Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 48
Re: Fully Finished Studio Outtakes on Hot Stuff!!!!!!
Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 6, 2021 19:55

Boarder
Stupid question: There is a youtube channel by a guy named niels who uploaded some of these new outtakes yesterday. However, he also uploaded Drift Away and Honest Man in perfect quality. But these two are not on the new CD, right? Are they probably from the rumoured upcoming packages or have they been released before?

yes! What about this??? video: [www.youtube.com]

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 6, 2021 20:10

nobody's perfect is unbelievable and not in a good way imo. it is labelled as 1975 but it sounds like a don't stop part II and has to my ears the sound of 2002. so, if it is genuinely a 1975 outtake not reworked it traces mick and keith weak writing way back in the past. anyway, the bridge part is really something weird for a song penned in the mid seventies imo although I hear something that might recall an uptempo through the lonely nights. my guess is that it is an old track reworked more recently.

weaker track in the whole bunch, to me anyway

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 6, 2021 20:13

Really enjoying what Ive heard. I am familiar with a few of these cuts. Nice to hear them cleaned up.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 6, 2021 20:26

maumau
nobody's perfect is unbelievable and not in a good way imo. it is labelled as 1975 but it sounds like a don't stop part II and has to my ears the sound of 2002. so, if it is genuinely a 1975 outtake not reworked it traces mick and keith weak writing way back in the past. anyway, the bridge part is really something weird for a song penned in the mid seventies imo although I hear something that might recall an uptempo through the lonely nights. my guess is that it is an old track reworked more recently.

Imo this song (the worst of the bootleg) comes from Primitive Cool sessions or Dirty Work.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 6, 2021 20:27

Trust your ears.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 6, 2021 21:25

pichenot
Hairball

Let me simplify my previous post regarding Sanctuary - I LOVE IT....for the most part. winking smiley

WE NEED MORE of the same, and MORE of different type things! MORE. MORE. MORE! Feeling greedy now...

Three more cd's coming soon filled with this type of stuff...we have been blessed. Quite a mystery how or why, but no questions asked...just give us more please!thumbs up

Can you digest these 50 songs before asking for more new songs? Or it's just to add a new line in your excel file like a good friend of mine would say!

Well I did say I was getting greedy ha, and as someoneelse mentioned in another thread, there's always the risk of having all of the other material could being snatched away from our grip for one reason or another.
Again, no questions asked...give us more!

As for "add a new line in your excel file", that's all foreign language to me as I only know the most rudimentary basics of how to download and hit play.
Normally I would rely on good friends, but gonna try and burn to a cd later so I can play it in car, studio, etc., but first have to get some more blank cd's and figure out how to do it.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 21:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 6, 2021 21:34

Scarlet:
The guitar-solo is missing!
I thought that would have been Jimmy Page.
So what was his contribution to this song?
Anyone knows?

Date: March 6, 2021 21:44

deardoctor
Scarlet:
Anyone knows?

According to Jimmy, it was indeed him playing the solo - not sure why it's missing in this version, though have to admit I've paid very little attention to this one.
From official Rolling Stones youtube channel > The story of Scarlet featuring Jimmy Page

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 6, 2021 21:54

MelBelli
I guess this violin on "Too Tight" is the same guy who played on "Any Way You Look At It"? Is it actually a violin?

Frankie Gavin. Funny that Keef called back the man who played on "The Worst" 4 years earlier...

Date: March 6, 2021 22:07

add brass to dreams to remember and release an undercover deluxe in 2023, precious

Date: March 6, 2021 22:11

trouble's a coming really a good "seed" hear luxury and crazy mama coming in an exile concoction

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: March 6, 2021 22:16

Hairball
deardoctor
Scarlet:
Anyone knows?

According to Jimmy, it was indeed him playing the solo - not sure why it's missing in this version, though have to admit I've paid very little attention to this one.
From official Rolling Stones youtube channel > The story of Scarlet featuring Jimmy Page

Thank you hairball. I know this clip. But I see only two possibilities: 1. No Jimmy Page in Scarlet. Solo is modern overdub, maybe Ronnie, definitly not Keith.
2. Page did the overdub recently, then the legend story which they told in that clip is a fake. Or am I wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 22:28 by deardoctor.

Date: March 6, 2021 22:21

don't lie to me and eliza upchink perfect b-sides to whatever, whenever

does anyone here know more about eliza upchink?

putty in your hands, lovely cover to fill any album, even a NEW album NOW...

deep love thumbs down i'd love to hear don covay and bobby womack sessions instead

dog shit: so and so, I can hear steel wheels vibe coming, and it is not my cup of tea

walk with me wendy and never make cry just for the love of hearing them trying and jamming in studio, nothing unforgettable

part of the night, a whole different story, a great fm ballad almost finished there, great piano, who's there?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 22:59 by maumau.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 6, 2021 22:38

digging You Better Stop That .. what era is this? Undercover?

Anyone figure out the lyrics? Sounds like Mick sings :"A can of Raid" which I doubt but would love if the lyric "can of Raid" was in a Stones' song

Date: March 6, 2021 22:44

snoopy2

Anyone figure out the lyrics? Sounds like Mick sings :"A can of Raid" which I doubt but would love if the lyric "can of Raid" was in a Stones' song

1983 it says, really groovy, licks have 1982/1983 written all over
really interesting stuff from the eighties

really can't tell what mick says..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 22:47 by maumau.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: March 6, 2021 22:55

Mathijs
I understand the source of this release is in mp3 format and was quite compressed to begin with. The bootlegger added more mastering to it...

It makes dating the tracks not easier. Curtis Meets Smokey is supposedly from 1969, but it does sound much more like Undercover session to me. Guitar is in Wood's soul style, bass sounds like it is Jim Barber or something. But the piano again sounds like Nicky Hopkins.

Mathijs

Not to mention there's a conga player on it.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 6, 2021 23:12

Well that Scarlet could be an earlier (or later, who knows) version or at least mix that doesnt include Jimmy Page. He would have been recorded on a separate track I would think so you could drop him in or out as you pleased. The liner notes of this and other unofficial (or, hell, for that matter, official) releases need to be taken with a grain of salt and I just think this take was probably mixed from tapes made before Zep dude laid down his solo and was maybe in fact what he played to while he was composing and recording his thing.

The "add a new line in your excel file" is probably supposed to imply OCD as in the only reason one would get something is to be able to say they have it, not for the enjoyment of what music is on it. Collector's disease basically. Correct me if I am wrong.

jb

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 6, 2021 23:20

maumau
snoopy2

Yes "Stop That" is from the UC sessions and has been available in various formats (not as complete or good as this one) for decades, literally, since it first appeared as "Chainsaw Rocker" in 1996 on the "Chain Saw Massace" boot in 1996.

Again, the dates on the tracklist are "clueless" for the most part, check out this thread for the updated consensus on each song : [iorr.org] - also it seems that NZB has had fresh info that's allowed him to allocate many tracks to the B2B sessions.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 6, 2021 23:28

gotdablouse
maumau
snoopy2

Yes "Stop That" is from the UC sessions and has been available in various formats (not as complete or good as this one) for decades, literally, since it first appeared as "Chainsaw Rocker" in 1996 on the "Chain Saw Massace" boot in 1996.

Again, the dates on the tracklist are "clueless" for the most part, check out this thread for the updated consensus on each song : [iorr.org] - also it seems that NZB has had fresh info that's allowed him to allocate many tracks to the B2B sessions.

Hadn't seen that thread yet, thanks! Hadn't heard this one before (I don't think anyway) Love it though. (apologies for quoting the entire text above, have yet to figure out how not to)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 23:29 by snoopy2.

Date: March 6, 2021 23:28

deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Scarlet:
Anyone knows?

Thank you hairball. I know this clip. But I see only two possibilities: 1. No Jimmy Page in Scarlet. Solo is modern overdub, maybe Ronnie, definitly not Keith.
2. Page did the overdub recently, then the legend story which they told in that clip is a fake. Or am I wrong?

Here's this from a series of tweets Jimmy posted on July 20. 2020, saying he added the solo the second night of the sessions: Jimmy Page on Twitter

- On this day in 2020, Scarlet by @RollingStones, featuring me, is released.
I was invited to Ronnie Woods’ house in Richmond to do a session in October 1974. It was said that Keith Richards and Ian Stuart (Stu) would be there.
It sounded a good opportunity to catch up with old friends.?There was Keith Richards on electric guitar, myself on electric guitar,
Rick Grech on bass and a drummer and engineer I had not met before. Keith kicked it off and I began to mould a riff around his guitar part to augment the arrangement.
It began to lock-in pretty soon with the musicians and we all got a successful take that evening. I’d had a good time working with Keith. ?
It was said they were continuing the following night at Island Number 2 Studios in London. I said I’d go and play some guitar soloing on it.
I arrived early on that evening and got to do it straight away within a few takes. It sounded good to me and I left them to it.?

-----------------------------------------

Could be this newly unearthed version is from the first night before the solo was recorded, but even some of the rhythm guitar and the time/chord changes sound like Jimmy.
Definitely not his best by a longshot, but rather some throwaway jam session ideas as is the entire song that was officially released last July 20th.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-06 23:30 by Hairball.

Date: March 6, 2021 23:29

KRiffhard
maumau

Imo this song (the worst of the bootleg) comes from Primitive Cool sessions or Dirty Work.

Ronnie on guitar.

Date: March 6, 2021 23:31

deardoctor
Scarlet:
Anyone knows?

He added the solo on a session the next day. Apparently, this is a mix of the work they did the day before.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 6, 2021 23:42

The remarkable thing is a lot of these late period songs are better than what was released on albums. There's an energy and an urgency that has been lacking for many years.

Posted by: Duked ()
Date: March 7, 2021 00:08

My current fav of the collection is Nobody's perfect. They should have released this on Dirty Work! A kinda "romantic ballad", with the DW - energetic Jagger voice.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 7, 2021 00:18

Scarlet is obviously the same basic track as the GHS Deluxe version, but this one is not as over-loaded. It doesn't have the (IMHO superfluous) acoustic guitar and maracas that was probably added by Mick last year. (He did mention adding a maracas in an interview around the time of the deluxe release.)
Makes me think that the lead vocal may actually be from 1974 after all. Maybe the GHS Deluxe version has a mix of old and new Mick. I haven't compared carefully. I believe Keith is more audible here as well.

By the way, if these outtakes are no newer than 2002, as has been speculated, why would it have Scarlet and Potted Shrimp (Tell Her How It Is) with modern Mick vocals? Either these vocals are on the original tapes from '71 and '74, or they are newer but no later than 2002, or this collection has stuff that's been worked on after 2002 (maybe 2010 in the case of Tell Her How It Is).

There's so much here to discuss, I'm still just listening to track 17! smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-07 00:19 by LieB.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: March 7, 2021 00:26

maumau

I disagree totally
I downloaded the set and read about how the quality was great
With trepidation I played track 1 and within 10 sec I was smiling and involuntary punched the air
I could not believe what I was hearing
This was absolutely fantastic
I love the ‘Mick’ songs as much as all Stones songs
It’s a ripper
But hey different strokes for different folks and that’s ok

Date: March 7, 2021 00:28

"...involuntary punched the air" grinning smiley

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 7, 2021 00:58

deardoctor
Hairball
deardoctor
Scarlet:
Anyone knows?

Maybe it's a case of Pagey just missing in this mix.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: March 7, 2021 00:59

>There's an energy and an urgency that has been lacking for many years.

Thats what happens when something is overproduced, all the vitality is sucked right out of it.

jb

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 7, 2021 01:21

The violin player on Too Tight maybe the woman who played on Anyway You Look At It.Having listened to the entire download of songs,IMO. part of the Night is the best song.If it had finished lyrics it would be a really good song.Most of the rest of the songs need to be finished Some are just not that interesting or good.There is no Moonlight Mile or Slipping Away here.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 48

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1377
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home