Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

brighton march 10th 1971 - small video clip
Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: March 11, 2021 20:34

hi,

a very very small clip from brighton march 10th 1971,
i have not seen any video from 1971 until now (only marquee) ...

[www.youtube.com]

Re: brighton march 10th 1971 - small video clip
Date: March 11, 2021 20:36

correct link ...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 11, 2021 20:56

Nice. Hope more exist! would love to have more audio (at least) both from this tour, 1970, and Winter Tour '73.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 11, 2021 21:15

Jump cuts...gone in a flash...Jack!

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: March 12, 2021 04:28

That's my video/channel - I shared this last year in the b/s/t, and decided to put up some of the sync clips I've done, in the interest of having stuff on YouTube with a modicum of information rather than 'R@RE VIDEO!!' haha. If you want I'd be happy to re-post a download link in the other thread.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 12, 2021 07:10

automaticchanger
That's my video/channel - I shared this last year in the b/s/t, and decided to put up some of the sync clips I've done, in the interest of having stuff on YouTube with a modicum of information rather than 'R@RE VIDEO!!' haha. If you want I'd be happy to re-post a download link in the other thread.

Great job, automaticchanger! I love that tour and I don't remember watching this clip before, nor your post on the buy/sell/trade forum (there's been quite some time that I don't visit that forum as often as I used to, hence I missed your post there).

And thank you thomashanck for sharing it!

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 12, 2021 11:31

automaticchanger

I WAS THERE!!!!!

I'd queue'd all night a few weeks before to get tickets and was there near the back in the amazing crush of people.

The Big Apple had originally been built in the 1930s as part of a cinema & dance hall complex near the Clock Tower in Brighton. It had a sprung floor and it was really bouncing when the Stones played that night.

We were near the back and despite that the crush was so great that the young lady I was with fainted but didn't fall to the floor as she was kept up by the pressure of bodies.

What a night!!!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 12, 2021 20:31

CaptainCorella
automaticchanger

I WAS THERE!!!!!

I'd queue'd all night a few weeks before to get tickets and was there near the back in the amazing crush of people.

The Big Apple had originally been built in the 1930s as part of a cinema & dance hall complex near the Clock Tower in Brighton. It had a sprung floor and it was really bouncing when the Stones played that night.

We were near the back and despite that the crush was so great that the young lady I was with fainted but didn't fall to the floor as she was kept up by the pressure of bodies.

What a night!!!

Lucky you!!!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 12, 2021 21:16

CaptainCorella
automaticchanger

I WAS THERE!!!!!

What a night!!!

I warmed them up a day earlier grinning smiley
Kidding off course, but I did see them in Bristol's Colston Hall on the 9th.
Great show with Mick jumping around on that small stage with that great funny cap. Great memories smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: March 13, 2021 12:50

CaptainCorella
automaticchanger

I WAS THERE!!!!!

What a night!!!

Captain, do you recall/can you confirm that Brighton was the only town on that tour which only got one show?

N

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: March 13, 2021 12:59

Thanks! Seems to be from the INA.fr website - that's the public service for audio-visual archives in France.

Date: March 13, 2021 23:36

NeddieFlanders
CaptainCorella
automaticchanger

I WAS THERE!!!!!

What a night!!!

Captain, do you recall/can you confirm that Brighton was the only town on that tour which only got one show?

N

Strange question. Is there a hidden reason for it? The dates of all of these gigs are well recorded in any number of books etc.

But, here's the poster [artlogic-res.cloudinary.com]

I did queue all night (missing a Kinks show), but did get two copies of the poster with my tickets, both of which Matt Lee would place a non-trivial value on.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 13, 2021 23:36

GivenToFly15
Thanks! Seems to be from the INA.fr website - that's the public service for audio-visual archives in France.

Perhaps any French readers could be in a position to search their web site(s) to look for more?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: March 13, 2021 23:40

[www.ina.fr]

[www.ina.fr]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-14 00:14 by 5strings.

Date: March 14, 2021 01:28

thank you.

first ina.fr is 1973,
look here for press conference amsterdam 1973, keith and mick,
same clothes, other location than ina.fr-interview ...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 14, 2021 01:33

look nzentgraf ...

both (press conference and interview) octobre 12th 1973 in amsterdam, hotel americain

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: March 14, 2021 11:56

CaptainCorella
NeddieFlanders
CaptainCorella
automaticchanger

I WAS THERE!!!!!

What a night!!!

N

Strange question. Is there a hidden reason for it? The dates of all of these gigs are well recorded in any number of books etc.

I did queue all night (missing a Kinks show), but did get two copies of the poster with my tickets, both of which Matt Lee would place a non-trivial value on.

Maybe a misunderstanding - I asked because at every other town on the UK tour 1971 there have been two reported shows (afternoon and evening shows) per day - I can't believe in Brighton there was only one show. Do you recall if it was one or two shows that day?

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-14 11:57 by NeddieFlanders.

Date: March 14, 2021 12:23

NeddieFlanders
CaptainCorella
NeddieFlanders
CaptainCorella
automaticchanger

I WAS THERE!!!!!

What a night!!!

N

Maybe a misunderstanding - I asked because at every other town on the UK tour 1971 there have been two reported shows (afternoon and evening shows) per day - I can't believe in Brighton there was only one show. Do you recall if it was one or two shows that day?

N

In Bill's "Rolling With The Stones" p374 he writes.... "Two shows everywhere, except Brighton and Leeds". So that answers your question.

And, he later adds, and this is VERY interesting...

"The shows at Brighton, Liverpool, Leeds and London were recorded live on the eight track Stones Mobile studio....." and... "A one-hour tape of the Leeds show was presented to Radio One's John Peel for broadcast on 30 May".

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 14, 2021 12:59

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: March 14, 2021 13:49

I'm a 58 year old Bristolian just a few years too young to have been able to attend either of those 1971 shows at the Colston.Infact I don't think I've ever met anyone who went.
I've seen a few pictures (not sure from which show) and the audience looks very sedate and middle class looking,all sat down.
Reviews of shows from this era tend to concentrate on the behaviour of the audience rather than the performance.Indeed one of the reviews I've read from the local Evening Post concentrated on the fact that a load of local Clifton College schoolboys had bunked off school to get tickets.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 14, 2021 16:11

Brown Moses
I'm a 58 year old Bristolian just a few years too young to have been able to attend either of those 1971 shows at the Colston.Infact I don't think I've ever met anyone who went.
I've seen a few pictures (not sure from which show) and the audience looks very sedate and middle class looking,all sat down.
Reviews of shows from this era tend to concentrate on the behaviour of the audience rather than the performance.Indeed one of the reviews I've read from the local Evening Post concentrated on the fact that a load of local Clifton College schoolboys had bunked off school to get tickets.

Hi BM, interesting observations. Colston Hall itself is very traditional as such. Inside the almost 2000 fans had no choice but to sit (from way up to all the way down). However, during the concert I visited at some point (well before the first half of the concert) people stood up and continued swinging till the very end (in front of their chairs). The athmosphere was really great. After the concert (it was very mild weather) many continued to dance on the street in front of the building. If you have any photos or stories of the Stones visiting Bristol that year, it would be nice to show them.
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: March 14, 2021 17:36

Hi Georgie,
I haven't got much to add,I was only 7 1/2 at the time.
I think I went down to the Central Library at some point probably 20 years ago now and looked through old copies of the local paper to find a review of the show.I also did this for the Leeds show as there was some speculation as to why the first two tunes JJF & LWM had never been available even in much later rebroadcasts into the noughties.Some people used to claim that the Leeds show must've started with Dead Flowers.I didn't believe this for a minute and I did get a photocopy from Leeds Library but again I don't think it mentioned any song played,just how the audience reacted/behaved.
Of course we found out when Leeds was officialy released that JJF & LWM did infact begin the show.
I lived about a 20m walk fom the Colston/Locarno so once I got into secondary school (I went to Cotham),I was able to see alot of bands from the mid 70s onwards very locally like Queen (twice),Genesis,AC/DC,and most of the main punk/new wave bands of the time.
What about you ?
Are you a Bristolian and where were you living at the time ?

Glen

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: March 14, 2021 22:13

Great footage!!

Date: March 15, 2021 00:26

Brown Moses

The Big Apple (Brighton) was a Dance Hall, so no seats at all - 100% standing (and pushing and shoving and crushing).

No chance for middle-class sobriety there! I suspect that as the only way to get the tickets was by (mainly overnight) queuing at a record shop in town, that the middle classes lost their chance to get tickets and they all went to committed fans like me!

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 15, 2021 00:56

THE ROLLING STONES Chronicle --- Massimo Bonanno

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home