Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19
Re: Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang Live On Copacabana Beach
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 12, 2021 01:20

stonesman87

Is the Rio documentary in the Japanese deluxe edition the same as the 26:10 one on the Copa DVD in The Biggest Bang?

According to atsu-y from Hot Stuff Japan, the new version is longer than 2007, it runs 50m:11s and the size is 3.35 GB.

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 04:57

Irix
stonesman87

Is the Rio documentary in the Japanese deluxe edition the same as the 26:10 one on the Copa DVD in The Biggest Bang?

According to atsu-y from Hot Stuff Japan, the new version is longer than 2007, it runs 50m:11s and the size is 3.35 GB.

That's very interesting to know. Thanks for confirming that. thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 12, 2021 07:29

Watched Midnight Rambler.

In terms of how many years they've played it among the other songs they've played live the same years et... there's not bad performance of it, just better ones here and there. The performance on LOCB is not stellar in comparison to previous versions we've all heard...

Damn. Pretty gotdamned good!

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: July 12, 2021 15:47

Review:
[www.rockandbluesmuse.com]

The Rolling Stones dropped one of the biggest free concerts in rock and roll history at the Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro on February 8, 2006 and it’s now an amazing concert film and album you can enjoy from your comforts thanks to Mercury Studios. The Rolling Stones—A Bigger Bang: Live On Copacabana Beach will be released July 9th, 2021. The show was originally put out on DVD in 2007 as The Biggest Bang. This new look at it includes four songs not on the first version (“Tumbling Dice,” “Oh No, Not You Again,” “This Place Is Empty,” “Sympathy For The Devil”) and has been remixed, re-edited, and remastered. It will be available in a variety of formats to suit the taste of every Stones fan, including DVD+2CD, SD BD+2CD, 2DVD+2CD Deluxe, 3LP (pressed on blue, yellow, and green vinyl), 3LP pressed on clear vinyl (exclusive to Sound Of Vinyl) and digital. This is the first time that the gig has been released in its complete form and, as expected, it’s a gas, gas, gas.

The show at Copacabana Beach was absolutely epic in every way, with 1.5 million people coming out to party. Fans were watching on land and on the water and it was a beautiful night in the tropics. It was an electric setting that crackled with the energy of the world’s greatest rock and roll band giving the massive crowd every bit of music it had in it. From the moment when the group crossed the specially-constructed bridge from the Copacabana Palace Hotel to the stage, it was obvious that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, and Charlie Watts were about to light everyone there on fire. They put down a two-hour set of hits and new songs with the fervor of men who live for the act of playing this music together and seeing the crowd go wild.

The Stones exploded onto the stage with the timeless “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” and the Brazilian throngs assembled were instantly up and moving. Keith simply walked out from beside the drum riser while hitting that wonderful riff and the entire beach went up for grabs. The Stones have always had the ability to go from zero to 60 in the space of an eighth note and used it that night to connect with each fan at once and infuse them with the power of rock and roll. It’s a great moment that foreshadowed an equally great set.

“It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll (But I Like It)” followed close behind and sent both band and audience even deeper into the zone. So many Stones tunes have transcended simply being pieces of music and have become permanent parts of their fan’s lives and witnessing them go down live like this is practically a mystical experience. The four members grooved hard while bassist Daryl Jones, horns, keys, and backup singers provided support and it’s impossible to not get caught up in this captured performance.

“Tumbling Dice” was brilliant as always, with Charlie Watts driving the beat into the stage while Keith and Ron weaved their guitars into a roaring tapestry. Both players were in fine form that night and the licks and tones that came out of their back line of Fender amps channeled everything we’ve always loved about true rock music. Mick Jagger was also at his best in Brazil. He was a man in constant motion who romanced every bit of his crowd and sang these anthems like the legend he is.

Keith went acoustic on “Wild Horses,” using a gorgeous Guild 12-string on one of the most emotive songs in The Stones’ catalogue. That song is tattooed on the soul of everyone who’s ever heard it and the band delivered it with style and grace. Any Rolling Stones show is like watching a Greatest Hits record go down live and there’s just no way to argue with this kind of legendary material. The ending run of immortal tunes “Get Off Of My Cloud,” “Honky Tonk Women,” “Sympathy For The Devil,” “Start Me Up,” “Brown Sugar,” “You Can’t Always Get What You Want,” and “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” was and is as mighty a sequence of songs as any that’s ever been done by any band.

A Bigger Bang: Live On Copacabana Beach preserves an incredible show by a band that helped create rock and roll as we know it today. The Rolling Stones left everything out there that night on the beach but that’s just how they do it. Let this new set transport you back there and remind you you’re still alive. Highly recommended.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 12, 2021 16:02

GerardHennessy
StonedRambler
GerardHennessy
My ears are FINE and the mix is fine too. The sound is fine, the mastering is fine and the all round quality of the audio is - yes you guessed it - fine.

It sounds totally muffled and if I take a look at the frequency spectrum it confirms it: There's not much above 10k. With Voodoo Lounge Uncut it's the same. Every other recent release is fine from a technical stand point (if people find the guitars to quiet that's more about taste) but it's a FACT that on these two the high frequencies are cut off - you can see it with any frequency spectrum analyzer.

If you don't hear that it probably means a lot of the high frequencies are not audible for you anymore. No reason to bash the people who hear it.

When I buy an album I listen to the MUSIC mate. I don't analyse the sound through a frequency spectrum doo-dah thingy. Good God with this kind of audiophile fanaticism I'm glad I don't play music any longer. I can just see a room full of people analysing the audio quality with a lot of hand held kit. Not that I'm any good musically, but at least it was the musical content people used to come to hear, not obsess about the sound spectrum readings.

And by the way, when I say my ears are fine, that is based on medical evidence. My work requires me to have a hearing test every year. I might be getting on age-wise but the old hearing is still 100%. Oh yes, I still say the sound on this album is fine. Not the greatest album The Stones have ever released, but that is down to the same-old, same-old set list. Apart from a couple of tracks we have all heard them a hundred (million?) times before....

Now that I think of it, maybe that is why some many people are so interested in analysing the sound quality? If there was a decent amount of previously unplayed, or only rarely played, material in the set list more people might actually focus on the music and forget about analysing the sound spectrum...

I’m with you. I use MY frequency spectrum thingy,,, my EARS.

But gee, this does sound a bit off. The beginning of Rain Fall Down…god are they off key, off tempo and…just off! A mess!! Night Time is the Right Time. Awful. Happy, wrong key too, surely, when it comes in. Something amiss. Start me up and Brown Sugar,too, both just sound wrong. I don’t know. I think the Bigger Bang DVD sounds a WHOLE HEAP better than the this. It’s woeful.

Rod

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: July 12, 2021 17:24

Irix
stonesman87

Must be the National Geographic Rio 2006 Documentary.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: July 12, 2021 17:25

stonesman87
Irix
stonesman87

That's very interesting to know. Thanks for confirming that. thumbs up

Must be the National Geographic Rio 2006 Documentary.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 12, 2021 17:29

Who would buy this? For four 'bonus' songs? Because you can't find The Biggest Bang used for cheap?

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: July 12, 2021 18:03

24FPS
Who would buy this? For four 'bonus' songs? Because you can't find The Biggest Bang used for cheap?
Well, normally you would expect the 2021 version to have optimized picture and sound. Both not the case. Sound is much worse.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 12, 2021 19:30

StonedRambler
24FPS
Well, normally you would expect the 2021 version to have optimized picture and sound. Both not the case. Sound is much worse.

And it's not like they mixed up the setlist to include much that was different. It was another run of the mill concert, in front of a million people.

Date: July 12, 2021 20:03

bitusa2012
GerardHennessy
StonedRambler
GerardHennessy
My ears are FINE and the mix is fine too. The sound is fine, the mastering is fine and the all round quality of the audio is - yes you guessed it - fine.

It sounds totally muffled and if I take a look at the frequency spectrum it confirms it: There's not much above 10k. With Voodoo Lounge Uncut it's the same. Every other recent release is fine from a technical stand point (if people find the guitars to quiet that's more about taste) but it's a FACT that on these two the high frequencies are cut off - you can see it with any frequency spectrum analyzer.

If you don't hear that it probably means a lot of the high frequencies are not audible for you anymore. No reason to bash the people who hear it.

When I buy an album I listen to the MUSIC mate. I don't analyse the sound through a frequency spectrum doo-dah thingy. Good God with this kind of audiophile fanaticism I'm glad I don't play music any longer. I can just see a room full of people analysing the audio quality with a lot of hand held kit. Not that I'm any good musically, but at least it was the musical content people used to come to hear, not obsess about the sound spectrum readings.

And by the way, when I say my ears are fine, that is based on medical evidence. My work requires me to have a hearing test every year. I might be getting on age-wise but the old hearing is still 100%. Oh yes, I still say the sound on this album is fine. Not the greatest album The Stones have ever released, but that is down to the same-old, same-old set list. Apart from a couple of tracks we have all heard them a hundred (million?) times before....

Now that I think of it, maybe that is why some many people are so interested in analysing the sound quality? If there was a decent amount of previously unplayed, or only rarely played, material in the set list more people might actually focus on the music and forget about analysing the sound spectrum...

But gee, this does sound a bit off. The beginning of Rain Fall Down…god are they off key, off tempo and…just off! A mess!! Night Time is the Right Time. Awful. Happy, wrong key too, surely, when it comes in. Something amiss. Start me up and Brown Sugar,too, both just sound wrong. I don’t know. I think the Bigger Bang DVD sounds a WHOLE HEAP better than the this. It’s woeful.

Happy is in proper key. Entirely.

Rain Fall Down isn't bad except for the one droning note that Keith apparently keeps playing.

Night Time is fine.

Can't find anything wrong with Brown Sugar or Start Me Up other than it's the post-LICKS Rolling Stones playing it. I'm not a fan of this tour but it seems that we're not hearing anything similar in regard to this show, which is quite confusing.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 12, 2021 20:13

24FPS

Depends on what you're buying...the deluxe set includes Salt Lake City
show,which is good and got much better sound...
You may say completists are buying this release...

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: July 12, 2021 20:24

Love the Salt Lake City DVD. So stoked to get a regular Anytown, USA pro shot arena show, where aside from the 2 songs broadcast on the American Music Awards, they are only playing for the people there which gives off a completley different vibe from a lot of releases.

Pick up on a few nuances usually not seen on product like Ronnie getting cues on his YGMR solo from Chuck, YCAGWYW solo from Mick yet signaling to Mick during Miss You time to wrap this up.

Pro shot version of Infamy which I think is pretty rare.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 12, 2021 20:55

shortfatfanny
24FPS

That would be me

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 13, 2021 12:28

GasLightStreet
bitusa2012
GerardHennessy
StonedRambler
GerardHennessy

Happy is in proper key. Entirely.

Rain Fall Down isn't bad except for the one droning note that Keith apparently keeps playing.

Night Time is fine.

Can't find anything wrong with Brown Sugar or Start Me Up other than it's the post-LICKS Rolling Stones playing it. I'm not a fan of this tour but it seems that we're not hearing anything similar in regard to this show, which is quite confusing.

It seems you and I have similar pressings, or batch issues or however the various copies are divided up. Because I agree entirely with you about the stuff you mention being in tune and in key.

One of life's little mysteries I guess.

With regard to other comments I agree entirely that this is far from being the greatest concert The Stones ever performed. It is shambolic here and there. The playing is uninspired in other places, and of course there are far too many warhorses. But we make these points over and over to the point of tedium. However I still enjoy this album, and will always be indulgent of - perhaps too indulgent of - The Stones.

Yep, I'm biased!

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: July 13, 2021 15:20

Not sure what some of you are listing to but the sound of the audio CDs of the Rio show is fantastically good. It is way better than the audio tracks of either of the shows on DVD, although those are fine too.

"make up your mind, 'cause I gotta go"

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: July 13, 2021 16:50

shortfatfanny
24FPS

Watched SLC last night. You can hear Keith and Ronnie scraping the strings! It captured the raw, crackling energy of a Stones concert. Copa? it'll stay in the box. I do ok, financially. I could afford the box price. I think the Stones or promoter hung on to the SLC show SOLELY for completists, like myself.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 13, 2021 19:28

BOBM
Not sure what some of you are listing to but the sound of the audio CDs of the Rio show is fantastically good. It is way better than the audio tracks of either of the shows on DVD, although those are fine too.
No, it is not. Concert from Rio contains a lot of something that can be called 'stereo surround'. In places it sounds almost like fake stereo with echo, delay between channels and similar effects. Some people find this rather disturbing.

I remember my old Philips stereo, it had a knob 'surround sound' that allow to get effect like that winking smiley. Here, in original soundboard this effect is already introduced and you can not cancel it.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 13, 2021 20:14

For what it's worth, Deluxe edition showing up on Amazon US for $43 ($50 with shipping/taxes). Ships from UK.

EDIT/UPDATE: the DVDs are Region 2, alas for any U.S. buyers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-13 21:50 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: July 14, 2021 13:33

I just listened to the Rio show on Tidal (i have the boxset in the mail, but i havent been home yet)

The sound was ok, not great, not horrible either, lots of echo, which makes sense since there was like 1,5 million people on a beach. I could imagine it sounded similar on site. So i have no problem with it. Its totally listenable.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 14, 2021 14:03

Wait until your CDs show up and you listen on a stereo. You may have a very different take.

Date: July 14, 2021 15:23

As already mentioned, the main problem with the sound is that the high frequency content above 10k is mostly cut off.
Therefore if the record sounds okay to you or not may depend on your hearing. If you still hear a lot above 10k it will certainly bother you, if you don't you can't notice it of course. The same is the case with VL Uncut. I'm concined that there was a technical issue somewhere in the mixing or mastering chain that has to do with sampling rate. It really sounds like at one point it was downsampled to a sample rate below 44.1Khz. Which cuts of all the high frequencies above half of the sampling rate. Its most obvious on Micks vocals since Mick's voice contains a lot of overtones and on the cymbals and high percussion elements.
I'm sure the actual mix isn't that bad and kind of similar to Salt Lake if it didn't have that technical problem.

So - if you don't here it for the reasons above - please accept that the problem exists. Thanks.
Saying it isn't there only because you don't hear it is like getting a low resolution blue ray and stating it has "excellent picture quality" only because your eyes aren't good anymore to see the pixels.
I understand this is a highly personal topic and nobody likes to admit to themselves that they can't hear a lot of high frequencies anymore.

Now, if you find the guitars to quiet or the keyboards too loud that is more a matter of taste and while I also agree with that it has nothing to do with the technical problem on this release.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-14 15:26 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: July 15, 2021 05:32

StonedRambler
As already mentioned, the main problem with the sound is that the high frequency content above 10k is mostly cut off.
Therefore if the record sounds okay to you or not may depend on your hearing. If you still hear a lot above 10k it will certainly bother you, if you don't you can't notice it of course. The same is the case with VL Uncut. I'm concined that there was a technical issue somewhere in the mixing or mastering chain that has to do with sampling rate. It really sounds like at one point it was downsampled to a sample rate below 44.1Khz. Which cuts of all the high frequencies above half of the sampling rate. Its most obvious on Micks vocals since Mick's voice contains a lot of overtones and on the cymbals and high percussion elements.
I'm sure the actual mix isn't that bad and kind of similar to Salt Lake if it didn't have that technical problem.

So - if you don't here it for the reasons above - please accept that the problem exists. Thanks.
Saying it isn't there only because you don't hear it is like getting a low resolution blue ray and stating it has "excellent picture quality" only because your eyes aren't good anymore to see the pixels.
I understand this is a highly personal topic and nobody likes to admit to themselves that they can't hear a lot of high frequencies anymore.

Now, if you find the guitars to quiet or the keyboards too loud that is more a matter of taste and while I also agree with that it has nothing to do with the technical problem on this release.

I don't hear all the imperfections you hear because I don't sit right in front of the speakers with some sort of technical device measuring all kinds of stuff. I actually listen to the music mate. I'm not listening out for some imperfection. And its a LIVE event. Of course it has imperfections.

You are making all kinds of subjective - not to mention impertinent - statements about the hearing and eyesight of a whole lot of people you have never even met. There is a kind of fascism in statements like 'your eyes are not good anymore to see the pixels' as well as 'no one likes to admit to themselves that they can't hear a lot of high frequencies anymore' That's incredibly intrusive, subjective, judgemental and condescending.

Stop trying to establish some kind of international standard for being allowed to listen to live concert recordings by The Stones. Otherwise I can see something like the following stickered on all future live releases. 'Not for sale to anyone whose ears cannot hear a sufficient number of high frequencies...'

Now I'm gonna go back and play my CD again before the Listening Police come round and take it away because my hearing may not meet the new international standard...

Date: July 15, 2021 07:35

GerardHennessy
StonedRambler

I don't hear all the imperfections you hear because I don't sit right in front of the speakers with some sort of technical device measuring all kinds of stuff. I actually listen to the music mate. I'm not listening out for some imperfection. And its a LIVE event. Of course it has imperfections.

You are making all kinds of subjective - not to mention impertinent - statements about the hearing and eyesight of a whole lot of people you have never even met. There is a kind of fascism in statements like 'your eyes are not good anymore to see the pixels' as well as 'no one likes to admit to themselves that they can't hear a lot of high frequencies anymore' That's incredibly intrusive, subjective, judgemental and condescending.

Stop trying to establish some kind of international standard for being allowed to listen to live concert recordings by The Stones. Otherwise I can see something like the following stickered on all future live releases. 'Not for sale to anyone whose ears cannot hear a sufficient number of high frequencies...'

Now I'm gonna go back and play my CD again before the Listening Police come round and take it away because my hearing may not meet the new international standard...

You're obviously incapable of understanding the science regarding sound. And here you are, mentioning fascism. YOU are the one taking offense to something you can not simply grasp.

You don't need to. Just STFU and listen and enjoy it, all of it, whatever IT is, on your own.

Don't comment.

It's really that simple.

Date: July 15, 2021 10:19

Thanks GasLightStreet, you said it all. He does exactly what I was pleading not to do - pretending the problem isn't there just because he doesn't hear it.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 15, 2021 11:43

GerardHennessy
StonedRambler

Love it mate! These pompous muso bores are a dime a dozen here. Every single release fails to meet one of the idiot’s arbitrary expectations. They’re so far up their own audiophile backsides, they forgot about the music. Can you imagine being married to one of them as constantly grump and fuss about their speakers? grinning smiley

The music plays second fiddle to waffling about obscure technicalities no one cares about.

Date: July 15, 2021 12:08

Father Ted
Love it mate! These pompous muso bores are a dime a dozen here. Every single release fails to meet one of the idiot’s arbitrary expectations. They’re so far up their own audiophile backsides, they forgot about the music. Can you imagine being married to one of them as constantly grump and fuss about their speakers? grinning smiley

The music plays second fiddle to waffling about obscure technicalities no one cares about.
The problem lies in the high frequencies above 10k and is not subtle at all, everyone who still hears much above 10k will hear it and be bothered by it. It's really so obvious that it's even audible on smartphone speakers - IF you can still hear the frequency range. If you can't then it might all seem fine - and to you it is - but to others it isn't.
Ask any young person in their 20s about the mix and they will tell you that the whole treble is cut off.
The frequency spectrum analyzer is the only way to show to people who don't hear that high anymore that the problem exists.. All the guys still hear that high won't need the spectrum analyzer, they just hear it.
I can totally imagine that the mix is totally fine up until 10k and if you cannot hear much above and so enjoy the mix and product, good for you.

It's like stating that dog whistles or bats don't make a sound just because it's out of your audible range.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-15 12:11 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 15, 2021 13:45

StonedRambler
Father Ted

The problem lies in the high frequencies above 10k and is not subtle at all, everyone who still hears much above 10k will hear it and be bothered by it. It's really so obvious that it's even audible on smartphone speakers - IF you can still hear the frequency range. If you can't then it might all seem fine - and to you it is - but to others it isn't.
Ask any young person in their 20s about the mix and they will tell you that the whole treble is cut off.
The frequency spectrum analyzer is the only way to show to people who don't hear that high anymore that the problem exists.. All the guys still hear that high won't need the spectrum analyzer, they just hear it.
I can totally imagine that the mix is totally fine up until 10k and if you cannot hear much above and so enjoy the mix and product, good for you.

It's like stating that dog whistles or bats don't make a sound just because it's out of your audible range.
You asked for it winking smiley
Jumpin' Jack Flash from Rio.
Source - qobuz. Format - 24-Bit / 48.0 kHz

Linear scale

Logarithmic scale

Date: July 15, 2021 14:09

Thanks Ironbelly! Here's one where you can see it even better:
(Sympathy, also 24bit/48KHz, average spectrum over the whole song)

But once again - it's not about how the graph looks, it's of course about how it sounds. The graph is only to show that the problem lies in a frequency range that might not be audible to some people.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-15 14:11 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 15, 2021 14:30

Some people are easily satisfied, I’ve learned not to interfere with them. Hey, as long as they’re happy why should I be concerned. But these guys also need to give us “pompous types” our space too. Learning or re-learning toleration can be difficult. Getting older is challenging. Hang in there peoplesmileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home