Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

IORR (David Bowie & Ronnie Wood on backing vocals) - Rolling Stones - Early version
Posted by: gostonesforever ()
Date: March 11, 2021 21:47

Wikipedia says its Jagger lead, Bowie backing.
The song was originally recorded one night in a studio at Wood's house, "The Wick" in Richmond, London. David Bowie was backing singer to Jagger's lead, and Willie Weeks played bass with Kenney Jones on drums.

Hope ya enjoy. Peace

Re: IORR (David Bowie & Ronnie Wood on backing vocals) - Rolling Stones - Early version
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 12, 2021 01:11

thumbs up

Re: IORR (David Bowie & Ronnie Wood on backing vocals) - Rolling Stones - Early version
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 12, 2021 01:31

Sorry I can not make a bit of Bowie on this track.....only hear Wood on backing.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 12, 2021 01:45

I think he was removed for legal reasons

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: March 12, 2021 02:33

NICOS
Sorry I can not make a bit of Bowie on this track.....only hear Wood on backing.

Take a listen around 3:40. I can clearly hear him doing backing vocals.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 12, 2021 03:05

Bowie nice and audible, nice gift...thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 12, 2021 03:17

lamemodem2
NICOS

Take a listen around 3:40. I can clearly hear him doing backing vocals.

I can clearly hear him around 4:05 too.

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 12, 2021 03:22

Willie Weeks actually didn't overdub his bass part until they were mixing the album. I believe this is Ronnie on bass here.

4th - 6th December 1973: MICK JAGGER & RON WOOD. Richmond, England,
The Wick, RW’s homestudio. Sound engineer: George Chkiantz.
- It’s Only Rock’n Roll I (MJ/KR) -demo version

Line-up: MJ (voc, gtr)/RW (gtr, bass)/Kenney Jones (dr)/David Bowie (bvoc, handclaps)
Willie Weeks wasn't present at this session, he overdubbed his bass-part in Spring 1974 at Stargroves (MJ's house) in Newbury.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 03:24 by JordyLicks96.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: March 12, 2021 03:46

Can here. Bowie around the 4 minute mark

Posted by: gostonesforever ()
Date: March 12, 2021 04:05

JordyLicks96
Willie Weeks actually didn't overdub his bass part until they were mixing the album. I believe this is Ronnie on bass here.

4th - 6th December 1973: MICK JAGGER & RON WOOD. Richmond, England,
The Wick, RW’s homestudio. Sound engineer: George Chkiantz.
- It’s Only Rock’n Roll I (MJ/KR) -demo version

Line-up: MJ (voc, gtr)/RW (gtr, bass)/Kenney Jones (dr)/David Bowie (bvoc, handclaps)
Willie Weeks wasn't present at this session, he overdubbed his bass-part in Spring 1974 at Stargroves (MJ's house) in Newbury.

Thanks so much for the info. I wasn't sure so I quoted Wikipedia. Then posted here. Damn, this is a great site!

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: March 12, 2021 07:50

Bowie’s on all the choruses. He’s “under” Woodie’s vocals but you can hear Bowie. Mainly at the end of lines/words.like at the very end of the line at :29 seconds - that’s bowie sounding like a whining cat! I think he’s on all of the “I know, it’s only rock n roll” lines in the first chorus. Seems to echo or lag a tad on the right side. If that makes sense.

He gets a bit clearer at the end, especially at around 4:08 when it is only him singing “only rock n roll”

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 12, 2021 17:15

Like I've said before, Kenny Jones is one of very few drummers who could have replaced Charlie Watts.
He'd be better in the Stones than the Who.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2021 17:51

He's only really recognizable at 4:07 but it must be him before that too, strange Wood was made to be louder than him...Ronnie knows was he's doing behind his "goofy" approach ! Didn't ever think that version would make it out of the bag, thanks "CC" ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 17:53 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 12, 2021 18:29

CousinC
Like I've said before, Kenny Jones is one of very few drummers who could have replaced Charlie Watts.
He'd be better in the Stones than the Who.

I'll pretend that sacrilege was never uttered.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: March 16, 2021 20:00

Taken down on youtube. Still available at:

[www.davidbowienews.com]

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 16, 2021 20:15

muffie
Taken down on youtube. Still available at:

[www.davidbowienews.com]

Wow, they're still using my artwork smoking smiley

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: March 17, 2021 21:39

NICOS

[www.davidbowienews.com]

I think Ron Wood at this point was very excited to be participating in such a special theme with the best band in the world and even more playing at home with another great artist and friend named Bowie. that's why his voice stands out. But for me Bowie is very noticeable in several parts of the theme but for the less knowledgeable I think he is more noticeable at 4.03 minutes because in this small second he is more alone in the support vocals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-05 22:09 by StoneZP.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: March 18, 2021 02:12

This version is really fantastic, I thought it didn't exist anymore.
Actually Mick, Ronnie David and Kenny met up at Wood's house that night.
Ronnie was not yet a Stones, together with Mick they put down some songs, in addition to IORR they also developed I can feel the fire.
IORR Mick took it and I can feel the fire Ronnie took it, two excellent pieces.
This is for those unfamiliar with history ...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 18, 2021 13:47

I cannot comprehend how some people don't hear Bowie on this track.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 18, 2021 15:49

Rip This
I cannot comprehend how some people don't hear Bowie on this track.

Definitely Bowie. It's not Mick, Ronnie or Kenny so who else can it be?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 18, 2021 16:13

Yeah but again you can only really him clearly at 4:07 so you'll miss him if you're not patient ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: March 18, 2021 18:04

gotdablouse
Yeah but again you can only really him clearly at 4:07 so you'll miss him if you're not patient ;-)

4.03 better than 4.07 tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 18, 2021 19:12

If nobody told me it was David Bowie singing on this, I'm not sure how evident it would be, and I'd probably never even guess he was on it.
Even being directed to the precise moments where he can be heard and listening repeatedly (lol), it isn't 100% obvious to me as it is for others, though if I truly focus, then yeah...I can hear him.
But he's only a small part of the whole which is the embryonic sloppiness of all involved...it sounds like a few friends having drinks around the table while having a singalong, which it pretty much is.
It's great, happy to have it, and happy to have anything at this point. Also hoping for more (yes being greedy), but in the meantime still absorbing and dissecting as there's LOTS of stuff involved with this compilation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1607
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home