Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Detroit 1969 footage from Tubeworks
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 4, 2021 20:52

From the description on this video:

"Venue: Olympia Stadium, Detroit, MI Date: November 24th, 1969 Format: 1/2 Open Reel Videotape, BW, sync sound 0:00? Stray Cat Blues 3:50? Little Queenie This show has always been talked about with a certain degree of reverence, both for the performance quality ("We never really got it on until Detroit" etc) and for the long rumoured video footage, aired sometime in December of 1969 or early 1970 by Detroit Tubeworks, a local access station run by staff from Detroit radio station WABX. According to rumour, three songs were aired - Stray Cat Blues, Little Queenie, and Sympathy for the Devil. So far I've only managed to find the first two through different sources - Stray Cat seems to be a direct transfer of the original tape, with some messy editing to hide a watermark, whereas Little Queenie is a fairly rough off-air recording from the original broadcast. I replaced the audio for Little Queenie with the circulating audience recording, as the original audio had pitch problems from the poor video tracking. WABX anchor Dan Carlisle is featured at the end of the video. Please don't ask if I have more of this - if I did I'd post it! I do know that Reelin' In the Years Productions has stated that they own the original 41 minute 1/2" videotape, but chances are they'll never release it, unfortunately."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-04 20:52 by Cristiano Radtke.

Re: Detroit 1969 footage from Tubeworks
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 4, 2021 22:43

thumbs up

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: April 4, 2021 22:48

Thank you! Still enjoy anything like this no matter how poor the video and audio. Loved the shot of the people to the right of the stage near the end who were really getting into it. Crowds shots in general fascinate me from the 69 tour. Its such a contrast to a few years earlier where it was mostly screaming teenagers. You can sense the huge shift that was occurring with live events and what people wanted/expected. Right I'm off to listen to Ya Ya's now...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 5, 2021 01:45

what magical times. C'mon little queenie, get wid it!

jb

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 5, 2021 01:55

redkev
Thank you! Still enjoy anything like this no matter how poor the video and audio. Loved the shot of the people to the right of the stage near the end who were really getting into it. Crowds shots in general fascinate me from the 69 tour. Its such a contrast to a few years earlier where it was mostly screaming teenagers. You can sense the huge shift that was occurring with live events and what people wanted/expected. Right I'm off to listen to Ya Ya's now...

Exactly!!!!!!

"Little Queenie" live has to be pure Rolling Stones Magic.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: April 5, 2021 03:00

That was jaw dropping. This is the incarnation of the band that created so much myth and legend for my youth

Ummmmmm there is 41 minutes of footage out there? Oh my . .

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 5, 2021 04:04

Wow

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 5, 2021 04:52

Thanks!

Gotta luv MT on Stray Cat.
Fits his style perfectly...

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: April 5, 2021 11:40

Yes, I deleted the icon, to protect the person who shared the video within me

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: April 5, 2021 19:17

That's my video/youtube channel - I did get the Stray Cat part from Midimannz's '69 DVD project a while back, and thought I'd put it up with the Little Queenie footage. I can post the clips for download here if anyone wants them.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 5, 2021 23:43

Detroit 1969

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: April 7, 2021 00:54

What a beautiful find. There’s just something about that tour that hooks me.

Thanks for posting.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: April 7, 2021 05:03

Great post thanks.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 7, 2021 12:38

Now I may be mistaken, but isn't this material available since at least the early 1980's? Missing is Sympathy, which was reportedly also broadcasted.

Mathijs

Date: April 8, 2021 02:51

you and other members have mentioned this many times, but to my knowledge no one's turned up Sympathy yet, at least not online/digitally.

Date: April 8, 2021 05:12

Mathijs
Now I may be mistaken, but isn't this material available since at least the early 1980's? Missing is Sympathy, which was reportedly also broadcasted.

Mathijs

Maybe it is, but there's always those who haven't seen this one yet. On my behalf I can say I haven't seen the first half of this video until now (i.e. Stray Cat Blues).

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 8, 2021 22:44

The first one showcases the lean, mean Mick Taylor licks
and the second is the KR lurch and raunch show.

And each perfectly complements the other with their different rhythm styles.

So much mutual respect, space and grace.
The icing on the cake would be Sympathy which showcases theme in both departments.

But what is great about the audio too is that you can really hear Bill's essential contribution to the overall sound.

Greatest Rock and Roll Band in da World indeed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-09 20:45 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: April 8, 2021 23:17

While I wasn't at the Olympia show, the video certainly brought back great memories of what went down on that 69 tour which remains my favorite. It was all so fresh and exciting given the fact they had not played for a few years, Brian had passed, and tracks from LIB were being presented prior to the album being released. I still marvel at how incredible it was that the Stones had this feel for covering Chuck Berry songs. No other band has come close IMO. Queenie and Carol were superb on that tour. A full video concert release with quality sound would be the Grail. As it stands we only have snippets.

Thanks Cristiano!

Date: April 9, 2021 00:03

And Jagger more or less stood at the mic and sang. It was glorious.

So right about Wyman too, the unsung half of the riddim machine.

jb

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: April 9, 2021 13:35

jbwelda

jb

That's what I althought thought. Deos anybody know why the full-length tape is not published on Youtube?

Date: April 9, 2021 15:57

saltoftheearth
jbwelda

jb

That's what I althought thought. Deos anybody know why the full-length tape is not published on Youtube?

These guys own the master, but they only license clips for documentaries and whatnot:

[reelinintheyears.com]

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 9, 2021 20:49

Then let's make a documentary.

Or a whatnot.

Date: April 10, 2021 04:33

filstan
While I wasn't at the Olympia show, the video certainly brought back great memories of what went down on that 69 tour which remains my favorite. It was all so fresh and exciting given the fact they had not played for a few years, Brian had passed, and tracks from LIB were being presented prior to the album being released. I still marvel at how incredible it was that the Stones had this feel for covering Chuck Berry songs. No other band has come close IMO. Queenie and Carol were superb on that tour. A full video concert release with quality sound would be the Grail. As it stands we only have snippets.

Thanks Cristiano!

Those are great memories! Thank you for posting.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 10, 2021 04:36

Cristiano Radtke
filstan

Thanks Cristiano!

Those are great memories! Thank you for posting.

smileys with beer

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: April 10, 2021 08:38

Really great stuff CR, thanks for posting.

Date: June 23, 2021 06:19

Posted by: bam ()
Date: June 23, 2021 06:33

Thanks, Cristiano!

Date: June 23, 2021 08:39

Well that was pretty great. Nice to watch Mick Taylor take that solo at the end and nice to hear Bills bass bombs dropping. They never really got it on until Detroit.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 23, 2021 09:00

Fanks Cristiano .... great stuff .....

Stay safe ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: June 23, 2021 17:17

Cristiano Radtke

it made my day. thank you thumbs up

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home