Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 5, 2021 05:56

This is just one gem after another. I'm four songs in -- love some of the playing on Dreams to Remember, for example. It sounds like a song that, if given editing and some focused love could have been the next Far Away Eyes.

T@3

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 5, 2021 05:59

Why would ya bother with any other band ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 5, 2021 06:00

HopeYouGuessMyName
CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW THIS IS POSSIBLE? AFTER THE EXTRA BONUS CD'S OF RECENT YEARS... How can such 'new' amazing stuff still be available? and in pristine condition! How is this possible? Do you realize that the bottom of the barrel of any Stones recording session is still great? Of course you do! We all do! Why did not the Stones simply release this to us? why? why? why? THEORIES?

Mick looked at our new album thread, and saw how desperate we are... 'need to give something for those guys to stop complaining...'grinning smiley

But feels like a kid in a candy shop. Time to reflect and talk about the tracks later (lots to do that!). Now just listen, listen, listen....

- Doxa

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: March 5, 2021 06:09

Doxa
But feels like a kid in a candy shop.

This isn't an exaggeration. I'm kind of stunned sitting here listening to this. It feels like listening to a new Stones album. I can't wait to really dig into reviewing it and hearing everyone's thoughts.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: March 5, 2021 06:29

Has "Covered In Bruises" ever been available on bootleg before?

Date: March 5, 2021 06:41

JordyLicks96

Listening to the exuberant amount of material they recorded for UNDERCOVER, it's a shame the final product wasn't that great. Just my opinion, but they had a great batch of songs that could have made the album.

I feel like even a stronger case could be claimed for DIRTY WORK (there'd been some other hidden gems circulating from those sessions already).

But generally I think the Stones were in a much better form during the 80's than their released official output tells. Probably it was the times - bloody 80's - that messed up the minds (how they records should sound like and all that)... Another way to put it is that even at their 'worst' the Stones were a brilliant band. Musically - and as musicians - they were in top form, sounding like they could do anything. So much potential wasted... I think some of that hotness and edge was lost by the 90's when the sonic atmosphere of contempory music was more on their side again (and I don't think the bootleg tracks have much to add for the released stuff in VOODOO LOUNGE or BRIDGES TO BABYLON, etc).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-05 06:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 5, 2021 08:33

MelBelli
I'm loving these B2B-era Keith vocal tracks. They remind me of Love Is Strong, YGMR, Sparks -- gives you a sense of how Mick can takes cues from Keith on melody and lyrics. They're not really 50/50. More like 85% Keith, in these cases.

You’re right. The best songs on VL and BtB are Keef songs with unfinished lyrics.
Love is Strong, Sparks Will Fly, YGMR, Flip the Switch, Low Down, Too Toght...
Then Jagger put the lyrics...some time good, some time really bad.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 5, 2021 08:47

KRiffhard
MelBelli
I'm loving these B2B-era Keith vocal tracks. They remind me of Love Is Strong, YGMR, Sparks -- gives you a sense of how Mick can takes cues from Keith on melody and lyrics. They're not really 50/50. More like 85% Keith, in these cases.

You’re right. The best songs on VL and BtB are Keef songs with unfinished lyrics.

Yeah, Low Down or Too Tight with Keith on lead vocals could have been major hits, so who really needs this Jagger guy anyway?

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: March 5, 2021 09:20

Deep Love was a snooze with Keith on vocals. Jagger brought the song to life. The same is true of Love is Strong, Keith version of Soul Survivor was a waffly mess. Jagger provides melody and focus.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 5, 2021 09:27

KRiffhard
MelBelli

It’s the classic Jagger/Richards songwriting partnership: Keith’s responsible for the music; Mick adds some lyrics. It’s exactly how it worked before Mick learnt a few chords.

Date: March 5, 2021 09:54

bakersfield
Deep Love was a snooze with Keith on vocals. Jagger brought the song to life. The same is true of Love is Strong, Keith version of Soul Survivor was a waffly mess. Jagger provides melody and focus.

That's what happens when you embellish songs and finish them smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 5, 2021 10:01

Thought Joe Meek had come back
ta help out on start ah Flip Da Switch ....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 5, 2021 10:09

retired_dog
KRiffhard
MelBelli

Yeah, Low Down or Too Tight with Keith on lead vocals could have been major hits, so who really needs this Jagger guy anyway?

I was just listening 'Keith on vocals' songs... They sound to me more like Winos than Stones songs. In a way it is a Keith style to write: not really work out the melodies and finish up the lyrics but leave them more like unfinished business. Makes me wonder how much Keith's proper song-writing has 'suffered' from or 'being spoiled' by Jagger/Richards team-work: he provides the riffs and the structure of the songs, but does not pay any more attention to finishing up the songs, since that's been Mick's task for ages (first it was work totally or just finish up the lyrics, but later finish up or write the melodies as well). I guess that's partly what Keith means by 'any song' he writes is 'made for Mick to sing' (or what he said while promoting CROSSEYED HEART) - the singing part involving writing the proper melody from Keith's cues as well. I also recall Mick saying of TALK IS CHEAP or MAIN OFFENDER that the songs sound like demos Keith offers him to finish up.

I guess it is a question of taste what one prefers - the songs as Keith sketches or finished up Jagger-Richards deals. There is certain charm in Keith's latter-day free-going, lazy melodies and lyrics presented by his idiosyncratic, soulful way to interpret them (and sometimes, especially in ballads, they work damn well), but still, as a Rolling Stones fan, it makes me feel that if people prefer those over Jagger ones, people actually like different band than I do.

However, there are also in this collection of hidden gems songs that provide Mick just fooling around with melodies and words - like capturing the moment when he is in the process of creating them with trial and error. But I think what is noteworty how determinate he sounds being there - like being awere of that it is his task to nail the thing there - to give the song a final form. The way he uses his voice like an instrument to be tuned up rightly and efficiently there was one thing that stood out by the first listening of the whole lot. It's powerful and distinctive - I really can't think of the Rolling Stones sound without that instrument.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-05 10:40 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 5, 2021 10:15

Rockman
Thought Joe Meek had come back
ta help out on start ah Flip Da Switch ....
m

Yes!

Listening loudly through headphones, it was a tad unsettling!

Couldn’t someone have erased it??

Date: March 5, 2021 11:10

Might As Well Get Juiced is great! So much interesting going on there.

Date: March 5, 2021 11:17

Covered In Bruises became a Ronnie-tune later on, but I can't recall which one? I think it's on 1234.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 5, 2021 12:39

Yes, a part of it anyway: "Baaaby, don´t you want my love..." On the title track 1234. Comes after a few verses.

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: March 5, 2021 13:07

I really don’t get it why there’s been so few studio releases in recent years while all this was lying around. Many songs finished and a whole lot just waiting for fully finished lyrics and finalized vocals. We could’ve gotten four to five albums since ABB.
But super cool we got this now

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: March 5, 2021 13:21

In the early seventies I started to become a Stonesfan. Especially when Black and Blue came out when I was in High School. Bought some bootleg lp's in Amsterdam on the Waterlooplein and in the early ninetees I bought bootleg cd's from the same guy who had a shop in Utrecht. Amongst other "dealers". At a certain point you have collected all that you wanted and searched for. Very happy when the Deluxe version of Goat Heads's Soup from last year had the unknown piano version of 100 Years Ago. Mick's voice....great!! And now this 3-cd suddenly came out of heaven. Now I know why i became a Stones-fan in the first place. The variation in their songs and yes Mick's insane voice on Dreams To Remember. If it's true that ther will be a 100 songs to come, well that's way more than that we could ever hoped for. Isn't it?! Can ya? Can ya? Well, for now this 61 aged guy feels like a kid in Luilekkerland met een strakke plasser and enjoys his Friday off listening to the Stones on a bright sunshiny day in Holland!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-05 13:23 by Freebird1959.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 5, 2021 13:28

The more songs I listen to the more amazing it gets; such a variety in musical styles and beats. Putty in your hands; fvckinggreat!
Rockanroll,
Mops

Date: March 5, 2021 13:41

Freebird1959
In the early seventies I started to become a Stonesfan. Especially when Black and Blue came out when I was in High School. Bought some bootleg lp's in Amsterdam on the Waterlooplein and in the early ninetees I bought bootleg cd's from the same guy who had a shop in Utrecht. Amongst other "dealers". At a certain point you have collected all that you wanted and searched for. Very happy when the Deluxe version of Goat Heads's Soup from last year had the unknown piano version of 100 Years Ago. Mick's voice....great!! And now this 3-cd suddenly came out of heaven. Now I know why i became a Stones-fan in the first place. The variation in their songs and yes Mick's insane voice on Dreams To Remember. If it's true that ther will be a 100 songs to come, well that's way more than that we could ever hoped for. Isn't it?! Can ya? Can ya? Well, for now this 61 aged guy feels like a kid in Luilekkerland met een strakke plasser and enjoys his Friday off listening to the Stones on a bright sunshiny day in Holland!!

Actually feel the same, just not in sunny Holland... Greetings from the neighborhood!

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 5, 2021 13:44

Freebird1959
Well, for now this 61 aged guy feels like a kid in Luilekkerland met een strakke plasser and enjoys his Friday off listening to the Stones on a bright sunshiny day in Holland!!

Lekker man

Date: March 5, 2021 13:58

Doxa
retired_dog
KRiffhard
MelBelli

I was just listening 'Keith on vocals' songs... They sound to me more like Winos than Stones songs. In a way it is a Keith style to write: not really work out the melodies and finish up the lyrics but leave them more like unfinished business. Makes me wonder how much Keith's proper song-writing has 'suffered' from or 'being spoiled' by Jagger/Richards team-work: he provides the riffs and the structure of the songs, but does not pay any more attention to finishing up the songs, since that's been Mick's task for ages (first it was work totally or just finish up the lyrics, but later finish up or write the melodies as well). I guess that's partly what Keith means by 'any song' he writes is 'made for Mick to sing' (or what he said while promoting CROSSEYED HEART) - the singing part involving writing the proper melody from Keith's cues as well. I also recall Mick saying of TALK IS CHEAP or MAIN OFFENDER that the songs sound like demos Keith offers him to finish up.

I guess it is a question of taste what one prefers - the songs as Keith sketches or finished up Jagger-Richards deals. There is certain charm in Keith's latter-day free-going, lazy melodies and lyrics presented by his idiosyncratic, soulful way to interpret them (and sometimes, especially in ballads, they work damn well), but still, as a Rolling Stones fan, it makes me feel that if people prefer those over Jagger ones, people actually like different band than I do.

However, there are also in this collection of hidden gems songs that provide Mick just fooling around with melodies and words - like capturing the moment when he is in the process of creating them with trial and error. But I think what is noteworty how determinate he sounds being there - like being awere of that it is his task to nail the thing there - to give the song a final form. The way he uses his voice like an instrument to be tuned up rightly and efficiently there was one thing that stood out by the first listening of the whole lot. It's powerful and distinctive - I really can't think of the Rolling Stones sound without that instrument.

- Doxa

Doxa, please don't tell me that you took my above remark at face value...!

Yes, as I've already said elsewhere, this collection will give us food for thought for many months to come... And there's supposedly 2 more sets on the way!

Somebody must have hacked Jagger's digital collection of work-in-progress over the years - or is it an early 60th Anniversary present?

Anyway, even on tracks that can't quite cut the mustard (like his vocal tryout on Potted Shrimp - Tell Her How It Is) it's interesting to hear how he tries, even struggles, to find a vocal angle that works - and fails in the end.

But what do we know if these versions are really the last word, a lot of this could be work-in-progress that may appear officially and TRULY fully finished on 60th Anniversary and years to come releases...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-05 14:00 by retired_dog.

Posted by: JoT839 ()
Date: March 5, 2021 14:07

What a discovery, enough material for a Tattoo You Two - 40-year anniversary edition... Missed opportunity?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-05 14:08 by JoT839.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 5, 2021 14:13

Taylor1
Is Mick Taylor on any of the tracks which were are new

Good question.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: March 5, 2021 14:16

Amazing stuff!

And two more sets to come?!

Desperate Man, wow!

"Sanctuary" is a true surprise. Something completely differend. Some distant echoes of Arthur Brown (the organ).

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: March 5, 2021 14:25

Maybe the Stones could do a kind of collected bootleg songs like Dylan

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 5, 2021 14:45

EVen better is the fact that just about all known tracks appear here in different version that what we know -Fast Talking, Living in the Heart, all those tracks.

Built That Way is fantastic -GHS or IORR outtake, but that doesn't sound like Taylor on lead guitar...

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 5, 2021 14:51

rollmops
Built that Way: really great. The lead guitar doesn't sound like Keith or Ron. An american player maybe?
Rockandroll,
Mops

I thought the same...that's not Taylor, but somebody wailing away on a Telecaster. It sounds reminiscent of Mick Ronson's style. Nico Zentgraf lists it as from the Rotterdam 1975 sessions.

Mathijs

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 5, 2021 15:09

Mathijs
Living in the Heart, Built That Way
Mathijs

They're both in open G right?
And (imo) like the late'72/early'73 outtake "Windmill" they display Keith at the apex of his mastery of this tuning. The songs themselves might not be as good as stuff from 69-71 but the way Keef commands the guitar tuned to open G is imo stupendous.
I mean it's like sonic architecture with 5 strings! thumbs up

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home