Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Classic Albums Greater Than The Stones' 'Big Four'
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 16, 2021 12:02

I’ve been pondering: are the Stones’ ‘Big Four’ necessarily the best L.P. releases of their respective year. For example: is Beggars Banquet a greater release than The Beatles (White Album)? How does Let it Bleed hold-up against the mighty Abbey Road? For myself, it’s Sticky Fingers that poses the dilemma. I really think it’s such a tremendous record, but I partly feel that Who’s Next is a stronger release. Everything is subjective of course, and your favourite may not even be one of the 1968-1972 releases. It may be Some Girls, for instance; but how does that compare to Darkness on the Edge of Town?

Re: Classic Albums Greater Than The Stones' 'Big Four'
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 16, 2021 12:59

hard to beat Bob Dylan's big four in a row:
Binging It All Back Home / Highway 61 Revisited / Blonde On Blonde / John Wesley Harding

Date: March 16, 2021 13:03

slewan
Binging It All Back Home / Highway 61 Revisited / Blonde On Blonde / John Wesley Harding

And each of those Dylan releases are greater in quality and impact than the Stones' efforts from the respective years, in my opinion.

*Actually: I'm not so sure about John Wesley Harding.

Date: March 16, 2021 13:06

To summarise: are the Stones' 'Big Four' the greatest releases from their respective years? 1968, 1969, 1971 and 1972.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 16, 2021 13:19

in 1968 Jimi Hendrix released Electric Ladyland… (any more questions?)

Date: March 16, 2021 13:22

slewan
in 1968 Jimi Hendrix released Electric Ladyland… (any more questions?)

Nope! You've basically stated you feel that Electric Ladyland is the greater release. You've for the right idea. I'll politely disagree with your pick, however.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 16, 2021 13:26

1968 - Electric Ladyland. Sonically and songwise streets ahead of anything else.

1969 - Let It Bleed. Abbey Road runs a close second but is let down by a few duffers on side 1.

1971 - Sticky Fingers/Who's Next tie at No 1.

1972 - Exile On Main Street. Nothing else comes near.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 16, 2021 13:29

John Wesley Harding? No, thanks. And I won´t come back until it says 1974. And between 1968 and 1973...things were taken care of by The Rolling Stones...cool smiley

Date: March 16, 2021 13:34

Good post, Silver Dagger.

I feel Let it Bleed just edges Abbey Road, too.

I think Sticky Fingers and Who's Next are quite evenly matched, yet the former is just a teeny weeny bit weaker, for me. It's mightily close, though. Actually, 1971 is probably the year for landmark, 'classic rock' releases.

I suspect you're right regarding 1972. Aside from Dark Side of the Moon, I can't think, offhand, what other seminal releases there were.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: March 16, 2021 13:41

For me it's like comparing apples and pears. Both are fantastic. Why should you compare that? Everybody should know for themselves what they prefer.

Date: March 16, 2021 13:53

BlueTurns2Grey
For me it's like comparing apples and pears. Both are fantastic. Why should you compare that? Everybody should know for themselves what they prefer.

It's fun to discuss, I think. I like to read and appreciate the views of others. Who knows? Maybe I'll discover some 'new' old music. Many here have vaster knowledge and bigger record collections than I, I am sure.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 16, 2021 14:06

Tommy, live at Leeds, Who's Next, Quadrophenia

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 16, 2021 14:12

Big Al
Good post, Silver Dagger.

I feel Let it Bleed just edges Abbey Road, too.

I think Sticky Fingers and Who's Next are quite evenly matched, yet the former is just a teeny weeny bit weaker, for me. It's mightily close, though. Actually, 1971 is probably the year for landmark, 'classic rock' releases.

I suspect you're right regarding 1972. Aside from Dark Side of the Moon, I can't think, offhand, what other seminal releases there were.

Hi Al,

Dark Side Of The Moon was taken on the road by the Floyd in 72 but the album came out in 73.

Date: March 16, 2021 14:13

peoplewitheyes
Tommy, live at Leeds, Who's Next, Quadrophenia

All Who releases? Really? I'm guessing you consider Goat's Head Soup to be one of the Stones' 'Big Four', then.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: March 16, 2021 14:23

Big Al, with all respect but I think you should stop comparing.
And start more enjoying.
May and probably be I'm totally wrong but can it be you compare so much because your ratio fights aginst your feelings?
You feelings say: Yes! These albums! My Stones! Your ratio says: Let us put those feelings in boxes and cases and categories.
Just rock and roll and let yourself free.
It's the Rolling Stones, not the Analysing Stones.
I have to give this advice myself from time time.

Date: March 16, 2021 14:28

caschimann
Big Al, with all respect but I think you should stop comparing.
And start more enjoying.
May and probably be I'm totally wrong but can it be you compare so much because your ratio fights aginst your feelings?
You feelings say: Yes! These albums! My Stones! Your ratio says: Let us put those feelings in boxes and cases and categories.
Just rock and roll and let yourself free.
It's the Rolling Stones, not the Analysing Stones.
I have to give this advice myself from time time.

I 'get' what you're saying, caschimann, I really do. I suppose there is an anal, analytical side to me, for sure. However, really, I just wished to create a discussion and comparrisson on our favourite albums from that pivotal period.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 16, 2021 15:06

slewan

How about Stevie Wonder's Big Four?

Talking Book
Innervisions
Fulfillingness' First Finale
Songs in the Key of Life

Date: March 16, 2021 15:18

King Crimson's run of albums is hard to beat.

In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)
In the Wake of Poseidon (1970)
Lizard (1970)
Islands (1971)
Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 16, 2021 15:20

Going with what is perceived to be 'better' than what I prefer, because as a dyed in the wool stones fan that would be easy.

1968: Electric Ladyland. I think if Jumpin' Jack Flash had been on the album, you may even have had Beggar's considered the strongest Stones album.

1969: I think this is toughest, as you've got Let it Bleed up against what is widely considered the best Beatles album, and my favourite Beatles. I think I have to give the edge to Abbey Road. Again, adding Honky Tonk Women to LIB would have strengthened it. Led Zeppelin II is in the top tier as well.

1971: Sticky Fingers. It's unassailable. Who's Next is amazing but doesn't have the depth or variety. Marvin Gaye's, What's Goin On? and Led Zeppelin IV would also be a contender for the top.

1972: Exile on Main Street

Posted by: filbert ()
Date: March 16, 2021 15:25

what's crazy is the high quality level of the debate and the diversity of the material being mentioned. Each successive 10 year jump forward seems to produce less variety. As for the debate itself hard not to have music from big pink in the 1968 conversation and CSN debut in 1969 the successive releases of which turned the direction of music.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 16, 2021 15:27

GHS, Black and Blue, Some girls and Undercover..................drinking smiley

Date: March 16, 2021 15:31

EddieByword
GHS, Black and Blue, Some girls and Undercover..................drinking smiley

I know this will seem heretical but I would have preferred some surgery on the original GHS and adding the three new cuts which I love.

Had that occurred, we'd be referring to that period as the BIG FIVE.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 16, 2021 15:32

An overlooked gem from the era - CCR's "Cosmos Factory" - practically a greatest hits album ala "Thriller".

Date: March 16, 2021 15:33

Elmo Lewis
An overlooked gem from the era - CCR's "Cosmos Factory" - practically a greatest hits album ala "Thriller".

Excellent...came out in 1970 though so technically doesn't match one of the year's of the big 4 releases.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 16, 2021 15:41

tatters
slewan

Talking Book
Innervisions
Songs in the Key of Life

Quite right, a fantastic run (you could add "Music of My Mind"). Have to mention Van Morrison's 5-disc string: Astral Weeks through St. Dominic's Preview (1968-72). Remember when bands put out a new disc every year? Now we get a live album and a Greatest Hits every 25 years....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-16 15:56 by KSIE.

Date: March 16, 2021 15:48

KSIE
tatters
slewan

Talking Book
Innervisions
Songs in the Key of Life

Quite right, a fantastic run (you could add "Music of My Mind). Have to mention Van Morrison's 5-disc string: Astral Weeks through St. Dominic's Preview (1968=72). Remember when bands put out a new disc every year? Now we get a live album and a Greatest Hits every 25 years....

Elton John had a pretty good run, too, though I'm not sure what would be considered his Big Four in a row. Maybe Honky Chateau, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Caribou?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-16 15:51 by tatters.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 16, 2021 15:57

slewan
hard to beat Bob Dylan's big three in a row:

3 to 4 : the Stones win!

Date: March 16, 2021 16:02

Silver Dagger

Hi Al,

Dark Side Of The Moon was taken on the road by the Floyd in 72 but the album came out in 73.

The one album I think of, and it isn't even released in the same year! eye rolling smiley

Date: March 16, 2021 16:05

I see my thread is evolving into being about other artists and groups' 'Big 4'

Regarding 1972: is there no single album that, at least, runs Exile on Main Street close? I've just had a quick browse: I don't think there's a contender, actually.

Date: March 16, 2021 16:30

Big Al
Regarding 1972: is there no single album that, at least, runs Exile on Main Street close? I've just had a quick browse: I don't think there's a contender, actually.

Agreed. No other album released in 1972 rises to that level. I'd put Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything? as a distant second.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-16 16:31 by tatters.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1332
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home