Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Pretenders’ Chrissie Hynde says she’s releasing an album featuring her recent series of Dylan covers
Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 18, 2021 15:44

This should be interesting! I'd love to hear her take on Dylan tunes.

[www.deltaplexnews.com]

Re: OT: The Pretenders’ Chrissie Hynde says she’s releasing an album featuring her recent series of Dylan covers
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 18, 2021 16:04

I love her, but this is such a cliche. She probably feels the same way.

Re: OT: The Pretenders’ Chrissie Hynde says she’s releasing an album featuring her recent series of Dylan covers
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 18, 2021 19:27

I look forward to this - there's not too many Dylan covers I really like by other artists,
but these covers are quite nice and enjoyable as she adds her unique stamp, and her vocals are always great:

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 18, 2021 20:58

Joan Osborne did the same thing a couple years back.

I saw the concert/tour...it was OK. Great voice, but I saw no need to buy the album.

[www.aspentimes.com]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: March 18, 2021 21:19

I love Brian Ferry’s “Dylanesque” album. Some great versions versions of Dylan’s
tunes in there! Now looking forward to hearing Chrissie’s album - it certainly
has the potential to be excellent.

Posted by: kidquick185 ()
Date: March 19, 2021 02:41

Ferry's Tom Thumbs Blues and Make You Feel My Love are outstanding!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 19, 2021 09:47

.... I go to sleeeeeeeep

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 19, 2021 11:08

I'm not sure what purpose this release would serve. I guess it may please some Chrissie Hynde fans who also happen to really like Bob Dylan.

On a side note: An LP of Dylan covers was the final straw for Graham Nash and his membership of The Hollies. The concept certainly didn't appeal to him!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 19, 2021 11:28

Yeah Emma Swift just did the same thing
An album of Dylan covers .... zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Heard her take on I Contain Multitudes and
was tempted ta ring Elenore for some kinda kicks ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 19, 2021 16:54

Just had a listen to a couple of the Dylan stuff and it's O.K. but much prefer The Pretenders like this one, which was probably their last live gig.

Just Chrissie, James and Carwyn in the BBC Garden in London somewhere, last summer.smileys with beer

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 19, 2021 23:01

Back On The Chain Gang - my fave Pretenders song followed by My City Is Gone. Re her Dylan covers, they're nice, but alas, not essential listening beyond the first or second hearings, IMHO. Than, again, very few people capture the essence and nuances of Dylan's songs better than him. The soundtrack and performances for the movie I'm Not There comes close. FYI - the movie I'm Not There is something. Just like Dylan, there's something different to take from it every time you watch. We've played it for folks and they don't get it, do get it, wonder what they got, walk away wondering. Sort of like getting into Dylan himself or the persona of Dylan.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 19, 2021 23:08

crawdaddy
Just had a listen to a couple of the Dylan stuff and it's O.K. but much prefer The Pretenders like this one, which was probably their last live gig.

Just Chrissie, James and Carwyn in the BBC Garden in London somewhere, last summer.smileys with beer

Yeah that was great crawdaddy, and maybe I'm misunderstanding, but why would you say it "was probably their last live gig".
Do you mean ever, as in forever? Or last gig before taking a break and just for the time being during this damn pandemic...
Sure hope you meant the latter, but maybe I missed something in the news.

I saw them at the Arroyo Seco Festival in Pasadena 2018 w/The Specials and Neil Young headlining among several other bands - such a great time.
I also saw her on a solo tour at the Arlington Theater in Santa Barbara in 2014, and I think her backing band was pretty much all current Pretenders members minus Martin Chambers - another fantastic show.

Anyhow, hope to see her and/or them again some day...so many great tunes. thumbs up

*And I wish I could have seen the original lineup with James Honeyman-Scott and Pete Farndon (RIP to both) as I've loved them since the beginning, but unfortunately never did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-19 23:12 by Hairball.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 20, 2021 02:08

Sorry about not making it clear but was probably last live gig from them until we hear them again live in the not too distant future hopefully.

James had done a few gigs since then with his pal Peter Bruntnell.

This was just one song they did on a 30-45 minute gig in BBC garden which was on BBC iPlayer for about a month last summer.
Don't think it's around now,even on youtube.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home