Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Tina, we love you!
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 29, 2021 16:44

To be fair, I think it's not really interesting to the common viewer (not a Stones fan) that they opened for the Stones in 1969 or her Gimme Shelter appearance. There's only so much you can do in 2 hours. They basically show Private Dancer as her first solo album when actually it was her 5th so yeah they overlook a lot but it's a timespan of 70 years cropped into 1 documentary.

Re: OT: Tina I love you!
Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 29, 2021 16:54

Beast
Thanks for this. I’m very much looking forward to seeing the documentary one way or another. Tina is a pioneer and a legend who paved the way for so many but is still peerless. She so deserved the love she found with her second husband, who sounds devoted to her. She got so much love from the crowd in 2014 when she turned up at the Stones show in Zurich as a member of the audience. Of course, we had all been hoping against hope when we heard she was backstage pre-show that she’d be jumping up on stage to duet with Mick, but alas it was not to be. I saw her several times over the decades. The last time was in 2009 during her 50th anniversary tour - with Lisa Fischer as one of her backing singers!

How cool Beast!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 29, 2021 16:57

NilsHolgersson
To be fair, I think it's not really interesting to the common viewer (not a Stones fan) that they opened for the Stones in 1969 or her Gimme Shelter appearance. There's only so much you can do in 2 hours. They basically show Private Dancer as her first solo album when actually it was her 5th so yeah they overlook a lot but it's a timespan of 70 years cropped into 1 documentary.

Fair point. Worth adding the reviewer, a fiction writer, entertainment blogger, and now movie producer, is a writer who rarely mentions the Stones except in context.
From my experience with his writings, he lands in the common reviewer column.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 30, 2021 07:06

One of the articles linked early on in this topic explains a little about how the planned Mick interview fell through:

"Lindsay: We had an archive interview with him as placeholder. Then we did a little less of that first tour [1966 with the Rolling Stones]. We were set up to interview him when he was going to play at the Rose Bowl in 2019, but it was cancelled when he had heart surgery. And then, I dunno…some producers kept saying, “Hey, what about Mick Jagger? How about Rod Stewart? Don’t you want to interview them?” But it just didn't feel right."

[www.vanityfair.com]

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: April 28, 2021 01:35

I'm reading her book now, a lot of Mick & the Stones mentions, some are quite touching.. a lot of sadness ofcourse

"My right lung had collapsed. I was half dead. And I had been traveling with all this. One day, when I was still really sick, I woke up in my hospital bed, and my room was full of flowers. But one arrangement in particular stood out and the card on it said, "From Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones." That was the happiest moment for me. I began to think about who I was, and to feel like who I was. And I began to think about the fact that people really cared, you know? No flowers from Ike, of course. Are you kidding?"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 28, 2021 06:25

Thanks for sharing the article...what a sad life for a great woman. Glad she is happy now.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: April 28, 2021 06:44

...speaking of Tina, I want to share this rather thought provoking and informative piece I found from PBS News last week re:

How racism pushed Tina Turner and other Black women artists out of America.

[www.pbs.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-28 07:06 by Sighunt.

Date: May 12, 2021 19:06

I'm so happy for Tina being part of Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame's Inductees for 2021. I had read a news article just a few days ago that hinted that she may be on the inductees list.

Speaking of Tina, here's a clip on U Tube that I had not seen since it originally aired in the 1970's of Tina and Ann Margaret. Two gorgeous gals working it on Nutbush City Limits, Honky Tonk Woman, Proud Mary from one of Ann Margaret's tv specials:

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-12 19:28 by Sighunt.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: May 12, 2021 22:19

Congratulations (Hall Of Fame 2021)

to

TINA TURNER

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-12 22:20 by satisfaction2.

Re: OT: Tina I love you!
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 14, 2021 17:55

Beast
Thanks for this. I’m very much looking forward to seeing the documentary one way or another. Tina is a pioneer and a legend who paved the way for so many but is still peerless. She so deserved the love she found with her second husband, who sounds devoted to her. She got so much love from the crowd in 2014 when she turned up at the Stones show in Zurich as a member of the audience. Of course, we had all been hoping against hope when we heard she was backstage pre-show that she’d be jumping up on stage to duet with Mick, but alas it was not to be. I saw her several times over the decades. The last time was in 2009 during her 50th anniversary tour - with Lisa Fischer as one of her backing singers!

Congratulations to Tina on all she has achieved in her life. smileys with beer

I remember so well the Stones Zurich show as my Lucky Dip tickets were in the seating area not far from the box where Tina and her friends were.
Could see her clearly really enjoying the show. smiling smiley

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: May 14, 2021 18:13

Loved her and Mick's performance on Live Aid. If I recall correctly, she dropped everything and came to Philadelphia. (She may have been touring or recording an album, not quite sure.) When the journalist asked her why she came for Live Aid?
"Mick asked me to.." was her response. Her relationship with Bryan Adams made news, here in Canada.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 4, 2021 22:45

Tina Turner‘s 1989 album Foreign Affair will be reissued 16-Jul-2021 across a number of physical formats, including a 4CD+DVD deluxe edition:

[SuperDeluxeEdition.com]

Date: July 9, 2021 17:45

2021 Documentary now available in Germany:

[www.Amazon.de] , [iTunes.Apple.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 10, 2021 18:56

New Vanity Fair article:

Tina Turner’s Swiss Chateau Retirement Is Going Dreamily, Thanks for Asking

As the Tony-winning Broadway musical about her life returns to the stage, the legendary performer reflects on her career in a new interview: “Recently Cher came to visit. We gossiped and laughed a lot.”
BY YOHANA DESTA
OCTOBER 8, 2021

There is a plaque in Tina Turner’s home that reads, “Please no package deliveries before 12 o’clock.”

“You can deduce from that: I am not an early riser,” Turner says via email when asked to describe a typical day in retirement for her. “I start every day calmly. My favorite thing is to take care of my flowers in the garden.”

It’s a blissful life, one that Turner worked incredibly hard to earn. The legendary entertainer stepped back from the public eye nearly 20 years ago, retiring to Chateau Algonquin, her sprawling home in Switzerland, with husband Erwin Bach. But public fascination with Turner hasn’t gone away. This month, Tina, the Tony Award-winning Broadway musical based on her life, returns to the stage, with best actress winner Adrienne Warren reprising her role as Turner for the rest of October. Then the role will be taken over by Nkeki Obi-Melekwe, who played Turner in the musical’s West End production.

That’s not all Turner has going on, though. Later this month, she’ll be inducted to the Rock ’n’ Roll Hall of Fame for a second time—this time as a solo performer, sans Ike. She’ll also see BMG acquire her music catalog for a reported $50 million. In an email interview with Vanity Fair, Turner reflected on these recent achievements and pulled back the curtain on what life is like for her these days, taking care of her garden and entertaining guests like Cher at the chateau.

I was just thrilled for Adrienne to receive the recognition she so richly deserved. She has given everything to this role. I know what it takes, and I am so proud of her. She is very special to me and always will be. I felt the same joy when I spoke with Katori [Hall, who wrote the book for Tina] the day she won her Pulitzer. I whooped with excitement! It means so much to me to see this generation of incredible women take flight.

Nkeki Obi-Melekwe will take over for Adrienne next month. Do you have any advice for her? And were you able to meet her, either virtually or in-person, at all in this process?

My producer brought Nkeki to visit me at home when they first discovered her two years ago. She was only 23 then and about to begin playing the role of Tina in the West End. Nkeki is a powerhouse. To take the baton in this most challenging leading role in what is her Broadway debut so early in her career says it all. I love that we even share the same birthmark!

You’ll be inducted to the Rock ’n’ Roll Hall of Fame for a second time this month, but this time as a solo performer. What does that recognition mean to you?

I was of course very excited to be inducted into the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame, it’s a great honor for me. At the same time, I feel a certain humility to be in a row with the greatest musicians of this world.

I’m curious about your retirement. You live in Switzerland, in a beautiful chateau that was shown briefly in the documentary Tina. What is your favorite room or space in your home and why?

Oh, I don’t have a favorite room at all. However, in the course of one’s life, one accumulates many objects for which one needs space. I have, for example, some artifacts of Egyptian art. I like to be surrounded by these and other collectibles. It is not at all about whether they are expensive or valuable. The important thing is that I have a personal relationship with each one. I also love the view of Lake Zurich from our garden—I enjoy the peace and quiet.

In a 2019 New York Times interview, you said this of your retirement: “I don’t sing. I don’t dance. I don’t dress up.” Is that still true?

Hahaha. Yes, that’s true. Well. Sometimes I subconsciously hum along to a song that’s on the radio. I also really liked Kygo’s cover version of “What’s Love Got to Do With It.”

Is there anything you miss about performing?

No, it was a great time, but it’s in the past.

What is the last piece of music you listened to that moved you?

I am a Buddhist. I like the calming effect of Buddhist sounds. They make me realize every time anew that we are all one.

Are there any contemporary artists in the music world that excite you? If so, whom and why?

Oh my God! Of course! I could list dozens, but I would surely forget to mention some. That’s why I say: every art that touches people is unique.

Is Buddhism still a central practice in your life? If so, how has your relationship to it evolved over the years?

Last year I published the book Happiness Becomes You in which I write about my relationship with Buddhism. And that book made me realize once again how much I owe to my faith. I still chant every day. Chanting helps me to clear obstacles and live a calm life.

What is your favorite way to treat yourself these days?

I love to sit in my garden and listen to nature, take loving care of my plants. I also enjoy chatting with friends. Recently Cher came to visit. We gossiped and laughed a lot. We had a great time!

Your birthday is coming up next month. How do you plan to celebrate?

Haha, good question! I’d have to ask Erwin if he has anything planned. We’ll celebrate in a small circle, but certainly nothing big.

On that note, in retrospect, do you have a favorite past birthday? What was your favorite celebration? And what was the best gift given to you?

The most beautiful celebration was definitely my wedding with Erwin in 2013. It was beautiful to have the loved ones around. The greatest gift I have ever received? Erwin.

You’ve given countless interviews, written autobiographies, been the subject of movies, TV shows, documentaries, and, of course, a Broadway musical. Aside from your music, what has been your favorite way to share your story with your fans all over the world?

At the risk of disappointing you, nothing can top that energy of a concert. I really enjoyed every minute of it! I loved it!

[www.vanityfair.com]

Date: October 19, 2022 23:20

Tina Turner’s 1986 album Break Every Rule will be reissued 25-Nov-2022 across three physical formats, including a 3CD+2DVD box set:

CD1: Original Album (2022 Remaster)
CD2: B-Sides, Remixes & Live
CD3: Tina Live in Rio - 16/1/88
DVD1: Tina Live in Rio - 16/1/88
DVD2: Live: Camden Palace, London – 11/86

[SuperDeluxeEdition.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-20 00:10 by Irix.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 19, 2022 23:38

Irix
Tina Turner’s 1986 album Break Every Rule will be reissued 25-Nov-2022 across three physical formats, including a 3CD+2DVD box set:

[SuperDeluxeEdition.com]

a third of the Rio 1998 show is missing on the CD/DVD…

Posted by: stickytom ()
Date: October 20, 2022 02:17

I'm not a big Tina Turner Fan, but i have the "Foreign Affair" Deluxe Box, and this one looks another good release in a sufficient Size for a much fairer price as compared to the for me unnecessarily large "Stones" CD Deluxe Boxes !

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 20, 2022 09:11

stickytom
I'm not a big Tina Turner Fan, but i have the "Foreign Affair" Deluxe Box, and this one looks another good release in a sufficient Size for a much fairer price as compared to the for me unnecessarily large "Stones" CD Deluxe Boxes !

BITE YOUR TONGUE!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 20, 2022 11:46

dennycranium
Loved her and Mick's performance on Live Aid. If I recall correctly, she dropped everything and came to Philadelphia. (She may have been touring or recording an album, not quite sure.) When the journalist asked her why she came for Live Aid?
"Mick asked me to.." was her response. Her relationship with Bryan Adams made news, here in Canada.

Tina is such a huge part of the Stones history.she just shows up here and there and you can see how great she is and how much the band love her.
From her great performances in Gimme Shelter to Live Aid.
The way Mick and Keith talk to her when she visits backstage in Cckscker Blues you can see the respect.
BTW, few people caught it but the famous “ wardrobe malfunction “ when Justin Timberlake pulled Janet Jackson’s top off was a direct steal from Mick and Tina at Live Aid.
I was watching with a room full of people and when Mick pulled that leather dress off it was “ whooooaaa!!”

Date: October 20, 2022 11:49

Every time this topic is up my heart skips a beat. Hope she is fine and happy

Date: November 27, 2022 07:05

Happy belated birthday Tina!

Date: December 11, 2022 00:35

Tina Turner lost on 8-Dec-2022 her second biological son, Ronnie Turner (aged 62), which was Tina's son with ex-husband Ike Turner. Her first biological son Craig Turner, whom she had with musician Raymond Hill, died already in 2018 at the age of 60 - [www.Billboard.com] , Wikipedia. Her sons Ike Jr. (* 1958) and Michael (* 1960) are from Ike Turner's relationship with Lorraine Taylor and were adopted by Tina Turner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-11 00:50 by Irix.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: December 12, 2022 05:43

I'm so sad for Tina.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: December 12, 2022 21:27

very sad news. Keep up Tina !

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 13, 2022 15:05

Bob Seger did a great job with her "Nutbush City Limits"

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 8, 2023 15:46

[www.theguardian.com]

The Q&A - Tina Turner
Tina Turner: ‘I always had a crush on Mick Jagger. I loved touring with the Rolling Stones’
The singer on starting out as a tomboy, her horror movie marathons and a secret love of McDonald’s

Born in Tennessee, Tina Turner, 83, started performing with Ike Turner’s band Kings of Rhythm as a teenager. She had two sons, one with Ike whom she married in 1962. As a duo, Ike and Tina’s hits included Proud Mary and Nutbush City Limits. In 1984, Turner released her multi-platinum solo album Private Dancer; her single What’s Love Got to Do With It topped the charts and won three Grammys. In 2018, she received a Grammy lifetime achievement award. This month is the fifth anniversary of Tina: The Tina Turner Musical is now booking to spring 2024 at the Aldwych theatre, London. Turner lives in Switzerland with her second husband, Erwin Bach.

What is your greatest fear?
I never want to go back; I fought so much through my life, that I have to keep going forward.

What is your earliest memory?
Playing on my favourite tree. I was a tomboy and I’d always be tearing my clothes, messing up my hair.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
I don’t deplore anything about myself, but I am a perfectionist.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Too many times I had people try and make decisions for me. The assumption that I needed that was a big mistake!

Describe yourself in three words
Honest, feisty, fun.

What would your superpower be?
Maybe all those solo concerts I did in 6in heels!

What makes you unhappy?
I have lost people close to me, too soon.

What do you most dislike about your appearance?
Nothing. Women are forced to look far too closely and be critical of their appearance. Men don’t.

Who would play you in the film of your life?
Angela Bassett has already done that. Plus I have a team of “my Tinas” playing me in our musical.

What is your most unappealing habit?
Watching horror movies back to back.

What scares you about getting older?
Nothing. This is life’s full adventure and I embrace and accept every day with what it brings.

Who is your celebrity crush?
I always had a crush on Mick Jagger. I loved when we toured with the Rolling Stones.

Would you choose fame or anonymity?
I wanted fame and I achieved it. Now, I enjoy anonymity in my retirement.

What does love feel like?
Like a dryer going off in your stomach.

Have you ever said ‘I love you’ and not meant it?
Not unless I was scared for mine or my children’s lives.

If not yourself, who would you most like to be?
Oprah.

When’s the last time you changed your mind about something significant?
When I first met my producers, I told them I didn’t want a musical to be made. I changed my mind – and that was definitely the right decision!

Would you rather have more sex, money or fame?
At my age, is there another option?

How would you like to be remembered?
As the Queen of Rock’n’Roll. As a woman who showed other women that it is OK to strive for success on their own terms.

Tell us a secret
I love McDonald’s. After the first preview of my musical in London, I made Erwin take a detour on the way back to our hotel.

Date: September 28, 2023 17:50

Tina Turner - Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll - new compilation:

5LP or 3CD - 24-Nov-2023 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-28 21:10 by Irix.

Date: September 28, 2023 21:10

Tina Turner - 'Something Beautiful' (2023 Version) :

[www.YouTube.com]

Date: February 16, 2024 08:50

What’s Love Got To Do With It - 4CD+DVD deluxe reissue:

26-Apr-2024 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] . The DVD is: 'Live from the Blockbuster Pavilion', San Bernardino (California), September 15, 1993.

What's Love Got to Do with It (30th Anniversary Edition, 2023 Remaster) - [www.Qobuz.com] - (96kHz/24bit).

Proud Mary (Acapella) - [www.YouTube.com] , [open.Spotify.com] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 10:20 by Irix.

Date: February 16, 2024 10:18

There's songs from the soundtrack that I'm still missing on this, like the instrumental score from the movie

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home