Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - LAMF how it was always meant to sound!
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: April 8, 2021 09:56

For Record Store Day 2 this year there is a new version of LAMF by The Heartbreakers, sounding like it should have done when first released in 1977

I had the honour of writing the sleevenotes - a great opportunity to set the record straight!

More here:

[www.jungle-records.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-08 09:56 by johnnythunders.

Re: OT - LAMF how it was always meant to sound!
Posted by: damnation ()
Date: April 8, 2021 11:35

Hey Johnnythunders (are your initials S W then, like the drummer?)
does that mean this 2021 version is a different remix again from the 2004 and 2015 versions of these tapes ("the lost tapes"), and is that why they are called the 'found tapes'?

cheers!

Date: April 8, 2021 12:49

Correct - this is the original finished version of the LP, properly mastered for the first time and pressed on vinyl with two bonus tracks

This version is the best I have ever heard!

Simon Wright (yes,like the drummer)

Date: April 8, 2021 14:04

Hi Si
Here's what i found:

What I understand from the above and the below is that the 2012 version is only a remix of over 300 mixes? And the one that's about to be released is a copy of the orginal one as intended?

Too bad there is no release on classic black vinyl, like available for the 2012 version.

Mixing the albums sessions made at Essex and Ramport Studios was difficult and several mixes were rejected before "L.A.M.F." was released by Track Records in 1977. This release was widely considered to have a 'muddy' sound of poor quality.

Following it's release, manager Leee Black Childers acquired the tapes and masters associated with "L.A.M.F." from Track records, including thirty-five reels of various mixes. Using these tapes in 1982, Jungle Records had Johnny Thunders and Tony James (Generation X bassist) remix the album. The resulting Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers* - L.A.M.F. Revisited was first released in 1984.

In 1994, Jungle Records executive Alan Hauser had the tapes of alternate mixes reviewed. The 300-plus available mixes were narrowed down to a shortlist of 50, from which "L.A.M.F. The Lost '77 Mixes" was assembled. The first versions of this release were issued in 1994.

In 2003, a remastered CD version added a video for "Chinese Rocks" as well as a second disc that included various demos, outtakes, alternate mixes and B-sides. Those releases, and their variations, comprise this master release.

Finally, in 2012, a 4 CD "Definitive Version" of "L.A.M.F." was first released, featuring the "The Lost '77 Mixes" (Disc 1), a restored original mix of the album (Disc 2), demo sessions (Disc 3) and alternative song mixes (Disc 4). That release is found under the main "L.A.M.F." master release (Heartbreakers* - L.A.M.F.).

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: April 8, 2021 17:53

I think I've got Revisited, Restored, Lost, alternative and cassette mixes already. Does this really sound much different?

Date: April 8, 2021 19:34

yes

Posted by: cimaz ()
Date: April 8, 2021 20:21

I hope they will release it on CD.

Date: June 30, 2021 14:53

My copies of the new LAMF LP arrived this morning, full details and pics here

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: June 30, 2021 16:19

If I can't snag a RSD release, will there be a general release or will it be available on cd or download? Very excited about this and anything Johnny Thunders

Date: June 30, 2021 16:34

DrPete
If I can't snag a RSD release, will there be a general release or will it be available on cd or download? Very excited about this and anything Johnny Thunders

I do hope so - best ask Alan @ Jungle ([email protected])

Date: June 30, 2021 18:18

A CD release is scheduled for october. So was the reply of Jungle Records today.

Date: June 30, 2021 23:02

So how limited is limited? 1500 worldwide is what I heard? Correct?
Looking forward! I do have 2 copies of the original French version, which the text states they sound different just like the cassette tapes. Wonder if there will be much difference.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 1, 2021 04:42

johnnythunders
For Record Store Day 2 this year there is a new version of LAMF by The Heartbreakers, sounding like it should have done when first released in 1977

I had the honour of writing the sleevenotes - a great opportunity to set the record straight!

More here:

[www.jungle-records.net]

Is this anything like the “lost 77 mixes” that came out on vinyl a few years back? That’s the best sounding version I’ve heard. Hands down. I just wish “too much junkie business” was on one of these pressings. Not on the original album, released only as a single I believe.

Was glad to catch Waldo at one of the LAMF shows a few years ago. He died it seemed within months of that gig.

Date: July 1, 2021 17:02

Paddy
johnnythunders

More here:

[www.jungle-records.net]

Is this anything like the “lost 77 mixes” that came out on vinyl a few years back? That’s the best sounding version I’ve heard. Hands down. I just wish “too much junkie business” was on one of these pressings. Not on the original album, released only as a single I believe.

Was glad to catch Waldo at one of the LAMF shows a few years ago. He died it seemed within months of that gig.

No it sounds different to Lost 77 Mixes, to me it sounds better

Too Much Junkie Business was recorded by The Heroes (Rath and Lure), released as a single on Skydog and ended up on the compilation CD Punks From The Underground. Full story here [onlyrockandroll.london]

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 2, 2021 11:50

johnnythunders
Paddy
johnnythunders

More here:

[www.jungle-records.net]

No it sounds different to Lost 77 Mixes, to me it sounds better

Too Much Junkie Business was recorded by The Heroes (Rath and Lure), released as a single on Skydog and ended up on the compilation CD Punks From The Underground. Full story here [onlyrockandroll.london]

Just heard the new mix of Born To Lose and everything’s crisper and brighter. Damn that 1100 pressing though. I hope there will be a normal black wax release of this and not just a CD at some point.

Date: July 2, 2021 14:31

One of the best rock album ever recorded even if marred by the production of the original release.

I also love DTK live at the Speakeasy with Thunders challenging the London audience. "You should have come to Birmingham,they know how to rock ou there".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1928
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home