Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Stones live in Pittsburgh, 1972. Amazing footage!
Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: March 10, 2021 00:33

Not trying to complain or come off as entitled, just wanted to share info. Sorry.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 10, 2021 02:17

no worries, I was surprised it was video tape. That would make it right at the introduction of the medium for portable use. I thought it was 8 or 16 mm film but I can see the image is too steady for that.

just love the gold rope line though. its so true sometimes.

jb

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 10, 2021 03:57

Excellent!

CBII

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 10, 2021 08:12

Holy HOLY shit. Stupendous.

Rod

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 10, 2021 13:51

grzegorz67
That’s outstanding, capturing the band at the top of their game. What raw power! I don’t think there’s anyone on stage other than the core 5 plus Bobby.

What a find and thanks for sharing !

And that's a big point you made there grzegorz. Oh to see just the main five on stage without any of the backing vocals, double keyboards etc.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 10, 2021 14:37

Silver Dagger
grzegorz67
That’s outstanding, capturing the band at the top of their game. What raw power! I don’t think there’s anyone on stage other than the core 5 plus Bobby.

And that's a big point you made there grzegorz. Oh to see just the main five on stage without any of the backing vocals, double keyboards etc.

Nick Hopkins is behind the piano.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 10, 2021 14:43

Thanks for the footage..reckon the full concert is lurking somewhere.
I might be biased, but I have always put the 1969 Midnight Rambler as my fav...raw!!!

Posted by: Dbs1972 ()
Date: March 10, 2021 15:02

Automaticchanger is correct... they just took the Glimmerstones b&w video and added a weird color filter and “dust and scratches” to give it the feeling of a 16mmm color film. As Stones collectors, fans, and historians this is important to note..!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 10, 2021 15:32

[youtu.be]

Just wonderful to be surprised with this just now.
Glad to see the Thread. Rushed right over.
Just spotted. Listening now. Whoa!

BTW, I was at D.C. and the last NYC in 72
and it was Bobby, Jim, Stu & Nicky
in addition to the 5 Stones
and you could see everyone.
Welll the 6 Stones cuz we loved Ian so much.
!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-10 15:41 by hopkins.

Date: March 10, 2021 16:24

Dbs1972
Automaticchanger is correct... they just took the Glimmerstones b&w video and added a weird color filter and “dust and scratches” to give it the feeling of a 16mmm color film. As Stones collectors, fans, and historians this is important to note..!

I thought it was a real 16mm/8mm film.

Still, I must admit I find it more enjoyable to watch it this way compared to the original B&W footage. I just watched the original footage and it seemed so flat compared to this.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 10, 2021 20:06

S.T.P
Silver Dagger
grzegorz67

Not only on the piano, also very clear on the mix! Amazing to hear him duelling with Taylor and Richards. He was by far the best man on the bench. So close to Charlie, Bill and keith, the true heart of the 1972 sound. Taylor and Jagger are the solist.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 10, 2021 20:33

hopkins
[youtu.be]

!
. May I ask ,how did thebandsound in those shows live compared to what you hear on Ladies and Gentlemen video.And how did the concerts sound compared to any recent Stones shows you were atWas the sound muddy even live in1972

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-10 20:34 by Taylor1.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 10, 2021 20:44

dandelion1967
S.T.P
Silver Dagger
grzegorz67

Not only on the piano, also very clear on the mix! Amazing to hear him duelling with Taylor and Richards. He was by far the best man on the bench. So close to Charlie, Bill and keith, the true heart of the 1972 sound. Taylor and Jagger are the solist.

Agree! Love Nickys playing. He really added a lot to the songs, and though the sound is a bit muddy, it's a very true mix of the band and how the music came trough on that tour. Also a great version of "You can't always get what you want". A very good boot of the tourthumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-10 20:45 by S.T.P.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 11, 2021 01:24

So I think I totally missed the point there, so someone took an old, known video tape and added effects over it to not only kind of "colorize" it but also dust and hair and shuddery effects to make it look like old film. Wow, thats kind of creative. Fooled me but I wasn't watching that critically to notice, now it sticks out like a sore thumb. Still, a way of demonstrating how something can have more impact when its dirtied up vs it being nice and clean.

Learn something new every day and even further apologies for the gold rope comment.

jb

Date: March 13, 2021 23:25

Taylor1
hopkins
[youtu.be]

!
. May I ask ,how did thebandsound in those shows live compared to what you hear on Ladies and Gentlemen video.And how did the concerts sound compared to any recent Stones shows you were atWas the sound muddy even live in1972

Date: March 13, 2021 23:35

Taylor1
hopkins
[youtu.be]

!

Hi Taylor 1. At RFK Stadium it was touch and go sonically, even up close, sitting on the Dugout.
They were around 2nd Base.

At MSG it was SUPERB. Had floor Seats.
Live is always different. And it's different in different locations inside of the old MSG.
I marveled at hearing the Bass from the AMP.
It was very exciting.
It was balanced and Mixed beautifully.
I can't say Audiophile because I'm not sure when all that Power is surging from pretty much One Small space.
No Special stages till 75 and Lotus.

I'll try to get into more useful detail a little later.
I appreciate your interest, mate!
I also saw L&G in Quad SEVERAL TIMES when it opened in NYC uptown. Superb.
I mean you'd weep if you love them.
Thrilling.
Yes I've heard the shit copies.
Take care.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 13, 2021 23:43

Thank youvery muchfor the info.I wish Dick Cavett had a film of one of the entire New York shows in the vault somewhere

Posted by: yearsinthemaking ()
Date: March 14, 2021 01:15

It's interesting to try to evaluate what is going on regarding the filming. It seems to be from the original 16mm film that looks like it is being shown on a projector screen which is then being filmed in order to make a copy for YouTube, etc. I don't think it could be from an 8mm/super8mm handheld camera because the amount of film is likely too long for that as well as the focusing mechanism seems to be more advanced than what would have been on a home camera from that era. What I'm wondering is if it was a professional camera in the audience filming the show like was done for Ladies and Gentlemen and was also done for Gimme Shelter (although 35mm film). There are various times during L&G that an audience camera in a similar position is used for short clips. This kind of makes me wonder if there were also other cameras positioned elsewhere during the Pittsburgh show that have been buried in the trash heap somewhere. The other thing as was suggested by Taylor1 that it might simply be a monitor camera therefore the B&W film. All very interesting to ponder and make one salivate like a Pavlov dog

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 10, 2021 23:45

Dust and grain & color effects adds some dreamy style to the B&W old video ...
Use of After Effects "dust and grain" filter a little too heavy handed...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-10 23:59 by schillid.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 11, 2021 01:50

Taylor1
Four Stone Walls
Jamming, not hamming.

And it gives a lie to all the 'Mick Taylor only played lead and spors' stuff.

He was holding down a very steady rhythm throughout most of rambler.
And he's damn good at it an d totally focused.

And on Bitch of course, but he's hardly audible - someone else is playing very loud lead all the way through! It 's a total disgrace.
It is interesting that on the 50 and Counting Shows he played the first solo which he didn’t on the 1972 tour

Thank you. That is interesting. I will check it out.

And, of course, I was kidding about Keith's disgraceful behaviour.
I guess he just couldn't handle the rhythm part!

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 11, 2021 02:09

dandelion1967
S.T.P
Silver Dagger
grzegorz67

I for one don't t agree with you here.

I think all 5 were integral.
On Bitch the musical core is Taylor, Watts and Wyman, with Keith in an ' interesting' world of his own.

Why not though.

Jagger a soloist? But I think I know what you mean.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home