Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Rest in Peace, Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 13, 2021 14:36

Taylor1
It was combat officers like Prince Phillip who saved England from a Nazi victory.If the Nazis had won the war perhaps there would have been no Rolling Stones

Arguably true.

There is though considerably irony as the Prince had four older sisters, three of whom were definitely closely associated with the Nazi Party.

If you don't believe that, Google it for yourself.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 13, 2021 14:41

CaptainCorella
Taylor1
It was combat officers like Prince Phillip who saved England from a Nazi victory.If the Nazis had won the war perhaps there would have been no Rolling Stones

Arguably true.

There is though considerably irony as the Prince had four older sisters, three of whom were definitely closely associated with the Nazi Party.

I don't disbelieve that at all. It wouldn't have a baring on my view of the late Duke of Edinburgh, though. Families are often divided during conflict. You cited the American Revolutionary War earlier in this thread: families were split during that time, with some fighting for freedom; other members loyal to the Crown.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 13, 2021 16:09

Big Al
CaptainCorella
Taylor1

Arguably true.

I don't disbelieve that at all. It wouldn't have a baring on my view of the late Duke of Edinburgh, though. Families are often divided during conflict. You cited the American Revolutionary War earlier in this thread: families were split during that time, with some fighting for freedom; other members loyal to the Crown.
According to an article in the New York Post, a couple of his sisters were married to Germans either in the Nazi party or associated with them.Queen Elizabeth and Phillip are mostly of German not English descent.Elizabeth has very little English in her

Date: April 13, 2021 17:46

Taylor1

According to an article in the New York Post, a couple of his sisters were married to Germans either in the Nazi party or associated with them.Queen Elizabeth and Phillip are mostly of German not English descent.Elizabeth has very little English in her[/quote]

Well, this is all very well documented. I'd wager your average Brit isn't aware, though!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 13, 2021 18:09

Well, all royals (male) undergo some military training before entering their position in the monarchy. Usually a cadet training. The duke swiftly moved from Lieutenant to Field Marshal
(and Captain General, Admiral and Marshal) when he became a prince. On his 90th birthday he even became Lord High Admiral. Add to that hundreds of other appointments and honors.

His actual duty was to be the Queen's husband. That is what he did. That was his duty. And that was what the Brits admired him for.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 13, 2021 18:25

Some author claimed that the real reason Edward the seventh, Elizabeth's uncle abdicated was not because the Church of England and Royal family would not approve his marriage to the divorced womam, LadySimpson, but rather that Edward was secretely a homosexual and was subject to blackmailby internal and external enemies,especially the Nazis.England in those days would not accept a homosexual king. In fact it was a crime to engage in homosexual sex acts. So they cooked up this excuse with Simpson.

Date: April 13, 2021 18:58

What kind of gossip magazines are you reading, Taylor 1? Please name your sources for these speculations.

Date: April 14, 2021 00:26

Big Al
Taylor1

According to an article in the New York Post, a couple of his sisters were married to Germans either in the Nazi party or associated with them.Queen Elizabeth and Phillip are mostly of German not English descent.Elizabeth has very little English in her

Well, this is all very well documented. I'd wager your average Brit isn't aware, though! [/quote]

Indeed.

I'll add that I was 100% unaware of the disabled sisters of depicted in one of the recent episodes of The Crown. It really surprised me, and I checked it out and it was basically true.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 17, 2021 04:30

London (UK), 10-Apr-2021 - a billboard in Picadilly Circus displays a remembrance tribute to Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 17, 2021 09:34

I remember watching a documentary I believe on CBC in Canada about Prince Philip and how his uncle Louis Mountbatten set Philip up with Elizabeth. His hope was that they would marry and that the House of Mountbatten would rule Britain, so he was disappointed that it became the House of Windsor.
Also, how most European royal families are all inter related. WW2 the royal families of Britain, Germany and Russia were all cousins. I remember when in Russia they thought they discovered the remains of the Romanov's so they got DNA from Prince Charles to compare with the remains since he was related to Czar Nicholas 2.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 17, 2021 11:08

Rest in Peace, Prince Philip.
Please respect his memory.
If you want to discuss history or politics, please take it to other places.

Bjornulf

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 17, 2021 17:46

R.I.P.
Prince Philip

Stream Funeral Live:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 17, 2021 18:37

It was a beautiful ceremony.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 17, 2021 18:46

An immediate historic iconic image.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 18, 2021 17:59

I honestly don't know why she is totally on her own, unless it was her wish.

She had her lady in waiting next to her in the car and I thought the whole of the occasion was very well done,and very touching throughout.

A real credit to the Duke,the Royal Family and the whole nation.thumbs up

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 18, 2021 21:49

That image is pretty heart-breaking. I don't understand either and, for want of any better explanation, I drew the same conclusion as you, i.e., that maybe that's how she wanted it.

That said, I think that photo may have been taken before the rest of the family arrived, but even then she was 2 metres apart from the person nearest to her. Whoever it was, it wasn't one of her children as far as I could tell.

The whole thing was very meticulously planned and executed. We are told that Prince Philip had quite a hand in the planning and even came up with the idea of a false tower for the official photographer so that he could click away without being seen!

There were some nice touches, like his hat and gloves on his carriage, and the singing in the chapel by the woman especially was so beautiful.

The Queen will be 95 in a few days, on Wednesday. I doubt she'll feel much like celebrating. I'm no royalist but I can't help feeling sorry for her.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 18, 2021 22:21

Beast
That image is pretty heart-breaking. I don't understand either and, for want of any better explanation, I drew the same conclusion as you, i.e., that maybe that's how she wanted it.

That said, I think that photo may have been taken before the rest of the family arrived, but even then she was 2 metres apart from the person nearest to her. Whoever it was, it wasn't one of her children as far as I could tell.

The whole thing was very meticulously planned and executed. We are told that Prince Philip had quite a hand in the planning and even came up with the idea of a false tower for the official photographer so that he could click away without being seen!

There were some nice touches, like his hat and gloves on his carriage, and the singing in the chapel by the woman especially was so beautiful.

The Queen will be 95 in a few days, on Wednesday. I doubt she'll feel much like celebrating. I'm no royalist but I can't help feeling sorry for her.

It must have been her wishes, a moving image at any time, but with mask and the pandemic aspect, it's quite stunning.
Seems the Prince was quite involved in the planning indeed, like the stories of him overseeing and helping with the design of his hearse..

Prince Philip’s Land Rover: How the Duke helped design the Defender hearse that will carry him to his funeral
Prince Philip helped design the vehicle – believed to be a modified Defender 130 Gun Bus – himself.

The Duke’s project to custom build his own Land Rover hearse spanned 16 years, with Philip requesting a repaint in military green, and designing the open top rear and special “stops” to secure his coffin in place.

He made the final adjustments in 2019, the year he turned 98.

The Defender was made at Land Rover’s factory in Solihull in 2003 and Philip oversaw the modifications throughout the intervening years.
[inews.co.uk]

Date: April 18, 2021 23:43

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-19 00:09 by Stoneage.

Date: April 19, 2021 01:57

I'm just posting here as I'm sure the Queen and the Royal Family feel the same way as me and my family feel for our wonderful NHS here in the UK.
My dear Mum will be 95 on May 2nd and I spent almost 5 hours in A and E today as she had two falls in 3 days and paramedics took her to Epsom hospital to thoroughly check her out.

First time I have seen her since March last year and she only lives 15 minutes walk away.
Only one designated visitor,who was my sister , for a weekly half hour visit for maybe the last 4 months on and off.
Only very short falls she had in between her bed and her chair.
The nurses and doctor that were treating her were so nice and one or two said to my dear Mum, ' Your the same age as the Queen and very near her birthday.'
She was back in the Care Home this evening after X rays, CT scan and anything else they thought necessary for her well-being and can't thank our NHS enough.

I'm sure the Queen and her family would feel the same for the care that was given to the Duke.
I really do feel for the Royal Family in these tough times when you lose somebody ,as so many thousands of people of all ages in the UK, and millions now all over the World have lost a loved one.

Date: April 19, 2021 03:13

Glad you got to see your mum finally, crawdaddy, after that interminable wait and that she is being well cared for. All the best to her for her upcoming birthday!

Date: April 19, 2021 03:17

Yes, that Land Rover hearse was quite something - as were the manoeuvres involved in lifting the coffin on and off. If it were me, I would have been petrified of dropping it!

Date: April 19, 2021 05:26

Beast
Yes, that Land Rover hearse was quite something - as were the manoeuvres involved in lifting the coffin on and off. If it were me, I would have been petrified of dropping it!

At Churchill's funeral that very nearly happened coming out of St Pauls.

Not quite shown at [www.youtube.com] (about 7:57) but you see them struggling earlier when taking it in.

I saw none of this on TV as I was in the crowds in Fleet Street. Quite a day.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 19, 2021 14:28

I imagine the guys carrying the coffin must have been rehearsing it for hours in the last week since the Duke passing.
All those steps with a long pause halfway and then more steps to where he was laid to rest.
Certainly a duty that I wouldn't relish if I was a soldier.

Date: April 19, 2021 18:06

The image of the Queen seated alone is incredibly sad.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1501
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home