Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 48
Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on IORR Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 17, 2021 23:23

I downloaded the Studio Outtakes Vol. 1, 2, 3 and Extra plus Living In A Ghost Town it was the first time I've ever downloaded music as I'm a big believer in buying the Cd or vinyl record from music stores. But I must say downloading it was too easy, too easy and quite fun I might look at doing it again with other songs yet, but only music not available on CD or vinyl

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 18, 2021 00:35

Here on this gloriously beautiful Southern California day, I popped cd#3 in to my car cd player, and am in the process of the full immersion process. Quick drive down to my studio by the beach, and only made it up to track three so far. Wasn't ever too fond of track #1 Sanctuary, but it does have a particular mood and vibe that might be better experienced and appreciated at 3:00Am after the clubs and bars have all closed on a cold night- not on a warm bright sunny day near the beach. Track #2 is a true keeper...some smooth groovin' with Mick...could use a bit more work imo, but damn...a shame it was never fully finished and officially released. And then to track #3 Praire Love - not sure if Praire is misspelled, and if not what it might mean, but damn this is a smokin' tune! No doubt the Prince influence is loud and clear, a little bit of a rap, and that guitar riff throughout is supremely funky good stuff. Sounds like Parliament meets Prince meets the Stones, and then Mick takes the vocals from soft and subdued at the beginning, to full on belting it out full blast...shouting it out loud like only Mick can. Wishing it would go on and on much longer than the five minutes, twenty one seconds. Listening now at home loud on the laptop and my wife just came dancing and weaving through the living room on her way to the back yard while totally lost in the funky grooves.... cool smiley...she's a great dancer, and has always been a big Prince fan...I knew she'd be digging on this tune. Can't wait to get back in the car, and might even make a special drive up the Pacific Coat Highway listening to the rest of cd#3 - I usually only do that sacred listening ritual when it's a brand new album that I've anxiously looked forward to, and I suppose this "new" 3 cd set fits the bill nicely.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 22, 2021 10:49

I'm surprised how much I dig Living In THe Heart Of Love now. The bootleg versions I didn't appreciate, it was like a parody of Rolling Stones, but this version here, has so much better vocals from Jagger, and playing from Taylor, I changed my mind completely about this song.

Date: April 22, 2021 11:01

Erik_Snow
I'm surprised how much I dig Living In THe Heart Of Love now. The bootleg versions I didn't appreciate, it was like a parody of Rolling Stones, but this version here, has so much better vocals from Jagger, and playing from Taylor, I changed my mind completely about this song.

The guitar sounds Taylor and Keith have on this version is incredible.

I miss (at least) one of the backing vocal tracks from that other version, but I'm inclined to agree with you.

However, after 1-2 minutes the song is kinda dead. I miss a break/bridge/middle 8 or something else happening. I have the same problem with Criss Cross, btw.

But it's nice to have this version thumbs up

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 22, 2021 11:08

DandelionPowderman
The guitar sounds Taylor and Keith have on this version is incredible.

Yes! It's so mean and hard-hitting. I usually dislike the "effects" on guitars that were popular in the 70s and 80s, but here - them effects turns it all into another dimension. Just like on "Can You Hear The Music" - it wouldn't be same song if it wasn't for them guitar-soundscape.

Date: April 22, 2021 23:48

Been listening to cd 3 quite a bit lately, and I came to the conclusion that Too Many Cooks has always been one of my absolute top favorite Mick solo tracks. I came to that same conclusion many years ago, but realized it again after hearing so much of it lately. The funny thing is that even with the John Lennon as producer connection, it's not that great of a song. It sounds quite dated, like the theme to a '70's cop tv show (see S.W.A.T.).
Great backing musicians involved according to the credits as seen on wiki (including Al Kooper, Jack Bruce, Jim Keltner, and Harry Nilsson along with others), but perhaps thats part of the problem - too many cooks involved.
Was kind of surprised when it landed on Micks "Very Best" compilation considering it was never officially released prior, but figured he was running out of ideas to include that could fall under the "very best" category.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: April 23, 2021 21:03

Erik_Snow

that´s quite interesting how different we feel about music.
For me, this "new" version is far worse than the bootleg-version. Better sound of drums and guitar but such boring new voice, backing vox to low in the mix. No, I keep my old version that I love.

Date: April 23, 2021 21:09

Hairball
Been listening to cd 3 quite a bit lately, and I came to the conclusion that Too Many Cooks has always been one of my absolute top favorite Mick solo tracks. I came to that same conclusion many years ago, but realized it again after hearing so much of it lately. The funny thing is that even with the John Lennon as producer connection, it's not that great of a song. It sounds quite dated, like the theme to a '70's cop tv show (see S.W.A.T.).
Great backing musicians involved according to the credits as seen on wiki (including Al Kooper, Jack Bruce, Jim Keltner, and Harry Nilsson along with others), but perhaps thats part of the problem - too many cooks involved.
Was kind of surprised when it landed on Micks "Very Best" compilation considering it was never officially released prior, but figured he was running out of ideas to include that could fall under the "very best" category.

I love this tune. And while Mick probably took a copy of the bootleg for his BEST OF ALbum, this new one is a major upgrade. This damned noisy Hi-hat that ruined the old version is now as low as it should be and the sound overal is great. Ok, maybe it´s old fashinoned, but hey, we´re talking Stones, not a really new band...

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: April 23, 2021 22:10

Living in the Heart of Love. Hmm.There's a difference between inspiration and perspiration. LITHOL always sounded like the latter to me, which is why it remained unreleased IMHO.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 24, 2021 18:23

Not being that great at burning CD's etc. could anyone tell me if there are any audio links for Living in a ghost town and Eazy Sleazy.
I know there are the youtube videos but can't put them on a CD for the audio as far as I know.
Was gonna put them on the Outtakes Extra 10 tracks as tracks 11 and 12.

Any answers very much appreciated.smileys with beer

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 24, 2021 19:00

crawdaddy
Not being that great at burning CD's etc. could anyone tell me if there are any audio links for Living in a ghost town and Eazy Sleazy.
I know there are the youtube videos but can't put them on a CD for the audio as far as I know.

With free Software JDownloader you can download audio of YouTube videos

Date: April 24, 2021 22:22

crawdaddy

Try this
[notube.net]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 25, 2021 00:11

Thanks so much for the tips guys and will see how it goes on a lazy Sunday afternoon tomorrow.smileys with beer

Date: April 27, 2021 08:37

Ivy League is a great tune, and I don't recall the older boot version being as "fully finished" as this latest fully finished version is.
Will have to dig out the old Voodoo boots to compare and contrast.

Date: April 30, 2021 00:08

Strictly Memphis...throughout the years thought it was OK, but it seemed to be a relic stuck in the '80s...like it could have been part of a cheesy movie soundtrack...like Car Wash, Convoy, or maybe a buddy movie like the funny Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder film Stir Crazy. But now...having cd #3 in the car the last couple of weeks on repeat, and having it cranked very loud today, the genius of Strictly Memphis fully hit me like a slap up side the head. Right when I least expected it! Can't recall if any of the previous versions have Bobby Womack singing (will have to check later) but damn he adds some greatness to this tune! Coming right after the always excellent Criss Cross, it almost caught me off guard how much I love this tune now. I felt like jumping out of the car, start marching down the middle of the highway, and shouting along the lyrics full blast with Mick and Bobby. But then reality set back in and realized not such a good idea...ha...

Then came the It's Only Rock n' Roll demo...hearing the blueprint for the classic again... started paying attention to little nuances that might have previously gone unnoticed.
There's seems a bit of a stutter step in the rhythm, enhanced by the simplistic drum beat from Kenny Jones which takes it all to another level away from a standard bluesy/Chuck Berry-esque type of tune.
Still have a hard time hearing Bowie as obvious, loud and clear as some have claimed, but he's definitely in there. Imagine being a fly on the wall at that party!

Anyhow, between the local Los Angeles news radio, and currently cd#3, I've been quite fully fulfilled the last month or so with these Fully Finished Studio Outtakes, and as soon as I'm fully done with cd #3 (I'm almost there), will probably start from scratch back at square one with cd one, then cd two, and repeat...and there's the GHS extras...and the Ghost Town single...if they can't give us anything more new than a single, hopefully they'll continue to give us more from the past. Or maybe there will be another massive leak of other demos, outtakes, etc., etc., etc. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-30 00:21 by Hairball.

Question about "You Better Stop That"
Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: May 2, 2021 01:54

Hi:
Listening to the new "FFO" collection and I can't help but think that "You Better Stop That" from 1982 is a somehow dry run of "She Was Hot." Identical drum track and a lot of similar sounding guitars and vocal melody from Mick. Any thoughts?

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: May 3, 2021 19:19

Dunno about that. They certainly did record some very similar shouty rants at that time. On this one, before he bellows the title line,Jagger appears to shout 'Bad Sailor' several times. Is it really a song about a below-par seaman, or can anyone decipher it?

Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: May 3, 2021 21:01

Still in Love stands out for me. Loved it without lyrics/vocals when it came out years ago. Love it now with Mick's vocals and Keith's backing vocals/chorus.
Amazing song.
Formidable vibe.
An unique piece or art that doesn't have anything alike in their catalogue.
It stands by its own.
Same goes to Guess I Should Know (would love to get a finished studio outtake of it). Both are unique and proves me that The Stones are way better than they get credit for. And that's saying a lot!

Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: frtylicks ()
Date: May 3, 2021 22:37

ManuelStones
Still in Love stands out for me. Loved it without lyrics/vocals when it came out years ago. Love it now with Mick's vocals and Keith's backing vocals/chorus.
Amazing song.

I'm gonna post the lyrics that I heard to Still In Love, I know some are wrong, could someone please help me with the corrected lyrics. Thanks frtylicks!

Come with me, to crowded streets
through the rain, and through the heat,
can't you see, I'm crazy for you,
And I mean what I said,
I want you back,
All Im gone say,
it's a troubled question,
put an old fashioned way,

That involves, dusty houses,
and all those faded, avenues,
And I hate to see, the streets of sorrow,
turn your back, turn your back on tomorrow,
Yeah, i'm still in love with you,
and I thought sometime today,
I want you back,
I want you back right away,
my body's a wreck,
i said sometime today,

We can talk, for hours and hours,
stranger houses, the love i feel for you
you can take, sweet possessions,
the lover's question,
cant you see, I'm crazy,
I'm still in love with you,
and I want you back,
I want you today,
and I thought sometime today,

I want you back,
i said sometime today,

Interlude

And I walk, for hours,
uh, cause i'm finding dead flowers,
oh, I'm crazy, bout you,
Yeah, I want you back,
I wont never say,
my mind is stretched,
sometime today,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-05-03 22:39 by frtylicks.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 4, 2021 00:28

Still in Love is a stone cold masterpiece. I love it. Incredible to think that they decided it wasn't worth releasing.

Date: May 4, 2021 01:21

Can't heap enough praise on this release - I've been like a kid in a candy store indulging, devouring, and digesting for two months now, and I'm still discovering and appreciating new things on it.
Taking a brief break from it now for a little while, but it's almost an addiction and can't wait to get back to it...3 cds of Fully Finished Studio Outtakes...bless whoever is responsible for leaking this!

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 8, 2021 02:15

Fully Finished Vinyl on Discogs

[www.discogs.com]

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: May 8, 2021 11:05

Lien
Fully Finished Vinyl on Discogs

[www.discogs.com]

Vinyl made from lossy digital files is not exactly what we want...

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 8, 2021 14:28

crawdaddy
Thanks so much for the tips guys and will see how it goes on a lazy Sunday afternoon tomorrow.smileys with beer

C’mon mate. Waiting for your reply on Whirlpool too!!

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 8, 2021 23:33

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: May 9, 2021 10:01

Wow! Where do I get me a marple vinyl from? I assume it also comes in Old Lady Grey too?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 9, 2021 13:40

....or Elon Musk ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hickorywind ()
Date: May 9, 2021 16:01

Still In Love has got to be the best Stones song in decades and is right up there with their greatest work .Cannot believe it was never released officially.

Posted by: mickboy ()
Date: May 10, 2021 03:44

Rip-off!
Just got the 3 cd for $25.
Uncool in this day and age .......$30 a disc includes shipping.
Total rip off.
Mickboy

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: May 10, 2021 06:33

Yep, uncool.

Damn, I am no longer the master of my domain. Damn!

I'm out.

jb

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3435363738394041424344...LastNext
Current Page: 39 of 48

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home