Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Would it be possible to get the Stones to play on your wedding?
Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 26, 2021 02:28

NilsHolgersson
I wonder if Mick is into crypto currency, I bet he has a percentage of his money turned into bitcoin by now

Not a hope. He studied at LSE so knows a scam when he sees one. :-)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 26, 2021 10:11

If they’re on tour, if the wedding is high class enough and if you have millions of dollars to throw their way - They’d absolutely do it.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 26, 2021 11:49

bv
dead.flowers
bv
... and you may wait until 2027 or so ...

Why 2027 Bjornulf?

Read my post. 2002 - 2015 - 2027. Every 12-13 years...

You’re an even bigger optimist than I, bv cool smiley
2028 would do for me, hoping to turn 80 then grinning smiley
“Time waits for no one” would be request ...

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 26, 2021 17:54

Rockman
Dirty Work live ..... hey i'd pay for that ...
There are some tunes on there that I want to hear live like Had it with you , and be close enough to Mick to hear and see him snarl and spit the lyrics - Had It , Had It , had it with you ! That would be fun .

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 26, 2021 17:56

NilsHolgersson
I wonder if Mick is into crypto currency, I bet he has a percentage of his money turned into bitcoin by now
No , more like Gold Bars

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 26, 2021 17:59

He must have his own bank vault

Posted by: nick1970 ()
Date: March 26, 2021 19:48

I like this idea... so today’s (Friday) euro millions is 90 million gbp. It would be a fun way of using 6-10 million.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 27, 2021 01:00

With the right amount of money you can probably get anyone to play at your wedding, even including Mister Zimmerman (a/k/a Bobby Dylan). The late Dean Martin's daughter, Claudia if I remember right, noted that she wanted Buffalo Springfield to play at her wedding or birthday party, I don't remember which, and her dad got the band to play for her. As Mister Zimmerman once sang, "Money doesn't talk, it screams."

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 27, 2021 10:35

CaptainCorella
NilsHolgersson

I’m surprised how often his stay there is mentioned. For how long did he attend? Five minutes? He couldn’t of drawn that much from his brief time there.

Date: March 27, 2021 11:10

Big Al
CaptainCorella
NilsHolgersson

I’m surprised how often his stay there is mentioned. For how long did he attend? Five minutes? He couldn’t of drawn that much from his brief time there.

I believe he did two years.

The famous meeting with Keef was in October 1961, so that would have been at the start of his first year - so he must have done all of the 61-62 academic year. The band took off in early 1963, so he probably did most of that second year 62-63.

I'll also add, coming from a similar time & background, that getting in to the LSE was no mean achievement. 2 A-Levels was a respectable level to get.

Amusingly, the LSE is as good as next door to where RSG! was originally broadcast.

Technically, when in (I assume) 1963 he took leave of absence, he was still on the books there. I think I recall that he did eventually formally withdraw after a surprisingly long time.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-27 11:13 by CaptainCorella.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 27, 2021 12:35

Mick was still officially a student at the LSE during their time at Edith Grove in 1962-63: his student grant helped to pay the rent.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 27, 2021 13:05

CaptainCorella

Looks like (if source's reliable): October '61 - May '63 (exams in June '62, grade C) - [RuleFortyTwo.com] . Since 1995 Mick is a 'Honorary Fellow' of the London School of Economics.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: March 27, 2021 14:27

It is never a good idea to upstage the bride !

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 27, 2021 15:48

Thanks for the info, CaptainCorella!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 28, 2021 00:36

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 28, 2021 01:03

ProfessorWolf

100,000,000 DOLLARS

smiling smiley

These days it's probably closer to 1,000,000,000,000 - an even trillion, fair and square - 14 tunes or 90 minutes, whatever comes first.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 28, 2021 01:31

dmay
With the right amount of money you can probably get anyone to play at your wedding, even including Mister Zimmerman (a/k/a Bobby Dylan). The late Dean Martin's daughter, Claudia if I remember right, noted that she wanted Buffalo Springfield to play at her wedding or birthday party, I don't remember which, and her dad got the band to play for her. As Mister Zimmerman once sang, "Money doesn't talk, it screams."

back in the days of the Buffalo Springfield, they were just barely beyond playing high school dances, and I am sure would come pretty reasonably for playing a garden party wedding. The Gollywogs (later Creedence Clearwater Revival) used to play once a month or so at the teenage dances at Cottage Ave Rec Center. And I saw the Buffalo Springfield way down the lineup at a similar sort of gathering, so its not like were anywhere near the superstars you might imagine. I am sure they would make you an excellent offer on performing at your daughter's wedding, especially if there is free food and beer, and the chance to meet some young ladies.

jb

Date: March 28, 2021 04:20

Big Al
Thanks for the info, CaptainCorella!

Thanks.

My ageing brain his now revealed to me, and having worked with a university administration I should have known this, that where I had written "leave of absence" the absolutely correct term is "temporary withdrawal".

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: March 28, 2021 10:44

There is your answer. Each lol

I messed up and forgot the photo of the band holding up a sign with '10 Million', but you get the idea

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-28 10:46 by StonedAsiaExile.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 28, 2021 19:06

CaptainCorella
Big Al
CaptainCorella
NilsHolgersson

The famous meeting with Keef was in October 1961, so that would have been at the start of his first year - so he must have done all of the 61-62 academic year. The band took off in early 1963, so he probably did most of that second year 62-63.

I'll also add, coming from a similar time & background, that getting in to the LSE was no mean achievement. 2 A-Levels was a respectable level to get.

Amusingly, the LSE is as good as next door to where RSG! was originally broadcast.

Technically, when in (I assume) 1963 he took leave of absence, he was still on the books there. I think I recall that he did eventually formally withdraw after a surprisingly long time.

Captain, what you say is corroborated here:
[rulefortytwo.com]

~"Love is Strong"~

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home