Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Livin' On Tulsa Time
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 10, 2021 18:40

For moi, an interesting little read. I remember when I was stationed in Oklahoma in the late 1960s at Tinker AFB near Oklahoma City, that Tulsa was considered, regarding Oklahoma, as their San Francisco. The Oklahoma City folks I got to know thought Tulsa was a little too liberal and snobby regarding the rest of the state. Back then, the big money there was the oil companies working/headquartered out of the Tulsa area or so I was led to believe. For a boy from that other America, the East coast, how was I to know whether I was being told true or not. Oklahoma was an education regarding my country, just as being stationed in the Middle East for 18 months, prior to reassignment to Oklahoma, had been regarding the world beyond the United States. But, I digress. I look forward to visiting Tulsa, when and if it is safe to go visiting again anywhere, anytime soon, and seeing the Guthrie and Dylan stuff, along with Leon's recording location.

[www.afar.com]

Re: OT: Livin' On Tulsa Time
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 10, 2021 23:44

Tulsa is an amazing little city, where I spent many happy times pre-Covid, especially at Cain's Ballroom. The Guthrie Center is worth a visit just in itself. Plus you can now visit the house where they filmed The Outsiders!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 11, 2021 01:47

I visited Tulsa for a few days in 1970 when I was a small kid as part of a four week family summer road trip in our station wagon as my Great Uncle lived out here...good old Uncle Al.
Being only six or seven at the time, dont remember much of Tulsa other than it being really hot, some great BBQ's, and also visiting the Will Rogers Museum located just outside of Tulsa.
Next stop was up to the very small town of Highland,Kansas where my dad grew up, and to visit my Great Grandmother who still lived there - lots of corn fields and wild hemp growing everywhere...
From California to Kansas and back in a giant loop covering 10 states, stuffed in the back of a station wagon with my older brother and sister and all the luggage, mom and dad up front, and plenty of stops along the way..
Many of the major National Parks, scenic spots, and landmarks including the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyon in Utah, Carslbad Caverns in New Mexico, and many more...it was one one of those trips of a lifetime...
Funny how just seeing the word Tulsa can spark so many memories...and now Tulsa Time is stuck in my head...[www.youtube.com]

I left Oklahoma, drivin' in a Pontiac
Just about to lose my mind
I was goin' to Arizona
Maybe on to California
Where the people all live so fine...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-11 01:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: April 11, 2021 02:21

The full video of J J Cale, To Tulsa and Back is on youtube.

Thanks for posting the article. I lived in Edmond from 85 to 90 and enjoyed Tulsa many times.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 12, 2021 13:48

I visited Tulsa several times and enjoyed myself there . Great barbecue . Nice laid back lifestyle .Very tolerant folks to this Yankee . I was called that the first night I visited in 1991 and my jaw nearly hit the floor . Lots of great hospitality and pretty ladies as well !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 12, 2021 15:15

In regard to Tulsa, we should never forget Hal "Cornbread" Singer (1919-2020), a great jazz bandleader and a saxophonist, born in Greenwood District and a survivor of Tulsa race massacre, and, of course, a member of Stu's Rocket 88, as we can hear him playing tenor sax in their 1981 self titled live album.

- Doxa

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 12, 2021 15:38

"I can never get enough....of OHHH-klahoma!"

[www.youtube.com]

Keb's cool.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 12, 2021 17:15

Keb Mo is a very overlooked bluesman and all around singer/performer. Saw him some years ago in Baltimore along with Charlie Musselwhite and, if I remember right, the late Doctor John on the same bill.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: April 12, 2021 19:42

dmay
Keb Mo is a very overlooked bluesman and all around singer/performer. Saw him some years ago in Baltimore along with Charlie Musselwhite and, if I remember right, the late Doctor John on the same bill.

Yup!

His latest ("Oklahoma") is excellent.

He's always been worth the price of admission and then some, IMO.....great music, great talent + very personable interactions w/ the crowd....hung around for autographs and pictures afterward.

seems like a good dude.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1535
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home