Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Nils Lofgren's Rolling Stones " near miss"
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 27, 2021 18:07

Nils Lofgren talks 'Bonus Tracks,' Neil Young, Keith Richards and Rolling Stones near miss

by Chris Jordan

[www.app.com]

Re: Nils Lofgren's Rolling Stones " near miss"
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: March 27, 2021 19:02

With all due respect to Nils who was a hometown fave with Grin and solo back in the day, I cant see him in The Stones at all, stylistically speaking. I did catch him in '77 at Virginia Tech opening for Long Misty Days-era Robin Trower (Hot at the time- four consecutive US gold records in the mid-70's) It was a suprisingly boring show. Nils was best enjoyed in a club.

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: March 27, 2021 19:13

I've seen Lofgren meany times and met very briefly after shows more than once. His shows with a full band are extraordinary. I don't think he'd be a good fit with the Stones because he's a gentle guy who speaks constantly about love, peace, self belief etc. I think the old boys from Dartford are a tad more cynical.

One brilliant guitarist and perfectly suited to the E Street Band.....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 27, 2021 19:28

I thought he was great with Neil and/or Crazy Horse - esp. After the Gold Rush and Tonight's the Night - but also on the most recent Neil/Crazy Horse album Colorado.
Never been a big fan of the Boss so don't have much of an opinion on his contributions, but ultimately don;t think he would have been the right fit with the Stones.
Might have been nice for a track or two on Black and Blue the same way we heard Harvey Mandel and Wayne Perkins, but can't imagine him on Some Girls or anything beyond.
That said, he could have contributed nicely in a live setting to help buffer and cover for Ronnie...sort of hidden in the wings...

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 27, 2021 20:45

He wrote Keith Don’t Go ,so if he joined the Stones do you think the band would have pla it live.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 28, 2021 05:03

A near miss, a far miss - a miss is a miss.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2021 05:07

miss steak

ROCKMAN

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: March 28, 2021 10:49

I prefer him as a solo artist. I understand his joining up with that guy from Freehold and I hope he made a bit of coin, but his early days in clubs was pretty darn good.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 28, 2021 18:35

I recall Nils playing local clubs in Baltimore and D.C., back in 1970s. Caught him and Grin once in Baltimore. I still have the first two Grin albums packed away. I've enjoyed a few of his songs over the years, but can't say I am a hardcore fan. He lives here in the Phoenix, Arizona area. A great player, but not a Rolling Stone.

Here he is with Grin doing my fave song by them. There are a bunch of other great Grin tunes out there.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2021 21:16

A great player, but not a Rolling Stone.....

yep ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: March 29, 2021 03:43

Nils makes it clear he was not seriously considered but that Keith was very gracious with him. I like his earlier work a lot -- funny how he went from Springsteen's competition to working for him. We're not all Type A I guess. But he is a hell of a guitar player/musician and seems to be a really good, down to earth person. Yep, not a Stones axe man!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home