Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 48
Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on IORR Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 14, 2021 12:30

DandelionPowderman
Compare the vocals to Old Habits Die Hard, especially the high notes. Sounds like the same era to me.

posted on March 3rd: drinking smiley

TooTough
"Nobody´s Perfect" sounds like Mick´s
songwriting around Alfie.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 14, 2021 14:34

Inspired by you guys, been listening closely to "Nobody's Perfect" but it is damn difficult to say anything specific of its origin. Had there not that note by Bill Wyman (in ROLLING WITH THE STONES) and the mention of it in a bootleg cover, I wouldn't have ever located it near to DIRTY WORK sessions. Yeah, for me it really sounds like this centurian Mick to me (phrasing, cliche-like a bit over-interpreting and empahasizing certain sounds and utterances), and melodicwise it really resembles ALFIE era. I can't recall Mick using that type of melody hooks so clearly earlier (although SHE'S THE BOSS already shows indication for that direction). Also lyrically it has a ALFIE 'mindset' (something we could also hear in some A BIGGER BANG things like "Biggest Mistake" and "Laugh I Nearly Died"). Soundwise probably there is a resemblance more to Mick's 80's solo albums (and probably GODDESS). That's not Charlie on drums for sure. Of the guitars I cannot really say - it has some typical Stones-like licks, which must be Ronnie.

Anyway, Mick really hasn't changed that much since the 80's, especially since SHE'S THE BOSS, so I think it could be very well, say, a left-over from SHE'S THE BOSS sessions Mick tried with the Stones during DIRTY WORK sessions (by the time Charlie was not around), which also fits to Bill's notes. History has shown that anomalies happen.

I like the tune, by the way. A nice, little compact thing. Well written, but probably lacking some distinguishness. Qualitywise equal to many things they - or he - have officially released. Not particularly better or worse.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-14 14:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 14, 2021 15:32

Yep it has a 'theme' about it...like the Alfie songs. Seems like another song for a movie.
There's no Keith on this.
No Charlie.
Dubious about any Ronnie on this also (although some parts sound RW-like)

Still feel the vocals are 85...but happy to be wrong.

Interesting...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 14, 2021 15:47

re: Its Only Rock N Roll...what a gem.....and who the f can't hear Bowie on this track?...obvious to me he's on it.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 14, 2021 16:18

Are there any techies here who can help with a question? OK - you likely only need to be competent, which I’m not... I was able to load the tracks onto iTunes and burn CDs, but for some reason the tracks won’t load onto my iPod. I tried several times and there are no issues with any other tracks, so I’m baffled. My MacBook isn’t terribly old. Was hoping for a nice session with my earphones this afternoon... confused smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 14, 2021 16:39

Rip This
re: Its Only Rock N Roll...what a gem.....and who the f can't hear Bowie on this track?...obvious to me he's on it.

Only really obvious at the 4:07 mark...the rest of the time he's mostly overshadowed by Ronnie oddly enough...or not !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 14, 2021 16:44

you hear him with that voice from much earlier. He's on there. And its glorious.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 14, 2021 16:49

Doxa
Inspired by you guys, been listening closely to "Nobody's Perfect" but it is damn difficult to say anything specific of its origin. Had there not that note by Bill Wyman (in ROLLING WITH THE STONES) and the mention of it in a bootleg cover, I wouldn't have ever located it near to DIRTY WORK sessions. Yeah, for me it really sounds like this centurian Mick to me (phrasing, cliche-like a bit over-interpreting and empahasizing certain sounds and utterances), and melodicwise it really resembles ALFIE era. I can't recall Mick using that type of melody hooks so clearly earlier (although SHE'S THE BOSS already shows indication for that direction). Also lyrically it has a ALFIE 'mindset' (something we could also hear in some A BIGGER BANG things like "Biggest Mistake" and "Laugh I Nearly Died"). Soundwise probably there is a resemblance more to Mick's 80's solo albums (and probably GODDESS). That's not Charlie on drums for sure. Of the guitars I cannot really say - it has some typical Stones-like licks, which must be Ronnie.

Anyway, Mick really hasn't changed that much since the 80's, especially since SHE'S THE BOSS, so I think it could be very well, say, a left-over from SHE'S THE BOSS sessions Mick tried with the Stones during DIRTY WORK sessions (by the time Charlie was not around), which also fits to Bill's notes. History has shown that anomalies happen.

I like the tune, by the way. A nice, little compact thing. Well written, but probably lacking some distinguishness. Qualitywise equal to many things they - or he - have officially released. Not particularly better or worse.

- Doxa

On first listening, I've pinpointed this track directly to Primitive Cool - due to the vocal delivery and the fact that any rough edges that would indicate any Stones involvement are missing. However, it's possible that this little thingy derives from the She's The Boss sessions, brought over to the Stones to see if it could be of use for Dirty Work, then after some tentative work (possibly including some licks from Ronnie) discarded, and then resurrected for Primitive Cool with finalized vocals by Mick, only to be discarded once again.

It was a short timespan anyway, and for that time period a certain crossover between solo and Stones work would represent not that of a huge anomality as it may appear now.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 14, 2021 17:05

it is hard to go further back than primitive cool here though you are right is a very short timespan (tho time has changed and back in the eighties 3 years were much longer than now)
she's the boss stuff is much more layered than this straightforward and frankly tasteless pop rock, very hard to consider it from the same time than many tracks here from the eighties that sound so fresh and brilliant instead

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 14, 2021 17:05

SomeTorontoGirl

I was able to load the tracks onto iTunes and burn CDs, but for some reason the tracks won’t load onto my iPod.

The iPod doesn't support FLAC by default. If your iTunes supports FLAC-files (due to an extension), then you can simply convert the FLAC-files via iTunes to ALAC (Apple Lossless) and copy them onto your iPod.

Go in iTunes to Settings -> General Preferences -> Import settings and switch there to the Apple Lossless Encoder. Mark in iTunes the FLAC-files and go in the iTunes menu-bar to Files -> Convert. 'Create Apple Lossless' should be the option there.

Since you have a Macbook, you could also use the X Lossless Decoder (XLD) and convert the FLAC-files to ALAC for the iPod.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-14 18:15 by Irix.

Date: March 14, 2021 18:46

Irix
SomeTorontoGirl

I was able to load the tracks onto iTunes and burn CDs, but for some reason the tracks won’t load onto my iPod.

The iPod doesn't support FLAC by default. If your iTunes supports FLAC-files (due to an extension), then you can simply convert the FLAC-files via iTunes to ALAC (Apple Lossless) and copy them onto your iPod.

Since you have a Macbook, you could also use the X Lossless Decoder (XLD) and convert the FLAC-files to ALAC for the iPod.

Thanks Irix - I thought the files were in MP3 format. I’ll try the above, but fully expect a grand failure and buckets of tears. Pray for me...to find enough alcohol to get through this.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 14, 2021 22:16

SomeTorontoGirl

I thought the files were in MP3 format.

Normally, the iPod plays MP3-files without issues. If iTunes can play it, the iPod can play it too (exception: 3rd-party solutions). Informations about the file-type can be found via right-click -> Get info -> File (or press Command-I, then choose File). Don't try it with force (or alcohol) .... winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 14, 2021 23:16

Some Toronto Gal we are ALL praying that you have enough booze to make it thru ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 14, 2021 23:38

Irix
SomeTorontoGirl

I thought the files were in MP3 format.

Normally, the iPod plays MP3-files without issues. If iTunes can play it, the iPod can play it too (exception: 3rd-party solutions). Informations about the file-type can be found via right-click -> Get info -> File (or press Command-I, then choose File). Don't try it with force (or alcohol) .... winking smiley

Thanks so much. I’ll try that when I finish sulking after my initial - miserable - attempts. You may be saving a life here. grinning smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 14, 2021 23:56

Who do you hear on the backing vocals on Sanctuary?

And am I the only one who loves this tune?

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: March 15, 2021 00:04

peoplewitheyes

Nope, you‘re notspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: March 15, 2021 00:19

peoplewitheyes

Love it! Keith and Bernard?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 15, 2021 00:24

Eleanor Rigby
Yep it has a 'theme' about it...like the Alfie songs. Seems like another song for a movie.
There's no Keith on this.
No Charlie.
Dubious about any Ronnie on this also (although some parts sound RW-like)

Still feel the vocals are 85...but happy to be wrong.

Interesting...

Nobody’s Perfect is absolutely, unmistakably Charlie Watts on drums. Sounds like Mick playing rhythm guitar with some chorus-like effect. Ronnie doing the fills on a Strat. I would guess it’s Chuck playing Wurlitzer.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: March 15, 2021 00:25

Such an eerie, raggedy vibe, and both Mick and Keith sound like they are fully on board with it

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 15, 2021 01:12

dubclub
peoplewitheyes

Nope, you‘re notspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

you are not the only one at all smiling smiley
i hear mick keith and bernard on vocals
a really great funky sketch that screams to be finished and released

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 15, 2021 03:01

monkberry00
DandelionPowderman
The vocals on Nobody's Perfect are obviously from the 2000s. The guitars sound like 1977-79 to me.

You may have a lot of guitar strings but you don't have a clue about the music, you never did.

That's one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen here. Beyond ignorant.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 15, 2021 03:19

Rockman

Some Toronto Gal we are ALL praying that you have enough booze to make it thru ...

Dude, get clued in!

Alcohol is NOT allowed at an exorcism.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 15, 2021 03:40

retired_dog
Doxa

- Doxa

On first listening, I've pinpointed this track directly to Primitive Cool - due to the vocal delivery and the fact that any rough edges that would indicate any Stones involvement are missing. However, it's possible that this little thingy derives from the She's The Boss sessions, brought over to the Stones to see if it could be of use for Dirty Work, then after some tentative work (possibly including some licks from Ronnie) discarded, and then resurrected for Primitive Cool with finalized vocals by Mick, only to be discarded once again.

It was a short timespan anyway, and for that time period a certain crossover between solo and Stones work would represent not that of a huge anomality as it may appear now.

It certainly has the sound of PRIMITIVE COOL vocally. There are nuances that he does in Kow Tow. Seeing that it appears to be from the July - August RPM sessions in 1985 and is clearly Charlie on drums and Ronnie's dangle playing, and knowing how DIRTY WORK turned out, it didn't fit at all.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: March 15, 2021 04:01

monkberry00
You may have a lot of guitar strings but you don't have a clue about the music, you never did.

Maybe it was supposed to be funny ? I'm still searching the link with the music.

Date: March 15, 2021 04:17

Thanks Rockeeeee, got lots of alcohol but am finding it somewhat counterproductive.

Treacle, you’re not invited to my next Exorcism.

Irix, am still shut out, even after your help and calling in a few favours at this end. My Import preference is set at MP3. Maybe I’m doing the alcohol part wrong... didn’t Bobby just fill the bathtub? Where’s my rubber ducky?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 15, 2021 05:45

Rockman

Bootleg factories are runnin hot .......

Good one Rockee. Maybe you can help me --- who's the guy up in the little doorway up above (and don't say goddess in the doorway!), what is he doing in the process of pressing the boots?

plexi

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 15, 2021 09:11

GasLightStreet
]
It certainly has the sound of PRIMITIVE COOL vocally. There are nuances that he does in Kow Tow. Seeing that it appears to be from the July - August RPM sessions in 1985 and is clearly Charlie on drums and Ronnie's dangle playing, and knowing how DIRTY WORK turned out, it didn't fit at all.

Yes Mick's singing on "Kow Tow" or "Say You Will" immediately came to mind when I heard NP, listened to them too much back in the day!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 15, 2021 09:32

who's the guy up in the little doorway up above

That's Keef Tim .....
Cant ya see the scarf .... hhhHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: March 15, 2021 10:08

GasLightStreet
retired_dog
Doxa

- Doxa

Keith is on it, too. Listen to the licks right before Ronnie’s solo (center/right). Not even Jimmy Rip would go to such lengths copying those licks smiling smiley

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: March 15, 2021 12:08

Rockman
who's the guy up in the little doorway up above

That's Keef Tim .....
Cant ya see the scarf .... hhhHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ahhh yes. I see that now!

plexi

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2223242526272829303132...LastNext
Current Page: 27 of 48

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1520
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home