Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: are Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones worth my money
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 13, 2021 23:23

okay i'm sure everyones tired of my endless headphone threads but please indulge me one last time
Irix noted here iorr that keith uses these and i am in need of new headphones so was wondering if anyone has these and if they are worth what they cost and if not whats better for listning on my computer/phone

here they are on amazon
amazon

Re: OT: are Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones worth my money
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 14, 2021 00:25

Some reviews: [www.TechRadar.com] , [www.Head-Fi.org] , [www.Wired.com] , [9to5mac.com] , [www.Thomann.de] .

There're also 24,739 ratings on [www.Amazon.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-14 00:35 by Irix.

Date: March 14, 2021 00:26

thank you irix

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 14, 2021 10:12

Yes they are.
In that price category you can't find anything better IMO.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 14, 2021 10:21

I have those, and they're fantastic, even though I prefer music through speakers, generally, them ATH headphones is my go-to now.

Date: March 15, 2021 22:17

okay i've been reading through the reviews and now i'm a little unsure if these are right for my purpose
what i've gleamed is these are great as
monitor headphones which is what i bet keith uses them mainly for but maybe not so good as personal listning headphones which is what i would use them as
so does anyone have any suggestions for a good wired (detachable cable) pair of headphones for listening on phone/computer/cassette walkman price range is $200 vintage headphones would be fine to and i don't minded if they're heavy as long as they sound good

Date: March 15, 2021 23:15

ProfessorWolf

so does anyone have any suggestions for a good wired (detachable cable) pair of headphones for listening on phone/computer/cassette walkman price range is $200

Maybe: Grado SR80e or Sennheiser HD 560S or AKG K702 ?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 16, 2021 16:39

I've had a pair for years and the pads wore out and I'm getting black bits everywhere. Need to replace the pads. They're a good pair of on-the-go headphones otherwise. They are closed so you can listen to music or record with them. They are comfortable as well.

I have Sennheiser HD's for work. They are much better for reference purposes like mixing and mastering.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-16 16:40 by TravelinMan.

Date: March 16, 2021 22:36

Re: OT: are Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones worth my money new
Date: March 15, 2021 23:15

ProfessorWolf

so does anyone have any suggestions for a good wired (detachable cable) pair of headphones for listening on phone/computer/cassette walkman price range is $200

Maybe: Grado SR80e or Sennheiser HD 560S or AKG K702 ?

Options: Reply To This Message•Quote This Message•Follow This Thread•Report This Message
Date: March 16, 2021 16:39

I've had a pair for years and the pads wore out and I'm getting black bits everywhere. Need to replace the pads. They're a good pair of on-the-go headphones otherwise. They are closed so you can listen to music or record with them. They are comfortable as well.

I have Sennheiser HD's for work. They are much better for reference purposes like mixing and mastering.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-16 16:40 by TravelinMan.

the sennheiser and grado look pretty good to me

also i've read that the ath-m40x maybe better for just personal listening can anyone attest to that

and thanks to everyone for responding i really appreciate your advice

Date: March 17, 2021 11:25

ProfessorWolf

also i've read that the ath-m40x maybe better for just personal listening can anyone attest to that

If you don't mind Audio-Technica then have a look at the closed-back model ATH-MSR7 which is on the same quality/price level as the open-back Sennheiser HD 560S.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 17, 2021 13:09

Perhaps it’s just me, but I’d have imagined a professional musician wold use a professional pair of studio headphones when recording. These are very much a mid-price set. I suppose Keith is the type who wouldn’t particularly care. Besides, it’s the expensive, vintage guitars that count!

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: March 17, 2021 15:26

Big Al
Perhaps it’s just me, but I’d have imagined a professional musician wold use a professional pair of studio headphones when recording. These are very much a mid-price set. I suppose Keith is the type who wouldn’t particularly care. Besides, it’s the expensive, vintage guitars that count!

Maybe they are good enough, that's what they use at the studio anyway. I bet he's not bringing his own headphones.

Besides it seems he's listening to a backing track and the guitar sound comes from his amplifier. Overall sound will be ready after it's mixed.

Date: March 18, 2021 00:52

Date: March 17, 2021 11:25

ProfessorWolf

If you don't mind Audio-Technica then have a look at the closed-back model ATH-MSR7 which is on the same quality/price level as the open-back Sennheiser HD 560S

the sennheiser would be good but the impedence
is to high for my use the ath-msr7 look very good and have the right impedence

also on my shortlist are these
amazon
amazon
let me know if these are any good

Date: March 18, 2021 13:50

ProfessorWolf

the sennheiser would be good but the impedence is to high for my use

Sennheiser HD 560S - a reliable review of a HiFi-Magazine said twice: "Impedance 120 ohms, efficiency 110 dB - suitable for almost any mobile and stationary device. The headphones are just as compatible a playing partner for mobile devices and computers as they are for serious hi-fi equipment." Ranking was 80 out of 100%.

Reviews for the Sony MDR-1A - [www.Head-Fi.org] , MDR-1AM2 - [www.Head-Fi.org] - and Philips Fidelio X2 - [www.Head-Fi.org] , X2HR - [www.Head-Fi.org] . Someone on [www.Amazon.com] liked the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 better than the Sony MDR-1A.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-18 14:35 by Irix.

Date: March 18, 2021 17:56

The M50x's are great for recording. Musicians don't need hi-fi headphones in the studio to monitor their playing and mix the rest of the band/music. In the studio, you need durable well-made headphones that will last. In the studio I most frequently work out of are a bunch of Shure SRH840's which work quite well.

That being said, my pair of M50x's ear pads and headband have totally worn out. I replaced the ear pads, but I'll need my wife to sew some material and enclose the headband because there are pieces of material falling off and getting everywhere.

The Sennheiser HD650's are exceptional, and it's not even their top of the line for HD's.

Date: March 18, 2021 18:10

TravelinMan

The Sennheiser HD650's are exceptional, and it's not even their top of the line for HD's.

Yep, but they're $500 (HD660S) and the considered price range in this thread is $200.

Date: March 18, 2021 23:58

Date: March 18, 2021 13:50

ProfessorWolf

the sennheiser would be good but the impedence is to high for my use

Sennheiser HD 560S - a reliable review of a HiFi-Magazine said twice: "Impedance 120 ohms, efficiency 110 dB - suitable for almost any mobile and stationary device. The headphones are just as compatible a playing partner for mobile devices and computers as they are for serious hi-fi equipment." Ranking was 80 out of 100%.

well that changes things thank you i didn't know that

Date: March 18, 2021 18:10

TravelinMan

Yep, but they're $500 (HD660S) and the considered price range in this thread is $200.

they are a bit much for me but damn do they look cool i'll keep them in mind if i ever have that much money

Date: March 19, 2021 14:42

Irix
TravelinMan

Absolutely. Just thought I’d mention my experience with them since Sennheisers were being talked about.

Date: April 22, 2021 02:27

so this took a while but i ended up buying the ath-m50x and oddly enough the other one i was looking at the philips fidelio x2hr for way below what they cost online i found both in a pawn shop used but barely with the box and all paperwork and accessories at's were $40 and the Philips were $50 and all i can say is i'm glad i didn't spend $200 on either
now don't get me wrong they both have great definition the at's sounding best but at high volume they are both terribly painful to listen to but my old cheap headphones are not (edifier h840) and are comfertable at any volume (though not as well defined) and i tried on multible devices with different impedance something specific of note would be rip this joint and happy off exile both sound very painful at high volume but fine at a reasonable volume (but who wants to listen to rip this joint at reasonable volume) and this is with both the original vinyl release and the 2010 cd
but i will say they sound great with movies and video games the philips sounding best because of its huge soundstage so not a total loss but for music i'll stick with my edifier's for now which still only cost $37 new and don't sound that much worst then the other ones and are more comfortable to wear though are made of the cheapest plastic possible think i'll try to get a pair of sennheisers next
thanks to everyone who helped me out with this your advice was much appreciated

Date: November 23, 2021 07:41

update

i've been meaning to post this for a while but always forget

after listening to them for a while i've come to really like the the ath-m50x headphones and now use them exclusively my problem at high volume was because of brickwalled remasters and not the headphones

Date: November 23, 2021 07:45

oh also noticed charlie wore these on stage in 2019 wonder if the band has some kind of deal with audio technica or maybe keith recomended them to charlie

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 23, 2021 08:06

probably not. I mean seriously, what percentage of our actual hearing do any of us really have left?

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: November 23, 2021 13:56

Big Al

Keith's ears would have to be shot by now so I doubt he would care.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: November 23, 2021 15:12

I've used these a lot, nice clear sound, if you like a heavy bass sound it's not for you though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home