Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Tragic Absence of a Great '72 Live Release
Posted by: ShootsWaterRats ()
Date: March 21, 2021 01:01

Tornandfrayed
Sadly, only the Texas & Philly runs were professionally recorded (7 shows in total).

Tornandfrayed, I'm curious if you make this comment simply because those are the only professionally recorded '72 shows you've heard, or if you have definite confirmation that no other shows from the tour were recorded?

Posted by: ShootsWaterRats ()
Date: March 21, 2021 01:03

Tornandfrayed, I'm curious if you make this comment simply because those are the only professionally recorded '72 shows you've heard, or if you have definite confirmation that no other shows from the tour were recorded?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: March 21, 2021 01:16

GhostTown2021
Taylor1
... those boring Chuck Berry boogies...

Man, I'm speechless! How did you ever get turned on by the Stones?
Well, each to his own and certainly no disrespect, just totally different taste than mine.

I also have to kindly disagree with Taylor1, but Little Queenie (alongside Rambler, Sympathy, jack Flash) totally rocks on Ya Yas.

Lester Bangs who reviewed Ya Yas in 1970, in my opinion was right on the money with this assessment:...."but “Little Queenie” as done here is alltime classic Stones. Just strutting along, leering and shuffling, the song has all the loose, lipsmacking glee its lyrics ever implied. This kind of gutty, almost offhand, seemingly effortless funk is where the Stones have traditionally left all competitors in the dust, and here they outdo themselves. I even think that this is one of those rare instances (most of the others are on their first album) where they cut Chuck Berry with one of his own songs."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-21 01:17 by Sighunt.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 21, 2021 01:43

Lester Bangs also said Goats head Soup and Black n Blue sucked.I find his reviews from that era wrong mostly

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: March 21, 2021 01:50

Let It Rock from Leeds '71 is a solid a rocker as the Stones ever played live. The Stones could almost out-Chuck Chuck!!!!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 22, 2021 14:18

ShootsWaterRats
Tornandfrayed
Sadly, only the Texas & Philly runs were professionally recorded (7 shows in total).

VideoJames mentioned years ago there was an uncirculated incomplete film from Boston. There's also never been any satisfactory answer as to whether the NYC Cavitt show clips were take from a longer recording.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 22, 2021 14:51

I still recollect how blown-away I was upon listening to Ya-Ya's for the very-first time. To this day, it's still my favourite live release. I love Brussels Affair, Leeds ’71 and ’82, and the Stripped releases, but there's something so special about their performances during that U.S. '69 tour. Taylor's playing is spot-on: exhilarating, yet not overdoing it. I had no idea quite how competent a soloist he was until hearing Ya-Ya’s. He’s so much more subdued on the studio releases.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 22, 2021 17:20

I haven't listened in probably a year or so but the overdubs on Get Your Motor Running didn't bother me. In part because it's not a finished mix, so obviously it would have sounded better had they finished it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 22, 2021 17:29

Now it doesn't matter. There is so much stuff out there anyway. But at the time the "live gap" between 1969 and 1976 was noticeable.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 23, 2021 19:04

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
ShootsWaterRats
In recent years, the Stones have released archival shows from '71 and '73. The general understanding seems to be that Mick calls the shots on many of these things, and that he isn't inclined to revisit history in much depth -- so I'm guessing he figures that "Ladies and Gentlemen" adequately represents '72, and that there's no need to supplement it.

Think again!

There are multiple releases from tours. The 1981 tour has STILL LIFE, HAMPTON and LIVE AT LEEDS.

The 1975-76 tours have LOVE YOU LIVE and L.A. FRIDAY.

The BRIDGES tours have NO SECURITY, BREMEN and BUENOS AIRES.

1989 has FLASHPOINT, TOKYO and ATLANTIC CITY.

A 1972 show could happen. Just don't hold your breath.

Also San Jose 99.
San Jose is the Stones on fire and really show cassing the Graetest Rock and Roll Band in the World

Date: March 23, 2021 19:12

What's the offical release from 1973 ? That one has such a clear and crisp sound . The one where Mick Jagger says "It's a guitar assault "

Date: March 23, 2021 19:15

DandelionPowderman
yearsinthemaking
Keith's singing seems to be at a level that he never reached on any of the other versions of Happy during the '72 tour. For example the outtake version from one of the other Texas shows is much more similar to all of the other versions vocally. It's not as obvious to me as Happy on LYL. I'm not certain that it is a vocal overdub but it's just sonically so much better than any other STP show from a vocal standpoint

It's sonically better because it was professionally recorded. I hear no difference in quality on the L&G version than, say Mobile or Charlotte. Although it's been a while since I listened to my boots.
I would like to add that I have never had a problem with either the movie it self or the stand alone soundtrack release on CD .

Date: March 23, 2021 19:59

yearsinthemaking
Let It Rock from Leeds '71 is a solid a rocker as the Stones ever played live. The Stones could almost out-Chuck Chuck!!!!
Because they are the greatest band . Now having said that If Chuck Berry actually had his original guys he would have smoked most . That was his Achilles heel , darn shame as he was awesome !!!!!!!!!!

Date: March 23, 2021 20:00

TheGreek
What's the offical release from 1973 ? That one has such a clear and crisp sound . The one where Mick Jagger says "It's a guitar assault "
Answer Brussels as that is one of there finest shows ever !

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: March 23, 2021 20:43

What about the guitar into to love in vain ? I always thought that sounded funny . Is that an overdub or just bad mix / effect ?

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1638
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home