Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Who Lives In Amsterdam Or Has Been There, And Is It Really As Great As They Say?
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 5, 2005 05:45

All my life I have heard of this wonderful place, where hash is freely smoked and beautiful women wait in windows holding signs saying "Visa and Mastercard accepted." Truly, I must make a pilgrimage there before I'm too old to enjoy such decadence. It seems like a Stones-friendly place, raw and dirty. Is it really as good as they say? Anybody on this board live there, or has visited there? Must be some great stories from you Stones-mad party animals.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-05 22:38 by ohnonotyouagain.

Re: OT: Who lives in Amsterdam, and is it really as great as they say?
Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: November 5, 2005 06:07

Yes Amsterdam is awesome. I lived in neighboring Belgium for 5 yrs. (Beer was great) & Amsterdam has all you mentioned & more. If one is going to Europe to party Amsteram is the place. Try the "Space cakes" if a hash bar, is your kind of thing. Very Good beer as well. Girls? Well they Dutch are famous for thier Dikes. Lovely place for Decadence & a place to see most definately. Have Fun!!!!

MEZ aka James

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: November 5, 2005 06:10

Well, I lived there for 20 years & spent my student days there. Yes there are women that accept Visa & Mastercard. But do you want that? I for one surely don't want that.
Yes, the quality of the hash is really good. But in the end you will prefer a beer.
What is nice about the town is the fact that you can go to places like the Milky Way & Paradiso & see some great bands. There are quite a few nice bars as well. It's also a pretty international environment: 10% percent of the population is from other european countries. The town is beautiful, with all its old buildings and canals.
However, Amsterdam is getting more expensive by the day, and price levels are gradually approaching that of Paris. That said, the town is way less anonymous than say Paris or London.
I see stickydion is logged in. For a party, don't forget Greece.

Date: November 5, 2005 06:17

Whale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I lived there for 20 years & spent my
> student days there. Yes there are women that
> accept Visa & Mastercard. But do you want
> that? I for one surely don't want that.

Well, the women I'm sleeping with now insist that I take them to restaurants and bars that accept Visa and Mastercard and buy them mass quantities. Not sure why that is socially acceptable and the other is not. I think I'd rather cut out the middleman if it was legal and the girls were clean.

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: November 5, 2005 06:21

I'll take the 5th on this one boys!

Date: November 5, 2005 06:24

James Lynn Wrote:
> I'll take the 5th on this one boys!

I already took the 5th tonight, and I am about halfway thru it so far. I am going to have to start posting on the I Am Drunk Thread in about 15 more minutes.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: November 5, 2005 08:25

I think we need to have another party at the studio here in town. Everyone start driving to Louisville, KY. Its no Amsterdam, and there arent any clean whores for you to throw your plastic at, but I guarantee loud music and liquor. W000000!!!

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 5, 2005 10:13

I live in Holland. There are indeed lots of coffeeshops and there's lots of guys just selling dope on the streets with weed stands, with signs and everything saying what kinds they have(which go down easily at the sight of police). Sexshops all over the place. Women in the windows too. All the rumours you speak of are true. And liqour everywhere. Beer and that kind of stuff is sold to 16 years old and over. Stronger liqour to 18 years old and over.

There's also some good record shops there that sell some Stones stuff.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 5, 2005 10:19

Amsterdam has it!
(Amsterdam heeft 't)

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: November 5, 2005 10:32

If you are bored during the "Dutch Stones tour" you can do a "murder sight seeing tour' You visit all the places where criminals where finished off. At the moment it's one of the hottest things in town. Recently a lawyer was killed in town.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: November 5, 2005 11:48

ohnonotyouagain wrote:
Well, the women I'm sleeping with now insist that I take them to restaurants and bars that accept Visa and Mastercard and buy them mass quantities. Not sure why that is socially acceptable and the other is not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
That`s life !
Take your "VISA or Mastercard" to buy the LP "Some Girls", listen to the songs and you will notice that the thinking of "some" women (not all) never changed ....all over the world.

So be happy to use your CARDS for all you wan´t. YCAGWYW !

Because of Amsterdam: Great Town to visit ! The only negative of Amsterdam is the SHIT SOUND of the Amsterdam Arena !!

Grüsse
Gerhard from Düsseldorf - Germany

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: November 5, 2005 18:51

Well, in my limited experience, other people's wives and girlfriends tend to also take VISA and Master but don't generally give them venereal diseases....
;-)

However, I think you are missing the point of Amsterdam a bit.
I live in England and tend to hang out in Amsterdam on average three times a year for a long weekend or so.

What makes Amsterdam so great is the dutch philosophy of life. They recognise a problem in society, and instead of reacting all paranoid to it like other states, banning things immediately and shouting hypocritically "say no to drugs!", they simply say to themselves "ok, how do we manage it and limit the potential damage to society as a whole?"
Hence the hookers in windows (most of them legal, health-inspected and tax-paying), live sex-shows (no, haven't been to one, don't intend to either, can't see the point), coffeeshops that sell dope from a menu, etc....They have introduced some "control" of what goes on in a much more effective way than any other state on Earth.
What makes Amsterdam special to ME is the fact that the Dutch seem so tolerant and laid back, with the main attitude seemingly "live and let live". But at the same time they are very obedient of the rules that have been lawfully established, so, overstep the mark in any way, and any little old lady will approach you and say politely "excuse me, but you aren't meant to chain your bike up here, you can do so over there...". If you remain within their boundaries, you can have a fantastic time. You can rent a bike and just trondle around everywhere (although when stoned watch it, you never know if you'll get killed by a collision with a tram, a car, or another bike! the traffic is highly regulated but confusing...)
The architecture is fantastic, it harbours hundreds of years of history, people are generally multilingual and immensely approachable. There are canals everywhere ,so the proximity to water makes it special again. They have the most wonderful inner city park, Vondelpark, in which loads of people walk their dogs, cycle and skate around, sunbathe, take tai chi classes in groups, sit in cafes, make out on the lawns, play freesbee, and and and ....you get the feeling you're out in the country and feel immensely safe. Amsterdam has a wide variety of high class restaurants, galleries, art exhibitions, shopping etc to offer, it is simply my favourite city on Earth, and I have travelled extensively...
The place is littered with beautiful girls riding their bikes (and you hardly see fat people, perhaps we should all start biking ?...)Plenty of handsome men, too, but the ones I fancy are invariably gay, boohoo!

So yes, if you want to go and get wasted and get laid (and actually PAY for it? surely it misses the point!) go to Amsterdam, but in my book you miss 99% of its greatness....

Johanna

Posted by: cherry red ()
Date: November 5, 2005 20:04

I was just in Amsterdam. It was wonderful! Personally I would never prefer to have beer or other alcohol in lieu of cannabis. You can keep that liquid poison and give me glorious ganja, no spins or vomiting or oafish drunken behavior!
There are coffee shops, I like Da Dampkring, as well as magic mushroom stores with about 6 types of Teonanacatal. Careful, I've never really considered shrooms to be recreational, more for soul work. They can be scary in large doses.
I also think the disdain for whores is bullshit. Whores should be reverred as valued workers in society. They relieve tension and stress and they bring pleasure. I like what Charlie Sheen said about whores: I don't pay them to have sex with me, I pay them to leave when were done.
There are some unlucky guys who can't get laid: homely, disfugured, shy, married, handicapped, and for them, whores are sacred.
When I'm too old to score, I'll call a whore.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: November 5, 2005 20:46

Ohno,

If you happen to be closer to Vancouver, you can visit the North American version: Vansterdam.

Down On West Hastings in Vancouver, there's the New Amsterdam Cafe where you can openly smoke a doob, and if you know how to ask you can buy the stuff very simply.
Regarding prostitution, Vancouver has its share; moreover, the city does have the singular advantage of being perhaps the world's most beautiful cities with its mountains, ocean vistas, and Northwest rain forest ecosystem.
Amsterdam is great, but your shopping dollars will go furthe in Vancouver.

[www.clubvibes.com]

Posted by: Rutger ()
Date: November 5, 2005 21:44

I live in the Netherlands. Not in Amsterdam, but in a city called Deventer. A couple of my cousins live in Amsterdam and I go there every month at least. I mean, it's only one hour by train you know. There's always a lot of fuzz about coffee shops and stuff like that. If you want to smoke some, coffee shops are everywhere (but they are in every town: there is one in my street for crying out loud. Smoking hasj and weed is like drinking thee over here. I'm going there in a minute).

Amsterdam is a unique place with a great history. It's as multicultural as any other big city in the world. The centre of the city ain't too big though. You can't compare it capitols of other countries. The main thing about Amsterdam is that you can let yourself go without many people complaining about it. The tolerance level isn't as high as it used to be though. Holland has changed quite a bit too.
Nevertheless... visit this city anytime you can and you'll have a great time. I'm sure you've never seen anything like it.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: November 5, 2005 21:45

best cigar store PJS HAJIUNANS

Date: November 5, 2005 22:26

jostorm Wrote:
> Well, in my limited experience, other people's
> wives and girlfriends tend to also take VISA and
> Master but don't generally give them venereal
> diseases....
> ;-)
>
> However, I think you are missing the point of
> Amsterdam a bit.
> I live in England and tend to hang out in
> Amsterdam on average three times a year for a long
> weekend or so.
>
> What makes Amsterdam so great is the dutch
> philosophy of life. They recognise a problem in
> society, and instead of reacting all paranoid to
> it like other states, banning things immediately
> and shouting hypocritically "say no to drugs!",
> they simply say to themselves "ok, how do we
> manage it and limit the potential damage to
> society as a whole?"
> Hence the hookers in windows (most of them legal,
> health-inspected and tax-paying), live sex-shows
> (no, haven't been to one, don't intend to either,
> can't see the point), coffeeshops that sell dope
> from a menu, etc....They have introduced some
> "control" of what goes on in a much more effective
> way than any other state on Earth.
> What makes Amsterdam special to ME is the fact
> that the Dutch seem so tolerant and laid back,
> with the main attitude seemingly "live and let
> live". But at the same time they are very obedient
> of the rules that have been lawfully established,
> so, overstep the mark in any way, and any little
> old lady will approach you and say politely
> "excuse me, but you aren't meant to chain your
> bike up here, you can do so over there...". If you
> remain within their boundaries, you can have a
> fantastic time. You can rent a bike and just
> trondle around everywhere (although when stoned
> watch it, you never know if you'll get killed by a
> collision with a tram, a car, or another bike! the
> traffic is highly regulated but confusing...)
> The architecture is fantastic, it harbours
> hundreds of years of history, people are generally
> multilingual and immensely approachable. There are
> canals everywhere ,so the proximity to water makes
> it special again. They have the most wonderful
> inner city park, Vondelpark, in which loads of
> people walk their dogs, cycle and skate around,
> sunbathe, take tai chi classes in groups, sit in
> cafes, make out on the lawns, play freesbee, and
> and and ....you get the feeling you're out in the
> country and feel immensely safe. Amsterdam has a
> wide variety of high class restaurants, galleries,
> art exhibitions, shopping etc to offer, it is
> simply my favourite city on Earth, and I have
> travelled extensively...
> The place is littered with beautiful girls riding
> their bikes (and you hardly see fat people,
> perhaps we should all start biking ?...)Plenty of
> handsome men, too, but the ones I fancy are
> invariably gay, boohoo!
>
> So yes, if you want to go and get wasted and get
> laid (and actually PAY for it? surely it misses
> the point!) go to Amsterdam, but in my book you
> miss 99% of its greatness....
>
> Johanna

Good post, thanks for all the insight. I almost felt like I was there for a minute!

You are right, paying for sex misses the point. I retract all my comments about prostitutes. The prostitues there should stop being prostitutes. They should stil sit in the windows and offer sex though, just for free. That would make it all ok!

No, seriously, I've never been to a prostitute and probably wouldn't if I was there. But I might do a little window shopping without actually buying. No harm in just looking as long as you don't touch the merchandise. Of course, whoever I went with would probably have a hard time prying me out of the hash bar to do window shopping or anything else! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-05 22:27 by ohnonotyouagain.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 5, 2005 22:33

Its a dump. Bomb it.
I´m not kiddin.
Was robbed there twice.
Most people cant handle neither weed nor H;
which is the other side of the coin.
Drop this romantic notion of Crappydam.

Go to Belgium instead!!!!

Date: November 5, 2005 22:34

camper88 Wrote:
> Ohno,
>
> If you happen to be closer to Vancouver, you can
> visit the North American version: Vansterdam.
>
> Down On West Hastings in Vancouver, there's the
> New Amsterdam Cafe where you can openly smoke a
> doob, and if you know how to ask you can buy the
> stuff very simply.
> Regarding prostitution, Vancouver has its share;
> moreover, the city does have the singular
> advantage of being perhaps the world's most
> beautiful cities with its mountains, ocean vistas,
> and Northwest rain forest ecosystem.
> Amsterdam is great, but your shopping dollars will
> go furthe in Vancouver.
>
>

Hmmm... sounds pretty damn good. And on the same continent as me, to boot. Pardon me, but I have to go buy a Parka and some snow shoes in preparation for a long journey north. Round up the dogs and hook up the sled!

Ha, I wish. Maybe on my next vacation. Awesome idea, thank you! You have made me a very happy camper, camper.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 5, 2005 22:38

"Bomb it"...classy choice of words considering the international climate.

Re: OT: Who Lives In Amsterdam Or Has Been There, And Is It Really As Great As They Say?
Date: November 5, 2005 22:56

I mean it.
Or just tear it down, at leats the red light district
and the coffee shops.

Re: OT: Who Lives In Amsterdam Or Has Been There, And Is It Really As Great As They Say?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 5, 2005 23:54

I dont really bother with dope and I'd never pay for sex and have no interest in sex clubs...

I'd go along with what johanna said. If you just pigeonhole Amsterdam with that sex and drugs image, you're doing the city and the people a great disservice. The red light district is still pretty interesting even without feeling the need to 'partake' in whats on offer

Theres still lots of fun to be had without it, its a fun city.

Its also quite small so its great for a long weekend, although you wouldnt find as much to detain you for as long a time as you would in larger cities like Paris, Rome or New York.

Date: November 6, 2005 01:31

Gazza Wrote:
> you wouldnt find as much to
> detain you for as long a time as you would in
> larger cities like Paris, Rome or New York.

Don't count on it! smiling smiley

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 6, 2005 01:35

i went to Amsterdam for a week
i went to get high,i could have stayed for ever,after my week of getting high i got back to my friends house in England and sat on the couch for a week and did nothing and said nothing to anyone i had to chill out.to easy in Amsterdam and way to many drugs over that week

but it was fun and Im glad i went

Date: November 6, 2005 01:38

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > you wouldnt find as much to
> > detain you for as long a time as you would
> in
> > larger cities like Paris, Rome or New York.
>
> Don't count on it!
>

depends what floats your boat, I suppose

I've been to all four of them at least twice, so just speakin' from my own experience

Date: November 6, 2005 01:50

bartman Wrote:
> If you are bored during the "Dutch Stones tour"
> you can do a "murder sight seeing tour' You visit
> all the places where criminals where finished off.
> At the moment it's one of the hottest things in
> town. Recently a lawyer was killed in town.

He was? No wonder it's popular!

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: November 6, 2005 16:56

POST SCRIPTUM:

(1) My sincere and full apologies to all of those unfortunate men who for whichever reason are unable to get laid!!! No offence intended, honestly.....
However, have you tried an oldfashioned wank instead??? (Alas, no need to pay, no need to say pleasantries, and from the health point of view 100% safe!!!!)

(2) Baboon Bro: you were either in the wrong place at the wrong time, which could happen anywhere, OR you are just the kind of person whose sight invites people to bash him over the head. Which would explain a lot of your postings.....

Posted by: jeroen starink ()
Date: November 6, 2005 17:02

what a bunch of bullocks about Amsterdam. I live in Holland, and about 30 minutes away (Alkmaar). Amsterdam is a nice old town, but not the nicest in Holland. Utrecht, Haarlem, Arnhem, Maastricht are ven nicer. If you want drugs and whores, each city has it. There are too many people in Amsterdam, just like in new York, Tokio etc.

Holland is a very nice country with great people.

There is only one thing: I hope the Stones wont play the Amsterdam Arena, because of the awful acoustics. SO keef and Ronnie: play Feyenoord Stadium in Rotterdam, but if you want to play Amsterdam , go to the Heineken Music Hall/
Only 6000 people can go in.

So Stones, please play at the Heineken Music Hall. Everyone enjoy the Stones this or next year!!! Bye Jeroen

Date: November 6, 2005 17:07

If you wanna joke about that three crimis got together
and stick a knife to my throat from behind, saying "hey,
amigo, money?", help yourself.
- Or a second-class pimp-wannabee
nickin my wallet, threatening me while demandin it back...
(I was in my 20´s, not yet 21 by then)

A bad love affair in that dump hole may accentuate my hatred.
I admit that. It was later; but that chick was so off while speakin of drugs
& prostitution.

And stop gloryfyin the international dope syndicate;
o, your naïve poor souls.

The absolute last place you should get high in is Amsterdam.
Its a hazard with your life.

Holland is a great country, but drug politics is a total failure there.

Weed is workin in isolated communities - but not along with
thousands of unhappy, uneducated outlaws
(And I´m not from some forest or outback somewhere, I grew up in a
fairly large drug-city myself)...

And the Belgian Beer is a good reason to set sail a little more south smiling smiley.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: November 6, 2005 17:21

the way those ladies of the night 'swipe' your card is quite alarming

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2172
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home