Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Tragic Absence of a Great '72 Live Release
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 19, 2021 14:47

S.T.P
dcba
Not really, cassette copies of the multitracks have been circulating since 1975... and unlike the recent flood of new studio material they're not mp3-sourced. grinning smiley

Are you refering to the few tracks with overdubs that exist on boots like "Keep Your Motor Running" or something else?

Yeah, I believe so.

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: March 19, 2021 15:53

The overdubs on the "Keep Your Motor Running" boot are terrible. They are so obvious and poorly done. I can't imagine those were anything other than raw early efforts that were not seriously considered for release. The overdubs on GYYYO and LYL are more polished but are still often awful (Happy and Keith adding backing for Tumbling Dice!!!)

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 19, 2021 15:53

24FPS
Just give us a great 'Rocks Off' live from '72.

RO should have been added to L&G as a bonus song. I've listened to it on yoUtUbe and I can't hear any problems with it confused smiley

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 19, 2021 16:11

TravelinMan
S.T.P
dcba
Not really, cassette copies of the multitracks have been circulating since 1975... and unlike the recent flood of new studio material they're not mp3-sourced. grinning smiley

Are you refering to the few tracks with overdubs that exist on boots like "Keep Your Motor Running" or something else?

Yeah, I believe so.

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

OK, I'm gratefull anyway. Thanks a lotthumbs up

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 19, 2021 16:35

yearsinthemaking
The overdubs on the "Keep Your Motor Running" boot are terrible. They are so obvious and poorly done. I can't imagine those were anything other than raw early efforts that were not seriously considered for release. The overdubs on GYYYO and LYL are more polished but are still often awful (Happy and Keith adding backing for Tumbling Dice!!!)

The overdubs on Ya Ya's are not awful at all...in any way. It has only been for a few particular audio nutters to pick apart the overdubs for anyone to notice.
99.9% of listeners wouldnt even know there were overdubs...well done I say.

Agree with the Keep The Motor Running...these are noticeable and terrible!

Note also - many overdubs on L&G Video/dvd releaee!!!

Its just a farce...

Date: March 19, 2021 18:36

I'm sure the sound on Ladies & Gentlemen could be improved. I think the Stones just didn't really care that much about it and they didn't bother trying to improve its sound. I've seen people on youtube posting songs from the show after tweaking the sound here and there and it sounded like the recording suddenly came to life. Almost like a new live recording.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 19, 2021 20:08

I agreed for a great '72 release and I would add a 1970 show as well...

HMN

Date: March 19, 2021 22:17

Eleanor Rigby
yearsinthemaking

The overdubs on Ya Ya's are not awful at all...in any way. It has only been for a few particular audio nutters to pick apart the overdubs for anyone to notice.
99.9% of listeners wouldnt even know there were overdubs...well done I say.

Agree with the Keep The Motor Running...these are noticeable and terrible!

Note also - many overdubs on L&G Video/dvd releaee!!!

Its just a farce...

Are you sure about L&G overdubs?

Remember that they used footage from several shows. That's why sound and pictures are not in sync quite often

I can't hear any instrument overdubs, but I don't know about the vocals.

Date: March 19, 2021 22:32

I think the overdubs in L&G are limited to Happy. There may be others. As far as GYYYO I think the main issue is that they are just unnecessary. It's a live show. Why fake it? They are tasteful as opposed to many of them on LYL

Date: March 19, 2021 22:37

I like overdubs if they use it to fix something that went wrong, but when they start reorganize a song with backup vocals like on SFM in '69 and TD or ADTL one Keep Your Motor Running, I'm out!

Date: March 19, 2021 22:51

yearsinthemaking
I think the overdubs in L&G are limited to Happy. There may be others. As far as GYYYO I think the main issue is that they are just unnecessary. It's a live show. Why fake it? They are tasteful as opposed to many of them on LYL

What do you think is overdubbed on Happy?

Date: March 19, 2021 23:07

Keith's singing seems to be at a level that he never reached on any of the other versions of Happy during the '72 tour. For example the outtake version from one of the other Texas shows is much more similar to all of the other versions vocally. It's not as obvious to me as Happy on LYL. I'm not certain that it is a vocal overdub but it's just sonically so much better than any other STP show from a vocal standpoint

Date: March 19, 2021 23:10

DandelionPowderman
yearsinthemaking

What do you think is overdubbed on Happy?

Vocals? -and it's a darn good version. Best there is IMO. If one compare the boots to this version, it's very strange if it's done without overdubs.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 20, 2021 00:36

This talk about overdubs on Get Yer Ya Ya’sOut is kind of overblown .Listening to the bootlegs,none of the instruments were overdubbed except the rhythm guitars on Carol and Little Queenie.And it’s not even noticeable on these two weakest tracks on the album.L&G has no instrumental overdubs, but the sound is horrible

Date: March 20, 2021 00:53

yearsinthemaking
Keith's singing seems to be at a level that he never reached on any of the other versions of Happy during the '72 tour. For example the outtake version from one of the other Texas shows is much more similar to all of the other versions vocally. It's not as obvious to me as Happy on LYL. I'm not certain that it is a vocal overdub but it's just sonically so much better than any other STP show from a vocal standpoint

It's sonically better because it was professionally recorded. I hear no difference in quality on the L&G version than, say Mobile or Charlotte. Although it's been a while since I listened to my boots.

Posted by: Lil' Brian ()
Date: March 20, 2021 01:45

Any chance we could see an Exile remix ala last years GHS? That and a live show would be very ok with me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-20 01:45 by Lil' Brian.

Date: March 20, 2021 01:47

I'm just referring to Keith's voice. He sings considerably better than the other Texas shows, The Philadelphia shows and Pittsburgh. I almost wonder if the whole performance of Happy is a studio rehearsal of the song that maybe they pasted into L&G because the audience sounds like an addition to the song more so than the rest of the movie. Just an observation which may be completely false

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 20, 2021 02:30

>Carol and Little Queenie. And it’s not even noticeable on these two weakest tracks on the album

They are, in my opinion, by a long shot, the BEST songs on the album.

Most of the time, I read what is written here and just shake my head in wonder.

jb

Date: March 20, 2021 02:53

I shake my head at you dude.Sympathy for the Devil, Midnight Rambler , Street Fighting Man, Live With Me blow those boring Chuck Berry boogies away,.Sympathy particularly, and Midnight have awesome guitars .I will thrown in Satisfaction too from the deluxe addition

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-20 02:54 by Taylor1.

Date: March 20, 2021 09:35

SFM is the weakest track on Ya-Ya's, imo.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 20, 2021 10:40

jbwelda
>Carol and Little Queenie. And it’s not even noticeable on these two weakest tracks on the album

They are, in my opinion, by a long shot, the BEST songs on the album.

"Carol" is good with a nice groove but LQ...

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: March 20, 2021 11:36

Sadly, only the Texas & Philly runs were professionally recorded (7 shows in total). To me, it appears the Ft. Worth & Houston material was lost / thrown away during the production of the L&G movie, otherwise I am sure they would have remixed the audio for the 2010 re-release and maybe would have added bonus content as Eagle Rock did for all other releases. Instead, the audio released on the L&G DVD / BR sounds like something they found on a cassette rescued from a studio dumpster.

As for overdubs, only the backing vocals during Dead Flowers, all vocals during Happy and the sax at the beginning of Gimme Shelter are overdubbed.
Happy is obviuosly overdubbed, there are spots in the movie where Keith is "singing" and he is not anywhere near the mike.
The same take of YCAGWYW from L&G (Houston 06-25 1st) also appears on Keep Your Motor Running with overdubbed vocals during the choruses. In the movie however, the full original vocals are intact. Agree that the vocal overdubs which were prepared for the nixed ´72 live album sound terrible and "fake" especially on Tumbling Dice. Mick even overdubbed Rip This Joint (!).

Date: March 20, 2021 11:37

I would like any soundboard or professionally recorded showsthey have in the vaults from my favorite tours:1973Europe, 1972 America, 1989America, 1975 America,1969 America, 1971Europe, 1967 Europe, 1978 America.Most of the officially released live shows aren’t the best of those tours

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-20 11:40 by Taylor1.

Date: March 20, 2021 13:08

<Happy is obviuosly overdubbed, there are spots in the movie where Keith is "singing" and he is not anywhere near the mike>
That's been discussed countless times. They filmed different shows and didn't sync the footage - hence Keith would be nowhere near the mic (or wear a different shirt, for that matter).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-20 13:09 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 20, 2021 15:08

S.T.P
I like overdubs if they use it to fix something that went wrong, but when they start reorganize a song with backup vocals like on SFM in '69 and TD or ADTL one Keep Your Motor Running, I'm out!

Or completely change the vocal performance of a song, like they did with Jumpin' Jack Flash on GYYYO.

Date: March 20, 2021 15:45

The Stones at their best have absolutely no need for overdubs. Leave that to studio recordings that you can layer, replace or eliminate parts as you see fit. Live recordings are just that, live and imperfect. The shows from '69-'73 could not be any better. The '71 tour shows are the best example of their skills as live musicians with spontaneity and energy that they show during that entire era on stage. '72-'73 are continuations of the '71 tour but only a little more constrained by the size of the venues and the expectations of being "the greatest rock and roll band" and playing the US and all of Europe. Recordings from this period are perfect for their documentations of an amazing touring band with flaws and occasional miscues (a la Gimme Shelter in Pittsburgh). Hell, they even tuned their on instruments on stage. It's a time period that deserves more releases as opposed to the later releases that lack most of the above descriptions

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 20, 2021 17:45

I guess all in all , Tho I've had
Shit VHS copies almost 40 years ago..
...and very shit sattelite Live thing you went to a movie theater for about 10 or 15 years ago which sucked so bad that I just left.

But I did see two stops live.
And the Quad l&g uptown when it premiered and thought that the audio was Amazing!!!!!!

I like Bitch from L&G that's on YouTube.
I guess I'm really just grateful that we got what we got.
Cause no one would believe that that could happen like that.

Billy Preston was Great in Brussels.
No doubt.

But Nicky, Stu, Bobby, Jim and the boys only really toured once I think.

And those are the Golden Era cats

Date: March 20, 2021 18:03

I'm pretty sure the audio was amazing back then indeed.

It's the quad-stereo transfer that perhaps didn't go down too well, I guess. Some of it sounds good, though (Sweet Virginia ie)

Date: March 20, 2021 22:20

If there is one tour that deservs massive coverage it's the american tour '72. This is the tour that should have had its own tour box set. They've got probably most of the concerts recorded, and it would have been great to be able to listen to all the variations from day to day, and really go "all in" and study it in depth.

Posted by: GhostTown2021 ()
Date: March 20, 2021 23:43

Taylor1
... those boring Chuck Berry boogies...

Man, I'm speechless! How did you ever get turned on by the Stones?
Well, each to his own and certainly no disrespect, just totally different taste than mine.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home