingers
sf37
DGA35
sf37
The Beatles
The Who
The Eagles
CCR
Steve Miller Band
The Doors
The Kinks
Blue Rodeo
David Bowie
Fleetwood Mac
Genesis
Supertramp

With a list like that, y’all still missed The Northern Pikes! And ya call yerselves Canucks! (SMH) grinning smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 14, 2021 19:29

Rockman
listen to a stacks of other artists
but NO one touches Stones for sexuality ....even LD knows that

RM: Who is this LD? (Please excuse my ignorance.)

~"Love is Strong"~

Re: OT: Favorite act after the Stones
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 14, 2021 20:12

Hey STG, I realized I missed The Pikes after I posted! Kiss Me You Fool is an awesome song, with both John Sebastian and Garth Hudson playing on it. I think my favourite Pikes song is Twister off the album Neptune. I remember when it came out CFOX in Vancouver used to play it regularly.

Date: April 14, 2021 20:50

SomeTorontoGirl
treaclefingers
sf37
DGA35
sf37
The Beatles
The Who
The Eagles
CCR
Steve Miller Band
The Doors
The Kinks
Blue Rodeo
David Bowie
Fleetwood Mac
Genesis
Supertramp

With a list like that, y’all still missed The Northern Pikes! And ya call yerselves Canucks! (SMH) grinning smiley

You know, in retrospect I was setting myself up big time!

Buffy St. Marie, Rough Trade, Dan Hill, Powder Blues, Doug and the Slugs, Red Rider, Paul Shaffer...CELINE DION!

Date: April 14, 2021 22:15

DGA35, I thought that was Garth Hudson...thanks!

Treacle, I was just flipping through Photos for something and saw my pics of Carole Pope 5 years ago when Rough Trade reunited (with Kevin Hearn from BNL on keyboards) at the Phoenix ... they’ve still got it! And yes, an embarrassment of riches here in terms of musical talent. Now, we just have to beat a virus into submission and get back to that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 14, 2021 23:10

..... me on a greased tightrope 50 floors up ...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 15, 2021 05:34

SomeTorontoGirl
DGA35, I thought that was Garth Hudson...thanks!

Treacle, I was just flipping through Photos for something and saw my pics of Carole Pope 5 years ago when Rough Trade reunited (with Kevin Hearn from BNL on keyboards) at the Phoenix ... they’ve still got it! And yes, an embarrassment of riches here in terms of musical talent. Now, we just have to beat a virus into submission and get back to that.

Ah, Rough Trade, what a great act back in the day - - they were my 80's escape (along with M+M and Bruce Cockburn, among others)! Nice to hear they successfully reunited!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: April 15, 2021 10:30

treaclefingers
[

Well, we know Gene Simmons wrote 'God of Thunder' as a tribute to Paul Anka so he's somebody's go to singer I suppose but most of those other artists are rather minor compared to the legendary Crash Test Dummies, Platinum Blonde, The Pursuit of Happiness, April Wine and The Payolas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-15 10:32 by Swayed1967.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 15, 2021 11:38

Dylan

ZZ Top

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 15, 2021 11:45

The Black Crowes

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: April 15, 2021 17:54

Pink Floyd

Date: April 15, 2021 19:36

sf37
Ah, Rough Trade, what a great act back in the day - - they were my 80's escape (along with M+M and Bruce Cockburn, among others)! Nice to hear they successfully reunited!

You like Blue Rodeo, sf37? Here you go...better than nothing during these times...

Last time I saw Blue Rodeo, this happened...likely Gord’s last time on a stage:

And you said you like Rough Trade. Here’s Carole from 5 years ago...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 15, 2021 19:55

Cracks me up people cite Lee Perry. Great producer at one time, now a babbling bullshit artist, relying on shock value instead of any real talent. Last few times I was in his area I left early because could not take the babbling any longer, although the last time his backing outfit, basically a dj spinning reggae remixes, was pretty good.

Rainford from On U Sound at least had a couple tracks I could listen to but cannot say that for much he has released since the Time X De Devil Dead set also on On U Sound label and produced by Adrian Sherwood. Everything else has been unlistenable to me and I find it all a great example of ruining your legacy, careful Stones, don't let it happen to you!

I recall his "return" to the live stage back in the early 90s, two shows in SF that were supposed to be exclusives but they were so great he evidently decided to take it on the road and it was all downhill from there including a performance at our festival (SNWMF California) where he spent most of his time assuring the audience that his cock was still erect at 70 years old and more information you really don't want to know. A long ways from producing early classics by Marley and other reggae greats like the Congos.

jb

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 15, 2021 20:04

My favourite act is SuperHeavy and then the Stones

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: April 15, 2021 23:16

The Band

Date: April 15, 2021 23:39

NilsHolgersson
My favourite act is SuperHeavy and then the Stones

LOL. I actually did like SH.

Date: April 16, 2021 06:00

SomeTorontoGirl
sf37

You like Blue Rodeo, sf37? Here you go...better than nothing during these times...

Awesome pics, SomeTorontoGirl, and thanks for the Blue Rodeo update regarding the upcoming May performance - - definitely looking forward to that one! Truly a shame about Downie. I was never much into the Hip's music but nice to see he was active to the end.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-16 06:08 by sf37.

Date: April 17, 2021 03:24

sf37
SomeTorontoGirl
sf37

Awesome pics, SomeTorontoGirl, and thanks for the Blue Rodeo update regarding the upcoming May performance - - definitely looking forward to that one! Truly a shame about Downie. I was never much into the Hip's music but nice to see he was active to the end.....

Carol Pope doesn't look like she's changed at all since "High School Confidential". That was over 40 years ago!

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: April 17, 2021 23:14

Interesting thread.

From what I heard or saw on stage during the last 40 years :

Iggy Pop (1988)
Nick Cave (1994)
David Bowie (1983 and 2002 and 2003)
The Pogues (1986 and 1988)
Mano Negra (french group with their heydays from 1989 to 1991)
The Cramps (1986)
Stevie Ray Vaughan (1988)
The Lords of the New Church (1984)
Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers (1984)
Neil Young (2016)
Ray Charles (1985 or 1986)
Eric Clapton (1983 and 2010)
Bruce Springsteen (2012)

All of them in Paris, my hometown

Those were the days my friends

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-17 23:19 by cimaz.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home