Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748Next
Current Page: 47 of 48
Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on IORR Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 6, 2021 12:59

Mathijs any insider info about future volumes?
Iirc there were talks of 150 tracks in total, released on 9 CDs.

But as you wrote here a few months ago, there are (sadly) legal pressures to make sure this doesn't happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-06 18:01 by dcba.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: December 7, 2021 15:22

Thankful the first set was released
It was amazing to listen to going to Charlotte and recently coming back from Gainesville ..long trips
I mean like 4 hours of great music
Thank you again for this body of work87

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 9, 2021 07:36

kkhoranstoned
It was amazing to listen to going to Charlotte and recently coming back from Gainesville ..long trips

This is why I've (kindly, I think) argued with Gazza over the years about unfinished Stones recordings being released.

The perception that they need to have things finished... especially in regard as to when they started the songs or recorded the songs and, in some cases, finished them (loads of albums, between LET IT BLEED and UNDERCOVER, and recently with the EXILE, SOME GIRLS, GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU deluxe reissues, regardless of timeline issues) is not, perhaps, as relevant as some may think.

If it was, why are the bootlegs so bootlegged and popular, as they are, amongst fans?

Granted, it may be more along the lines of 1.5 million people interested, not 3 or 7 million, for that matter in regard to some album sales back when that mattered. But over time... who knows. Every day someone somewhere "discovers" music which may more than not include The Rolling Stones.

Regardless of the fact that The Beatles were long done with when the anthologies came out, anything from the Stones up to 1994, at this point, but maybe more so, long term, 1989, and even that can be dialed back to 1986, and 1983 and 1980... could've had a similar treatment.

That fan base is really starting to get old.

Although there's no way to gauge sales in regard to bootlegs, when sales mattered during the times of REWIND and JUMP BACK and FORTY LICKS yet alone the various studio albums within those - there is an interest in what the Stones have done amongst unfinished, half way finished and even "finished" songs that have never been released.

And they have loads of them.

Just as long as they aren't mastered by Stephen Marcussen.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 10, 2021 04:04

GasLightStreet
kkhoranstoned

This is why I've (kindly, I think) argued with Gazza over the years about unfinished Stones recordings being released.

The perception that they need to have things finished... especially in regard as to when they started the songs or recorded the songs and, in some cases, finished them (loads of albums, between LET IT BLEED and UNDERCOVER, and recently with the EXILE, SOME GIRLS, GOATS HEAD SOUP and TATTOO YOU deluxe reissues, regardless of timeline issues) is not, perhaps, as relevant as some may think.

If it was, why are the bootlegs so bootlegged and popular, as they are, amongst fans?

Granted, it may be more along the lines of 1.5 million people interested, not 3 or 7 million, for that matter in regard to some album sales back when that mattered. But over time... who knows. Every day someone somewhere "discovers" music which may more than not include The Rolling Stones.

Regardless of the fact that The Beatles were long done with when the anthologies came out, anything from the Stones up to 1994, at this point, but maybe more so, long term, 1989, and even that can be dialed back to 1986, and 1983 and 1980... could've had a similar treatment.

Although there's no way to gauge sales in regard to bootlegs, when sales mattered during the times of REWIND and JUMP BACK and FORTY LICKS yet alone the various studio albums within those - there is an interest in what the Stones have done amongst unfinished, half way finished and even "finished" songs that have never been released.

Yes, in terms of 'sales volume' they've really missed the boat by sitting on this stuff for so long. Doesn't mean they shouldn't still, just for fans sake but as you say the base is getting old.

Oh well, they can't do everything right...the live music is one thing they've given us for far longer than we had a right to imagine.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 11, 2021 02:21

You two need to create a new thread and carry on your fight there, that way no one can accuse you of being off topic.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: December 11, 2021 06:21

GasLightStreet

I would even take this a little further. I find the lack of outstanding boxed sets from The Stones -- like Dylan's bootleg series, countless super deluxe editions by artists like The Who or The Yardbirds or Chuck Berry -- a disgrace. So far all boxed sets (starting with Ya-Yas) have been rip-offs. (Ya-Yas with a single disc of four live songs?! Seriously?). And it's not just the lack of unfinished Stones material. Keef could have put out boxed sets of his first two solo albums that weren't only pretty looking but contained more than a few jams and an audio concert. I regard his first two solo albums a truly exciting and creative period of his career. It's a pity that we cannot see more video footage, or hear more in- progress riffs from the Man.
It is indeed puzzling why they do not release more unfinished takes. Who wouldn't like to hear how Satisfaction or Jumping Jack Flash or Emotional Rescue evolved from take to take?
It's not only a bad decision in terms of business, but it's also disrespectful to fans. It is also painful to see how much more thought and care goes into other artists' reissues. I doubt generation X will be interested in previously unreleased material by The Stones put out in 20 years' time when indeed Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift rule their world...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-11 06:23 by frenki09.

Date: December 12, 2021 18:41

I agree .the stones run a tight ship
About information
Is there 10 unreleased songs
That we have never heard of?
Does anyone know how many sessions
They had in the last 5 years
Was there a band /company meeting
In the last 3 months?
Is four flicks still getting a release??
If it's off topic I apologize

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: December 12, 2021 19:11

frenki09
I would even take this a little further. I find the lack of outstanding boxed sets from The Stones -- like Dylan's bootleg series...

Spot On, I would have dreamed of it, but it will never happen...
The Official Discography of the Stones is already a mess for the die-hard fans and other completists.
The Vaults official or not are even worst.

HMN

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 12, 2021 20:25

kkhoranstoned

Is there 10 unreleased songs That we have never heard of?
Does anyone know how many sessions They had in the last 5 years

See here: [StonesSessions.com] - (Appendix - Session List).

kkhoranstoned

Was there a band /company meeting In the last 3 months?

The Band had met in the last 3 months and they have no contractual obligation in the recording part & no deadline - [iorr.org] , [iorr.org] .

kkhoranstoned

Is four flicks still getting a release??

Yes - [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 12, 2021 22:02

frenki09
GasLightStreet

I would even take this a little further. I find the lack of outstanding boxed sets from The Stones -- like Dylan's bootleg series, countless super deluxe editions by artists like The Who or The Yardbirds or Chuck Berry -- a disgrace. So far all boxed sets (starting with Ya-Yas) have been rip-offs. (Ya-Yas with a single disc of four live songs?! Seriously?). And it's not just the lack of unfinished Stones material. Keef could have put out boxed sets of his first two solo albums that weren't only pretty looking but contained more than a few jams and an audio concert. I regard his first two solo albums a truly exciting and creative period of his career. It's a pity that we cannot see more video footage, or hear more in- progress riffs from the Man.
It is indeed puzzling why they do not release more unfinished takes. Who wouldn't like to hear how Satisfaction or Jumping Jack Flash or Emotional Rescue evolved from take to take?
It's not only a bad decision in terms of business, but it's also disrespectful to fans. It is also painful to see how much more thought and care goes into other artists' reissues. I doubt generation X will be interested in previously unreleased material by The Stones put out in 20 years' time when indeed Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift rule their world...

OT, but:

Poor Bob Seger really missed the boat (and millions) by not releasing a box set. Ditto any live audio since 1981, and no live video. There's got to be tons of great stuff in his vaults.

Date: December 12, 2021 22:54

Thank you for information

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 23, 2021 18:24

Mathijs
JordyLicks96

I know most people say "Every Time I Break Her Heart" is from 1977-78 b/c it sounds like some variation of "Far Away Eyes" but to me it sounds more like 1982 sessions. Keith's guitar sounds very similar to the other Undercover songs plus "She Was Hot", Mick's 'manly vocal' he had going during that time period.

I absolutely agree with you. 1982 is much more fitting sound wise. And it is certainly not a 'pre-' version of Faraway Eyes.

Mathijs

Pro-1982 : the flanger (?) sound is the same as the one heard on a certified 82 outtake "In Your Hand".
Con-1982 : back then Jagger was just dying to stay relevant and he was starting to chase the latest musical trends, so why would he write a song in a style as dated, old and passe as country? UC was all about new sounds.

Imho "Every Time I Break Her Heart" does sound similar to FAE (same key of F, same guitar licks).

Date: December 23, 2021 19:02

<UC was all about new sounds>

Like Tie You Up, Wanna Hold You, Pretty Beat Up, Too Tough, All The Way Down and It Must Be Hell? smiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 23, 2021 19:54

dcba

Con-1982 : back then Jagger was just dying to stay relevant and he was starting to chase the latest musical trends, so why would he write a song in a style as dated, old and passe as country? UC was all about new sounds.

He was doing the same (even more so) in 1977 but still wrote 'Far Away Eyes'

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 6, 2022 06:45

Just listening to this collection again and "Built That Way" is a stand out track for me. What a wonderful groove the whole band is in, would have been a great song If they finished it. Is that Chuck on Piano?

"Keep It Cool" is another good one. It's kind of like Jazzy a version of Fingerprint File, and it has that New-Wavish guitar sound that's on Too Much Blood.

Edit... I read that Built That Way was an 85 outtake, but I checked on a thread here that said it was from 75. That makes more sense because it sure sounds like Billy on piano. And the guitar tone sounds like 75.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-06 07:36 by ryanpow.

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: March 6, 2022 11:07

ryanpow
Just listening to this collection again and "Built That Way" is a stand out track for me. What a wonderful groove the whole band is in, would have been a great song If they finished it. Is that Chuck on Piano?

"Keep It Cool" is another good one. It's kind of like Jazzy a version of Fingerprint File, and it has that New-Wavish guitar sound that's on Too Much Blood.

Edit... I read that Built That Way was an 85 outtake, but I checked on a thread here that said it was from 75. That makes more sense because it sure sounds like Billy on piano. And the guitar tone sounds like 75.

This vocal version comes from 19750122-0209 Rotterdam Sessions, MRU.(IMO). Most of the infos on various releases of the FFSO are wrong.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 6, 2022 11:34

For those who missed it
see
IORR
All the thanks to Glimmerman indeed winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: March 6, 2022 14:10

I’m trecking back on this thread a little but reading about the possible legal delays to further issues of these tapes - when has that ever stopped a bootlegger?

Date: March 6, 2022 18:01

Thank you always hope

Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 7, 2022 01:12

ryanpow

Most definitely from '75. I'm actually a bit insulted that they left this stellar track off of Black and Blue. Could have easily replaced "Melody." It also sounds like Wayne Perkins on guitar along with Keith. Check out this article from New Music Express published on Dec. 21, 1974. If you look at the paragraphs all the way to the right towards the bottom, the writer states he attended the Stones sessions from early December and goes on to talk about a song they've been working on that started off as a "Heatwave" riff and than turned into something "Amazingly original." This would be "Built That Way." smiling smiley

[i.ibb.co]

Date: March 7, 2022 17:23

JordyLicks96
ryanpow

Most definitely from '75. I'm actually a bit insulted that they left this stellar track off of Black and Blue. Could have easily replaced "Melody." It also sounds like Wayne Perkins on guitar along with Keith. Check out this article from New Music Express published on Dec. 21, 1974. If you look at the paragraphs all the way to the right towards the bottom, the writer states he attended the Stones sessions from early December and goes on to talk about a song they've been working on that started off as a "Heatwave" riff and than turned into something "Amazingly original." This would be "Built That Way." smiling smiley

[i.ibb.co]

Interesting, the article seems to say it's Jagger on the Piano.

Date: March 7, 2022 18:09

ryanpow
JordyLicks96
ryanpow

[i.ibb.co]

Interesting, the article seems to say it's Jagger on the Piano.

I think they were working out the song in December '74 and fully recorded it in January-February '75 with Billy Preston on piano. Jagger was probably writing the piano part for the song.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 7, 2022 19:06

The fact that "Built That Way" is built on "Heatwave" is one reason it never went anywhere.

Date: March 7, 2022 19:12

To me, the two songs have very minimum similarities in the end. I guess the Stones thought people would call them out for ripping off "Heatwave." I think "Built That Way" is original and could have been a great single for them.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 7, 2022 21:07

if built that way is a rip off of heatwave, 90% of rock'n'roll/rhythm and blues songs are a rip off something

paul weller built a reputation on great grooves like this, and rightly so

shame on em for shelving it

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 7, 2022 21:09

maumau
if built that way is a rip off of heatwave, 90% of rock'n'roll/rhythm and blues songs are a rip off something

thumbs up

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: March 7, 2022 22:32

Hairball
maumau

thumbs up

great song

them not including this on the deluxe tattoo you is what gives me hope that a deluxe black and blue will happen

Date: March 7, 2022 22:48

I can hear how it's kind of a variation of Heat Wave. Similar to how the riff To Satisfaction sounds like No Where to Run, No Where to Hide.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-08 03:24 by ryanpow.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 8, 2022 07:46

Well, how could they curate a boxed set without the help of Bill, their historian?

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: March 19, 2022 17:21

Where can I download all of these tracks 40-50 of them now?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748Next
Current Page: 47 of 48

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home