Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
wasted opportunities '82/'82?
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 14, 2021 23:38

Wow! The band were smoking, and with so much great material. Most of Undercover album is excellent, and now we hear the sensational Still in Love, Tried to Talk Her Into It, Cooking Up...

Undercover could easily have been an amazing double album, or they could have waited and put out another disk in 1983 or 84 that would have been stellar.

What are your favourites from '82?

Where was the band's head at then?

Still in Love is just fan-bloody-tastic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-15 11:54 by peoplewitheyes.

Re: How hot were The Stones in '82?
Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 15, 2021 00:18

I thought it was their tour ever. Hate the 80's. Undercover blows.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 15, 2021 02:40

Brunswick St Fitzroy 13 March 2021 .................. Photo Rockeeeeeeeeeeeee

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 15, 2021 03:20

How hot were The Stones in '82?

Almost as hot as they were in '81, but not quite.

I liked a few from Undercover, but generally speaking it seems to signal the end of a long run of mostly greatness, and the downward spiral had begun.
I also liked a few tunes from all the subsequent latter era albums, but there was never an album I loved in full from start to finish as was the case with quite a few pre-'82 albums.

In short, I consider '82 as The Great Divide between the pre-'82 vs. post '82 eras.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 15, 2021 03:27

Undercover was released in late 1983. Stones European tour 82 was a continuation of the 81 Tattoo You tour of the US as well as the release of Still Life in 82.
Wasn't a huge fan of Undercover album, haven't listened to it in ages. Did like She Was Hot.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 15, 2021 04:56

Very! The end of an era, really.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 15, 2021 05:45

LOVE Undercover album
.... 12" of Undercover is
a killer just like the video ...
Then ya got Too Much ... Tie U UP Pain ...
She WAS hot hhhhhaaaa and that Vid tooooo...
Feel On and its glorious dubby 12" ....album b-side rockers LURV IT ALL ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 15, 2021 08:58

I find Undercover to be a decent album. It’s certainly better than Dirty Work and the preceding effort, Emotional Rescue. It isn’t as good as Tattoo You, however; in my opinion, the Stones’ last four-star album. I’d give Undercover a respectable 3.5 stars.

Date: March 15, 2021 09:01

Actually, no. I would give Undercover 3 stars, with the caveat being that it’s, by far, their best 3-star effort!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 15, 2021 09:08

Take Undercover of the Night off the album, throw away the rest. (Although She Was Hot is not a bad B-side). And yes, the album had nothing to do with the '82 Stones we heard from the Roundhay DVD. They were smokin' on that European tour. Not as good as '73, but pretty damn good.

I didn't realize at the time, but sometimes Europe got the better band. America always got them first, starting in 1969, but Europe got them when they were greased up and ready to go. It's like they came to the U.S. for the money, and to get the kinks out.

Re: wasted opportunities '82/'82?
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 15, 2021 12:02

Sorry, but none of those outtakes are great songs or innovative.They are interesting.

Date: March 15, 2021 12:02

She Was Hot was an A-side, and rightfully so, imo.

What is it that I'm hearing here, that you're not hearing, 24FPS? I hear a great band and a great song. perhaps Keith's coolest playing ever, too.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 15, 2021 13:23

She was Hot ,especially the extended version is a great song.Nothing from these outtakes is as good

Date: March 15, 2021 13:29

I think Still in Love is close to a stone cold classic. Not to cliched, great vocals from both Mick and Keith, hooks a plenty. Love it!

Cooking Up and Tried to Talk Her .. . are no less throwaway than about half of Some Girls album

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 15, 2021 14:56

They still had plenty of song ideas (more than I thought before these tracks leaked) and demos, but Mick and Keith weren't working together well enough to put together good records, unless it was a paint by numbers song like She Was Hot, or if Mick took over the record like on Undercover of the Night and Too Much Blood.
Although I do love All the Way Down (I was being Mr. Cool, just a snotty little fool).

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 15, 2021 15:05

peoplewitheyes
Wow! The band were smoking, and with so much great material. Most of Undercover album is excellent, and now we hear the sensational Still in Love, Tried to Talk Her Into It, Cooking Up...

Imo Jagger badly wanted UC to be contemporary. Hence lyrically the reference to the situation in Latin America or the horrible story of the Japanese cannibal.
And musically he became fully aware of the burgeoning "world music" scene that was taking off in Paris. Basically you just neeed to take a cab to the Northern area of Paris to listen to genuine African music. Maybe Mick did...
[en.wikipedia.org])

The consequence on the album was the classic rock tunes were ditched (apart from "he Was Hot") in favor of more complex tunes with a "creolized" sound.

And I think Mick was right : "Tried to Talk Her Into It" or "Cooking Up" are 101 uni-dimensional rockers that sound like ER outtakes.

Date: March 15, 2021 15:50

dcba, there's some agreeable points there regarding Mick's desire to sound contemporary on Undercover Bridges to Babylon being, in my opinion, the only subsequent effort whereby Jagger was genuinely striven to record and L.P. that's somewhat modern-sounding and generally, very contemporary. Dirty Work possessed the unfortunate production of it's time, though it's not particularly 'modern'; although, Back to Zero is perhaps. Terrible track, mind. Steel Wheels, again, has the production relevant to the late 80's, and, of course, Voodoo Lounge is a definite attempt at harking-back to and paying homage to their creative yesteryear.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: March 15, 2021 17:34

Rockman
LOVE Undercover album

I am in total agreement with this post! Undercover rules from beginning to end

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 15, 2021 18:29

In the summer of 1982 they toured Europe. I don't think they did much else that year. But maybe they did?

Date: March 15, 2021 18:51

Stoneage
In the summer of 1982 they toured Europe. I don't think they did much else that year. But maybe they did?

I think all the 1982 recordings in this leak might be the reason for this thread. Good stuff thumbs up

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 15, 2021 19:37

Okay, I didn't know the recordings were from 1982. Spring or fall?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 15, 2021 20:09

Stoneage

They spent about two months in the studio, mid October to mid December.

Date: March 15, 2021 23:03

I just put together a playlist of all the '82 stuff on FFSO and called it ''Wasted Opportunities'', it sounds great right now, locked down on a Cretan mountainside.

I realised one of the things missing from post 89 Stones is the pure joy of hearing Jagger singing wasted.

He does it in spades on >>>>> Dreams to Remember.<<<<<< Full freestyle, jacked up and loose.

The guitars and piano on this are pretty great too.

Who plays piano on this and the fabulous Part of the Night (which has a speeded up All About You echo in it)?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-15 23:09 by peoplewitheyes.

Date: March 15, 2021 23:39

They were still masters of the soulful, groovy ballad The mournful strut of Beast of Burden, and sweet melancholy of Memory Motel and Fool to Cry was still strong and authentic in 82 - Can't Find Love (definitely cut from the same cloth as Think I'm Going Mad), Still in Love etc

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 16, 2021 03:26

coffeepotman
Rockman
LOVE Undercover album

I am in total agreement with this post! Undercover rules from beginning to end

Absolutely.

The post from DandelionPowderman caused me to listen to the entire album. Even the sequence is excellent.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 16, 2021 03:31

DandelionPowderman

What is it that I'm hearing here, that you're not hearing, 24FPS? I hear a great band and a great song. perhaps Keith's coolest playing ever, too.

[www.youtube.com]

One of the more clever mixes is when the drums come back in after the breakdown - it's the room mic only. Fantastic guitaring on this tune, one of their finest ever.

Date: March 16, 2021 03:34

...and Bill made it sound easy.

Was it Wayne Perkins or Wayne Shorter that played with them on this?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 16, 2021 03:37

shattered

On what.

Posted by: 24FPS ()

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

She Was Hot is a b-level Stones cut. It's the retread Chuck Berry sound. Nothing new or original about it, as compared to Undercover of the Night, which is a great, innovative work. The rest of the album is meh.

GasLightStreet
shattered

On what.

Sorry, Undercover.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2184
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home