Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith and Etta James - 1978 Tour
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 25, 2021 16:51

So, am reading this article on pioneering women in early r&r and it notes that KR personally asked Etta James to open for the Stones during their 1978 tour. Did she join in with them on any songs? I don't remember her as an opening act but I don't remember the Stones tour that year either, meaning did I attend a Stones show (my mind goes fuzzy at some recollections) during '78?

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Re: Keith and Etta James - 1978 Tour
Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: March 25, 2021 19:14

I saw her open for them at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ -- she was nervous as hell, getting her sea legs again after her recovery, Keith was helping her with that. I cringed at some parts, because for some perverse reason, she kept commenting on how young the crowd was, like no one would know or care who she was, as if she wouldn't have anything to give them, and as if any real Stones fan wouldn't know who Etta James was. True, there was an overabundance of record company hacks with their guts hanging over their too-tight pants, with their satin record company jackets and some little idiot on their arm (the one in front of me put on lip gloss during All Down The Line!!), I wouldn't be surprised if most of them knew anything about the Stones, never mind Etta, they just wanted to be seen, you know? But Jerry Wexler was there, and I was there...but you can't stop a talent and a voice like that no matter how nervous she gets, and it is one of my most cherished concert experiences. God bless her. She didn't come out and sing with the Stones.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 25, 2021 19:51

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 25, 2021 21:40

MainStreetExile
I saw her open for them at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ -- she was nervous as hell, getting her sea legs again after her recovery, Keith was helping her with that. I cringed at some parts, because for some perverse reason, she kept commenting on how young the crowd was, like no one would know or care who she was, as if she wouldn't have anything to give them, and as if any real Stones fan wouldn't know who Etta James was. True, there was an overabundance of record company hacks with their guts hanging over their too-tight pants, with their satin record company jackets and some little idiot on their arm (the one in front of me put on lip gloss during All Down The Line!!), I wouldn't be surprised if most of them knew anything about the Stones, never mind Etta, they just wanted to be seen, you know? But Jerry Wexler was there, and I was there...but you can't stop a talent and a voice like that no matter how nervous she gets, and it is one of my most cherished concert experiences. God bless her. She didn't come out and sing with the Stones.
I was at that show, standing next to the soundboard when someone popped the tape out and took off during Street Fighting Man. To answer OP's question, no she did not join the Stones.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 25, 2021 22:03

Iirc the band offered her an opening spot in 75 but at that time she wasn't well enough to perform = she was trying to kick her heroin addiction.

E.J. praised the band (that is Keef?) for remembering her in 78 and making her another offer which she accepted this time.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 25, 2021 22:41

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 26, 2021 11:02

"1982-04-26 New York City, The Other End" acc. to Nico's site.

Posted by: mrsoandso ()
Date: March 26, 2021 15:17

The club is called The Bitter End.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 26, 2021 18:03

My first Rolling Stones concert. I remember Etta James trying to win over the audience that night. I don’t recall any boos or disrespectful behavior from the crowd. But she said she was here to see the Stones too and that they would be out later , but I’m going to entertain you now.
She sang mostly blues and ballads from what I recall. She did not appear with the stones.

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: March 28, 2021 10:56

I have a recollection of Etta opening at the Greensboro, NC 26 June 78 show. I know there are some Tarheels here; am I right or just mixed up??

Probably the latter lol

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: March 28, 2021 15:58

I was at that show, standing next to the soundboard when someone popped the tape out and took off during Street Fighting Man. To answer OP's question, no she did not join the Stones.[/quote]

Can you please provide more details about this incident? This action then led to the creation of one of the most famous and high quality stones bootlegs of all time, and would explain the abrupt cut at the end , unless the 90 minute cassette tape ran out
Thanks

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 28, 2021 21:16

deardoctortake1
I was at that show, standing next to the soundboard when someone popped the tape out and took off during Street Fighting Man. To answer OP's question, no she did not join the Stones.

Can you please provide more details about this incident? This action then led to the creation of one of the most famous and high quality stones bootlegs of all time, and would explain the abrupt cut at the end , unless the 90 minute cassette tape ran out
Thanks[/quote]

Not much to add other than it caught the sound guys completely off guard. I was watching the stage and my friend was the one who started laughing and called my attention to it. It was a hectic night obviously and the person melted into the crowd and was out the door in a flash.

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: March 29, 2021 16:50

StonedAsiaExile
I have a recollection of Etta opening at the Greensboro, NC 26 June 78 show. I know there are some Tarheels here; am I right or just mixed up??

Probably the latter lol

StonedAsia - i don't recall who opened in Greensboro '78 but i wanted to ask you about a previous post you made regarding the '75 Greensboro show.
You said you bought the bootleg '75 Greensboro at the Record Bar in Chapel Hill. I didn't think any recording had surfaced of that show. Do you think you really have that show on bootleg?

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: March 29, 2021 18:28

StonedAsiaExile

Probably the latter lol

I was at that show, too, and became a big Etta fan that very evening. I remember she sang an interesting version of "Only Women Bleed."

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: March 29, 2021 18:35

No such luck. In Cleveland KANSAS opened. Meh.

Posted by: sittinonafence ()
Date: March 30, 2021 03:34

Etta also opened at the Warner Theatre gig in DC in 1978

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 31, 2021 03:06

long shot but is there even a short snippet of a audience recording of her opening for them at any of these shows

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1854
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home