Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 48
Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on IORR Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 2, 2021 20:16

sure, did not want to interfere

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: April 3, 2021 03:31

got mine from the Swedish dude too, everything A-OK on my end.

jb

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 3, 2021 08:14

Brace yaselves for the FLOOD
of Fully Finished vinyl sets acomin' ...

Scrooge McDuck lime green splatter six vinyl set ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 3, 2021 13:36

"I Can See No One Else".

Seemingly a DIRTY WORK out-take. A drunken "Paint It Black" meets (to begin with not so sober either) "Wanna Hold You"? A funny, merry and catchy 60's pop feel melodically in it, and I wonder if polishing a 'bit' of its boy choir would have make it better or less charming as it is.

It is more like a raw sketch, and probably the track doesn't exactly scream an album release, but, once again, a nice example of how much musical variance there was at the time of DIRTY WORK, and they had potentiality to do something else than what made the album.

Someone might have done a massive 80's hit from that melodic hook and, my god, it would have been a pain in the ass in the long run, but I am not sure if the Stones had been suitable for that...

- Doxa

Date: April 3, 2021 14:47

some here consider "I can see no one else" as a kind of sketch or prototype or double of "One hit" and I can hear why, some similiarities in the rhythm and progression. but I see it differently, it is not a double but another output from the same mould that goes in a different direction (you described it very well Doxa, I would just add an '80s new wave sound feel in that piano), it would have added consistency and stregth to the album.
imo

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: April 3, 2021 16:34

Doxa
I wonder if polishing a 'bit' of its boy choir would have make it better or less charming as it is.

That's kind of how I felt when comparing the two versions of "Fast Talking, Slow Walking". I hadn't heard the more well-known version before hearing the one on FFSO, so it was interesting comparing the two. The previously bootlegged version does try for that epic feel that is hinted at in the song (and that I agree should have been explored), but for me it doesn't work as well as the more laid-back and less ambitious FFSO version.

On the other hand, I much prefer the previously bootlegged version of "Living In The Heart Of Love" over the one in FFSO.

Date: April 3, 2021 17:47

jahisnotdead
Doxa
I wonder if polishing a 'bit' of its boy choir would have make it better or less charming as it is.

That's kind of how I felt when comparing the two versions of "Fast Talking, Slow Walking". I hadn't heard the more well-known version before hearing the one on FFSO, so it was interesting comparing the two. The previously bootlegged version does try for that epic feel that is hinted at in the song (and that I agree should have been explored), but for me it doesn't work as well as the more laid-back and less ambitious FFSO version.

On the other hand, I much prefer the previously bootlegged version of "Living In The Heart Of Love" over the one in FFSO.

Isn't it just two different mixes of the same take of Fast Walking?

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: April 3, 2021 18:52

maumau
Irix
maumau

why spend money for a CD with tracks "inflated" from mp3 files that anyone can get for free?

Some like to have a physical copy .... [iorr.org] .

I can relate easily with the appreciation of the physical copy, i do buy records and cds, but here what you get in those physical copies is just the same mp3 lossy sound files, not a real cd quality music

Someone once wrote that when you buy a lottery ticket you buy hope until the numbers are drawn. That is worth a dollar.

It may make some sense if you think about what you are really buying. I bought a 1969 show pressed cd that was available free here because I was at the show. Somehow the pressed cd made me feel closer to the show. I am guessing that the not available until April 7 3 cd set is stolen from Captain Acid. And his upload sounds better to my ears than the original mp3s. But I ordered it because it feels more like a boot since it comes from bootleggers in Japan just like back in the 90s. Time travel for me. And I do not feel I am harming Captain Acid because he has already been ripped off so many times and does not seem disturbed by it. He just keeps putting up nice remasters. Anyway, that's how I see it.

Date: April 3, 2021 19:14

understand your point smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-03 19:14 by maumau.

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: April 3, 2021 19:18

TravellinMan
maumau
Irix
maumau

why spend money for a CD with tracks "inflated" from mp3 files that anyone can get for free?

I can relate easily with the appreciation of the physical copy, i do buy records and cds, but here what you get in those physical copies is just the same mp3 lossy sound files, not a real cd quality music

Someone once wrote that when you buy a lottery ticket you buy hope until the numbers are drawn. That is worth a dollar.

It may make some sense if you think about what you are really buying. I bought a 1969 show pressed cd that was available free here because I was at the show. Somehow the pressed cd made me feel closer to the show. I am guessing that the not available until April 7 3 cd set is stolen from Captain Acid. And his upload sounds better to my ears than the original mp3s. But I ordered it because it feels more like a boot since it comes from bootleggers in Japan just like back in the 90s. Time travel for me. And I do not feel I am harming Captain Acid because he has already been ripped off so many times and does not seem disturbed by it. He just keeps putting up nice remasters. Anyway, that's how I see it.

Sorry to be pedantic but the latest 3CD set was announced on Tuesday where as Captain Acid announced his set on the Wednesday (UK time)- I assume that it’s a case of ‘great minds think alike’ regarding the dates of this disk. It’s great to hear what the good Captain does but I think you were square on the nose regards collecting. I much prefer finding a silver online or, better still, in a store!

Posted by: TravellinMan ()
Date: April 3, 2021 19:35

sandandglue
TravellinMan
maumau
Irix
maumau

Sorry to be pedantic but the latest 3CD set was announced on Tuesday where as Captain Acid announced his set on the Wednesday (UK time)- I assume that it’s a case of ‘great minds think alike’ regarding the dates of this disk. It’s great to hear what the good Captain does but I think you were square on the nose regards collecting. I much prefer finding a silver online or, better still, in a store!

I miss browsing in used bookstores too,

The song order is slightly different on the chronological release from Japan than from what Captain did. I will give both a listen when the physical copy of the Japan release arrives and post my impressions. I am hoping the Japanese release includes the wonderful liner notes.

Date: April 3, 2021 20:07

I doubt this will see release on vinyl, spatter color or not. Just too expensive to produce and pressing plants are notorious for ratting out their booting clients. Cheap and simple CDs, especially the follow-on CDRs, will be where this stays I think. If a good quality vinyl version did come out though, I would be in line.

jb

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: April 3, 2021 21:41

jbwelda
I doubt this will see release on vinyl, spatter color or not. Just too expensive to produce and pressing plants are notorious for ratting out their booting clients. Cheap and simple CDs, especially the follow-on CDRs, will be where this stays I think. If a good quality vinyl version did come out though, I would be in line.

jb

jbwelba, do you really want to listen to MP3 recordings with additional clicks, pops, crackles, wow, flutter, distorsion and hiss ?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 3, 2021 23:43

maumau
why spend money for a CD with tracks "inflated" from mp3 files that anyone can get for free? can't grasp

Maybe because if vol.1-3 sell out we'll get more new stuff on vol.4-6? 7-9?
It's a true "maybe" I have no insider info.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 3, 2021 23:50

Is 60 euros worth 3 CDs of unreleased songs? Another way of looking at it.

Date: April 4, 2021 01:40

LiveAtHidepark
jbwelda

jb

jbwelba, do you really want to listen to MP3 recordings with additional clicks, pops, crackles, wow, flutter, distorsion and hiss ?

Well, I wasn't born yesterday so you can fill in the blank, but I didn't say I would listen to them, just get in line to buy them. Plus none of that you mention necessarily has to be there with good equipment and decent mastering. Could well sound as good or better than what is commercially offered everyday, actually.

jb

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: April 4, 2021 13:01

To be honest..that is a completely different take on Fast Walking

Posted by: JohnnySnapps ()
Date: April 5, 2021 03:07

I just gave a close listen to the first couple of minutes of Fast Walking, Slow Walking. For comparison I used the recent Fully Finished Studio Outtakes version and the version from "Fast Talking" VGP 237. I think they are two different takes.

Charlie's drums are different during the part where Mick sings, "Ain't it hard to find a guy through this life at all" (He sings it "guy in this world at all" on the FFSO version) around 1:30 into the song. On the VGP version he plays the ride cymbal through this part. On the FFSO version he sticks to the hi hat.

I'm pretty sure the wah guitar is different also. At the very beginning, on the VGP version, he is playing the phrase very steady, very much in time with the beat, and he holds the chord and lets it fade as the lyrics start. On the intro of the FFSO version, he is doing a little pull off in the beginning phrase instead, and he doesn't let the chord ring when the lyrics start.

I wish they had done more with this tune and included it on the deluxe Exile.

That's my two cents...

Oh, and that FFSO set was such a fantastic surprise! What a treasure trove!

Date: April 5, 2021 09:07

JohnnySnapps
I just gave a close listen to the first couple of minutes of Fast Walking, Slow Walking. For comparison I used the recent Fully Finished Studio Outtakes version and the version from "Fast Talking" VGP 237. I think they are two different takes.

Charlie's drums are different during the part where Mick sings, "Ain't it hard to find a guy through this life at all" (He sings it "guy in this world at all" on the FFSO version) around 1:30 into the song. On the VGP version he plays the ride cymbal through this part. On the FFSO version he sticks to the hi hat.

I'm pretty sure the wah guitar is different also. At the very beginning, on the VGP version, he is playing the phrase very steady, very much in time with the beat, and he holds the chord and lets it fade as the lyrics start. On the intro of the FFSO version, he is doing a little pull off in the beginning phrase instead, and he doesn't let the chord ring when the lyrics start.

That's my two cents...

Thanks! thumbs up

I never doubted there were differences, but wondered whether the drums, bass and guitar were the same. I have only listened to this version once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-05 19:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 5, 2021 10:11

I don’t “support” either of you two dudes going at it. Why are you both bothered? Just dig the music.

Rod

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 6, 2021 09:25

DandelionPowderman
JohnnySnapps

That's my two cents...

Thanks! thumbs up

I never doubted there were differences, but wondered whether the drums, bass and guitar were the same. I have only listened to this version once.

It's two different versions, this version has the Leslie guitar plays out of tune. Is that Richards? I always assumed it was Taylor, but I never heard him play out of tune.

Mathijs

Date: April 6, 2021 09:35

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
JohnnySnapps

That's my two cents...

Thanks! thumbs up

It's two different versions, this version has the Leslie guitar plays out of tune. Is that Richards? I always assumed it was Taylor, but I never heard him play out of tune.

Mathijs

It's a weird figure/motif to be Keith, but most likely it is, I'd say.

But I gotta listen more. Haven't really had the time to listen properly to all this wonderful stuff smiling smiley

Date: April 6, 2021 12:43

DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Mathijs

But I gotta listen more. Haven't really had the time to listen properly to all this wonderful stuff smiling smiley

What the heck are you guys talking about, what recording??

Date: April 6, 2021 12:57

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
Mathijs
DandelionPowderman

Mathijs

What the heck are you guys talking about, what recording??

Fast Walking from the "Fully Finished Studio Outtakes"-set.

Date: April 6, 2021 13:17

thumbs up

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: April 6, 2021 23:49

Wow. That recently released version of Fast Talking doesn't really sound like Taylor for the most part. The solo still sounds like something Taylor would play but not as much as the older version.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 7, 2021 09:14

Trouble's A Coming .....

Lurv da grindin' groove
Makes ya walk backwards when I'm tryin' ta go forward ... ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 7, 2021 12:34

TravelinMan
Wow. That recently released version of Fast Talking doesn't really sound like Taylor for the most part. The solo still sounds like something Taylor would play but not as much as the older version.

I agree, it sounds very much like something Taylor would play, but I really think it is Keith. It is not as smooth and technical like Taylor would play, and some of the bends are out of tune, something I never heard Taylor play.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-04-07 15:08 by Mathijs.

Date: April 7, 2021 15:41

Mathijs
TravelinMan

I agree, it sounds very much like something Taylor would play, but I really think it is Keith. It is not as smooth and technical like Taylor would play, and some of the bends are out of tune, something I never heard Taylor play.

Mathijs

I don't know if we listen to the same version, but this solo lacks a vibrato on the longer tones which always adds some "drama" to these kind of solos. Likely not Taylor.

Date: April 7, 2021 15:53

Rockman
Trouble's A Coming .....

Lurv da grindin' groove
Makes ya walk backwards when I'm tryin' ta go forward ... ...

y l t c a a a a a x e e e e

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3132333435363738394041...LastNext
Current Page: 36 of 48

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1962
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home