Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Best Honky Tonk Women Live
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 23, 2021 23:35

Still remember the first hearing
of Honky Tonk Women ....

Gail's parents lounge room ... radio on the mantle piece
DJ announces new Stones single .... That intro ...
Excitement .. trying to catch those lyrics ..Met A gin
soaked barroom queen ...!!!! did ya hear that ....
Then the mad rush ta get out the back door before Gail's
parents came home ... runnin' to the railway bridge
with what half the song rattlin thru me body & bones ... GREAT DAYS

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 24, 2021 00:15

This one. The 'other' - not the official - Brussels version.... Perfect! The way Taylor backs up the opening riff, giving it a certain roll... (later years they would have called Keith and Taylor's interplay as 'ancient art of weaving'); each element and nuance by each player spot on thru it playing- and arrangement-wise... but especially the whole chorus that is a total triumph: Mick and Keith at their peak voice singing their hearts out and the whole Rolling Stones Dream Team all cylinders on.... The whole performance is just so tense, tight but joyful!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-24 00:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 24, 2021 01:07

Doxa
This one. The 'other' - not the official - Brussels version.... Perfect! The way Taylor backs up the opening riff, giving it a certain roll... (later years they would have called Keith and Taylor's interplay as 'ancient art of weaving'); each element and nuance by each player spot on thru it playing- and arrangement-wise... but especially the whole chorus that is a total triumph: Mick and Keith at their peak voice singing their hearts out and the whole Rolling Stones Dream Team all cylinders on.... The whole performance is just so tense, tight but joyful!

- Doxa

HA HA it's so FAST!

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 24, 2021 01:28

Never really liked that song all that much, sounded like it was falling apart and didn't have any flow. Live never improved on it either, although I do like the percussion intro on the studio version.

jb

Date: March 24, 2021 01:37

Heck ... dont think its a good
idea we drive across The Nullarbor tagether jb

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-24 01:51 by Rockman.

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: March 24, 2021 01:47

Wow, that's shocking to me.

If an alien landed in my yard and asked me to play 5 songs to define the Stones, Honky Tonk Women would certainly be one of them!!!!

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 24, 2021 02:33

GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

HA HA it's so FAST!

Whatever, it is amazingly good! That is the version from the NASTY SONGS bootleg, isn't it?

Date: March 24, 2021 02:36

Oh I am sure we could think of a couple other songs to listen to instead, Rockman.

jb

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 24, 2021 03:51

jbwelda
Never really liked that song all that much, sounded like it was falling apart and didn't have any flow. Live never improved on it either, although I do like the percussion intro on the studio version.

jb

Seek help now.grinning smiley

Date: March 24, 2021 04:06

[b]I am sure we could think of a couple other songs to listen to instead, Rockman.[/b]

Country Honk ? .......... HHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: March 24, 2021 04:22

I am with Doxa - Brussels 73 is I-T!

That said, the version from Hyde Park 69 is really cool, and Sam Houston Col. on 7.19.78 is killer!

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 24, 2021 11:45

jbwelda

jb
I don’t like the Mona Lisa or Beethoven’s 9th either

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 24, 2021 11:48

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 24, 2021 11:55

The long and raw versions on the 75 tour ...

Date: March 24, 2021 12:44

stonesstein

That said, the version from Hyde Park 69 is really cool, and Sam Houston Col. on 7.19.78 is killer!

The Hyde Park-version has a groove similar to that of the studio version, something they never managed to do again.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 24, 2021 14:03

bakersfield

The Astoria 2003 (I was lucky enough to be there. HTW came as a surprise - I don't think it was set listed but it kicked ass. i was part of an ecstatic crowd singalong down the front)

I was down the front too. I remember Keith, just a few feet in front of me, banging out the open chord on the intro and then producing a pick from his mouth before completing the intro.

Date: March 24, 2021 14:16

Strange they played Honky Tonk Women on the1969,1970,1971tours but except for a couple of encores did not play it on the 1972 tour.But then played it on every tour in 1973 ,1975,1976,andI think on almost every future tour.But Rick Nelson played it at MSG 1972 even if Stones didn’t

Date: March 24, 2021 15:03

DandelionPowderman
stonesstein

The Hyde Park-version has a groove similar to that of the studio version, something they never managed to do again.

Yeah, it is - the studio version was fresh in their mind, having just recorded it and probably had not any idea in mind yet to play it any otherwise. It is a cool version, but I always feel pity for Mick struggling with the chorus with his soar throat or what was the problem with him then. Still does a great job, a true professional as he is (but still the whole performance suffers a bit of that - like if Keith's guitar being out of tune or having a string broken).

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-24 15:17 by Doxa.

Date: March 24, 2021 15:28

Witness

Whatever, it is amazingly good! That is the version from the NASTY SONGS bootleg, isn't it?

Hmm.. I don't know the origin of the youtube clip, but it is familair from all the old BRUSSELS AFFAIR and BEDSPRING SYMPHONY bootlegs (I am not familiar with NASTY SONGS). For some reason, the Stones picked up the other (clearly waeker me thinks) version for an official relaese (I guess the reason was that they wanted to offer versions not so familiar from the bootlegs - but the result is that the official version of the famous bootleg is not as great as it could've been... thankfully they did include THE version of "Midnight Rambler", though).

As far as the official version Brussells "Honky Tonk" go, Mick and Keith screw up big time the first chorus... sounds hilarous though, on with the show!

- Doxa

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 24, 2021 15:34

Hyde park? Isn´t it a bit slow? And out of tune?

Date: March 24, 2021 16:35

Doxa
Witness

Hmm.. I don't know the origin of the youtube clip, but it is familair from all the old BRUSSELS AFFAIR and BEDSPRING SYMPHONY bootlegs (I am not familiar with NASTY SONGS). For some reason, the Stones picked up the other (clearly waeker me thinks) version for an official relaese (I guess the reason was that they wanted to offer versions not so familiar from the bootlegs - but the result is that the official version of the famous bootleg is not as great as it could've been... thankfully they did include THE version of "Midnight Rambler", though).

As far as the official version Brussells "Honky Tonk" go, Mick and Keith screw up big time the first chorus... sounds hilarous though, on with the show!

- Doxa

I have got no certain knowledge about these things, I seldom have. But apparently (by virtue of a libel number) my bootleg NASTY SONGS is to be identical with another bootleg, denoted as "SODD 012 Rolling Stones NASTY MUSIC".

Googling the said denotation (everyone can do so) leads to a site, where the sources of that bootleg are presented. Some songs are from the Brussels first show, others from London (Empire Pool Wembley) and, what I have always known more or less, four songs from New York (Madison Square Garden) 1972.

And yes, according to this, "Honky Tonk Women" on this boot is from Brussels 1st show. I obtained the official release a little delayed, when I bought GOATS HEAD SOUP reissue (the first reissue I have bought, in fact), and have not even now started to listen to the official Brussels affair yet.

Date: March 24, 2021 16:39

Bjorn
Hyde park? Isn´t it a bit slow? And out of tune?

Slow and grooving. That particular song is not out of tune, unlike some of the others smiling smiley

Keith is playing the Hiwatt, just like he does (it sure sounds that way) on the studio recording.

Date: March 24, 2021 16:45

Witness
Doxa
Witness

- Doxa

I have got no certain knowledge about these things, I seldom have. But apparently (by virtue of a libel number) my bootleg NASTY SONGS is to be identical with another bootleg, denoted as "SODD 012 Rolling Stones NASTY MUSIC".

Googling the said denotation (everyone can do so) leads to a site, where the sources of that bootleg are presented. Some songs are from the Brussels first show, others from London (Empire Pool Wembley) and, what I have always known more or less, four songs from New York (Madison Square Garden) 1972.

And yes, according to this, "Honky Tonk Women" on this boot is from Brussels 1st show. I obtained the official release a little delayed, when I bought GOATS HEAD SOUP reissue (the first reissue I have bought, in fact), and have not even now started to listen to the official Brussels affair yet.

Nasty Songs - London 1973 and New York City 1972 - Dog N Cat Records

Posted by: ComeOn ()
Date: March 24, 2021 16:59

Definitely a nice opener , but I miss the cowbell from the studioversion eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-24 17:11 by ComeOn.

Date: March 24, 2021 17:09

DandelionPowderman
Witness
Doxa
Witness

- Doxa

Nasty Songs - London 1973 and New York City 1972 - Dog N Cat Records

That CD-issue is not identical to my old vinyl release from the 1970s though. (I have not even got a CD-player.)

Details about the vinyl boot on
[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: March 24, 2021 18:00

Well,
it´s a good number if there are lots of different opinions.

My favorites:

Get yer ya ya´s out

From the same tour any of those, when all three verses were done

Get your Leeds lungs out

(I´s there in Frankfurt when they opened the European tour April -76.
Honky Tonk was terrible, including Mr Richards falling on his ass)

Date: March 24, 2021 18:04

Slipping on a Frankfurter in Frankfurt...

So, it is true? grinning smiley

Date: March 24, 2021 18:22

Taylor1
jbwelda

jb

And I don't like you, but fail to see what that has to do with the subject at hand.

jb

Date: March 24, 2021 18:58

jbwelda
Taylor1
jbwelda

jb

And I don't like you, but fail to see what that has to do with the subject at hand.

jb
Oh ,my sweetie ,you broke my heart

Date: March 24, 2021 19:45

Again, fail to see what that has to do with the subject at hand.

I went back and reassessed my reaction. Don't hate the song, just sounds half done. Pretty good actually everywhere but the middle section they seem kind of lost, but recover well by the end. The end of the studio version is especially dynamic. So, am on a fence here, like the song but don't really love it. Kind of defines the "strutting" sound of their period between being a pop band and a rock band.

Not that it matters

jb

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2114
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home