Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 48
Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on IORR Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 12, 2021 00:42

So, if from Italian seller it's not the real deal? Call me stupid but those graphs look identical to me, there should be a huge difference in dynamic range between 320 and 160. Maybe they were mastered at different (lower or higher) levels as most cd's are confused smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 00:55 by shadooby.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 12, 2021 02:50

Again, well, yeah, thats what we got. Thats what they (the producers) got. Its either that or nothing. Just put it on the bay and you might even make some money. Or pass it on to someone here and give them a break on the price. Thats the way it goes with boots.

Personally, I think it sounds fine for what it is. If an official version ever comes out somehow, maybe it will be better, but I would not bet the farm on that.

jb

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 12, 2021 06:47

Italian seller? I "pre-ordered" one from the second batch that is supposed to be coming in in 2-3 weeks, but the seller is from Stockholm. So WTH???

plexi

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 12, 2021 06:56

like I said ... every bootlegger
and their dogs will be pumpin' out
copies of this one baby .....

ya might even get it in blood splatter vinyl ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 12, 2021 10:07

retired_dog
It's not really complicated, it only gets complicated because people mix up songwriter's copyrights (including first release rights) with neighboring copyrights (performers, record companies) all the time - despite the fact that it all has been discussed here again and again in the past.

Only the latter (neighboring copyrights of performers, record companies) expire if they are not legally released within a period of 50 years in the EU, counting from the end of the year the actual recording of a performance took place. This does not affect the songwriter's copyrights because they usually expire 70 years after their death(s).

That means that while the recording of say, Rolling Stones in Paris 1965 is already in the public domain, if one actually uses it for a CD or vinyl release, one still has to pay mechanical royalties to the songwriters who can't block such a release, but still need to get paid.

This basically also works for studio outtakes of previously released songs, but not for previously unreleased songs like Curtis Meets Smokey or She's Doing Her Thing because while the recordings are in the public domain, the songwriting copyrights aren't, and songwriters can still use their first publication right to effectively block them from release.

If 100's of sharp dressed lawyers can make a living out of this matter I call it 'complicated'.

Question though -your example of the 1965 Paris show: who has the publishing rights? You would expect hundreds of 'official' releases from 1960's artists, but that is not happening. In fact, try to release something I consider to be in the open domain by Jimi Hendrix or The Beatles and you will be prosecuted the next day.

Mathijs

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 12, 2021 11:30

timbernardis

Italian seller? I "pre-ordered" one from the second batch that is supposed to be coming in in 2-3 weeks, but the seller is from Stockholm.

There're currently 2 sellers: [www.eBay.it] - Milan , [www.eBay.com] - Stockholm.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 12, 2021 12:02

This is a part of eclectic Stones sound that i miss more on their last works.
Those r'n'r'n'reggae vibes!!

[youtu.be]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2021 12:09

Yeah that was a good surprise of the set as I remembered the known versions from the "RCA sessions" as a bit of a bore. But I went back to them after getting this new set and was surprised to find that they already had a bit of reggae in them, not as fleshed out as this new version though.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: March 12, 2021 13:16

shadooby
So, if from Italian seller it's not the real deal? Call me stupid but those graphs look identical to me, there should be a huge difference in dynamic range between 320 and 160. Maybe they were mastered at different (lower or higher) levels as most cd's are confused smiley

Graph are identicals because the source is the same : 128 kbps mp3.

You can convert the files to 320 kbps mp3, flac CD quality, or flac HD 24 bits 96 kHz, the graph 'll be still the same.

Frequencies over 16 kHz are definitively lost because the files were encoded at some point (before the bootleggers got them) in 128 kbps mp3.

We can't compare with the original files, but many high frequencies are now missing in this wonderful leak.
If one day we get the lossless files, the difference 'll be clearly perceptible for everyone.
128 kbps mp3 is very lossy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 13:18 by Massimo68.

Date: March 12, 2021 14:03

What nonsense...I've wasted enough time with this ridiculous lossy/lossless when we just got the best sounding outtakes in the history of boots (apart from possibly the Voodoo Series and the 2002 sessions) but these are NOT 128kbps MP3 files because you can hear encoding artifacts with that bitrate (much harder at 192, impossible at 320), like swishing cymbals and there is none of that here.

There could be many reasons for the frequencies above 16khz to have been lost (not that anyone can hear them mind you, don't believe me ? Just try an online frequency generator above 12khz and see what happens !) like cassette dubs (max frequency 15khz). Now since you have time to waste just put all your "lossless" boots through the free Spec application [spek.cc] and be ready to cry when you see most of them top off at 12khz (at best) in terms of actual audio with the rest above being "noise", you know the horrible hiss we were happy to get with any outtake that made its way to us ;-)

Oh and one last thing, the cutoff limit has nothing to do with the actual bitrate, it's just a setting in the encoder, you can set it to 12/16/20khz regardless of the bitrate. Actually the lower the better because you have more bandwidth the the actual frequencies you can hear, it is after all a perceptual codec...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 14:09 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 12, 2021 15:05

My opinion :
with lossy files you just don't lose the high end, all the frequencies are affected. That is the music loses some of its fleshy quality.

Listen to this boot repeatedly and them play a 1985 outtake (say the wonderful "What Am I Gonna Do With Your Love") and you'll notice the music suddenly sounds fuller (even though it's probably taken from that cassette leaked - by Ron? - around 1987).

Am I complaining about the "Fully Finished Studio Outtakes" being lossy? Not one minute. Given my life expectancy (and most members' here) grinning smiley it's my only chance to get an opportunity to have a glimpse at the band's vaults.
This massive leak of new music might force Mick to change his mind and release the stuff "soon" [3/5 years] instead of "some day" [never?] but in the meantime, I'll go the 128 or 192 way. thumbs up

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 12, 2021 18:14

Mathijs
retired_dog
It's not really complicated, it only gets complicated because people mix up songwriter's copyrights (including first release rights) with neighboring copyrights (performers, record companies) all the time - despite the fact that it all has been discussed here again and again in the past.

Only the latter (neighboring copyrights of performers, record companies) expire if they are not legally released within a period of 50 years in the EU, counting from the end of the year the actual recording of a performance took place. This does not affect the songwriter's copyrights because they usually expire 70 years after their death(s).

That means that while the recording of say, Rolling Stones in Paris 1965 is already in the public domain, if one actually uses it for a CD or vinyl release, one still has to pay mechanical royalties to the songwriters who can't block such a release, but still need to get paid.

This basically also works for studio outtakes of previously released songs, but not for previously unreleased songs like Curtis Meets Smokey or She's Doing Her Thing because while the recordings are in the public domain, the songwriting copyrights aren't, and songwriters can still use their first publication right to effectively block them from release.

If 100's of sharp dressed lawyers can make a living out of this matter I call it 'complicated'.

Question though -your example of the 1965 Paris show: who has the publishing rights? You would expect hundreds of 'official' releases from 1960's artists, but that is not happening. In fact, try to release something I consider to be in the open domain by Jimi Hendrix or The Beatles and you will be prosecuted the next day.

Mathijs

The "100's of sharp dressed lawyers that can make a living out of this matter" only exist in your imagination.

If you show me any cases where certain "public domain" releases have been successfully sued, I'm 100% certain that I can show you exactly why. There are indeed releases that do not stick to the rules I mentioned in my above post by including material, maybe just even one or two tracks, that legally should not be there, but that's because the respective labels either didn't know what they were doing or were intentionally trying to push the legal boundaries a bit further and end in illegal territory, and lots of those remain in print since years, untouched by your "100's of sharp dressed lawyers"...

The reason why not more of public domain recordings from 1960's artists are released has imo more to do with a) the scarcity of sufficient quality material and b) the general market situation. Exclude the big names like Stones and Beatles and a few others and you may experience a hard time trying to sell more than possibly a few hundred of, let's say, a mediocre live recording of the Spencer Davis Group. It's just not worth the effort.

And of course, you have to know exactly what you're doing to avoid trouble.

Your question alone of who's owning the publishing rights to the 1965 Stones Paris show is telling enough that you still have absolutely no clue, otherwise my explanation in my post above concerning Paris 1965 would have been more than enough!

Just a small hint: Who composed "Hey Crawdaddy", "Carol", "It's All Over Now", "Little Red Rooster", "Off The Hook" and all the other songs included in this particular show?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 18:29 by retired_dog.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 12, 2021 19:46

so what is the more popular theory about the origin of this collected material at the moment?

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 12, 2021 19:50

Wow, this has been quite a thread. I've learned some things, been confused by some things and shook my head at A LOT of things, but ultimately...I hope to finish this collection this weekend. I've gotten through 2 1/2 discs worth so far. I burned the initial offering of mp3s to CDRs and then burned the "FLACs" that were later offered, though they sound to me like they are the same quality...which seems to have been confirmed by the reports that these "FLACs" aren't actually FLACs after all.....but whatever they are.....these sound AMAZING! I too remember listening to countless hours of hissy outtake bootlegs over the decades, and indeed paying $75-100 for a collection such as this (boxes like "Performances", "Hot Stuff Vol.2 - In Studio", etc.) and now you can get this stuff for free AND it sounds this good?? Holy hell, how great is that! Even as mp3s I'm in hog heaven.

P.S., I'm still the weirdo (I suppose) who thinks that "Nobody's Perfect" could be from later than '85, seems too clean for the Dirty Work seesions, maybe even a track from the Licks sessions...the production seems very "Keys to Your Love"-ish to me. But that's another story cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 20:10 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: March 12, 2021 19:55

Here is the CMR verdict

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 12, 2021 19:55

Massimo68
shadooby

Graph are identicals because the source is the same : 128 kbps mp3.

You can convert the files to 320 kbps mp3, flac CD quality, or flac HD 24 bits 96 kHz, the graph 'll be still the same.

Frequencies over 16 kHz are definitively lost because the files were encoded at some point (before the bootleggers got them) in 128 kbps mp3.

We can't compare with the original files, but many high frequencies are now missing in this wonderful leak.
If one day we get the lossless files, the difference 'll be clearly perceptible for everyone.
128 kbps mp3 is very lossy.

I've found out there are at least 2 types of tracks in this compilation : very low bitrate tracks with a very straight cut off above 15k Hz (typical of a 128kbps mp3) and tracks with a little higher bitrate with a gradual cut off around 17k Hz (it looks like a 190~220kbps mp3).
This may be (or may be not) a hint at two different sources for this compilation.

The lower bitrate tracks (with the straight cut off) are mostly the older ones (Blood Red Wine, She's doing her thing, Scarlet, Living in the heart of love, IORR demo, etc.).

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 12, 2021 20:36

The following link has been added to the first post of this thread, as a reference:

Ideas about the sources of the new outtakes collection (Hot Stuff Thread)

Bjornulf

Date: March 12, 2021 21:10

floodonthepage
Wow, this has been quite a thread. I've learned some things, been confused by some things and shook my head at A LOT of things, but ultimately...I hope to finish this collection this weekend. I've gotten through 2 1/2 discs worth so far. I burned the initial offering of mp3s to CDRs and then burned the "FLACs" that were later offered, though they sound to me like they are the same quality...which seems to have been confirmed by the reports that these "FLACs" aren't actually FLACs after all.....but whatever they are.....these sound AMAZING! I too remember listening to countless hours of hissy outtake bootlegs over the decades, and indeed paying $75-100 for a collection such as this (boxes like "Performances", "Hot Stuff Vol.2 - In Studio", etc.) and now you can get this stuff for free AND it sounds this good?? Holy hell, how great is that! Even as mp3s I'm in hog heaven.

P.S., I'm still the weirdo (I suppose) who thinks that "Nobody's Perfect" could be from later than '85, seems too clean for the Dirty Work seesions, maybe even a track from the Licks sessions...the production seems very "Keys to Your Love"-ish to me. But that's another story cool smiley

The vocals on Nobody's Perfect are obviously from the 2000s. The guitars sound like 1977-79 to me.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 12, 2021 21:11

bv
The following link has been added to the first post of this thread, as a reference:

Ideas about the sources of the new outtakes collection (Hot Stuff Thread)

thanx a lot

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 12, 2021 21:23

DandelionPowderman
floodonthepage

The vocals on Nobody's Perfect are obviously from the 2000s. The guitars sound like 1977-79 to me.

thumbs up Could maybe be used for an 'Emotional Rescue' Deluxe then? cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 22:07 by floodonthepage.

Date: March 12, 2021 21:49

johnnythunders
Here is the CMR verdict

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

Always nice to see a detailed review and he's read the threads here and even references a...reference thread (no link though) but there are way too many mistakes ! He should have had it proofread by even a casual fan. I guess it's ok not to know that "Trouble's A Coming" was previously booted as "Break Away" but not that Keith originally sang "Deep Love", that "Fast Talking" is not from the Paris 77 sessions or that "Giving It Up" and "Ivy League" were not officially released (since "CV" seems to mean that, Current Version?) somehow ?!

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-12 22:30 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 12, 2021 21:56

The guitars sound like 77-79? On Nobody´s perfect? Where is the weaving? The bendings and the licks? Sounds more like 2002 to me.

Date: March 12, 2021 22:32

And on NP Mick sounds exactly like he did on Primitive Cool so...each to their own I suppose ;-)

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-13 15:01 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 12, 2021 22:56

gotdablouse
Andbon NP Mick sounds exactly like he did on Primitive Cool so...each to their own I suppose ;-)

NP seems a Primitive Cool outtake

Date: March 12, 2021 23:30

Not according to Bill Wyman who would probably know!

--------------

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: March 13, 2021 04:13

Are these for sale somewhere? When it comes to downloading music & different formats I am clueless

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 13, 2021 04:19

Yes, on ebay from an Italian and a Swedish seller. The links have been posted in the last couple of pages in this thread.

plexi

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: March 13, 2021 04:30

The song 'It's a lie' ... best track of the bunch. Sugar Blue & guitar at end wow

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: March 13, 2021 04:51

Thanks

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 13, 2021 09:20

monkberry00
DandelionPowderman

You may have a lot of guitar strings but you don't have a clue about the music, you never did.

Not very nice.
If you have another opinion there's no need getting rude

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2021222324252627282930...LastNext
Current Page: 25 of 48

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home