Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Tina, we love you!
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 18, 2021 20:05

Tina Turner says goodbye to fans with doc amid PTSD, stroke, cancer

[nypost.com]

One of my major regrets in life was not seeing Tina Turner live in concert. She seemed like such a beautiful person who persevered and worked so hard to become the superstar talent that she was. She definitely is and was an inspiration for many.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-19 04:25 by Sighunt.

Re: OT: Tina I love you!
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 18, 2021 20:20

TINA documentary (27-Mar-2021) by HBO:

[www.YouTube.com] · [www.HBO.com]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 19, 2021 00:53

Thanks for this. I’m very much looking forward to seeing the documentary one way or another. Tina is a pioneer and a legend who paved the way for so many but is still peerless. She so deserved the love she found with her second husband, who sounds devoted to her. She got so much love from the crowd in 2014 when she turned up at the Stones show in Zurich as a member of the audience. Of course, we had all been hoping against hope when we heard she was backstage pre-show that she’d be jumping up on stage to duet with Mick, but alas it was not to be. I saw her several times over the decades. The last time was in 2009 during her 50th anniversary tour - with Lisa Fischer as one of her backing singers!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 19, 2021 01:12

I only saw Tina once, with the Ikettes and her POS husband--despite whom, it was an absolutely electric performance and I'll never forget the way she shimmied across the stage. The fact that I was so blown away by her while waiting for the Stones who were the headliners is a testament to how how compelling and all-around awesome she was!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 19, 2021 01:43

Ike & Tina.. there was such a chemistry.. even though she became a bigger star in the 80s as a solo act I don't think her music was ever on the same level again after she left Ike

Re: OT: Tina, we love you!
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 19, 2021 04:47

That's a great clip Nils. thumbs up

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 19, 2021 05:18

NilsHolgersson

Ike & Tina.. there was such a chemistry.. even though she became a bigger star in the 80s as a solo act I don't think her music was ever on the same level again after she left Ike

Not seeing the same chemistry here tbh.
Maybe it's knowing what we know now, but the entire time she seems a bit cowering, smiling for the cameras etc., but with an undeniable sadness about her.
At the 2:25 mark, he slaps her hand away quick while she's trying to fix his mustache or something, it is very telling. He has the same bully energy throughout.
Musically you may be right, but glad she escaped this abuser.

Date: March 19, 2021 05:40

MisterDDDD
NilsHolgersson

Not seeing the same chemistry here tbh.
Maybe it's knowing what we know now, but the entire time she seems a bit cowering, smiling for the cameras etc., but with an undeniable sadness about her.
At the 2:25 mark, he slaps her hand away quick while she's trying to fix his mustache or something, it is very telling. He has the same bully energy throughout.
Musically you may be right, but glad she escaped this abuser.

Amen to that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-19 05:42 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 19, 2021 06:09

An amazing performance from the 1966 The Big T.N.T show - a sequel to the T.A.M.I show from 1964. > BIG T.N.T.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-19 06:11 by Hairball.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 19, 2021 07:46

I remember how hard she worked after leaving Ike. She was everywhere.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 19, 2021 08:49

Ike & Tina.. there was such a chemistry..

Sure was ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 19, 2021 12:19

First time I saw her was at her re launch club gig at The Ritz in NYC 1983. Keith was there..upstairs in the balcony private bar area..there must have been 50 people around Keith...a lot of people were there. It was a magical night. Amazing performance and she had so many people cheering her on....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 19, 2021 12:23

Saw Ike & Tina The Revue couple of times
Copped Tina show just after she bailed from Ike .... Man she worked hard

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 19, 2021 12:45

The 2020 documentary 'TINA' is also part of the 71st Berlin International Film Festival - [www.Berlinale.de] , [www.Musikexpress.de] .

There was a similar 2020 documentary 'Tina Turner - One of the Living' shown on arte Germany/France about the biography of Tina Turner, from her tumultuous past - especially to Ike Turner - to the diva of rock she has become - [www.IMDb.com] , [Programm.ARD.de] . But it's currently not online or in TV.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 19, 2021 13:45

Very sorry for Tina’s continuing health problems, she was so youthful and dynamic for so long that it’s hard to imagine her aging like we mortals. I saw her in ‘08 (with Lisa F) and she was incredible. And I was lucky enough to catch the musical Tina, in London in 2018, and it was incredibly good - highly recommend seeing it when the world returns to normal. Best wishes to the great lady.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 19, 2021 14:42

What I admire Tina for is the great comeback she had in the 80s with a string of hits and big tours accompanying it.

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: March 19, 2021 15:48

Saw The Ike and Tina Turner Revue close the first half for the Stones at Birmingham UK in 1966. Tina was a sensation, such a powerful voice and (like Jagger) a charismatic stage presence, born to perform. She also used the microphone and mic stand in a sexual way which back in 1966 England was shocking and exciting.
River Deep Mountain High was a show stopper.
The second half of the theatre show was opened by The Yardbirds, with Page and Beck in the band.
Then the Stones, with Brian on dulcimer for Lady Jane...........
............all those memories.........thanks Tina.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: March 19, 2021 23:07

How much I adore that woman! Saw her live in 1996 at Olympiahalle, Munich, and was completely blown away. I was only 22yrs old back then, but it just felt „right“ (and I‘m not talking about the „pop music parts“ of the show).
Solo, with Ike, with Bowie, even a young Bryan Adams didn’t hurt - she‘s the original Queen of music for me (sorry Sheryl! Sorry Macy, love you anyway...).
And we share the date of birth (cept for the year). Half of one decent hangover each year belongs to her.

Cheers, Fillmore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-19 23:08 by Fillmore.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 20, 2021 17:34

Pretty amazing World Shaking Talent.
Real guy bucket early days just spectacularly innovative and passionate.
I interviewed Ike in Men's Colony State Prison Back in the Day. Around 1989 or 1990.
Chi Trib and other places took it and cleaned it up just a bit.
I can say that in a personal level, apart from
Bio drama and I hope a halfway decent piece...I haven't done that kind of thing in Decades ...
I was super young and more moonlighting but
I have to admit that sitting alone with Ike Turner for a few hours in a small room...
...when he was in stir and really ready to open up if it wasn't smash and grab stuff,
was easily one of the most personally instructive, magical, transcendental even, and personally important afternoons in my Life.

I still hear his take on "Universal Rhythm"
And "Everything is the same beat, man!"
Kinda stuff.
Love that cat. RIP.
And don't want to get into controversial stuff.
Wasn't a puff piece tho.
Tina book had come out and I put it to hIm.
He was very forthcoming.

She's a magical delight.
I listen and Watch that Super Early Ike and Tina stuff. And most of her thrilling Decades of amazing live work.
I spend so much time with Tina's shows.
God Bless Her.
Ever see that rehearsal footage getting moves Down with The Ikettes?
She's just amazing.

Date: March 20, 2021 17:38

Yes we do. We love you Tina.
You're amazing wonderful absolutely giving it all stage legend. I adore you. We love you Tina!!!!

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: March 20, 2021 18:32

Saw "The Ike And Tina Turner Revue" first time 1972 or 1973 in Frankfurt.

Great - Great - Great!

Date: March 20, 2021 22:14

Certainly not the first with this obvious revelatory dynamic as someone who also adores our Michael Phillip, it's more than fair to say that Mick's hungry, passionate eyes were dead eyed focused on how James at TAMI, then Tina the whole tour in 69. I mean, isn't it fair to say that his stagemanship took a wild advance in stylistic repertoire and dance in 72?
Even more dramatically rendered in 75.

Tina's presence is Other Worldly Powerhouse.
The Vegas "Comeback" after leaving Ike who had Run the Revue before her, and when she came in, still a teenager actually, is interesting too, if you're a fan.
Just 2 dancers and a show band behind her.
She turned Lennon's Help into a ballad.
It's impossible to rate Tina.
She's Tina. Rating is Tina.
What a passage. It's hard to absorb
I don't wanna read about her not feeling well.
I haven't had the guts to get to David's Blsckstar except one scary track.but will.

Date: March 21, 2021 01:01

Oscar-winning directors of Tina Turner documentary on doing justice to her story

[www.nbcnews.com]

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 25, 2021 00:51

Another good article about the documentary, starting March 27 on HBO in this part of the world.

[www.vanityfair.com]

Date: March 28, 2021 16:33

Love this... Mick and Tina have always had such great chemistry,

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 28, 2021 23:43

Good articles!

I saw Tina with Ike once, regret that I won't have a chance to see her live again.
I want to see this documentary.

She is still processing the abuse, say the filmmakers. That stuff never goes away,
not completely. I like how the doc is in two parts, her hard past, through Ike, and
then her solo act and new life.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 29, 2021 03:27

sweet documentary watched it last night. She was a wonderful performer and her personal challenges did not stop her from reaching most of her goals...well done Tina Turner!!...

Date: March 29, 2021 06:36

Saw this article the other day and forgot to post it (don't know if it was already posted previously).

Tina Turner shares her secrets for being truly happy

[www.today.com]

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 29, 2021 15:35

I saw it, it was great! There's a little of Mick and Keith in there as well in 1981 when Tina explains what she wants to do as a solo act: fill out stadium rock concerts
And Angela Bassett looks stunning at her age

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-29 15:37 by NilsHolgersson.

Date: March 29, 2021 16:18

Interesting Stones related comments from a review by Greg Mitchell.
Looking forward to catching the doc at some point.

"The Tina Turner doc on HBO is quite terrific, though with the usual handful of holes—for example, we jump from her mega-comeback tour to recent years with no explanation of why she quit touring long ago (partly for health reasons, but more than that). Also surprised there was no mention at all of Ike & Tina opening for the Stones on their biggest big tour (and how it came about)—and the major exposure they got in the Gimme Shelter movie which set the stage for their crossover "Proud Mary" success a few months later. Also thought Mick might be interviewed. But overall: a moving tribute. Here is her greatest single, “River Deep and Mountain High,” though a flop in the USA. As the doc shows, it was produced by one horrid person (Phil Spector) after he barred another one of the worst (Ike Turner) from lending a hand"
[gregmitchell.substack.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home