Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: March 26, 1971: the debut of the tongue logo
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 30, 2021 01:02

Stones should use the album title General Waste ....

Ya see that everywhere ...
FREE advertisement and pretty sure
Fab Four haven't used that title ...HHHHaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 30, 2021 01:05

Rockman

Maybe it was Picasso .. Goya or Dali who first sketched the tongue

Hindu goddess 'Kali' dates back to the year 600 (CE) - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

And then there was this '72nd birthday incident' in Princeton, 14-Mar-1951:

Date: March 30, 2021 01:07

Hey yeah Irix ...

ya gettin closer now ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 30, 2021 01:09

GasLightStreet
Hairball
No question I love the Stones logo, and have many shirts, etc. with the iconic tongue, but it's the actual origins of the design that have always been questionable. Some have even mistakenly thought it was designed by Andy Warhol, but little did they know the origins can be traced directly back to the Beatles songbook. And while I've always loved the tongue logo, not sure if comparing it alongside brands such as Starbucks and McDonalds, etc. is really such a good thing. Being part of a bunch of massive corporate sellout logos isn't really a positive imo, and instead like to think the Stones are separate from that mass consumption machinery.

It doesn't matter if it's a good or bad thing in comparing it alongside McDonald's, which took a while to become what it is, Starbucks etc, a lot that have happened after 1970. For one thing, it's the most recognizable band logo in the world, which has made it the most recognizable music brand in the world. There is no mistaking what it is when you see that logo - and that is The Rolling Stones.

For many people yes (especially us fans), but as already mentioned for many others it's simply become a fashion statement - a hip, cool, fashion statement, especially amongst younger people.
Some of them who wear it would be hard pressed to name even one Stones song, while there's others who probably couldn't even link it to the Stones period.
But yeah, no doubt it's an iconic logo that ranks up there with McDonalds, KFC, Starbucks, and Shell logos, among many other popular symbols.
Hats off to all who contribued to the design - Aldridge, Pasche, Chess, Braun, Velez, Dimicelli, and whoever else might have been involved.
Without all of them and their contributions, we wouldn't have one of the greatest logos to ever exist. thumbs up

Date: March 30, 2021 01:12

Hey ya forgot Mick Jagger and Kali ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 30, 2021 01:16

Lol...yeah them also. thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 30, 2021 01:29

A lot of ground here covered, and it's been a pleasure to read and I've learn a lot (if we forget one Beatle fan desperatively making it some sort of Stones vs. Beatles dick measure contest). However, here is one long piece tracing the history of the logo. We might call it more like a summary, since it involves most names associated to its creation also here mentioned, Aldridge too. Nice illustrations there, if anything else.

[www.rushordertees.com]

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-30 01:43 by Doxa.

Date: March 30, 2021 01:42

Sorry creepy little old lonely man Doxa - there's no Stones vs. Beatles dick measure contest here - just having a discussion on the origins of the tongue again.

As for your link, interesting to note this segment - it's as if the writer Imri Merritt was reading this thread:

Was the Rolling Stones logo copied?

While the Stones were touring the US in 1969 as well as recording Sticky Fingers, back in London another famous British rock band you may have heard of called The Beatles released one of their many smash records, Abbey Road. At the same time, a book had been published called “The Beatles Illustrated Lyrics“, featuring illustrations by the artist Alan Aldrige. In it, there’s one particular illustration that has caught the attention of a few people who nerd out about this stuff (like me):

Plot twist! “Inspire” is a charitable term indeed. Yes artists subconsciously borrow styles from each other, and yes there were shared graphic trends of the time, but this appears to be a blatant copy. What gives it away is the distinctive shape of the lips, the shine, the way they slightly angle back. Someone who was a contemporary of Pasche remarked in the comments: “John was a student graphic designer in Brighton UK in 1969, and frankly it’s totally inconceivable that he didn’t see the ‘Beatles Illustrated Lyrics’ book when it was published.”

If we isolate the lips from Aldridge’s illustration and compare them to Pasche’s design, it becomes even more clear: Inspired or copied? I’ll leave that to your judgment. Not many people seem to be aware of this, but those that are tend to agree that Pasche’s name should have an asterisk next to it in the design history books. The most generous explanation is that Mick Jagger showed Pasche the illustration and said “I want it exactly like that.’

Date: March 30, 2021 02:01

The most generous explanation is
that Mick Jagger showed Pasche the illustration ....

No Proof though ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 30, 2021 02:21

Funny reading through that article, there's a link that takes you to a thread started here on IORR in 2013 on this very same subject, and started by none other than georgie48!

First designer of Stones Tongue & Lips logo???

And this quote from article sounds alot like what CaptainCorella had posted here in this thread yesterday - could it be?

“John was a student graphic designer in Brighton UK in 1969, and frankly it’s totally inconceivable
that he didn’t see the ‘Beatles Illustrated Lyrics’ book when it was published.”

Whatever the case, it's deja vu all over again...there's nothing new under the sun...round and round we go...the magical mystery tour continues...still a mystery....

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 30, 2021 02:30

Irix
MisterDDDD

Do the Fab Four still have any kind of fan forum going?

Yes, e.g.: [www.BeatlesBible.com] .

I knew that winking smiley

Here's another though.
Is the Beatles original log.. err... Name confused smiley in a museum somewhere?

Surely it must be in a much grander, way more prestigious museum than the tongue.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 30, 2021 02:58

Doxa
A lot of ground here covered, and it's been a pleasure to read and I've learn a lot (if we forget one Beatle fan desperatively making it some sort of Stones vs. Beatles dick measure contest). However, here is one long piece tracing the history of the logo. We might call it more like a summary, since it involves most names associated to its creation also here mentioned, Aldridge too. Nice illustrations there, if anything else.

[www.rushordertees.com]

- Doxa

smileys with beer
Great article, especially for a Tee shirt site.
Touches on pretty much everything we've "discussed" here, including some of the similar sixties tongue drawings I dug out.

Also, in a roundabout way ends the Aldridge debate.

I mean if Braun "lifted" the Aldridge tongue, surely Aldridge lifted it from one of the several examples that were around long before he drew his.

And this definitively closes the case of what tongue came first.

(authors caption)
Obviously.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 30, 2021 03:00

GasLightStreet
Hairball
No question I love the Stones logo, and have many shirts, etc. with the iconic tongue, but it's the actual origins of the design that have always been questionable. Some have even mistakenly thought it was designed by Andy Warhol, but little did they know the origins can be traced directly back to the Beatles songbook. And while I've always loved the tongue logo, not sure if comparing it alongside brands such as Starbucks and McDonalds, etc. is really such a good thing. Being part of a bunch of massive corporate sellout logos isn't really a positive imo, and instead like to think the Stones are separate from that mass consumption machinery.

It doesn't matter if it's a good or bad thing in comparing it alongside McDonald's, which took a while to become what it is, Starbucks etc, a lot that have happened after 1970. For one thing, it's the most recognizable band logo in the world, which has made it the most recognizable music brand in the world. There is no mistaking what it is when you see that logo - and that is The Rolling Stones.

Strangely.....

About 15 years ago I was at a party and was wearing my Stones Tongue shirt (like this one [www.worthpoint.com]).

A lady came up to me and asked me what the red tongues were all about.

If that had been from someone who lived in a sheltered farm somewhere a thousand miles from everywhere else, and was about 18yrs old I'd have forgiven her, but she was pretty much my age and pretty much in my demographic (but from Scotland not England), and I was, and am amazed that she had no clue.

So there are people out there who really ought to know, but don't.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 30, 2021 03:08

Well ya can see where The Fab Four got
their look for the Strawberry Pepper era ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 30, 2021 03:15

Their was a Pakistan taxi driver who
gave me ride to Heathrow ... he asked me

Why you in England ?...

Ta see Rolling Stones concerts ....

Sorry who?

The Rolling Stones

I dont know who ?

Rolling Stones ... Mick Jagger

Me sorry me dont know ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 30, 2021 03:47

Rockman

Their was a Pakistan taxi driver who
gave me ride to Heathrow ... he asked me

Why you in England ?...

Ta see Rolling Stones concerts ....

Sorry who?

The Rolling Stones

I dont know who ?

Rolling Stones ... Mick Jagger

Me sorry me dont know ....

Exactly. But I did recently meet a 12yr old from Bangla Desh (here with her brilliant scholar mother) who knew who both The Beatles and The Rolling Stones are.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 30, 2021 04:21

Eeerrrr well there was Indian/Pakistan
girl on Eddie's Millionaire Hot Seat some
years back where the Q was who is the drummer
of The Beatles ....

She'd never heard of Ringo or The Beatles .....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 30, 2021 04:25

AND I guess you could
well imagine Eddie's shock horror .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 30, 2021 05:34

I get that some people don't know what the logo is - I bet the Stones don't give a shit about that. So though I pointed out that we know it's The Rolling Stones it's gone beyond that and has become a fashion statement is probably a twinkle in their eye of success.

Date: March 30, 2021 06:01

And we know *John Pasche made a heck alot of money from it, as well as receiving the sole credit from various people and places,
even though according to georgie there were several others who contributed and embellished the design (not to mention the Aldridge original).

From Craig Braun:

"Ultimately, it ended up being my version, not his, they use everywhere. They use mine for the tours, merchandising, licensing.
Ironically, the V&A Museum paid Pasche almost £100,000 for his original logo art, but it’s not the official Stones version”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-30 06:02 by Hairball.

Date: March 30, 2021 06:20

Good on Mr Pasche .....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 30, 2021 06:22

Sam's drum ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: March 30, 2021 06:57

^^^
Does that say Chess Records below Spoonful?

Date: March 30, 2021 08:01

....looks like it goin' by
the scroll/style of the other words ... ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: March 30, 2021 08:27

Rockman
....looks like it goin' by
the scroll/style of the other words ... ....

thumbs up

Date: March 30, 2021 08:41

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 30, 2021 08:44

I’m sure the logo is globally recognised, though can imagine many have no idea that it’s anything to do with a rock band. You’d be surprised how little some of younger generations’ know; especially when you take into account that their own parents may be a generation after the Stones’ heyday.

Date: March 30, 2021 08:49

I always point at their Stones T
and say ........ HEY! Great band ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 30, 2021 10:40

Hairball

From Craig Braun: "Ultimately, it ended up being my version, not his, they use everywhere. They use mine for the tours, merchandising, licensing. Ironically, the V&A Museum paid Pasche almost £100,000 for his original logo art, but it’s not the official Stones version”

There's a "small" mistake: it were almost US-$ 100,000 (not British Pound). From et al. [www.NYTimes.com] : "In 2008, the Victoria and Albert Museum in London bought his original artwork for £50,000 ($92,500)."

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 30, 2021 10:53

Hairball
And we know *John Pasche made a heck alot of money from it, as well as receiving the sole credit from various people and places,
even though according to georgie there were several others who contributed and embellished the design (not to mention the Aldridge original).

From Craig Braun:

"Ultimately, it ended up being my version, not his, they use everywhere. They use mine for the tours, merchandising, licensing.
Ironically, the V&A Museum paid Pasche almost £100,000 for his original logo art, but it’s not the official Stones version”

I smiled when I read that later on. First, the figure of £ 100,000 is wrong, but well ...
The financial reward for Pasche was and is fully deserved. Braun told me in the beginning (when indeed I had started that thread (Thanks for reminding, Hairball; my goodness, already 8 years ago)) that he wasn't given any order to design the logo, but Chess asked him (informally as a good friend!) to try and make the best out of the available information, being the fax and verbal info from Chess himself. And Braun also told me that he was genually worried to get sued (sueing was already big business in the USA, certainly not elsewhere in the world).
Remember, Braun became involved as a sleeve maker/designer! This logo stuff was just a unavoidable side activity!!!
Nobody could ever have foreseen the huge popularity of the logo, off course triggered by the huge success of the unbeatable Rolling Stones.grinning smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home