Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Rest in Peace, Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 10, 2021 11:15

Aquamarine

Both Mick and Keith have issued tributes.

Ronnie too:

[Twitter.com] · [www.Facebook.com] · [www.Instagram.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 10, 2021 12:20

peoplewitheyes
I don't know why the likes of Keith Richards would be sending a tender tribute to this person

Why wouldn't he, though? He may not be a royalist, but Prince Philip was widely liked and admired. Keith sang at Westminster Abbey, too. I'm sure there's a lingering sense of pleasant nostalgia there for Keith.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 10, 2021 13:43

It seems that Harry is jealous that his brother William and not he will be King.So rather than toiling in the background of his brother he married someone who would garner him huge, constant publicity.Had he married some pasty skinned English girl no one would notice.But by being the first member of the royal family to marry a black woman he gained huge worldwide praise and interest.Since Meghan is an American citizen ,I have no doubt the game plan is for her to someday run for US President with Harry as first husband

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-10 13:56 by Taylor1.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 10, 2021 13:59

This is going to sound silly, but I've always associated him with James Bond for some reason. Maybe because the Bond of the Ian Fleming novels was, like Philip, a WWII royal navy veteran, and would have been a contemporary of his, born in 1921. Anyway, whenever I'd see a photo of Philip, I'd always think to myself, "That's how old James Bond is now."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-10 14:01 by tatters.

Date: April 10, 2021 14:06

Taylor1
It seems that Harry is jealous that his brother William and not he will be King.So rather than toiling in the background of his brother he married someone who would garner him huge, constant publicity.Had he married some pasty skinned English girl no one would notice.But by being the first member of the royal family to marry a black woman he gained huge worldwide praise and interest.Since Meghan is an American citizen ,I have no doubt the game plan is for her to someday run for US President with Harry as first husband

I think Harry already had huge, worldwide publicity; and respect. Meghan was surely only known to those who watch Suits on Netflix. The racial-angle is so overblown. Meghan's nationality, coupled with cultural differences and career aspirations, were the real issues, in my opinion. I sense she was largely unaccepting of her place and role in the pecking-order as a royal. There are certain ways and protocols that simply cannot be changed. I find it absurd that some think she wasn’t briefed, but as a Californian native, I do suspect she could never have been prepared. The grounding and breeding simply isn’t there.

Date: April 10, 2021 14:06

tatters
This is going to sound silly, but I've always associated him with James Bond for some reason. Maybe because the Bond of the Ian Fleming novels was, like Philip, a WWII royal navy veteran, and would have been a contemporary of his, born in 1921. Anyway, whenever I'd see a photo of Philip, I'd always think to myself, "That's how old James Bond is now."

You're not alone there, actually! Good point!

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 10, 2021 15:22

Especially in his younger days,he would have been a great James Bond, and could just picture him now as the elder Bond.
He was a very charismatic person, and never a dull moment when he was being interviewed.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: April 10, 2021 21:02

Thanks for the tributes from Mick, Keith, and Ronnie.
Our boys are English after all.

I don't get the sense that Harry was jealous of William.
He's always been somewhat of a rebel and was going to marry
whomever he pleased.

Meghan's following her doc's advise not to travel while pregnant,
and will not accompany Harry to the funeral. They were both
fond of Phillip, from what I gather.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 10, 2021 21:17

I'm not going to write what I really think about this because opinions, unless they are positive, aren't allowed in this thread.
But for @#$%& sake - keep that Meghan gossip nonsense out of this thread...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 10, 2021 22:37

Poor Harry - not the first pu**y whipped man, and won't be the last. She is a cutie, as is Kate. But Pippa is my kinda gal.

Date: April 10, 2021 22:38

Prince Philip was the epitome of class.

Date: April 10, 2021 22:57

[www.youtube.com]

Keith's feelings towards the Royal Family not exactly positive here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-11 11:13 by SonofHarlemShuffler.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 11, 2021 05:25

Irix
Aquamarine

Both Mick and Keith have issued tributes.

[www.instagram.com]

Indeed - [Twitter.com] . Since when is Keith into the Royals? Next knighthood?

Indeed.

It's either utter bollocks put out by a PR idiot, or...

Keef has got caught up in what I can only describe as mild mass hysteria over the death, after a very long and successful life, of a member of an artificially elite group of people. Americans here should remember that you had a Revolution to get rid of the likes of this bloke.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: April 11, 2021 05:33

peoplewitheyes
I don't know why the likes of Keith Richards would be sending a tender tribute to this person

Why not? It's a very human thing to do. It's not like Phillip was a serial killer, now is it?

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 11, 2021 07:55

Well said CaptainCorella

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 11, 2021 12:15

On 4-Apr-2021 there was a Documentary about Mick (the made rebel) in German TV: Mick Jagger - Der gemachte Rebell? - [iorr.org] . Quote:

"12-Dec-2003. Mick is knighted for his services to pop music. A controversial choice for many Britons. Some fans are also disappointed. Keith 'is not amused'. To him, the knighthood is a betrayal of everything the Stones ever stood for. Mick: 'He's like a bawling child who hasn't got an ice cream. I don't think the old establishment really exists anymore.' Formally, Mick is now part of the gentry. But does he really belong?" - [www.ZDF.de] - (Pos. 39:22).

Keith in 2003 to the Uncut Magazine: "I thought it was ludicrous to take one of those gongs from the Establishment ... It's not what the Stones is about, is it?" The guitarist added: "I don't want to step out on stage with someone wearing a f*cking coronet and sporting the old ermine. I told Mick, 'It's a f*cking paltry honour'." - [www.Independent.co.uk] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-11 16:30 by Irix.

Date: April 11, 2021 15:56

Irix
On 4-Apr-2021 there was a Documentary about Mick (the made rebel) in German TV: Mick Jagger - Der gemachte Rebell? - [iorr.org] . Quote:

"12-Dec-2003. Mick is knighted for his services to pop music. A controversial choice for many Britons. Some fans are also disappointed. Keith 'is not amused'. To him, the knighthood is a betrayal of everything the Stones ever stood for. Mick: 'He's like a bawling child who hasn't got an ice cream. I don't think the old establishment really exists anymore.' Formally, Mick is now part of the gentry. But does he really belong?" - [www.ZDF.de] - (Pos. 39:22).

I found Keith’s varying comments to be slightly tongue-in-cheek. If he feels so strongly against it, that’s pathetic, in my opinion. ‘All they stand for’? They’re a corporate entity: a whore to money. Keith doesn’t half tall out of his backside a lot of the time.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: April 11, 2021 17:49

I don't get all the attacks the Stones get for posting their condolence. Also I find it kinda naive that people say it was not Keith who posted it and he would have never posted it. Keith - actually just like the others - might be a bit social media challeneged but there is no way he does not approve of what is posted on his account. No way he would let his verified page being used to express the views he does not approve or share. Also, he was just being a polite British gentleman, you might be not a huge fan of the Royals but as a human, you just feel sympathy for the Queen and late Prince Phillip's family.

Date: April 11, 2021 17:53

Fully agree with you Mariuana. smileys with beer

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: April 11, 2021 18:14

Big Al
Irix

I found Keith’s varying comments to be slightly tongue-in-cheek. If he feels so strongly against it, that’s pathetic, in my opinion. ‘All they stand for’? They’re a corporate entity: a whore to money. Keith doesn’t half tall out of his backside a lot of the time.

I actually agree. He's a multi millionaire after all. Not that he gave away all his money to fight for something he stands for and lives on abandoned island or something. He's part of the circle which is not that big actually. He's among the elites. What he publically says is, partly to keep the fire and controversy going, partly to maintain his image, partly his emotions. Moreover, I find some of Prince Phillip's quotes that was posted here quitely Keith-esque.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 11, 2021 18:39

Mariuana
I don't get all the attacks the Stones get for posting their condolence. Also I find it kinda naive that people say it was not Keith who posted it and he would have never posted it. Keith - actually just like the others - might be a bit social media challeneged but there is no way he does not approve of what is posted on his account. No way he would let his verified page being used to express the views he does not approve or share. Also, he was just being a polite British gentleman, you might be not a huge fan of the Royals but as a human, you just feel sympathy for the Queen and late Prince Phillip's family.

Great post, completely agree with this.

Date: April 11, 2021 18:40

I personally think that Keith and The Duke have got a lot in common and would have got on quite well if they had ever met. thumbs up

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: April 11, 2021 21:04

crawdaddy
I personally think that Keith and The Duke have got a lot in common and would have got on quite well if they had ever met. thumbs up

Agreed. Keith has a part of him that is quite the British stiff-upper lip, stoic person, as was the Duke. And who knows, maybe Keith's mum talked up the Duke back in the day.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 12, 2021 04:18

well i guess now that keith is content in the knowledge that he won't be coming at him with any sharp sticks anymorewinking smiley

and in case anyone thinks i'm being disrespectful keep in mind prince philip probaly would have found that comment amusing

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 12, 2021 08:30

Never will understand the point of Royalty. Especially now. RIP Phillip. I respect your service in the war.

Date: April 12, 2021 08:34

24FPS
Never will understand the point of Royalty. Especially now. RIP Phillip. I respect your service in the war.

A fair and reasoned sentiment, 24FPS. Far more appropriate than an out-and-out attack thumbs up

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: April 12, 2021 10:28

He will be in heaven having a dance with my old neighbour Pat Kirkwood.RIP

Date: April 12, 2021 14:59

Mick and Charlie have also got much in common with The Duke especially with their mutual love of cricket.
I think both of our lads are members of the exclusive Marylebone Cricket Club as was Philip who has also been President and member as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if they have had a few drinks together and a chat in the clubhouse when England v Australia or other big matches have been played.

Date: April 12, 2021 15:02

crawdaddy

Both had to work with a (drama) Queen. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Actually, diva might be a better word for Mick.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: April 13, 2021 03:12

It was combat officers like Prince Phillip who saved England from a Nazi victory.If the Nazis had won the war perhaps there would have been no Rolling Stones

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home