Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Happy 73rd Birthday Rory Gallagher
Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: March 2, 2021 22:25

Raise a glass or two!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 22:27 by roryfaninva.

Re: OT: Happy 73rd Birthday Rory Gallagher
Date: March 2, 2021 22:38

Former Rolling Stones star Bill Wyman has confirmed a longtime rock 'n' roll myth - tragic Irish blues great Rory Gallagher almost grabbed the spot that was to become Ronnie Wood's in the band.

The bassist reveals Mick Jagger and Keith Richards flew Gallagher out to Holland to rehearse with the Stones after Mick Taylor quit the group suddenly at the end of 1974, and they seriously considered adding him to the line-up.

Interviewed for a new documentary about Gallagher, Wyman says, "Rory stayed two or three days there and played some nice stuff. We had a good time with him, but I think Mick and Keith felt that he wasn't the kind of character that would have fit.

"If he'd have been in the Stones, he wouldn't have been singing and that was one of his strong points. He would have just been playing (guitar) solos... and learning to be subservient to two big egos. I don't think it would have worked."

Date: March 2, 2021 22:50

Keith wanted Ron Wood anyway I think, even if John McLaughlin would have asked for the job. Below Rory's brother telling his side of the story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-02 23:00 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: March 2, 2021 22:57

Apparently Glyn Johns and Ian Stewart lobbied for Rory- but even at 16 years old, I knew Ronnie Wood was the man for the job. Perfect fit and no musical agenda of his own. But its easy to tell how Rory's no nonsense rock/blues approach would appeal to Mick and Keith.

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: March 2, 2021 23:11

It is often the case that the better a guitar player is, the worse he is at Chuck Berry songs.

Not this time:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 2, 2021 23:17

When Mike Douglas asked Jimi "What's it was like to be the best rock guitarist in the world?" Jimi responded "I don't know, you'll have to ask Rory Gallagher"

smileys with beer

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 3, 2021 01:21

Great guitarist and a gentle soul. Met him briefly once in 94. Doesn’t get the credit he deserves I feel.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: March 3, 2021 03:38

[www.youtube.com]

Rory Gallagher - I fall apart

Fantastic song Rory wrote - just brilliant everything. from 3.00 min to end the intense playing

Date: March 3, 2021 03:44

His control over the solo is intact - never gets to the JP level of chaotic and sloppy genius what I love about JP.

Date: March 3, 2021 18:04

[www.youtube.com] Jimmy Page short interview on RG

[www.youtube.com]
slash on Rory

Date: March 3, 2021 20:07

Circa 1974....in his prime.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 5, 2021 15:10

He is still having a large fan base in Japan.
video: [www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home