Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "Dirty Work" was the real missed opportunity
Date: April 3, 2021 19:33

Bjorn
I can´t see no one else - has nothing to do with One hit (to the body) as far as I´m concerned. To me it´s just one of those fast Keith-songs: Wanna hold you, Can´t be seen and Heartstopper - or even Connection. But One hit? There´s no similarity at all.

The chords...

Somewhat similar chord pattern on Dirty Work (the song) as well.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 3, 2021 20:34

smileys with beer
MrEcho
Spodlumt
Ditch "Hold Back," "Winning Ugly," "Back To Zero" and "Too Rude," and replace with "Nobody's Perfect," "Strictly Memphis," "Putty In Your Hands and "I Can't See No One Else," and you have a great album. Three covers, but no turkeys. My two cents...
"Dirty Work" as released in 1986 is my favorite album by the band. So, no, the above suggestions won't do it for me.

Posted by: it's_all_wrong ()
Date: April 4, 2021 00:21

Yeah it really could have been a decent album. Strictly Memphis alone is better than anything that ended up being released. Maybe it was too happy and upbeat for them to even think about it including it?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 4, 2021 04:33

bakersfield
I absolutely love Winning Ugly. Good tune, great guitar work committed vocal good lyric. What’s not to like?????

It's chintzy. Remove the horrendous keyboards, chooky slap bass and the ridiculous club sounding drums as well as the horrible "committed" singing with the 8 year old schoolboy lyrics... there's a decent tune in there but it's below average, a toss off, it's only decent because of the guitaring. That's not enough to make it a good tune.

Date: April 4, 2021 04:34

MadMax
Victor Hugo instead of Too Rude and it's a 10 outta 10 for me. I've never understood the slagging off of this album, it ain't Exile but it's an angry little gem.

It's their worst album. Therefor, hence.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 4, 2021 05:38

bakersfield
I've said it before. Replace Hold back with Deep Love and Too Rude with Strictly Memphis and you have' a really solid album. I cannot understand how so many contributors here slag it and praise Undercover which was a phoned-in mess, packed with insipid filler like 'Too Tough' with its pallid guitars and by-numbers arrangement and 'All the Way Down' which the Faces would have rejected as B Si, the trite like 'Wanna Told You' and the forgettable 'Pretty Beat Up'.
Dirty Work was a major return to form, alive with engaged vocals, thrilling guitars and good songs. That's how it was received at the time. if only they'd included Deep Love and Strictly Memphis it could have been truly great. I can only imagine that both were casualties of the bitter feud between the Glimmer Twins.

I'll leave the last word to Keith Richards, in an interview with Mat Snow for NME on the release of Dirty Work:

Snow: 'Your last album (Undercover) was dull, it didn't happen at all

Richards: No, it didn't

'Undercover' is actually the album that I'd call a 'missed opportunity'. Whilst I think its much superior to DW and has three tracks that I personally think are superb (the title track, Too Much Blood, Feel on Baby), there are indeed some songs, especially on side 2 that are filler.

the outtakes including the Art Collins Tapes and the new 'fully finished outtakes' give an indication of what might have been. 'Still in Love with you' is a gorgeous ballad although I suppose it would have been out of place on such a violent record and there's a 6-minute instrumental outtake of Pretty Beat Up with a horn section that is gloriously funky and either should have just been released as it was or had a new vocal put on it.

Certainly wouldnt call it a 'phoned in' release. Some of the rockers are maybe Stones-by-numbers, but the more experimental tracks are very successful. If only they'd taken a chance and finished and released more of them.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 4, 2021 09:34

Putty is so good. Classic Stones. Could have been recorded by any incarnation of the band, and definitely would have helped Dirty Work.

Date: April 4, 2021 10:22

TravelinMan
Putty is so good. Classic Stones. Could have been recorded by any incarnation of the band, and definitely would have helped Dirty Work.

Might have been too many covers on DW if they included it, though. Good track anyway.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 4, 2021 10:25

Yeah Putty ... Bill mentioned it as a
goodun in an interview way back at thee time ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 4, 2021 11:32

GasLightStreet
bakersfield
I absolutely love Winning Ugly. Good tune, great guitar work committed vocal good lyric. What’s not to like?????

It's chintzy. Remove the horrendous keyboards, chooky slap bass and the ridiculous club sounding drums as well as the horrible "committed" singing with the 8 year old schoolboy lyrics... there's a decent tune in there but it's below average, a toss off, it's only decent because of the guitaring. That's not enough to make it a good tune.

Well, English is not my native language, but I am no schoolboy (but I know what I like), and I always liked the line "back in the dressing room, the other side is weeping" (or "screaming" later on). And the melody and the basic idea of the pushing bass-line is rather good.
But yes, the keyboard and the shitty bass sound destroy its potential.

Date: April 4, 2021 11:34

Gazza
bakersfield
I've said it before. Replace Hold back with Deep Love and Too Rude with Strictly Memphis and you have' a really solid album. I cannot understand how so many contributors here slag it and praise Undercover which was a phoned-in mess, packed with insipid filler like 'Too Tough' with its pallid guitars and by-numbers arrangement and 'All the Way Down' which the Faces would have rejected as B Si, the trite like 'Wanna Told You' and the forgettable 'Pretty Beat Up'.
Dirty Work was a major return to form, alive with engaged vocals, thrilling guitars and good songs. That's how it was received at the time. if only they'd included Deep Love and Strictly Memphis it could have been truly great. I can only imagine that both were casualties of the bitter feud between the Glimmer Twins.

I'll leave the last word to Keith Richards, in an interview with Mat Snow for NME on the release of Dirty Work:

Snow: 'Your last album (Undercover) was dull, it didn't happen at all

Richards: No, it didn't

'Undercover' is actually the album that I'd call a 'missed opportunity'. Whilst I think its much superior to DW and has three tracks that I personally think are superb (the title track, Too Much Blood, Feel on Baby), there are indeed some songs, especially on side 2 that are filler.

[...]

I agree. And I would add "Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love)" to the list of superb songs. But the last 3 songs on the album and Keith's song on side 1 make that the album is not as good as it could have been. A pity.

Date: April 4, 2021 11:37

From KRiffhard's post, the ones I really like are:

1. One Hit (To The Body)
[youtu.be]

2. What am i gonna do with your Love
[youtu.be]

7. Eliza
[youtu.be]

10. Sleep Tonight
[youtu.be]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 4, 2021 12:19

TravelinMan
Putty is so good. Classic Stones (...) and definitely would have helped Dirty Work.

There was already one 60's cover on DW. Therefore they couldn't include "Putty" or the similar 60's sounding "Memphis".
Mick and Keef must have thought that out before us... 35 years ago to be precise. cool smiley

"Victor Hugo" on DW? C'mon it's not even a track! It's Keef venting his rage at someone and Stu going along.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 4, 2021 12:21

The beginning of "One Hit (to the Body)" was such a promising start, one of the Stones' best intros...really knocked your socks off and...it was almost downhill all the way from there unfortunately. And "Harlem Shuffle" as the first single, a cover ? And leaving off Memphis, Deep Love ? Probably another case of Mick and Keith not agreeing on anything and getting to veto one or two of the other's songs.

It seems that since the SG/ER sessions other than for "Steel Wheels" where they were both on their best behavior for obvious reasons and maybe "ABB" because they were "down to two" following Charlie's illness and because Keith had practically zero material, all their productions have been hampered by petty bickering...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 4, 2021 13:35

As I wrote often:
DW needs a new mix to get rid of the trashy reverb and the whole 80s production. Then it´s a masterpiece

Apart that MY DW would include some more forgotten tracks:

One hit

Strictly Memphis

Invitation

Fight

Harlem shuffle (London Mix)

Deep Love

Winning ugly (London Mix)

What am I gonna do with you

Back to zero (alternate Take without trashy synths)

Dirty work

Had it with you

You´re too much

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-04 13:46 by deardoctor.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 4, 2021 13:52

deardoctor
As I wrote often:
DW needs a new mix to get rid of the trashy reverb and the whole 80s production. Then it´s a masterpiece

One hit

Strictly Memphis

Invitation

Fight

Deep Love

Dirty work

Had it with you

You´re too much

Invitation
[youtu.be]

You're toouch
[youtu.be]

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 4, 2021 14:18

KRiffhard
deardoctor
As I wrote often:

One hit

Strictly Memphis

Invitation

Fight

Deep Love

Dirty work

Had it with you

You´re too much

Invitation
[youtu.be]

You're toouch
[youtu.be]

thumbs up

what am i gonna do with your love
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 4, 2021 16:40

deardoctor
As I wrote often:

Invitation

You'd put out a 45 minute Rolling Stones LP which would include a 15 minute jam featuring Don Covay and Bobby Womack on lead vocals? I'm sure CBS would have been really delighted that they stumped up a world record contract for that!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 4, 2021 17:14

And "Invitation" "What am I gonna do with your love" "You´re too much" play in the same league : slow soulful tunes. It can't work : they would cancel each other musically.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: April 4, 2021 20:59

I've stood up for Dirty Work over and over here, so i won't waste time trying to persuade those who don't get it. Instead I'll mention my one gripe, and that's the drumming. 'One Hit' as 'Gotdablouse' described above starts thrillingly but then the drumming is pedestrian, almost lifeless. I believe Charlie was out of sorts and so various drummers sat in. Does anyone out there know who played drums on what track?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 4, 2021 22:35

bakersfield
I've stood up for Dirty Work over and over here, so i won't waste time trying to persuade those who don't get it.

Hmmm...you don't have to persuade me that you like DW,I realized it...thank you.
But in case you want to point out, that "those who don't get it" are not longer
worth to be taught about the greatness of DW...thanks again.
It's a crap album,but you like it...nothing wrong with this.

Date: April 4, 2021 22:49

bakersfield
I've stood up for Dirty Work over and over here, so i won't waste time trying to persuade those who don't get it. Instead I'll mention my one gripe, and that's the drumming. 'One Hit' as 'Gotdablouse' described above starts thrillingly but then the drumming is pedestrian, almost lifeless. I believe Charlie was out of sorts and so various drummers sat in. Does anyone out there know who played drums on what track?

All there is to get about DW is that it's a horrible album. Their view about UNDERCOVER is just their usual 'oh it didn't sell well' crap. It's superior to DW.

Ronnie plays drums on Too Rude and Sleep Tonight. The rest is Charlie.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: April 4, 2021 23:12

Hey shortfatfsnny no offence meant smiling smiley)

I’m sure I heard that Anton Fig played drums on DW and at least one other drummer?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 4, 2021 23:31

Which is worse: a Wasted Opportunity or a Missed Opportunity ?

Date: April 5, 2021 00:47

LD said the Wasted cuts deeper ... hurts more everyday ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 5, 2021 01:27

bakersfield
Hey shortfatfsnny no offence meant smiling smiley)

I’m sure I heard that Anton Fig played drums on DW and at least one other drummer?

Hey bakersfield, don't worry...everything's fine...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 5, 2021 03:11

Rockman
LD said the Wasted cuts deeper ... hurts more everyday ...

Larry David?

Date: April 5, 2021 03:47

well the surname is close ...real close

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1644
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home