Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Hyde Park 69 Appreciation
Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 25, 2021 00:49

Just listened to the entire concert for the first time in years and absolutely LOVE IT! Is it rough, ragged with out of tune guitars? of course. BUT when you consider it was their first real concert in 2 years, 1st with Taylor, 2 days after Brian dying and that the entire setlist was either played for the 1st time or extremely rarely played ( except Satisfaction which had a whole new way of being played) . Never would they attempt such a setlist again. I just love that they really pushed themselves to pull this off.

Re: Hyde Park 69 Appreciation
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 25, 2021 00:51

And Mick in a white dress silencing the crowd with a poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley - what an unbelievable self-confidence

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 25, 2021 05:12

I was thinking about this show the other day. And yes, I do agree that the setlist/song selection was pretty unique and a one-off kind of experience for the time. However, for me, with the exception of a just couple tunes, I was never a big fan of the overall performance. Way too rusty and out of tune (and that includes Mick Jagger LOL) for my tastes (especially when you fast forward to the lubed and oiled great shows the Stones played by the time they reached the east coast on the 69 tour). Given the circumstances, I certainly understand how and why Hyde Park came together. With that being said, just imagine (under the best of conditions), if the Stones had ample time to rehearse and perfect that set-list from Hyde Park, that would have been one killer show to own on DVD/CD in the Stones catalogue!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-25 05:24 by Sighunt.

Date: March 25, 2021 06:11

The absolute brilliance of the Stones is in their first concert in 2 years, they debut JJF, HTW, SFM, SFTD amongst others. It was the debut Warhorse set list

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 25, 2021 07:48

This is a classic example of a show where you just had to be there, the video and recordings don't convey a fraction of what it was like, IMO. Though I still enjoy them!

Date: March 25, 2021 08:43

DrPete
The absolute brilliance of the Stones is in their first concert in 2 years, they debut JJF, HTW, SFM, SFTD amongst others. It was the debut Warhorse set list

JJF and SFTD were played at Rock'n'Roll Circus.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 25, 2021 09:28

Great "event" but horrible sound/performance, there's no excuse for out of tune guitars. Each time (rarely) I think of HP69 it reminds of these comments by various musicians/producers that say that the in the Stones can sound like the worst garage band for hours and then all of a sudden it "clicks"...not sure it did at HP69!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 25, 2021 09:46

They woulda sounded better if they coulda
played on for another three hours but those
English Hells Angels guys had to be home before dark

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 25, 2021 09:48

I was ready to go and see the Stones in Hyde Park in 1969 (train, boat, train). But then the sad news came on radio on July 3rd and on TV on July 4th. I felt very miserable because of that and couldn't imagine it was going to be an enjoyable concert. So ... I didn't go.
Much, much later I bought the video CD of that concert and saw that the way the Stones handled the drama was really great. Could I have enjoyed the concert? I will never know. Well, I "made up for it" in 2013 and was rewarded with a great Hyde Park concert. You can't win them all.
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 25, 2021 09:56

From memory, Keith's Flying V guitar was wildly out of tune plus he looked out of it on acid.

Date: March 25, 2021 10:07

Rockman
They woulda sounded better if they coulda
played on for another three hours but those
English Hells Angels guys had to be home before dark

grinning smiley

Date: March 25, 2021 10:09

gotdablouse
Great "event" but horrible sound/performance, there's no excuse for out of tune guitars. Each time (rarely) I think of HP69 it reminds of these comments by various musicians/producers that say that the in the Stones can sound like the worst garage band for hours and then all of a sudden it "clicks"...not sure it did at HP69!

True, but there are some exceptions. JJF, HTW, SFTD and a few others did not have out of tune-guitars, and they sound fabulous. So, the gig was somewhat uneven and sloppy at times, but those versions of JJF and HTW are classic versions - with a fantastic guitar sound. Too bad they couldn't use those Hiwatts in the US...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-25 12:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 25, 2021 11:52

gotdablouse

There hardly was an in tune guitar in the 1960's! Up to Hendrix and Clapton and Beck, they all were out of tune for much of their live shows. It really wasn't until 1972/1973 when the big bands started to hire roadies, when stroboscope tuners became available, and when string makers like Ernie Ball started to become big with better string sets.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-26 10:23 by Mathijs.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 25, 2021 13:52

Forget the guitars here, Jagger's voice was woeful!

In saying that, Sympathy was brilliant

Date: March 25, 2021 14:29

DandelionPowderman
DrPete

JJF and SFTD were played at Rock'n'Roll Circus.
Obviously. JJF at NME too. But this was the first time as a massive concert performance. As far as the RnR Circus, no one knew it existed at the time except the several dozen people that were there. So only those that might have caught the NME 68 could say they saw a one off JJF performance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-25 14:38 by DrPete.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 25, 2021 15:29

Oh, I always have had a soft spot in my heart for that show (and I would rate STONES IN PARK, with all its omissions, above any footage of any concert since 1989). There is so much problems there for sure - uneven performances, the over-all rustiness, out of tune guitars, Mick's throat problems (langyritis), but damn they still sound powerful and convincing! The attitude, the will power! Young gods! Some songs - such as "I'm Free", "Oh Mercy", "Stray Cat Blues", "Loving Cup", "No Expectations" - sound rough, mean and nasty in their cool, chaotic way (like, say The Velvet Underground does). Even the early versions of "Jumpin' Jack" and "Honky Tonk" have that unique dirtiness and roughness that works for me but that was polished out when they really get their machine oiled later in American Tour (true that about Keith's guitar sound mentioned here). The raw 'hippie' version of "Satisfaction" is among favourites ever (damn that they lost the beginning of it for STONES IN PARK). More than dirty guitars and Mick more bad-ass than ever.

They didn't flash any California smiles then. Like the dude in STONES IN PARK says, they were cool.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-25 15:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 25, 2021 15:56

I think compared to another not-so-great performance captured in film, MARQUEE '71, The Hyde Park performance is much stronger. In Marquee the band sound breathless, not motivated with 'couoldn't care less' attitude, even though there are some brilliant moments in there, even by accident, since the band was in such a great form by then. But is a pretty flat show in general - and gives a pretty wrong picture what the band was able to do at the time. But in Hyde Park they are determinated and want to do their best even though painfully knowing that 'shit, we are out of tune, play sloppily, we don't even know what to do with these songs, and about everything is such a struggle'. But they don't give a shit about that but want to show they are a helluva rock band, and make the show a winner. That's the way to move mountains, even big ones, if you ask me.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-25 15:59 by Doxa.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 25, 2021 17:07

Doxa
Oh, I always have had a soft spot in my heart for that show (and I would rate STONES IN PARK, with all its omissions, above any footage of any concert since 1989). There is so much problems there for sure - uneven performances, the over-all rustiness, out of tune guitars, Mick's throat problems (langyritis), but damn they still sound powerful and convincing! The attitude, the will power! Young gods! Some songs - such as "I'm Free", "Oh Mercy", "Stray Cat Blues", "Loving Cup", "No Expectations" - sound rough, mean and nasty in their cool, chaotic way (like, say The Velvet Underground does). Even the early versions of "Jumpin' Jack" and "Honky Tonk" have that unique dirtiness and roughness that works for me but that was polished out when they really get their machine oiled later in American Tour (true that about Keith's guitar sound mentioned here). The raw 'hippie' version of "Satisfaction" is among favourites ever (damn that they lost the beginning of it for STONES IN PARK). More than dirty guitars and Mick more bad-ass than ever.

They didn't flash any California smiles then. Like the dude in STONES IN PARK says, they were cool.

- Doxa

I have nothing more to add except amen!

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: March 25, 2021 17:09

I have always loved the 20 minute Sympathy with the massive drum intro.

Plus one of my fav early songs, Down Home Girl. Wish they kept that for the US tour.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: March 25, 2021 17:31

Hyde Park wasn't the best sound-wise. However I found that the true stereo version of the TV special, now available for purchase as a vault release, offers a much cleaner and listenable experience. JJF, for example, sounds much better and less out of tune. Too bad there is no stereo version of the complete show....

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 25, 2021 18:26

A very historical moment for the Stones and there fans as this was the start of the new era with Mick Taylor .

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 25, 2021 19:56

thkbeercan
Too bad there is no stereo version of the complete show....

That would be a a dream come true! It's a very special take on Midnight rambler -pure blues and very nasty. Also a fantastic setlist, played with heavy sounding guitars...That day they were the coolest band on earth!

Posted by: gastonl74 ()
Date: March 25, 2021 20:14

the first time I saw the show on video I saw them pretty bad on their faces! and in the sound too!
But they sound very raw and with a low feeling!
Being that Mercy Mercy, Stray Cat Blues, No Expectations and I`m Free sound almost like a single song doing an encore at Loving Cup!
For me it is a great show! and a unique document where the Stones had to face one of the hardest moments ...

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: March 25, 2021 21:04

Love this raw version of Rambler

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-25 22:57 by MizzAmandaJonez.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: March 25, 2021 23:21

Raw and dirty....and Charlie still rocked and grooved in 1969!!

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: March 26, 2021 01:25

from their point of view that show must've been surreal on many levels - not only their first live show in a while - in front of a HUGE crowd - plus doubling as a wake - they were in shock like any of us would be when someone close dies even if they were aggravated with him or not - i'm sure they were all drunk or whatever else too - Bill and Stanley Booth's description of the mood backstage doesn't sound like it was all that great - I've never listened to it without the video - gonna do that tonight -

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 26, 2021 01:43

I read that Stu said they played like shit because Keith was coming off some drug bender and they were all trying to follow him.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: March 26, 2021 01:44

There is a nice brochure of photos from this show called “The Stones in the Park.” It’s really old. I guess it was sold at some time shortly after the show? I found my copy on eBay for pretty cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-26 01:47 by misterfrias.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: March 26, 2021 01:54

cowboytoast
I've never listened to it without the video - gonna do that tonight -

Isn’t that something? I fell in love with the audio from this concert (I have several copies on LP and CD) but I have NEVER seen the video. I mean, I have seen a bunch of still photos from the concert (mostly black and white) but that’s it.

Please let us know what you think after the listen. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-26 02:10 by misterfrias.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2021 02:02

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home