Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 48
Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 6, 2021 12:20

Dan wrote:

hrough further contemplation and study of the existing basic instrumental outtakes of "Title 15 /Dream Pipe", it seems the consensus of the genesis of "SHE'S DOING HER THING" is from the July Sessions for "Their Satanic Majesties request". The musical stylings with that percussion, and even the overdriven organ do lend it self to TSMR. To me, the lyrics seem like something more fit for "Between the Buttons", not trippy enough for TSMR. The iorr community seem to be in agreement that the vocal timber of Mick and Keith is circa 1967. However, some say say this track has more Modern overdubs, especially the organ. Some of us would not think they would want to retouch an ABKCO copyrighter track for 'future release' That got me thinking, and I will just propose the conjecture here....what IF this was one of the proposed tracks for "Metamorphosis" or Bill's "Black Box"? That may explain their willingness to go back to an ABKCO copyrighted track and 'work on it". Or what IF there was thought that ABKCO and the Stones were attempting to collaborate on the Anniversary edition of TSMR? We all know that the lack of bonus tracks or outtakes were a disappointment and wasted the true potential of very special TSMR, "Beggars' Banquet" and "Let It Bleed" anniversary releases by ABKCO alone. Maybe one day we will get the whole story.

Regardless, the existence of this track as we now know it makes us hopeful that some of the other instrumentals may have vocals laid down...

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: March 6, 2021 12:22

Dan wrote:

"LIVING IN THE HEART OF LOVE" How I wish I could have always heard this one clarity wise, but this is a new vocal take, without Keith's background vocals. NOT an improvement. Still this rocker is a great IORR outtake with the most gritty Leslie Speaker guitar tone ever from Keith. The new version has better sonics on Mick Taylor's guitar accents. So much potential in this song.

I wish someone here at IORR would separate the vocals with the great Mick and Keith interplay from the best sounding version of "original outtake"...then matrix them with the new "Fully Finished outtakes" version. (Which probably would need the program to lift the instrumental bed and scrap the 'new' 2000's sounding Mick vocal).

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 6, 2021 12:32

NICOS
I just listing to Desperate Man can't believe this song is from ca 1973.......

You're right. It sounds like is from 2002 Paris sessions or ABB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 12:32 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: March 6, 2021 12:42

KRiffhard
Nobody's Perfect sounds to me like a Paris 2002 outtake

Dirty Work sessions.

[youtu.be]

The original track might come from 1985 but still something in the new release feels to me like it comes from the Paris 2002 sessions.

Actually other tracks from this new set might have been reworked (more or less I don't know) during these 2002 sessions.

The title "Still in Love" can be seen on a monitor in the Tip of the Tongue documentary on Four Flicks. It means they worked on old unreleased tracks then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 13:11 by 999.

Date: March 6, 2021 12:49

KRiffhard
Nobody's Perfect sounds to me like a Paris 2002 outtake

Dirty Work sessions.

[youtu.be]

The original track might come from 1985 but still something in the new release feels to me like it comes from the Paris 2002 sessions.

Actually other tracks from this new set might have been reworked (more or less I don't know) during these 2002 sessions.

The title "Still in Love" can been seen on a monitor in the Tip of the Tongue documentary on Four Flicks. It means they worked on old unreleased tracks then.

Maybe i'm wrong but i hear the DW sound, especially the drum. And Mick's voice is the same of that time. I also thought that was from Primitive Cool sessions!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 12:50 by KRiffhard.

Date: March 6, 2021 12:51

Living In The Heart Of Love and Fast Talking are less developed than the versions we have on bootlegs.

It's also ironic that the official released Extreme Western Grip and Well, Well are included on 'Fully Finished Outtakes' smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 6, 2021 13:00

I understand the source of this release is in mp3 format and was quite compressed to begin with. The bootlegger added more mastering to it...

It makes dating the tracks not easier. Curtis Meets Smokey is supposedly from 1969, but it does sound much more like Undercover session to me. Guitar is in Wood's soul style, bass sounds like it is Jim Barber or something. But the piano again sounds like Nicky Hopkins.

Mathijs

Date: March 6, 2021 13:17

Could "Trouble's a coming" be an embryonic take of Crazy Mama?

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 13:20 by KRiffhard.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 6, 2021 13:30

Mathijs
I understand the source of this release is in mp3 format and was quite compressed to begin with. The bootlegger added more mastering to it...

It makes dating the tracks not easier. Curtis Meets Smokey is supposedly from 1969, but it does sound much more like Undercover session to me. Guitar is in Wood's soul style, bass sounds like it is Jim Barber or something. But the piano again sounds like Nicky Hopkins.
Mathijs[/quote. Doesn’t Nico in his Complete Works list Curtis as coming from late spring 1969 along with Toss the Coin and Vulture?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 13:34 by Taylor1.

Date: March 6, 2021 13:31

KRiffhard

[youtu.be]

No, because its from 1978.

Mathijs

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: March 6, 2021 13:32

I wonder why they didn't use some of this stuff on forty licks in place of the weak bonus material they stuck on it?

The inclusion of 'Juiced' and little extras like the horns added to Strictly Memphis suggest to me that a boxed set might have been in the works. If so, I hope this leak won't stop it happening. This is a fabulous release but a 2CD set of the best material here, with finished vocals and lyrics would be worth paying for. Let's hope Mick still wants to do it.

New album for Xmas 2021, followed by a retrospective/outtakes boxed set for the 60th anniversary in 2022??

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 6, 2021 13:33

Mathijs
KRiffhard

[youtu.be]

Mathijs

Yes, but you can hear similarities in some parts.

Date: March 6, 2021 13:40

Mathijs
KRiffhard

[youtu.be]

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs! Imo it doesn't sound like its from 77/78 sessions. Maybe it comes from IORR/GHS sessions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 13:41 by KRiffhard.

Date: March 6, 2021 13:41

The Rolling Stones Complete Works lists Curtis along with songs So Fine , Old Glory as coming from April 1969 sessions.Maube it’s Brian or Ry Cooder on guitar.I’m sure Brian played guitar on some songs during the Let it Bleed sessions just as a last effort by Mick and Keith to see if he could still function in the band

Date: March 6, 2021 13:44

KRiffhard
Mathijs
KRiffhard

[youtu.be]

Mathijs

Hi Mathijs! Imo it doesn't sound like its from 77/78 sessions. Maybe it comes from IORR/GHS sessions?

1978 for sure, with Keith doing all his favorite country bends he did on just about every song in 1978.

Mathijs

Date: March 6, 2021 13:45

Mathijs
KRiffhard
Mathijs
KRiffhard

[youtu.be]

Mathijs

1978 for sure, with Keith doing all his favorite country bends he did on just about every song in 1978.

Mathijs

thumbs up

Date: March 6, 2021 13:47

Taylor1
The Rolling Stones Complete Works lists Curtis along with songs So Fine , Old Glory as coming from April 1969 sessions.Maube it’s Brian or Ry Cooder on guitar.I’m sure Brian played guitar on some songs during the Let it Bleed sessions just as a last effort by Mick and Keith to see if he could still function in the band

It's absolutely not Jones on guitar, no way he could play this kind of stuff. It's not the style of Keith. It could be Ry Cooder, but I don't know of any song where he plays this kind of style. Dave Mason was around as well, as was Taj Mahal, as was Jesse Ed Davis, as was Clapton.

Mathijs

Date: March 6, 2021 13:52

Mathijs
Taylor1

It's absolutely not Jones on guitar, no way he could play this kind of stuff. It's not the style of Keith. It could be Ry Cooder, but I don't know of any song where he plays this kind of style. Dave Mason was around as well, as was Taj Mahal, as was Jesse Ed Davis, as was Clapton.

Mathijs
. Maybe it comes from the Get a Line on You Sessions with Leon Russell

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 6, 2021 13:54

"Trouble's a coming" does not sound at all like 77/78 to my ears, but very much like the 72/73 material, in fact if I was a betting man I'd put a dime or two on the fact that TAC is in fact the mastered GHS track (see tape reels) that went missing "Give us a Break", which would conveniently explain the "Break Away" title VGP bootleggers originally used for "The Pain of Love "boot. Then it got reworked for BnB and became..."Crazy Mama", that would make sense as they (well Mick) has always made it a point not to "repeat" material, with the exception of "It Must Be Hell" vs "Soul Survivor" possibly.

KRiffhard
HouseBoyKnows
From one of my knowledgable sources explanation of the origin of these compiled tracks, there should not be anything that was recorded after 2002. So unlikely Goddess or BB sessions. I cannot provide further details but the speculation on more discs maybe forthcoming was confirmed.

HBK

Many thanks HBK!!!
I've still some hopes for "High or Low", "Smooth 180" and others BtB outtakes!

Not to mention "English Rose" and "Man Eating Woman", it would be heartbraking not to get these songs, especially "English Rose" after all those years !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 13:58 by gotdablouse.

Date: March 6, 2021 14:03

gotdablouse
"Trouble's a coming" does not sound at all like 77/78 to my ears, but very much like the 72/73 material, in fact if I was a betting man I'd put a dime or two on the fact that TAC is in fact the mastered GHS track (see tape reels) that went missing "Give us a Break", which would conveniently explain the "Break Away" title VGP bootleggers originally used for "The Pain of Love "boot. Then it got reworked for BnB and became..."Crazy Mama", that would make sense as they (well Mick) has always made it a point not to "repeat" material, with the exception of "It Must Be Hell" vs "Soul Survivor" possibly.

KRiffhard
HouseBoyKnows
From one of my knowledgable sources explanation of the origin of these compiled tracks, there should not be anything that was recorded after 2002. So unlikely Goddess or BB sessions. I cannot provide further details but the speculation on more discs maybe forthcoming was confirmed.

HBK

Many thanks HBK!!!

Not to mention "English Rose" and "Man Eating Woman", it would be heartbraking not to get these songs, especially "English Rose" after all those years !

This released version is from 1978 -Richards playing style and his guitar sound (Tele through Boogie MKI) are the giveaways. Charlie's 4-to-the-floor as well, and of course his China crash: check at 2:36.

Mathijs

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 6, 2021 14:04

Day 3 of going through this material, and it is an amazing journey! So many of these songs are high quality and do display that creativity alive and well even into latter years.

Thank you so much to everyone involved in getting this to us. Greatest bootleg release. So much stuff to enjoy and revel in.

How cool is "She's doing her thing"? Utterly charming psych pop whimsy smiling smiley

"Dog Shit" (perhaps 'Bad Luck' may have been title) is amazing! As melodic and propulsive a pop/rocker as they have done.

Hopefully these form part of a box set of outtakes being worked on for release.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: March 6, 2021 14:06

First time I heard Putty (In Your Hands) although the original is by the Shirelles

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 6, 2021 14:09

After listening all these songs what is still missing is the potential hit that Mick is desperately searching since Start Me Up!!!!

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 6, 2021 14:48

Why is it the hit Mick is looking for?
You mean the whole band !!!

Whilst these are a pleasant surprise, it does raise a good point - there isnt much in the 'vault' worthy of a decent release.

Still deciphering...

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: March 6, 2021 15:18

Living in the heart of love feels like a slightly sped up Brown Sugar Rhythmically, and to my ears sounds later than 1974, but I’m no expert at this...thoughts?

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 6, 2021 15:47

johnnythunders
First time I heard Putty (In Your Hands) although the original is by the Shirelles

[www.youtube.com]

It has already been shared a while ago, by some of the guys who taped the Stones outside the windows of the Pathé Marconi Studios in 1985...but it was in poor quality.
I'm glad that after all these years, it has surfaced this way, still the one I like the most of the 50.

HMN

Date: March 6, 2021 15:50

guyrachel
Living in the heart of love feels like a slightly sped up Brown Sugar Rhythmically, and to my ears sounds later than 1974, but I’m no expert at this...thoughts?

Hi
To my ears It's comprehensive stones sound, not really Brown Sugar. But hearing nuances is a very subjective issue.

In the other hand the sound is so polished, so refined, so clean in all the tracks that sometimes is really hard to guess the their exact period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 15:51 by emotionalbarbecue.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 6, 2021 16:53

GasLightStreet
Very cool to hear the original recording of IORR. It's so messy!
Absolutely! This was always a Holy Grail for me. Was starting to doubt it existence. Absolutely LOVE IT

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 6, 2021 19:30

Curtis meets Smokey defintely is from the same sessions of Jamming with Edward. 110% Nicky on piano. Ry Cooder on guitar. Listen to "Higland fling". Jagger noodling on vocals is the same too.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 6, 2021 19:41

Mathijs
gotdablouse

KRiffhard
HouseBoyKnows

HBK

Many thanks HBK!!!

This released version is from 1978 -Richards playing style and his guitar sound (Tele through Boogie MKI) are the giveaways. Charlie's 4-to-the-floor as well, and of course his China crash: check at 2:36.

Mathijs

yes. And Ian McLagan on keys. Definitely not Hopkins, Preston or Stu

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 48

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1610
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home