Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Planned 1976 North America tour
Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: April 10, 2021 20:42

Anyone else ever heard of this? It looks like the Stones were planning to return to North America right after the 1976 European tour got finished. What surprised me was that some dates had been penciled in.

Planned venues:

Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh
Olympic Stadium or The Forum, Montreal

various stadiums and arenas in:
-New York
-Philadelphia
-Oakland
-Los Angeles
-Atlanta
-Chicago (Comiskey Park)
-Detroit

sources

[www.rollingstone.com]

[therollingstones19751978.blogspot.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-22 15:32 by stevecardi.

Re: Planned 1976 North America tour
Posted by: rbk ()
Date: April 10, 2021 22:12

Likely some tax dodge Jagger had planned.

What DIDN'T happen in 1975 was the South American dates that were supposed to follow the US run. Supposedly security and currency fluctuations were the reasoning but rumors at the time had it that the four dates were added to generate the necessary cash to cover the budget of Fordyce, AK for the next two decades. Again rumors at the time but what was allegedly found in Keith's rental car was a quite a bit more than just two grams of coke and a hunting knife.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 10, 2021 22:34

rbk

What DIDN'T happen in 1975 was the South American dates that were supposed to follow the US run. Supposedly security and currency fluctuations were the reasoning but rumors at the time had it that the four dates were added to generate the necessary cash to cover the budget of Fordyce, AK for the next two decades. Again rumors at the time but what was allegedly found in Keith's rental car was a quite a bit more than just two grams of coke and a hunting knife.

Never heard that before, but not surprised. Even the police in Fordyce in 1975 couldn't have been that stupid/blind.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: April 10, 2021 23:52

rbk

For a quick second I thought I had missed an Alaskan show, which I knew was impossible because I've been going thru whatever channels I can for years to push for AK.. But since I hadn't realized the RHCP had come to AK until I told Anthony they should come up and he replied "We already have" there was chance I'd missed some super-secret AK Stones gig

Posted by: longlongwinter ()
Date: April 11, 2021 00:19

I think the book "On the road with the Rolling Stones" by Chet Flippo talked about it

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: April 11, 2021 00:19

rbk

Uh, so the four dates, Mexico city, Rio, etc were supposed to generate cash so that they could pay Fordyce police off? Of course those dates didn't happen. So what did happen? They found the money elsewhere? Or the story was as solid as the story about Keith's blood change?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 11, 2021 04:46

Wasn’t Wood scheduled to do a Faces tour at the time of the South American portion of the 1975 Tour of the Americas.Sobrhey would have needed a replacement for him, although Mick Taylor was available and probably would have rejoined

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: April 11, 2021 04:59

Taylor1
Wasn’t Wood scheduled to do a Faces tour at the time of the South American portion of the 1975 Tour of the Americas.Sobrhey would have needed a replacement for him, although Mick Taylor was available and probably would have rejoined

Yep, the Faces did a US tour the fall of '75.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 11, 2021 10:37

I'm getting confused ... the thread talks about a possibly planned USA mini tour in 1976. What have tours of anyone in 1975 to do with it? Ronnie was in Europe in 1976 as an official member of the Rolling Stones as of April 23 of that year, so would have been available for any additional tour in 1976.
confused smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 11, 2021 11:03

rbk

??? How would that be possible? I got the original 1975 TOTA programme which includes the SA dates. It was printed before Keith decided to drive through Texarkana ne-c'est pas??confused smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 11, 2021 11:21

rbk

What DIDN'T happen in 1975 was the South American dates that were supposed to follow the US run.

The true story behind the cancelation is Freddie Sessler talked Keith out of playing Colombia (snif!) and Venezuela (snif!) as he didn't want to compete with local "providers".
Fred : "Hey I didn't want to lose my job!"

(nah just kidding we'll never know why they didn't play there. Maybe Prince Rupert warned Mick about the exchance rate between the Dollar and local currencies.
"Mick my dear... do you really want to play there for peanuts? I mean literally for peanuts?"

Date: April 11, 2021 12:56

In1975,the tour of South America I believe was cancelled because Wood had committed to a tour with Rod Stewart and the Faces .It began on August 1 so there was no time for Wood to tour with the Stones.Had he only been a temporary guitarist by the end of the US 1975 tour, they could have toured South America with another guitarist like Wayne Perkins or even Mick Taylor.But by that time they must have decided Wood was a permanent member.Or maybe I’m wrong and Jagger was worried about the profitability of a South American tour.Either way, it doesn’t look like Wood was going to cancel his Faces tour

Date: April 11, 2021 13:25

Mick Taylor "being available" in 1975 is nothing more than a fabel ...

Date: April 11, 2021 13:35

georgie48
. Well, he was available on August1, 1975,when theStones Tour of America ended because the Jack Bruce/Bleh band had broken up. Whether he and the Stones were willing to have him rejoin is another question.If the Stones really wanted him back they would have asked him to rejoin.It’s interesting that Taylor never joined another band after he quit the Stones unless you include the Dylan project

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: April 11, 2021 15:50

I remember stopping at Ticketron (blast from the past) to get tix for a show and spotted there was a Stones show listed for Chicago's Comiskey Park. When I asked about it, however, was told tix were not on sale yet (or ever as it turned out).

Date: April 11, 2021 18:08

Taylor1
georgie48
. Well, he was available on August1, 1975,when theStones Tour of America ended because the Jack Bruce/Bleh band had broken up. Whether he and the Stones were willing to have him rejoin is another question.If the Stones really wanted him back they would have asked him to rejoin.It’s interesting that Taylor never joined another band after he quit the Stones unless you include the Dylan project

Don't underestimate emotions ... when Keith is truly p*ssed off ... forget it. No chance for Mick Jagger to invite Mick Taylor. Besides, I had the opportunity to speak to Mick Taylor several times, Mick Taylor would not have accepted an invitation at that time. When I spoke to him in 2001 he was willing to play with the Stones again if invited. Well, we all know he did in 2012 (!)), 2013 and 2014. Keith had shown/opened his big heart.
I remember, while in Boston before a concert, Mick had invited lots of pretty girls to perform a dance on stage. But after the rehearsals, when I (we) spoke to some of them, they already knew they were not going to dance during the concert the next day ... because Keith thought nothing of the idea.
Charlie was not amused after a first concert (I think it was Chicago) having to face huge tits of an inflated doll. The next concert the doll was gone ....
If one member of the Stones is 100% against, it's not going to happen.
Emotions ...
smileys with beer

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 11, 2021 21:01

South America in the '70s would have been a chaotic, dangerous place to tour, especially for the minders who had to watch Keith.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 13, 2021 05:51

Taylor1
georgie48

Taylor was out. Talking like he was "available" is just fake news.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 13, 2021 12:58

The 1975 South America 1975 tour was cancelled for financial (currency fluctuations, insurance policies) and security reasons. Nothing else.

Mathijs

Date: April 22, 2021 15:31

roryg
I remember stopping at Ticketron (blast from the past) to get tix for a show and spotted there was a Stones show listed for Chicago's Comiskey Park. When I asked about it, however, was told tix were not on sale yet (or ever as it turned out).

Noted. Thanks!

Date: April 22, 2021 15:35

Fordyce had nothing to do with the South American dates: the Stones announced on July 2nd that the South American leg of the tour would be cancelled due to several reasons (including security and currency problems). Keith and Ron's Fordyce adventure happened on July 5th: four days later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-22 16:06 by stevecardi.

Date: April 22, 2021 15:50

longlongwinter
I think the book "On the road with the Rolling Stones" by Chet Flippo talked about it

Indeed, Longlongwinter: here it is on pp 10, 11, 18-19, and 39 in Flippo's On The Road with the Rolling Stones. Apparently, with all the visa problems the Stones were having at the time to get into the U.S. (Altamont, drugs, riots and violence in general at their concerts, all the rumors and reports of backstage debauchery during the 1972 tour, harassment by the Nixon Administration in 1972 and all the Nixon appointments to the State Department that sympathized with Nixon's policies and politics who kept their jobs as bureaucrats after the former had resigned), Mick wanted to makes sure the 1975 tour would include South American dates on the 1975 tour because it somehow would have helped the band, politically, to get into the U.S. Flippo also wrote that was the whole reason for the Mexico, Brazil and Venezuela dates to begin with; that the Stones didn't take them seriously right from the start. That latter part might be debatable. Keith makes it clear to Flippo on pages 39 and 124-125 that he was doing everything in his power to get the Stones to play in what was then untapped markets: South America, Africa, Eastern Europe, the USSR etc etc.

So there's a part of me that thinks Mick was indeed serious about trying to get to South America in 1975, had security and currency been more stable for them.

Date: April 22, 2021 15:57

Taylor1
In1975,the tour of South America I believe was cancelled because Wood had committed to a tour with Rod Stewart and the Faces .It began on August 1 so there was no time for Wood to tour with the Stones.Had he only been a temporary guitarist by the end of the US 1975 tour, they could have toured South America with another guitarist like Wayne Perkins or even Mick Taylor.But by that time they must have decided Wood was a permanent member.Or maybe I’m wrong and Jagger was worried about the profitability of a South American tour.Either way, it doesn’t look like Wood was going to cancel his Faces tour

Actually, the Stones made it clear in the press releases following the Flatbed Truck Performance on 5th Avenue that Ronnie would be leaving the Stones to right after the North American leg was over (after Jacksonville) in order to join the Faces, who would just be starting their U.S. tour. It was not clear at that time who would be playing with the Stones as second guitarist when they went to South America.

Ironically, when the Stones announced on July 23rd that they were extended the 1975 tour to play Louisville, Hampton and Orchard Park (Buffalo), the Faces had to cancel three shows in West Palm Beach FL, because Ronnie chose to remain with the Stones for those final three performances.

Date: April 22, 2021 16:05

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Really appreciated it.

In the end, it looks like two factors ended any plans for the Stones to come back to the U.S. and Canada in 1976: (1) Keith's Aylesbury arrest for DUI and possession of coke and LSD following the Stafford UK gig, which would have caused problems with getting a Keith a visa to come into the U.S. And then, far more likely, there was (2) Tara's tragic death.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1885
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home