Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 48
Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on IORR Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: April 7, 2021 15:59

The Stones are going to contract it, they are going to do something, finally release the expected mega box tracks or they are going to pass the Olympic Games.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 7, 2021 17:03

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Wow. That recently released version of Fast Talking doesn't really sound like Taylor for the most part. The solo still sounds like something Taylor would play but not as much as the older version.

I agree, it sounds very much like something Taylor would play, but I really think it is Keith. It is not as smooth and technical like Taylor would play, and some of the bends are out of tune, something I never heard Taylor play.

Mathijs

Maybe Richards is playing through Taylor’s rig. It has that same Coloursound pedal Taylor used for other tracks on IORR.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2021 23:00

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
Wow. That recently released version of Fast Talking doesn't really sound like Taylor for the most part. The solo still sounds like something Taylor would play but not as much as the older version.

I agree, it sounds very much like something Taylor would play, but I really think it is Keith. It is not as smooth and technical like Taylor would play, and some of the bends are out of tune, something I never heard Taylor play.

Mathijs

Maybe Richards is playing through Taylor’s rig. It has that same Coloursound pedal Taylor used for other tracks on IORR.

Not to downplay Keith's overall skills, but it almost seems a bit too "technical" for something he would ever play. At the same time, it's a bit too sloppy for something Taylor would play.
If it's Keith, maybe he's digging deep and/or showing off some of his rarely heard "virtuosity", or if it was Taylor maybe he was a bit high/drunk or simply tired.
Or...maybe Keith was laying down a blueprint type of guide for Taylor to follow in later takes, but I don't think Taylor's ever needed any guidance from anyone.

Date: April 8, 2021 00:11

There is no trademark Taylor vibrato if I heard the right version.Likely Keith then.

Date: April 8, 2021 01:50

I’ve had some of the same thoughts here. The lead break has a sort of trademark feel to Taylor, but I don’t hear the vibrato. Would it be due to the fuzz effect? Same one he used on Can You Hear the Music? I’m not sure I remember vibrato on that one.

I also thought it could be a take where he was figuring out a part. Or it could be Richards.

Posted by: engerling23 ()
Date: April 8, 2021 01:53

What you guys think the stones themselves think of this leak?
Are they shocked? Or they don't care.
I think the leak took away the opportunity to rework stuff for upcoming albums.

Date: April 8, 2021 01:56

TravelinMan
I’ve had some of the same thoughts here. The lead break has a sort of trademark feel to Taylor, but I don’t hear the vibrato. Would it be due to the fuzz effect? Same one he used on Can You Hear the Music? I’m not sure I remember vibrato on that one.

I also thought it could be a take where he was figuring out a part. Or it could be Richards.

If you listen to "Short & Curlies" Keith is playing throughout song, very reminiscent of Mick Taylor to me.. I like that song a lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-08 01:56 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: April 8, 2021 05:46

engerling23
What you guys think the stones themselves think of this leak?
Are they shocked? Or they don't care.
I think the leak took away the opportunity to rework stuff for upcoming albums.

It must be painful for them. Well, at least sort of. But despite the title of this leak, many tracks are definitely not "fully finished". The fact that, for example, "Worried About You" was available on the "Reggae 'n Roll" bootleg did not hinder them to release it on "Tattoo You", so why would the appearance of any given track in this leak be any different? You can't hide the fact that these are no brand new tracks anyway.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 8, 2021 05:53

Probably chuffed..honored and laughin' ta have Stones
stuff part of one of thee greatest drops of all time ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 8, 2021 11:03

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Which Colorsound pedal? He used a Wah/Fuzz on the 1973 tour, but I don't hear it on the IORR album. Most effects there are real leslie, and most of the chorus/phasing and octaver sounds are from the EMS Hi-Fly Synthesizer.

Mathijs

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 8, 2021 12:51

How do we KNOW (is it just wishful thinking?) that there are 2 more volumes of outtakes to come? After all, the COVER of the “official” release of the 3 CDs already available calls Cd1 VOL 1, cd2 is called Volume 2 and cd3 is called Volume 3. So, that’s 3 “Volumes”, no? Yet we talk of 3 volumes, so eagerly await 2 more sets.

Rod

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 8, 2021 14:23

bitusa2012
How do we KNOW (is it just wishful thinking?) that there are 2 more volumes of outtakes to come? After all, the COVER of the “official” release of the 3 CDs already available calls Cd1 VOL 1, cd2 is called Volume 2 and cd3 is called Volume 3. So, that’s 3 “Volumes”, no? Yet we talk of 3 volumes, so eagerly await 2 more sets.
I think that's where the confusion comes from, we already have all three volumes of outtakes

Date: April 8, 2021 15:54

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Which Colorsound pedal? He used a Wah/Fuzz on the 1973 tour, but I don't hear it on the IORR album. Most effects there are real leslie, and most of the chorus/phasing and octaver sounds are from the EMS Hi-Fly Synthesizer.

Mathijs

Info comes from an article about the ‘73 Euro Tour. Taylor had a Octivider and a Sustain by Colorsound. The Sustain is like an overdrive pedal and not the Supa Sustain, which is a compressor. Although he might have used these live and not in studio.

There is a distinct fuzz he used on Hear the Music and other tunes from that era. Could be the Hi-Fly

Date: April 8, 2021 17:25

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Mathijs

Info comes from an article about the ‘73 Euro Tour. Taylor had a Octivider and a Sustain by Colorsound. The Sustain is like an overdrive pedal and not the Supa Sustain, which is a compressor. Although he might have used these live and not in studio.

There is a distinct fuzz he used on Hear the Music and other tunes from that era. Could be the Hi-Fly

I doubt he used those pedals on stage in 1973, at least I don't hear them and I have never seen a picture of these on stage. If I recall correctly he had these during the Tubular Bells sessions.

He did use a Colorsound Fuzz/Wah for sure on the 1973 Euro tour. The deep, throaty 'woman' tone on Gimme Shelter and Heartbreaker from London 9/9/73 is this pedal for sure, and he sometimes engaged the fuzz for the frantic ending of SFM.

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

Date: April 8, 2021 18:36

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Mathijs

I doubt he used those pedals on stage in 1973, at least I don't hear them and I have never seen a picture of these on stage. If I recall correctly he had these during the Tubular Bells sessions.

He did use a Colorsound Fuzz/Wah for sure on the 1973 Euro tour. The deep, throaty 'woman' tone on Gimme Shelter and Heartbreaker from London 9/9/73 is this pedal for sure, and he sometimes engaged the fuzz for the frantic ending of SFM.

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

This comes from an interview done during their rehearsals. So he probably didn’t use them on tour if we can’t hear them, although the Sustainer can sound like just an overdrive.

“Mick Taylor has three pedals on the floor: Sustainer, Octivider, and Wa-Wa Pedal.”

Date: April 8, 2021 19:05

TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Mathijs

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

This comes from an interview done during their rehearsals. So he probably didn’t use them on tour if we can’t hear them, although the Sustainer can sound like just an overdrive.

“Mick Taylor has three pedals on the floor: Sustainer, Octivider, and Wa-Wa Pedal.”

Here's Taylor in the studio, with a Colorsound Sustain Module, a Vox Wah, a Copycat Tape Delay and a Colorsound Wah Fuzz. I don't recognize the black pedal behind him.

Mathijs

Date: April 8, 2021 19:32

Been on to CD #2 now in car cd player the last couple of days for full immersion, absorption, and digestion...some familiarity, but also lots of gems.

Can't Find Love has crept it's way into my psyche - it has a nice repetitive infectious groove, and Mick's singing is tops...even some great falsetto.
On the not so positive side, it reminds me a bit of some other mid '80s soft/pop/rock...maybe a bit of Bruce Hornsby (That's Just the Way it Is)...nowhere near as cheesy as that tune, but sort of veers in that realm.
Listening now on laptop low volume and actually loving it more and more...again that repetitiveness...unrelenting with lots of slinky guitars throughout...Mick's falsetto...reminds me slightly of Heaven....

Date: April 8, 2021 20:32

Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan
Mathijs
TravelinMan

Mathijs

Mathijs

[www.youtube.com]

Mathijs

Here's Taylor in the studio, with a Colorsound Sustain Module, a Vox Wah, a Copycat Tape Delay and a Colorsound Wah Fuzz. I don't recognize the black pedal behind him.

Mathijs

Is that in Germany?

Maybe that black box is for the headphones?

Posted by: Freebird1959 ()
Date: April 8, 2021 21:18

Those shoes...............

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 8, 2021 21:50

TravelinMan

Is that in Germany?

"English guitarist Mick Taylor at Advision Studios, London, during the recording of jazz flautist Herbie Mann's album 'London Underground', 5th November 1973." (Photo by Michael Putland) - [www.GettyImages.com] .

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: April 8, 2021 22:28

Agree, Hairball, Can't Find Love is just great. Has kind of Think I'm Going Mad simple groove about it, Mick is on top form, and the piano playing is subtle and beautiful. Who plays piano there?

I put together all of the '82 tracks from FFSO, called it Wasted Opportunity, and Ilove it. Would've made such a great, soulful collection - with Dreams I Can Remember, and the sensational Still in Love.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 9, 2021 00:11

Rockman
Probably chuffed..honored and laughin' ta have Stones
stuff part of one of thee greatest drops of all time ....

They already got at least a couple on that list tho...

My #1 would be Live'r Than You'll Ever Be, pure history in that one.

jb

Date: April 9, 2021 00:28

peoplewitheyes
Agree, Hairball, Can't Find Love is just great. Has kind of Think I'm Going Mad simple groove about it, Mick is on top form, and the piano playing is subtle and beautiful. Who plays piano there?

I put together all of the '82 tracks from FFSO, called it Wasted Opportunity, and Ilove it. Would've made such a great, soulful collection - with Dreams I Can Remember, and the sensational Still in Love.

Yeah peoplewitheyes, was also going to ask for credits on that track...

Another semi-nice one on CD#2 is Dream About...at least part of it...the opening bass comes thumping in synched nicely w/drums...w/some nice little funk licks on guitar...Mick sounds a bit like Sly...
But then it takes this odd detour at the one minute mark, and starts getting a bit weirder and weirder...in a bad way, and unfortunately starts sounding more and more like a terrible Mick solo tune at the 1:30 mark...
Thankfully it then drops back to the opening bass and drum groove, but it might be too little too late...not sure if the tune can be saved.. I have mixed emotions, and would like it more if all the crappiness was edited out.

Date: April 9, 2021 08:19

Irix
TravelinMan

Is that in Germany?

"English guitarist Mick Taylor at Advision Studios, London, during the recording of jazz flautist Herbie Mann's album 'London Underground', 5th November 1973." (Photo by Michael Putland) - [www.GettyImages.com] .

Thanks

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 9, 2021 08:26

I really like the call and response Mick does as both a woman and a man near the end of "Curtis Meets Smokey". It cracks me up and I admire the creative spark that's happening in real time.

"What this song needs right now is a guy and a gal yelling 'Awwright!' at each other!"

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 9, 2021 11:24

Hairball
peoplewitheyes

Yeah peoplewitheyes, was also going to ask for credits on that track...

Another semi-nice one on CD#2 is Dream About...at least part of it...the opening bass comes thumping in synched nicely w/drums...w/some nice little funk licks on guitar...Mick sounds a bit like Sly...
But then it takes this odd detour at the one minute mark, and starts getting a bit weirder and weirder...in a bad way, and unfortunately starts sounding more and more like a terrible Mick solo tune at the 1:30 mark...
Thankfully it then drops back to the opening bass and drum groove, but it might be too little too late...not sure if the tune can be saved.. I have mixed emotions, and would like it more if all the crappiness was edited out.

+1 that's exactly what happens in that tune Hairball. yet my opinion in the end is a thumb down smiling smiley

Dreams to Remember Outtake
Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: March 9, 2021 00:24

Hello,

just a question about this beautiful song. Sounds similar to the Otis Redding one but also it is different.

Is it a Otis Redding cover ?

Bye
Fernando

Re: Dreams to Remember Outtake
Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: March 9, 2021 00:34

It is yeah.. it's the Stones way of doing a cover.. like Just My Imagination

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: March 9, 2021 00:43

OK Ok thanks for your clear answer.

Fernando

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 9, 2021 16:43

sounds very good to my ears !
any guess when is was recorded ?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 48

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home