Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Benefit - Jethro Tull
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 16, 2021 14:33

-A bit harsher than the great "Stand Up". Their songwriting leaves a bit to be desired. It`s sour, sometimes. It`s nadir is "Alive And Well And Living In", bordering to sheer noise. No wonder it was replaced by "Teacher" in the US edition. "Inside" is great. As implied, the rest has an element of pain/pleasure about it.

Re: OT: Benefit - Jethro Tull
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 16, 2021 15:21

My favorite track is probably "For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me." Written in the wake of the Apollo 11 moon landing, it finds an interesting similarity between Collins, who was "left behind" in the Command Module while Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon, and Jeffrey Hammond, Anderson's friend from the early days, who was left behind when Ian and the boys achieved fame and fortune.

I wonder what Glenn Cornick thought of this track. Imagine having to play bass on a song about the lead singer wishing that someone else (his best friend) could take your job. And on the very next album (Aqualung), Hammond did exactly that.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 16, 2021 18:27

One of the greatest albums of all time imo, and if that was the only album they ever released, it should be enough to get them in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Every track is great, and To Cry You a Song has always been a favorite of mine from any band....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-16 18:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 16, 2021 19:08

I saw these guys way back in 1972 in Rotterdam. It was the Aqualung album that inspired me to do so. The Doelen Hall is known to have great acoustics, but Jethro Tull decided to go full power. It was a very enjoyable concert, but it left me with a strong beep in my hearing for almost a week. It was the last time I went to concerts without ear protection grinning smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 16, 2021 22:44

georgie48
I saw these guys way back in 1972 in Rotterdam. It was the Aqualung album that inspired me to do so. The Doelen Hall is known to have great acoustics, but Jethro Tull decided to go full power. It was a very enjoyable concert, but it left me with a strong beep in my hearing for almost a week. It was the last time I went to concerts without ear protection grinning smiley

Kudos to you for realizing the value of ear protection already by 1972!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1941
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home